• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The "but it's worse elsewhere" argument always makes me cringe. Women who have it worse in India is also tragic, but a bit off topic.
I'm not fucking saying that. I'm saying the same problem happens elsewhere without the grossly inaccurate generalization of "Islamic Culture" being applied, which means your post is hot garbage and doesn't address the REAL underlying issues.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Sickening. I don't know what else to say. This mindset existing anywhere in the modern world is insane.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how to say this without it being casted as more American imperialism/globalism, but we need to find a way to somehow change the cultures in these countries across the world and stamp this shit out. If such a thing were possible, the side effect would be less people fleeing these conditions or the people who do flee for other reasons being more able to integrate in their new homes.

The question would be how?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm not fucking saying that. I'm saying the same problem happens elsewhere without the grossly inaccurate generalization of "Islamic Culture" being applied, which means your post is hot garbage and doesn't address the REAL underlying issues.

I responded to a post specifically about the victim's culture. Which has been an overwhelmingly (like 90%) conservative Muslim nation for hundreds of years where sexual violence is never reported due to a lengthy legal process utilizing mafia-level intimidation technique against women. I then stated that progressive muslims flee such places for the west, which is why I hate the racism against such families who simply want to practice their religion without the insane bigotry.

I'm open to debate what part of that is "grossly inaccurate."

Update: death penalty for the murderers

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

A Bangladesh court has sentenced 16 people to death for the murder of a student set on fire after accusing her teacher of sexual harassment.

The headteacher Nusrat had accused of harassment and two female classmates were among those convicted.

The trial has been one of the quickest in a country where such cases usually take years to conclude. Prosecutor Hafez Ahmed told reporters it proved "that nobody will get away with murder in Bangladesh".

Lawyers for the defendants say they will appeal.

The investigation into Nusrat's death revealed a conspiracy to silence her which included her own classmates and a number of powerful men from within the community.

Three teachers, including the headmaster, Siraj Ud Doula, who police say ordered the killing from prison after he was arrested under suspicion of harassment, were found guilty by the court on Thursday. Another two of the defendants found guilty, Ruhul Amin and Maksud Alam, are local leaders of the ruling Awami League party.

A number of local police were found to have collaborated with those convicted in spreading false information that Nusrat had committed suicide. The officers were not among those tried for Nusrat's murder.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

The problem is religion and the gross traditions and culture that where spawned from it and that stupid extremists people still follow all around the world. And wether you like or not, Islam is a part of it. Most religions are or where a part of it. Humans are pieces of shit and religions tend to get the worse out of a big part of them. That's the issue.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the likelihood of a failed hanging and a slow painful death for those involved?

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. How much garbage can spew forth from a single post is incredible. How do you explain the burning and setting women on fire in neighboring India, which happens way more often? Is India "Islamic Culture" too? The country you are talking about has currently a woman elected as Prime Minister, by the way. Did she get burned alive for daring to run? Making sweeping generalizations about "Islamic Culture" is the talk of new atheism and racists. This is a case of an authoritative figure using his goons to coverup his deeds and escape justice and he very well could have - if the victim did not survive. Of course there is discussion to be had of gender norms and prevalent sexual crimes in the subcontinent, and making vast generalizations is not the right start.

You really can't handle criticism of the religion, can you?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
You really can't handle criticism of the religion, can you?

It wasn't criticism but more like horse shit.

Same as arranged marriage, that shit is regional and not Muslim specific, same as acid attacks, same as women genetal mutilation. These things happen In non-Muslim countries while also being absent in many Muslim countries yet all of them are attributed to Islam.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same as arranged marriage, that shit is regional and not Muslim specific, same as acid attacks, same as women genetal mutilation. These things happen In non-Muslim countries while also being absent in many Muslim countries yet all of them are attributed to Islam.

No one was saying that certain thing were specific to Islam, that said, some things happen more often in Islamic countries compared to other parts of the world. I'm very well aware of what happens to LGBT people in most Islamic countries for example. So no, it's not horse shit that this kind of behaviour is linked to religion.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Most horrific way to go. I have no shame in wishing these 16 disgusting monsters a similarly agonising fate.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this story. Can't support the death penalty but I am relieved they won't be able to hurt anyone else.

The amount of people involved, especially women, that went along with this is depressing as hell.

Scary to think how this would have been swept under the rug (prick judge tried to dismiss the case at first) if it didn't spawn such an outcry.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
17 lives in total will be lost because of a stupid harasser trying to cover up his bullshit. I have no issues with the punishment to the 16 involved, but of course the police will have no consequences...

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

This is an idiotic argument. Should we disallow well founded criticism of the Carholic Church? Because, hey - the Boy Scouts in the region also covered for pedophiles and discriminated against LGBT? And "not all Catholics!"

Disregard for a moment the headline grabbing atrocities, but consider the daily regular abuse often accepted as a way of Muslim life against women who aren't just gay - but dare to stray from tightly conservative gender roles. Just like anyone other culture/religion/nation - Islam deserves to be associated with the reputation it has earned.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a person from Bangladesh I am ashamed to say sometimes we go one step forward and two steps back. Most powerful person in BD is a woman to tragedy like this. It's disgusting but I am glad to see justice is being served. I hope these people find the deepest pits of hell.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Someone explain to me how this happens? I just don't understand the motivations of the community.

Just shocked by how vicious this was caused by people largely unaffected by what she had accused her headmaster of.

ps3ud0 8)

Mostly because God hates women. For thousands of years society treated women like property and that mindset is still persistent to this day.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in no way pro death penalty but I'm glad justice is served and the execution also sends a strong message for cases like this. Justice being served makes me happy.

The "strong message" will be lost. 17 people dead because 1 asshat couldn't keep his hands to himself, and didn't want to face consequences for his bullshit actions.

I mean, think about this situation. Its utterly depressing. A woman speaks out about sexual assault? Dead. Other female students (!!!) torture and kill her by setting her on fire? Dead. Men in the community who coerce the students? Dead. Possible police who were going to go along with the suicide story? Dead. The teachers who helped support the story? Dead. The asshole who actually committed the sexual assault, and was already in jail for harassment? Dead.

Such a waste. And really, no justice is going to be served. That poor girl's family is still going to be in fear for their lives. Look how many people were involved in trying to cover up the murder. It involved the police! Do you think the families of the convicted are going to drop this?

Really sad story.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
A number of local police were found to have collaborated with those convicted in spreading false information that Nusrat had committed suicide. The officers were not among those tried for Nusrat's murder.
these cops need to be dealt with as well, they've been complicit in Nusrat's death, they've probably participated in countless other acts against other men and women as well.