• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

On August 23, 2018, the utility mailed a warning letter to the 72-year-old's home in Sun City West, where she lived with her cat, Cocoa. Pullman owed APS $176.84, it said. She had five days to pay in full. Otherwise, APS would disconnect the electricity. Outside, temperatures were in the triple digits.

APS didn't cut off Pullman's electricity on August 28. Pullman's final electric bills show that on September 5, 2018, the day after her Social Security check normally arrived, she paid APS $125.

It wasn't enough. Two days later, on September 7, APS disconnected her electricity. That day, temperatures hit at least 105 degrees Fahrenheit, instruments recorded in nearby Youngtown showed. Smith recalled it was 107 degrees.

This is all really fucked up, but here's the thing... I only found out about this at all because I got an e-mail from APS yesterday...

Dear Customer,
Summer heat is here, and APS wants to help customers stay safe in areas with extreme temperatures. The safety of our fellow Arizonans is our number one priority. We share customers' and others' concerns about customer well-being and service disconnections during the height of summer heat. We are announcing that temporarily we are not disconnecting residential customers who are behind on their payments.
During the next 30 days, we will conduct a thorough review of our disconnect procedures and bring together a group of community organizations, limited-income advocates and other public agencies to work together on the best options to help customers keep their service connected.
Please know that even though service will not be disconnected, customers will continue to be billed for energy used and are responsible for paying their bills in a timely manner.

That's right! They changed their policy... sort of. They won't disconnect customers over the next 30 days, when summer has barely even begun (note the woman in the original article died late August/Early September).

They are doing the barest of minimums to raise good will, all while they increased prices, made record profits, and have an effective monopoly over most of the area. More people are likely to die as since they raised rates there has been a 50% increase in power disconnects. (Source)

Fuck monopolies, fuck paid off politicians, and fuck people who put profit above human life.

The-Demon

Alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Well that should be considered murder, is that how much her life was worth fellas....50 fuckn dollars

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
That's insane. I work in human services and have seen some people's electric/gas bills in the $500-1000 range not be cut off. Cutting her off for that little, while she's making partial payments, makes absolutely no sense.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Things are going to get worse and worse with corporations and their ability to be above the law compared to normal people. They want to be considered as people when it benefits them, and want to be considered something else when it benefits them there (can't send a corporation to jail, it's not a person hahahaha Regan laughing.jpg).

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got the same email, but interpreted the 30 day portion differently. I think they're saying that they'll complete their review of policies within that time period, not that they'll start cutting off power after 30 days.
When it's over 95 it shouldn't be legal to cut off power. Doing so is dangerous, as we see in this case. Even if it were 5-10 degrees less than 107 it would still have been dangerous and unethical to cut her power.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many utility companies maintain policies that they do not disconnect service if temperatures are above or below a certain number. I'm surprised to learn that all of them do not have these policies.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Many utility companies maintain policies that they do not disconnect service if temperatures are above or below a certain number. I'm surprised to learn that all of them do not have these policies.
Especially since APS is an Arizona utility. It, more than others, should recognize the dangerous extreme heat in the area.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to be shitty at all, but what happened to her cat?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, also around here AEP tend not to go forward with shut offs if you pay a partial bill. This shouldn't have happened.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
APS wasted millions of dollars to fight off and clean energy and put up puppet politicians in office just to fight them. It's fucking batshit how this is only happening now. This is basically abuse.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does this work in cold climates? Will gas or electric get cut off in the middle of a nasty winter?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She made a large payment to the bill and they would have no doubt got the rest of their money eventually. Instead they lead to her death. Capitalism ho?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's murder in my book.

Here's hoping she has family that will sue to bleed that company dry for their actions.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
APS is nasty; they essentially have the state government as their puppet through lobbyists. This doesn't surprise me. One of the important factors to look into when buying a Phoenix home is to be in the non-profit SRP service area.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
How does this work in cold climates? Will gas or electric get cut off in the middle of a nasty winter?
The thing I like about extreme cold vs heat is I can layer until I'm blue in the face when it's cold, but when it's hot and if power is out (Mississippi during Katrina, it was out for over a week) there was only so much you could do, you can't take off skin, the city's water pump was electric so it stopped working so I couldn't refill the tub after the water seemed nasty (too dark to tell, candles make everything yellow, flashlights don't represent color well). For heat it's torture.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People from the Sheriff's office noticed signs of a cat, but Cocoa was nowhere to be found.

Reading further in the story, the cat turned up hiding under the woman's bed. One of her daughters took it home to Ohio

Living in AZ, they can't disconnect heat in "excessive heat warnings' which are above 110 (and usually a day or two after). They really ought to change that to 100 degrees at bare minimum.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
APS is nasty; they essentially have the state government as their puppet through lobbyists. This doesn't surprise me. One of the important factors to look into when buying a Phoenix home is to be in the non-profit SRP service area.
What if APS eventually take control of that area though? These companies don't usually just be happy with what they got, they are pretty much looking at a map and playing a game of territory.

Oct 27, 2017
I love being able to choose between power companies here in Texas. In the summer, when it gets hot, the companies get into pricing wars with each other as you use more and more electricity.

The (better) alternative is to have required services be owned and run by the government as public utilities. We do that in much of Canada, and it works well. It removes the profit motive, and the well-being of all stakeholders (including the public) is considered.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

In most, if not all, states with cold winter climates there are laws to ensure utilities cannot cut off heat-providing utilities during winter months.

I'd imagine this rule isn't in place during hot-climate summers because we view air conditioning as a luxury rather than a necessity, even if that is an incorrect policy for such climates.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The (better) alternative is to have required services be owned and run by the government as public utilities. We do that in much of Canada, and it works well. It removes the profit motive, and the well-being of all stakeholders (including the public) is considered.

Yeah, but good luck ever bringing something like that to Texas. This is about the best we'll ever get here. At least, given the realities of living here, I can admit this is advantageous over a natural monopoly like electricity is in most of the US.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That's murder in my book.

Here's hoping she has family that will sue to bleed that company dry for their actions.
Can't, they may have so much money, and a army of powerful lawyers that will make it difficult to actually hurt or aggravate the company at all. If they feel like they may lose a case for a small but irritating amount of cash they may get the children to settle out of court for a small amount which may seem big to us (the lowest they can get away with).

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you have a law protecting yourselves? Here in Minnesota we have a cold weather law that prevents utilities from cutting the power during certain periods as a matter of public safety. A state like Arizona should absolutely have a hot weather law that functions similarly. Step it up

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why exactly is the US government so easily paid off by companies and why are companies allowed to monopolise entire areas?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
My grandma's utility company sends her threatening mail (to cut off service) for bills that are under 50 dollars. I dont get it. Cant they at least wait till it gets to 200-300 dollars?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's fucking deplorable. Fuck these companies and their bullshit. Someone lost their life over $50... unbelievable.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nevada law prevent shutting off power if it is over 105 even with unpaid bills