• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Your license, in most jurisdictions, is suspended for 6-12 months after a first DUI conviction and typically 2 years after a second.

Recap of our conversation:

Where am I criticizing the current laws?
you said you should lose your license... you already lose your license.

my argument is that punishment doesnt prevent crime, it never has. My argument is to prevent it before it happens. Take peoples keys at the bar, instead of setting up DUI checkpoints and no refusal weekends, let cops or someone else prevent horrible things by helping people arrange rides instead of just arresting them and running them needlessly through the system.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
So I think the speed limit at that part where the stadiums are is 55 but I would say the "flow of traffic" is about 70, give or take.

However, that stretch right there is like 3 miles 4 lanes in a city with a very passionate street racing culture. I could be doing 85 right there and get passed by a Hellcat or Hayabusa. I'm not clocking them but they are booking down that stretch.

This video ends on 95 but a few miles from this stretch. He is doing 130 on the street, not even highway.
youtu.be

epic philly motorcycle vs police helicopter

PLEASE READ B4 COMMENTING.... HELI ON ROUTINE PATROL SEES A GUY AT 100MPH IN A 35MPH ZONE. HELI USES THE LASER custom GPS/VIDEO mirrors. https://www....

it doesn't help that that stretch is also barricaded on both sides so unless you pass a cop while you are speeding, there is no on road enforcement.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Alcohol abuse, car accidents and drunk driving have been on a large rise since the pandemic alongside violent crime.

That is unfortunately entirely explicable given the incredible mishandling of the pandemic pretty much worldwide.

Anecdotally feels like a lot of people are either ramping up their drinking or going sober, I haven't had a drink in more than a year cuz I noticed I was drinking more than usual.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
People feel very strongly about this issue, to the point where I think it's very difficult to even acknowledge that people drive *a little drunk* all the time, especially from bars and restaurants. It's hard to imagine anybody that drives to a bar, isn't also driving back home with some drinks in their system. And if it was particularly late then there might not have been any other cars on the road. Idk how cops go about choosing how to enforce these things generally. Clearly this was the worst possible person to have given a second chance to.

We're talking about going twice the speed limit while impaired. Might as well let someone off for firing a gun aimlessly.

I recall an incident when I was this girls age. After a party, passed out drunk in my car, and when I woke up, I tried to drive home. I actually got pulled over for suspected DUI as I was driving suspiciously slow- I was so tired I was seeing objects and pedestrians that didn't exist.

The cop had to leave, but he took my keys, and made me call my roommate for a ride. He said we could pick up the keys at the station in the morning, and that if my car happened to be towed by then, it was fair punishment. I'm sure none of this was protocol, but an example of using discretion to actually make a situation safer.

That's what is so insane to me. She is suspected of being drunk and the cops leave her and head further down the road in a place where she will be driving later? What the hell?

Yeah the only thing more dangerous than a pedestrian on the interstate is a drunk speedster on the same interstate.

Adventure

May 7, 2021
Is it protocol to let a suspected drunk driver go if an emergency call comes in? That seems…not ideal.

Gonna guess that the cop was the only one in the vicinity at the time. I can see how a pedestrian wandering in the highway would seem more urgent than a possible drunk driver and the cop probably didn't have enough justification at the time to detain the drunk lady, legally. Sometimes you gotta make hard decisions in these kinds of jobs and you can't predict the future, just gotta make a quick risk/reward judgement call.