• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

WOLFENSTEIN: YOUNGBLOOD – LATEST UPDATE ADDS RTX & DLSS TECHNOLOGY
JANUARY 9, 2020
Paris is even more beautiful with Wolfenstein: Youngblood's latest update. Ringing in 2020, this new update adds ray-traced reflections and NVIDIA DLSS to the City of Light.

Paris is even more beautiful with Wolfenstein: Youngblood's latest update.

Ringing in 2020, this new update adds ray-traced reflections and NVIDIA DLSS to the City of Light. Thanks to these additions, you can now experience Youngblood with higher visual fidelity and better performance than ever before, which should make hunting down Nazis even more rewarding.

This new update is available to download right now for the following GeForce GPUs:
  • GeForce RTX 2060
  • GeForce RTX 2070
  • GeForce RTX 2080
How to enable Ray-Traced Reflections:
  • Options > Video > Advanced Settings
  • Scroll down to Ray-Traced Reflections and switch it on
  • Restart the game when prompted
You can also choose to enable NVIDIA DLSS in that same menu; simply select your preferred DLSS mode.
This new update also adds benchmarking for any video card (NVIDIA or AMD) that meets Wolfenstein: Youngblood's minimum required specs.
For more on ray-tracing and DLSS technology, check out NVIDIA's feature on what this means for your Wolfenstein: Youngblood experience.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this is a lead-in for Doom Eternal's ray tracing implementation.

Based on the trailer, it looks incredibly impressive... though I find it amusing that every surface is perfectly reflective with crystal clarity, with windows looking more like mirrors.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Based on the trailer, it looks incredibly impressive... though I find it amusing that every surface is perfectly reflective with crystal clarity, with windows looking more like mirrors.
Yeah as much as Ray tracing is impressive. Reflections in most games are way too pristine and perfect.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
They should have just done a proper sale on Steam with the release of this patch. I have to assume plenty of RTX card owners would be willing to give this a shot at like $20.

From the footage I saw so far it looks like a very good implementation. I'll give it a whirl later.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

what can i say...the Cyber-Nazists loves polishing their surrounding to a shine during their downtime.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
2080Ti Sli here.

Looks good, but it keeps crashing within 5 minutes. I don't know what is doing this but the screen goes black and I have to hard restart my PC. I disabled one 2080 and I'm still getting the same problem.

Edit - 3rd time. Fuck this. Not playing it anymore.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen, RT implementation is rather disappointing in what it adds in quality for its performance cost.

DLSS on the other hand is impressive, again. They've really improved it over the last several titles.

That's not true at all. Most reflective surfaces in RT mode of YB aren't mirror like. And windows are in fact mirror like in reality when they are reflective.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
So I finally fixed my crashing issue with a clean install of drivers and replaced my PCI-E cables which fixed the issue

Basically from what I see a vast majority of surfaces are now reflective, walls, metal and even some vynil fabric now reflects. Note the reflections on the guns and body as well as the reflection in thes scope. Playing this at 5k on i9-9700 @ 5.3ghz 32gb Corsair ram @2100Mhz and 2xSLi MSi 2080Ti and it runs between 80-140fps.

The RTX looks better and runs better than BFVs implementation.

F7WJCZl.jpg

HY0JzQ5.jpg

GCbmE39.jpg

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

IIRC diffuse reflections are actually much more computationally expensive

Jun 17, 2018
Not sure I care for how reflective some of those surfaces are, those windows must be extraordinarily clean! On another note, the trailer made the game look insanely fun, I just wish they had dropped the bullet sponge enemy types and RPG mechanics, they have no place in a game like Wolf in my opinion.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
6GB VRAM isn't enough for max settings at native 1080p:

screenshot_2020-01-11m8j0g.png

This isn't an issue at 1080p via DLSS as the game is rendering internally at 720p.

How can they measure 9.6GB of VRAM usage on a 6GB GPU, lol. Normally they should be having 6GB for all resolutions as the game would simply fill it. Those RTX2060 numbers are suspicious to say the least (especially since, according to the graph, the RTX2060 suddenly "requires" more VRAM than the RTX2080Ti. This shouldn't be happening).

Edit: Apparently, and after reading their article, this graph is for the RAM usage of the entire system, not for VRAM. Here is the right graph.

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
How can they measure 9.6GB of VRAM usage on a 6GB GPU, lol. Normally they should be having 6GB for all resolutions as the game would simply fill it. Those RTX2060 numbers are suspicious to say the least (especially since, according to the graph, the RTX2060 suddenly "requires" more VRAM than the RTX2080Ti. This shouldn't be happening).

Edit: Apparently, and after reading their article, this graph is for the RAM usage of the entire system, not for VRAM. Here is the right graph.

Do'h, yeah, sorry, I grabbed the wrong one. Fixed. Cheers!

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
But the system RAM is actually more interesting here, since an increase in usage with a 2060 means that stuff is being offloaded from VRAM to the system RAM resulting in big slowdown.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Is there an actual complete list of RTX compatible titles outside of the "big" ones everyone knows about, which also added after the fact patches like this? Yesterday I found out (va AGDQ of all things) that even indies like Amid Evil got Raytracing patches for RTX but I never saw it on any list.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
There is a command in this game to "suppress" raytracing and you can bind it to a key in the console. So even though it seems "comparison-unfriendly" at first (due to the fact that it asks you to restart the game when changing the setting), it is actually the first game that ships with an option to turn off raytracing via key press to my knowledge.

Just do "bind *key* r_suppressraytracing 0" and "bind *key* r_suppressraytracing 1". Toggle doesn't seem to be working.
Also make sure to not have it off during level transitions or else you get broken reflections when you load into the new map.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Patching in RTX 7 months later is really lame and doesn't inspire confidence in the tech.
What's even the latest on Doom Eternal? I remember it wasn't planned for launch before the delay.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I know this was delayed 6 months, but at least it performs better than DICEs 2 week effort at the last second for BFV. When you get frame rates above 100fps on a 2070 while having more reflective objects, it makes me wonder how badly cobbled together BFVs RT was implemented.

Then again this is literally lipstick on a pig.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Patching in RTX 7 months later is really lame and doesn't inspire confidence in the tech.
What's even the latest on Doom Eternal? I remember it wasn't planned for launch before the delay.
Anything which is absent from console h/w is usually patched in at some later date. Doesn't mean anything about the tech.

Nov 8, 2017
I know this was delayed 6 months, but at least it performs better than DICEs 2 week effort at the last second for BFV. When you get frame rates above 100fps on a 2070 while having more reflective objects, it makes me wonder how badly cobbled together BFVs RT was implemented.

It's a cool implementation for sure, but that's a bit unfair on DICE I think. They were in dev before BFV came out, we saw it months before launch, and it was a trailblazing title in that regard. It was always going to be the case that later implementations would be more performant.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I feel like reflections are the least important thing to use RTX for. Dying Light 2 will be using it for lighting like Metro and Control. That's the next one to really showcase why RTX is great.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Meh... Can we get RTX on the first 2? I actually wouldn't mind playing through those again.
First game is on an old ass engine. Second game didn't sell too hot so doubt they will go back and patch it. DLSS is the only way my 2080 can hold 60fps with rtx on and everything maxed out @4k. Dynamic res + vrs can't keep up with the performance hit. Overall with free style sharpening+ DLSS, the game looks rather good.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
First game is on an old ass engine. Second game didn't sell too hot so doubt they will go back and patch it. DLSS is the only way my 2080 can hold 60fps with rtx on and everything maxed out @4k. Dynamic res + vrs can't keep up with the performance hit. Overall with free style sharpening+ DLSS, the game looks rather good.

Surely Youngblood sold multitudes worse.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Surely Youngblood sold multitudes worse.
It was nvidia sponsored, probably part of the deal. Wolf 2 had VRS patched in later which I'm sure has something to do with it. The rtx implementation for this probably also carry over to doom eternal, although that's a newer version of the engine. I just hope it is shipped with rtx.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, maybe now I'll try it again, got it free with my laptop

What is DLSS? I can't select it? Maybe I need new drivers first

I'll try tomorrow now that I updated the drivers

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Being the first game to ship with DXR support, and being a 64 players multiplayer open world game with dynamic destruction, I'll take that as a complement. :)