• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This is huge. For the first time ever a Wolfenstein game will be released uncensored in Germany (with swastikas and all)

Previous games were released in edited form where you didn't fight against nazis but a "regime". Violence was intact but every reference of nazis or the third reich was removed.
On Steam access to the international versions was IP blocked (not giftable, not able to run with german IP, not able to redeem cd key etc.)

Link to the announcement:
(in german)

There will still be a german version because Bethesda wasn't sure if they would be able to release an uncensored version so they continued to work on it. German players will be able to choose between the edited german version or the international release!

Both versions got a USK18 rating today.

uski3jyd.png

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
About fuckin time. Every Indiana Jones flick had nazi symbols but games where we fought against the scum were censored.
Good to see that sanity prevailed.

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking how? I was ready to buy it from the Italian eshop... Will wait until release copies confirm that.

Hmm reading the article makes it clear that this is a case by case affair. Wonder if you can get the international version on the Austrian eshop.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice! It will still be very interesting to see how the USK will handle something like Battlefield, were you can play as a Nazi solider in multiplayer.
Can't see that having the same outcome.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
This is great news. I was a little scared after they rejected that multiplayer shooter. But it seems as long as you strictly mess nazis up, it should be all good.
Nice! It will still be very interesting to see how the USK will handle something like Battlefield, were you can play as a Nazi solider in multiplayer.
Can't see that having the same outcome.
They already rejected a game like that.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Not so much USK than a change in laws here which prevented video games from showing swastikas becasue they haven't been viewed as a form of art. Since that was changed it's possible now for us to have swastikas in games. I'd say the biggest step forward with less harsh censoring came around the time when Fallout: NV was released uncut and Gears of War got off the banlist. Since then we get pretty much parity with worldwide releases.

Edit: Looks like I'm wrong.

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not so much USK than a change in laws here which prevented video games from showing swastikas becasue they haven't been viewed as a form of art. Since that was changed it's possible now for us to have swastikas in games. I'd say the biggest step forward with less harsh censoring came around the time when Fallout: NV was released uncut and Gears of War got off the banlist. Since then we get pretty much parity with worldwide releases.
Oh I'm well aware of what led to the change, been following it closely. Just a short-hand happy reaction!

Oct 26, 2017
With the exception of anything related to Nazis. Buying games even in Austria was a huuuge minefield. So I usually got the UK or Italian versions to be sure

Oct 25, 2017
Bans of Nazi symbols are unrelated to the old violence bans, different entity entirely.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Yup, and now we have a precedent which will make future releases easier. See Mortal Kombat. Once that came out uncensored everyone could just point to that game and say "But you let that one through!"

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Oh I'm well aware of what led to the change, been following it closely. Just a short-hand happy reaction!
Ah ok, I get it :P
With the exception of anything related to Nazis. Buying games even in Austria was a huuuge minefield. So I usually got the UK or Italian versions to be sure
Oh was it? I've just read about instances where EU versions got dragged down (TLoU I think) but that ruling here in Germany never made any sense to me in the first place.
Bans of Nazi symbols are unrelated to the old violence bans, different entity entirely.
Yeah I kinda didn't make it clear that the violence bans are different from the law change, those are seperate events I was referring to.
Yup, and now we have a precedent which will make future releases easier. See Mortal Kombat. Once that came out uncensored everyone could just point to that game and say "But you let that one through!"
Yeah pretty much. I think much of the prior strictness was politically enforced after the tragic school shootings we had here. Video games have been a convenient scapegoat for politicians. Maybe I'm remembering events wrong but I thought it was weird how relaxed games have been classified ever since.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Actually, there was no change in laws at all. The laws are exactly the same as before. There was always the so called "Sozialadäquanzklausel", allowing Swastikas to be displayed in art. Thing was, USK just didn't apply that law to video games, too. This really is down purely to how the USK changed doing their business.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Actually, there was no change in laws at all. The laws are exactly the same as before. There was always the so called "Sozialadäquanzklausel", allowing Swastikas to be displayed in art. Thing was, USK just didn't apply that law to video games, too. This really is down purely to how the USK changed doing their business.
There was no change in law, just some challenges that made it pretty obvious that it's over.
Ok I see, I could swear I read something along the lines in a thread here. More power to USK in that case.

Oct 27, 2017
But will I be able to at least turn the UI in the international version into german?

The fact that there are still 2 versions is pretty stupid. They should've gone with one release and then censor it if needed.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Everyone deserves to kickback, relax, and enjoy the wholesome activity of blowing Nazis away.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh was it? I've just read about instances where EU versions got dragged down (TLoU I think) but that ruling here in Germany never made any sense to me in the first place.

Yeah, you never knew which version that shops were stocking. Pegi or USK. Then you had the problem that sometimes there was no German Pegi version, so if you only speak German, you had to get that. From the censorship to missing content, splitting online populations, altered game modes (mercenaries in RE3 for example) it has been a mess. And that mess persists with digital stores sometimes only releasing the USK version in Austria (Wolfenstein 2 for example).
Hell in the past some small game shops made quite a penny selling and shipping uncensored versions from Austria to Germany.

Luckily I speak English and italian as well so I have options.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great news, though I never even cared about swastikas. What was so bad about the german releases of New Order and New Colossus was that the German dub removed any reference to nazis and their belief system which was just beyond absurd and unnecessary. On top of that they even removed the english language option

Oct 26, 2017
Afraid of hurting the feelings of the Afd/Nazis probably
More like the legions of over zealous conservative nanny politicians that were responsible for this farce in the first place. Killerspiele are still a catch all expression to rally the "think of the children" morons.
I can't blame retailers not wanting to deal with these idiots going on a crusade again.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The funny thing is they clearly say Nazis in dialogue this time, even in the german "sanitized" version.

I haven't opened my copy yet but I have a feeling that is what I bought then. It says Nazis on the back cover but it does kind of look the Wolfenstein logo and not a swastika. Bought it from Müller.

Are the symbols the only difference? Because I am fine with that considering the coupon I used to buy my games Friday 🤷‍♂️

Ringu

Nov 1, 2017
Germany
I would love to know if they again erased Hitlers mustache in the sanitized version. Was the weirdest change in New Colossus...

Jan 2, 2018
How?

I thought this was an actual law over there?

They don't force retailers to sell this version, they just allow the uncensored version to be sold in Germany. It's up to those retailers, aswell as the platform holders, if they want to do it. MediaMarkt, Saturn, Microsoft and a few others apparently don't want to do it.

I haven't opened my copy yet but I have a feeling that is what I bought then. It says Nazis on the back cover but it does kind of look the Wolfenstein logo and not a swastika. Bought it from Müller.

Are the symbols the only difference? Because I am fine with that considering the coupon I used to buy my games Friday 🤷‍♂️

I don't know how the censored version of Youngblood is like, but the other Wolfenstein games didn't have the symbolism, references to the holocaust or even Hitler's mustache.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I was confused when I saw "international version" on the eShop, really nice to see it confirmed.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they can get fucked in the future then.

Most games won't get 2 versions anymore. The next WOlfenstein won't realease in a cut-version in germany.

I'm glad sony, nintendo and steam aren't trying to "save us".