• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did Wyatt and didn't like the Diesel gun.

In TNO there are slightly different paths to take because of the lock picks etc but in this game its just the weapon, and the corresponding charge station you can use. I think so.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I chose Wyatt and don't regret it but I hate how I seem to only ever find the laser charging stations. The gas ones blend in so much more easily.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
First post in ResetEra &... wow it's so good to see a lot of the familiar & old faces around here! Late to the party but super glad to see how the great discourse didn't change much from the old place.

Been reading some of the more negative opinions & I have to say that I honestly didn't expect to be so conflicted going into this one because I started TNC ready to love it just like I loved TNO & TOB. And... I don't. I neither hate it or love it but I find it such an uneven experience compared to MachineGames previous efforts. The best I would describe TNC is clumsy. From pacing, gameplay design, level design, encounter design, writing...etc. Some aspects are clearly far more superior like animations, visuals, unlocked framerate, meaty gunplay but then you face utterly bizarre design decisions like starting with just 50 base health instead of 100 which forrces the player to rely on the over-heal mechanic. It wasn't that great of a mechanic in the previous games but it didn't really affect the games that much. In TNC, a lot of the initial encounters are designed around gulping down every single goddamned medpack & armor shard that isn't nailed to the floor & rushing as fast possible to utilize your health efficiently which I need to remind everyone that this is done while you're looking away from the damned Nazis to aim at the items then pressing the use key. This is far more tedious in practice than said & I know some people might point out the previous games did the same thing but here it's exasperated because both health & armor can be vaporized almost immediately with some of the absolute worst player hit feedback I've seen in an FPS.

These problems weren't that big of an issue in the previous games, both TNO & TOB are still fresh in my mind so I can confidently say they avoided the same design pitfalls even though they share the exact same elements yet it's done much worse in TNC.

I'll post more thoughts when I finish the game but I definitely need to play through it for a second or third playthrough to make up my mind about the game but I'm disappointed that it isn't as a great or cohesive experience as TNO.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm pretty near the end of the game.
At the venus mission. Just got the Hitler scene.
Death Incarnate has gotten a lot more satisfying with 100 health and a lot of perks. Not really looking forward to Mein Leben. I had assumed this would be like the previous game where you keep all of your upgrades, but apparently there's no new game plus. Losing all my perks and upgrades is just tiresome, especially since you need to find the upgrade parts.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I have a question about the enigma codes I'll put in a spoiler:

Can you do the assassination missions after completing the main story? I want to complete as much as possible but I'm digging the story so much I also don't want to take any detours from it.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
wolfshipping2nuqp.jpg

doomdance.gif~c200

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Just beat the game. Ending was a bit anticlimatic gameplay wise but made perfect sense on a narrative level so I'm satisfied.

Ending was amazing.

My opinion of the game did a total 180 on the second half. This was an amazing game all around, and whatever gameplay problems it has it makes up for it big time on its second half. I need this game to do well because I need to see the end of this trilogy.

Bloody Five

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I finished the game.
Gameplay-wise, I agree that it gets a bit repetitive, the commander system is overused and sometimes the difficulty is all over the place.
But what bothers me is the narrative choices they made.
They are trying to shoot for me "look at this bunch of rag tag bunch of diverse characters fighting together against the nazi regime".
Problem is that it feels tacked on.
First, okay, you are running a resistance army but your nuclear u-boat looks like shared college apartment.
In the TNO, it was small cell and Caroline provided some military discipline.
Everytime I was on that boat I wanted to call everyone to attention and made them clean their mess.
Discipline is and tidiness is the backbone of any successfull military operation.

But my main grievance is the character of Grace.
I thought that she was unpleasant, a poor leader and written like a cliché angry black woman.
Plus, I don't believe for a second that you will be able to make communists, military types, blacks and whites with so different outlooks and background to work effectively together and in a cramped space to boot. . Real resistance movements, for instance, nationalists and communists against nazis, have been plagued by violent internal conflicts. It would have been more interesting, dramatically speaking, if the game had acknowledged the difficulty of co-existence but it prefers to go full on naive.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Some might say that it's cartoon and a video game but 1) if you have high narrative ambition, and to be fair, some things are excellent, 2) and if you want to take politics seriously, because the game actually does, well, go all the way.
By that, I mean that the game shows how people can easily compromise with totalitarianism but is afraid to show that you don't win a war with some college activist bullshit and that in real life, the resistance would fall apart in a matter of weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the combat a lot more on my second playthrough which is cool. I'm doing all the District missions but if they want me to grab all the collectibles, difficulties and upgrades they best be patching in a NG+ and chapter select option.

One room in particular is totally bugged out as you need the battle walker to access but an invisible wall blocks the jump. Really amateur hour stuff that I do not expect from MG.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Plus, I don't believe for a second that you will be able to make communists, military types, blacks and whites with so different outlooks and background to work effectively together and in a cramped space to boot. . Real resistance movements, for instance, nationalists and communists against nazis, have been plagued by violent internal conflicts. It would have been more interesting, dramatically speaking, if the game had acknowledged the difficulty of co-existence but it prefers to go full on naive.
So, I get where you're coming from here. But the game is also set in the 1960, more than 12 years after the USA's surrender. So I guess the logical mechanism for their working together at this point is desperation and previous failures alone.

I dunno, I guess you're right that it would have been more meaningful to see some kind of conflict other than
Grace and Fergus
calling each other names, but that's kind of a hallmark of the storytelling that MachineGames uses. It doesn't deal in moral grays so much as it does in obvious black and whites. Maybe they thought an internal conflict arc would diminish what they were trying to say about the antagonists.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Playing on PS4 Pro...seeing some weird flickering issue. Only around the horizon. Looking out at the "edge" of a level that is surrounded by water, where the sky means with water I get white flickering look.

Anyone else?

Yeah I saw this on the horizon in some of the sections with water. It didn't lead to any problems besides the visual anomalies.

Oct 30, 2017
I've only put about an hour in (on PS4) , and it was after work so I was I'm 110% stress mode which may have coloured my feelings somewhat, but doesn't it feel a little clunky in terms of movement and gunplay? I might be misremembering it, but I seem to recall the last game feeling pretty damn smooth and satisfying.

Last edited:

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game last night. Loved every second of it but man that end credits song was just awful.

In my opinion anyway.
Your opinion is wrong! I kid, I kid.

I just finished it 10 minutes ago and that music was incredible. I did not expect something that badass. It fits the tone and theme of the game perfectly. Plus, Mick Gordon and Machinegames know their shit. All the ambient music throughout the game was phenomenal too.

I loved every single second of this game. It did everything right. Absolutely everything. Great new characters, twists and turns I never saw coming, the story was just pitch perfect. The writing. Oh my god the writing.

I can't praise this game any more. Just incredible.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I updated my nvidia drivers to the newest one and my wolfenstein won't start at all anymore. I don't know if it was the nvidia update or wolfensteins own update tho. Anyone else have this problem? No error messages.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Found someone else who describes my problem to the tee.

"
It worked fine for me last night. Today the game auto updated. Then it refused to launch because my graphics drivers were out of date. So I updated them.

And now...the program fails to launch. No error message, no dialog, nothing. It silently fails.

Trying to start in Safe Mode makes no difference."

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm about to embark for what i believe to be the last level and only just discovered I can use the enigma machine station after being told where to find a working constrictor harness.

Currently I'm making my way through the Ubercommander assassinations.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished at 17~ hours.

It was a fun game, that would've been more fun the first several hours if the difficulty was better balanced. I feel like the ending snuck up on me though, I didn't expect it to end there for some reason.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of trophies Are the collectibles or any mission related trophy missable? I heard you can go back to levels and get collectibles you missed. Is this true?

Like as long as I don't start a new game from scratch can I still get everything? (bar the difficulty based trophies)

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
I'm about to embark for what i believe to be the last level and only just discovered I can use the enigma machine station after being told where to find a working constrictor harness.
I didn't realize the Enigma machine was available until about the same point, but I figured I had to talk to an NPC to get the system introduced (listened to my gamer instincts), but that just started up the final mission. So I've actually beaten the story and still have all of those missions to do. Weird.

A lot of the game felt weird honestly. And maybe it was just me, but most of the actual moment-to-moment objectives never stuck with me. I've got to activate what? To reroute the what? And why am I doing this again? Fuck it, I'll just bring up the objective indicator or try to find another area to go to.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
In terms of trophies Are the collectibles or any mission related trophy missable? I heard you can go back to levels and get collectibles you missed. Is this true?

Like as long as I don't start a new game from scratch can I still get everything? (bar the difficulty based trophies)

I believe you can get all of the collection items from the enigma missions, so yea. Also allows you to level up your perks and stuff.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't realize the Enigma machine was available until about the same point, but I figured I had to talk to an NPC to get the system introduced (listened to my gamer instincts), but that just started up the final mission. So I've actually beaten the story and still have all of those missions to do. Weird.

A lot of the game felt weird honestly. And maybe it was just me, but most of the actual moment-to-moment objectives never stuck with me. I've got to activate what? To reroute the what? And why am I doing this again? Fuck it, I'll just bring up the objective indicator or try to find another area to go to.
Yeah, I have the same issues. Some objectives were pretty straight forward and easy to remember, while others were kind of vague.

Finding the New Orleans dosier was a vague one. I found it completely by accident

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, I did feel a little lost more often in TNC than in TNO. I can't remember ever being confused, lost or forgetting an objective in the first game, but I did find myself pressing the hint button in this game.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it.

Final encounter was pure BS and the game had some problems with its difficulty and could get confusing with its objectives (glad I'm not the only one who felt that way) but overall it was really good. For me TNO is still the better game tho.

At any rate, I'll be there day 1 for Wolf 3.

SebTheCat

Oct 27, 2017

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
The wait for the X sucks man, I just have the game sitting and teasing me. Its installed on my external drive already but I know that I'm better off just waiting one more week. This thread isn't making it easy though....

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is there a collectible guide anywhere? not much fun looking for them in this game

strang

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this had been asked before but at the very beginning you can choose to save Wyatt or Fergus.

On the most recent Beastcast Alex insinuated that if you save Fergus you miss out on some really good cutscene stuff, but he wasn't specific and may have been mistaken.

So without spoilers is there a big difference between the choices and is there a consensus on which one to save?

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
turns out that ADS perk stacks with the laser rifle. Which can be charged. Which results in being able to one-shot absolutely any enemy in the game if you aim for the head.