• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The only thing I didn't like about THAT scene is that

it was pretty much what some people were speculating before release, so it lost some impact for me.

While the execution of the scene was perfect, I wish I hadn't spent so much time on the internet before the game came out.

Only myself to blame though.

Bandit1

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I just got to the crazy part lol. I'm having a blast with this game but man is it tough sometimes. Ended up having to lower the difficulty level for myself but I think I'll enjoy it more now that I can run and gun a little easier.

Also my first post on resetera!

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I just beat the game the other night. Overall I really loved it. Fun, solid gameplay. If I have one beef I'd say there's not enough enemy variety, and not enough weapon variety. Largely the same arsenal as the first game, and even then I just found myself using the assault rifle and pistol the most.

Some more spoilery issues:
I thought the whole confrontation with BJ's father could have been done better. I was kind of hoping for a dramatic fist fight or something, with BJ beating the crap out of his dad, instead he just effortlessly hatchets off his arm and plunges it into his chest in like a split second, sucked a lot of the drama out of the scene.
The scene right at the end where Anya throws her shirt off and you get a slow motion shot of her dual wielding assault rifles while her breasts jiggle and nazi blood splashes over her. Like, really? It seemed really gratuitous even for Wolfenstein.
The second half of the game felt really rushed story wise. Like you rescue Horton and his group from New Orleans... And then he doesn't do anything, you don't get to know him at all. The death of Frau Engel felt like it was lacking a lot of punch too. The final "Boss" being two kind of tough enemies was a big letdown too after the great final boss fight with Death's Head in TNO, or the big monster thing in TOB.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the gameplay felt too... safe? its the same loop over and over, and not the best loop. Wish the gameplay had some of the craziness and cinematography of the cutscenes lol.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the game the other night. Overall I really loved it. Fun, solid gameplay. If I have one beef I'd say there's not enough enemy variety, and not enough weapon variety. Largely the same arsenal as the first game, and even then I just found myself using the assault rifle and pistol the most.

I thought the whole confrontation with BJ's father could have been done better. I was kind of hoping for a dramatic fist fight or something, with BJ beating the crap out of his dad, instead he just effortlessly hatchets off his arm and plunges it into his chest in like a split second, sucked a lot of the drama out of the scene.
The scene right at the end where Anya throws her shirt off and you get a slow motion shot of her dual wielding assault rifles while her breasts jiggle and nazi blood splashes over her. Like, really? It seemed really gratuitous even for Wolfenstein.
The second half of the game felt really rushed story wise. Like you rescue Horton and his group from New Orleans... And then he doesn't do anything, you don't get to know him at all. The death of Frau Engel felt like it was lacking a lot of punch too. The final "Boss" being two kind of tough enemies was a big letdown too after the great final boss fight with Death's Head in TNO, or the big monster thing in TOB.

I agree with all that. Minor issues in the grand scheme of things but they definitely stood out compared to everything else.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I kind of agree about all three things.

The confrontation is a little anticlimactic, but I actually liked that in a weird way. It felt kind of thematically spot on.

The nude scene is totally gratuitous and just weird. The weirdness of it is emphasized by it being basically one of the last scenes of the game. It wouldn't have made it good if it was earlier in the game, but it might not have been so weird as having it be one of the last things you leave your audience with.

I agree with Horton not getting enough development, a few optional side-missions or something would have helped probably. I did like the death though, I thought that was way more satisfying than the end of TNO even.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not really enjoying this one

I'm starting to find a rhythm with the combat, but I can't get over how boring the levels are, how restrictive the health system is, and the glacial pacing.

There's way too much downtime in between missions here compared to TNO. I mean, the cut-scenes are my favorite part of the game, but there's just way too many of them in between the combat portions.

I also HATE the weapon wheel. It feels even worse this time around, as I often accidently activate dual wielding when I'm trying to remember where the weapons are. It doesn't help that it takes like a half second too long for the wheel to pop up, and once it does, it takes too long for BJ to switch weapons. The animation is way too slow. Doom already figured this out by having time slow down.

Machine Games, play Doom. It's a better FPS than you guys have made and there's a lot to learn from its gameplay.

And I might get in trouble for this, and I don't disagree with a single viewpoint made by the devs, and I very much enjoy all the characters, but I feel the political subtext here is way too sloppy and heavy handed. I just find it poorly written in a way I never found TNO to be.

I was kinda hoping TNC would be Wolfenstein played in the key of Doom, but instead I'm feeling like it's a worse version of its predecessor.

Does it improve past Roswell?

Oct 25, 2017
Does it improve past Roswell?
Game actually does pick up after Roswell IMO. especially story wise. Gmaeplay picks up slightly.

It doesn't play as well as doom still though but it's its own thing I guess. I feel like some small changes (time slow on weapon wheel/better hit awareness/response. Less hitscan. ) would make the game sing.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Some parts of this game are so damn amazing, especially story-wise, but other parts leave you confounded and thinking "how the fuck could they mess this up so badly?".

As so many already have mentioned incl. me, the damage feedback is utter shit, the game is obnoxiously unfair on harder difficulties and the dreadful sound mixing actually becomes an active hindrance when you cannot hear enemies approaching or firing properly. Additionally, sound effects are glaringly missing in many places, e.g. when melee-fighting dogs, punching the boxing bag in Fergus' room etc. The weapon-wheel is terrible too; slow, cumbersome, janky especially when selecting a dual-wield setup and the weapon switching is SLOW. Considering how goddamn hard the game is, it's no fun selecting new weapons in the middle of gunfights.

Also, I don't think I'm a fan of (spoilers):
The district sidequests. it's initially fun to revisit some of the previous areas in a new light, but all of these repetitive missions feel tacked on with no substance to speak of. They simply feel glaringly out of place, and are definitely not a good substitute for the lack of Chapter Select.
Hey, at least you can grind!

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
Just got to the diner and my God I'm really enjoying the game so far, just oozes charm. Love that the story is as entertaining as the gameplay, blows my mind how they make the characters so fun and how so many games can't do what Machinegames do with their writing, it's great stuff.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
This game does not fuck around on Death Incarnate. You get into a bad spot or miss a shot you are fucking dead. Still loving using the pistol just like in the first game and trying to stealth it.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
So I just finished the game and

Is there any point to doing all the Ubercommando missions, like an extra scene or something

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thoughts on the third game.

Considering how much of a pathetic, feeble old man Hitler was here I'm interested in what they do with him in the final installment. He seemed more like a doddering figurehead mired in his own passions than someone with an active role in the new order. MachineGames has basically confirmed mecha Hitler is the final boss, so I'm very excited to see what they do with the story there.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bumped the difficulty down to the lowest setting and I'm actually having fun now. This just isn't the kind of game that benefits from having to take cover and run away. It is at its best when you're mowing down waves of Nazis and it sucks that I have to hamstring the difficulty in order to enable that as opposed to DOOM where I played on the highest setting, but the results speak for themselves for me. I just finished Roswell and it actually really feels like it's kicking off now.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Jesus Christ the
courthouse....what the flying fuck.
I cant believe I beat that but Im lowering the difficulty.
It took me some time to beat that part
but when you know, where the health pickups and armor is, it is much easier. And when the door open, quick sprint on upper level, camp there and use the stairway for nice shooting field

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ the
courthouse....what the flying fuck.
I cant believe I beat that but Im lowering the difficulty.
It's a poorly designed section alright. You gotta hit F5 often but not to often lest you lock yourself into a low-health-instant-death-loop. I will definitely play on normal or lower for second timeline replay.

Oct 25, 2017
Can you restart the primary missions again or do I have to play through the whole thing to get any missing achievements? I can't find any way to do it in game anyway.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else playing on PS4 Pro have their console kick into "jet engine mode"? Game makes my console run LOUD!

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. All id tech games do this to my console.

Gameplay really is good. Just drop ADS, go dual and run behind pillars now and then. I just wish pickups were auto. I did die because prompts for health/armor didn't show.

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Can you restart the primary missions again or do I have to play through the whole thing to get any missing achievements? I can't find any way to do it in game anyway.

What kind of achievements are you trying to get in the main missions? I assumed the district side-quest selector allowed you to revisit any necessary areas to gather the collectibles.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the game, and I think it's easily in my Top 5 games I played this year, but I would still concede that many of your points are indeed real flaws. The two that probably bother me the most are the combination of stealth issues and the combat design. I remember feeling like I was forced out of stealth a few times in TNO, but it wasn't a big deal. Here, it felt like I was being forced out far more often and it annoyed me to no end.

I disagree about the sub though, because I love spending time on there and listening to conversations. If the game has one major story issue, it's that there's really nothing as horrific or as bold as Camp Belica. For all the posturing they did with the marketing, there didn't seem to be really anything quite like that from the first game.

Yeah, stealth is just frustrating this time around. Making matters worse is the fact that you have huge areas and it's not fun sneaking around looking for the commanders. And you're inevitably gonna get caught.

Oh, I love the sub too, and I listen to all the stuff the NPCs have to say. I just think the area you get to explore should maybe be smaller, so the NPCs weren't so spread out. You spend too much time running around and there's one story mission too many.

But really, that's just a small problem in itself. It just adds up to a bunch of other small problems and makes it less special than the new order.

I think the game would have maybe been better with a couple of secondary antagonists, to raise the stakes in the first half of the game. Also, some of the writing strikes me as... not entirely spontaneous. Hard to put into words, but it's a feeling I have.

I also feel like BJ monologues less than he did in the first game.

It remains an amazing game, with generally superb characters, writing, graphics and soundtrack and fun shooting. Just a bit disappointing, considering the standard set by its predecessor.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
I definitely think TNO was a better game. I enjoyed TNC a lot but I feel like the levels were less interesting and there was less variety in the campaign. We got to explore much more in TNO than in TNC. Some gameplay mechanics were also a bit frustrating, I had problems double jumping then fitting into smaller spaces as I would get stuck sometimes. Changing weapons is still bad, I hate the weapon wheel, Doom did it better. I was also disappointed with the weapon variety, was expecting more stuff to shoot Nazis with. I think TNO had more weapons? Or maybe I didn't find all of them here. Still a great game though, will definitely replay again to collect everything and do the side missions.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, stealth is just frustrating this time around. Making matters worse is the fact that you have huge areas and it's not fun sneaking around looking for the commanders. And you're inevitably gonna get caught.

Oh, I love the sub too, and I listen to all the stuff the NPCs have to say. I just think the area you get to explore should maybe be smaller, so the NPCs weren't so spread out. You spend too much time running around and there's one story mission too many.

But really, that's just a small problem in itself. It just adds up to a bunch of other small problems and makes it less special than the new order.

I think the game would have maybe been better with a couple of secondary antagonists, to raise the stakes in the first half of the game. Also, some of the writing strikes me as... not entirely spontaneous. Hard to put into words, but it's a feeling I have.

It remains an amazing game, with generally superb characters, writing, graphics and soundtrack and fun shooting. Just a bit disappointing, considering the standard set by its predecessor.
I agree with most of this - I really feel like BJ as a character was interesting in the beginning but near the end just became a killing powerhouse with little done to address his character.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Beat the game yeasterday. What a fucking brilliant game. My only gripe is hit indication being almost absent until you're at 20 HP or so.

Can't wrap my head around why people are calling the ending bad and the second half rushed. It's a fucking Tarantino movie. It's almost perfect! I loved BJ's lines throughout the game. Give me wings and all that, got me all tear-eyed.

Wolfenstein III
with the secret jewish gravity gun and NO DOUBT MECHA FUCKING HITLER AI
gun be gud. Bring it on machinegames!

Also why the fuck didn't Bethesda release the OST in time again? How long do we have to wait for the return of Mick Gordon the God?

Also, this credits song. Whose idea was mixing Twisted Sister with Meshuggah?!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I sorta stopped playing before the weekend because I wasn't completely feeling it. Something about the stealth just doesn't feel as good as the original. I'm currently on the train section after Roswell. Does it pick up after this?

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sorta stopped playing before the weekend because I wasn't completely feeling it. Something about the stealth just doesn't feel as good as the original. I'm currently on the train section after Roswell. Does it pick up after this?

It does, considerably. My take: forget about stealth and go in guns blazing. You'll have one, maybe two difficulty spikes, but it'll be less frustrating in the long run.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Just picked it up. I'm a little over an hour in, and I'm having a blast. Man, the gunplay in this is so, so satisfying.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't finished the game yet, but I wanted to share this. In the main hub, there's a room called Hacker Central.
OfxYP.jpg

In Perfect Dark's Carrington Institute hub, there was a room upstairs where Grimshaw and a few other minor NPCs hung out, and when you entered Grimshaw would declare, "Welcome to Hacker Central!" Hacker Central was also a Combat Simulator game mode involving a Data Uplink and a Laptop.

Possibly a complete coincidence but it'd be neat if it were a deliberate nod to the Carrington Institute hub. After all, the hub system is not exactly common in the FPS genre. And "Hacker Central" is not exactly a common phrase.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think larger areas are fine in theory, but you also have to have enough tools at your disposal to get around those large areas. MachineGames doesn't need to turn you into Corvo Attano, but just a few more tools to stealth might make it more viable.

On the one hand, I did like how the size of the sub gave a sense of scale, but on the other hand, I do agree, trying to traverse the thing, mentally checking off who you've seen is a bit much.

I was a little surprised given the setting and the obvious marketing message that they didn't do anything to really add any
serious American antagonist.
Seemed like an obvious way to add something, but maybe it just didn't fit for them.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think TNO was a better game. I enjoyed TNC a lot but I feel like the levels were less interesting and there was less variety in the campaign. We got to explore much more in TNO than in TNC. Some gameplay mechanics were also a bit frustrating, I had problems double jumping then fitting into smaller spaces as I would get stuck sometimes. Changing weapons is still bad, I hate the weapon wheel, Doom did it better. I was also disappointed with the weapon variety, was expecting more stuff to shoot Nazis with. I think TNO had more weapons? Or maybe I didn't find all of them here. Still a great game though, will definitely replay again to collect everything and do the side missions.

TNO had better gameplay but TNC went beyond it with its script and pacing.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing I'm at the halfway point of this now. It's decent, which is about what I thought of the first. Head and shoulders above the general shooter market these days, but not exactly DOOM. It's also laying it on a little too heavy with the cutscenes. Like the first, I wouldn't mind so much, but the missions in between are often too short.

It also has a major issue communicating how much damage you're taking, like the first. Going into a fight with max health and armour, being halfway through it thinking it's going really well and that you haven't taken much damage, only to look down and see that all your armour is gone and you've got 20 health left happens a little too frequently for me. I noticed right from the start someone could be firing at me in the same room and it would sound like they're miles away, which is part of the issue.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing I'm at the halfway point of this now. It's decent, which is about what I thought of the first. Head and shoulders above the general shooter market these days, but not exactly DOOM. It's also laying it on a little too heavy with the cutscenes. Like the first, I wouldn't mind so much, but the missions in between are often too short.
If you don't like the cutscenes this isn't the game for you. That's where the heart and soul of it is.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
That's a rather extreme assumption to make. I simply don't think the pacing of events toward the middle of the game is quite right. Utterly bizarre to suggest that it's not for me when I've clearly said I think it's head and shoulders above the majority of modern shooters.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
the difficulty in this game is super weird to me. the grunt AI moves like a console shooter. they plop their feet on the ground and beg "headshot me", which you can do pretty quickly with a KB+M. on the other-hand, the amount of damage they put out means you need to be snap killing them as soon as they get a line of sight on you (more or less). so you have a game that almost demands PC control, but is crazy easy when you actually have it... weird.

it might be because the upgraded assault rifle with scope and armour piercing bullets + electromagnetic grenade kills every single enemy I've met, including the bigger bossish things, in the blink of an eye. like, it makes my lazerkraftwerk (spelling?) and shotgun almost completely redundant. this thing has insane DPS and borderline perfect accuracy across arenas with no damage falloff. like, what