• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
My favorite kind of blast glitches xD
fcd38c95-b34b-42fe-891spz.jpeg

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
So, I played some of the game on Friday, updated Windows, now it gives me a "Can't Write Dump" error and won't start the game (even in safe mode). $%&%$&%$##!

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
Upgrading the pistol with silencer is the first thing you should do. It really makes the game's difficulty more tolerable.

Ennsa

Oct 25, 2017
Just did the mesquite enigma mission. Fuck the lighting on the bridge. Took me a while to make it across without alerting everyone.

Joohanh

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Helsinki
There's no incentive like in DOOM to push forward. The most effective tactic is letting everything bottleneck to you through a single point of ingress.

I honestly have not had that feeling at all. I think making the enemies come to you through a single point might work, but you're going to take a terrible amount of damage anyway because their sights are already set on you. The effective tactic is to establish points where to fire from and a relatively covered passage between the points, and then switch positions rapidly. That's why the sprint is so ridiculous.

I really don't identify with what many here say about their experience of the gameplay. It feels like I'm playing a different game.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I honestly have not had that feeling at all. I think making the enemies come to you through a single point might work, but you're going to take a terrible amount of damage anyway because their sights are already set on you. The effective tactic is to establish points where to fire from and a relatively covered passage between the points, and then switch positions rapidly. That's why the sprint is so ridiculous.

I really don't identify with what many here say about their experience of the gameplay. It feels like I'm playing a different game.

I get what they are saying up until you get the
Ram Shackles upgrade.
After that, I just went dual wield shotguns and blasted my way through everything. I don't think that would work on the highest difficulty, but I had long since turned it down to "Call me Terror-Billy". It was unfairly difficult on "I am Death Incarnate". I can't imagine trying to get through
the courtroom
on that setting. Much less Mein Leben...

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep reading reports that the xbox one X version will support HDR.

Has anyone heard anything about the PS4 Pro receiving HDR support as well? I really hope so, as I picked this up for my Pro. (Haven't 100 percent decided if I am going to buy the Xbox One X.)

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
After spending a long time with it this weekend on PS4 I moved difficulty from 'bring 'em on' back down to 'Don't hurt me' as the only way I was making progress through some scenes was by save scumming every 30 seconds or so. Game is still kicking me on occasion even on that setting.

I find stealth and quick saving makes for the most fluid way through the game for me. When large shootouts start you go down really really quickly.

I'm still loving the game. The atmosphere, the script writing, characters, weapons & upgrades. Everything about the world is fabulous.

I wonder if theres a breakdown of what the different difficulties actually do to tweak the gameplay. I'd be very interested in reading the mechanics behind what it actually tweaks.

totally agree - I knocked the difficulty down and didn't notice much difference. It's weird, man - I can beat DOOM 2016 on hard difficulty, but I just feel like this game ends up delivering a lot of cheap shots. Maybe I'll get in to the swing of things, but definitely didn't have this issue with TNO.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, taking 17 hours to complete, mostly playing 'Call me Terror- Billy' -- and dropping it during some of the harder sections.

I loved it. Any complaints about the game being 'short' are utterly ridiculous. As to the difficulty, I wouldn't say the game as a whole is difficult -- but there are some crazy difficulty spikes.

Echoing some sentiments above, it is too easy is most areas to establish a choke point and let the Nazis come to you. I wish the AI was smarter, and would do more to flush me from a position than every Nazi standing in the same doorway where a pile of 15 of their comrades lie dead.

Some more spoilery comments:
  • The ending was 'abrupt' -- but not 'incomplete', as some people have said. The specific goals and steps mentioned throughout the game are all accomplished -- taking over the Ausmerzer and killing Engel. I think that the gravity/finality of that last Ausmerzer mission was not well outlined to the player. Additionally, I think the jump directly to the TV studio was meant as a sort of fast-momentum smash-cut style moment -- but it didn't feel that way, it just felt kinda confusing. I think the issue there is not with the content, but with the 'editing'. With 17 hours of gameplay that I got out of it, I think there was plenty of game content to enjoy.
  • The entire sequence starting in Mesquite and ending back on the sub is amazing. I cannot count how many times in this game I had a joyous smile on my face from there sheer ridiculousness of it all.
  • I really liked the story. I appreciated the fatalism of BJ during the first half, but kinda missed it in the second. It didn't feel like that fatalistic internal dialog was replaced with anything. It'd be nice to have gotten some uplifting ones post-new-body, perhaps of him talking about his desires for the future.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's been frustrating, but I haven't turned down the difficulty yet. Not above it though. My big complaint would be the lack of feedback. You're dead before you even know someone flanked you.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
What I find odd is that there are many large areas that are sparsely populated by enemies. It's as if the game expects you to set the alarm off, so more enemies can come swarming in.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm just about to start it. What difficulty would you guys recommend for someone that beat the previous games on Uber? It sounds harder.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm just about to start it. What difficulty would you guys recommend for someone that beat the previous games on Uber? It sounds harder.
If you want similar difficulty to that, go with Call me Terror-Billy. I actually think it's still a bit harder than Uber in the first game. You can always swap whenever you want. I started on I am Death Incarnate and lowered it around 5 hours in.

d3nchija

Oct 28, 2017
London
Finished.
Took me approx. 16 hours (still have tons of collectables to find)
Loved almost everything, with "difficulty" and some funny design choices being only nitpicks.
Absurdity and combination of tonal shifts absolutely worked for me.

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that Blazkowicz
looked a bit thin on the boxart but chalked it up to an artstyle change.

Blew me away when THAT thing happened.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
This is my first post in the new Era (after ~9 years on the old forum), and I wish it were a more positive one. I'm halfway through the game and I love most everything about it, from the setting to the plot to the characters to the art and world design. However the gameplay is just grinding me down. For such a badass like Blazkowicz is supposed to be, this game really does want you to spend 80% of your time hiding behind cover taking potshots at enemies. It doesn't really reward run-and-gun because you don't auto pickup health, armor, or ammo, and the pickups are hard to even see since they blend into the environment. So half the time in combat I'm sprinting around to random areas mashing the E button hoping that I pick up some health or armor. It's made worse by the fact that you don't even know when you're being hit, so I often find myself dying before even realizing that someone has been shooting me in the ass for the past 30 seconds.

It's really frustrating, and mars an otherwise excellent game. I turned it down to Easy a couple hours in and am having more fun, but I'm still coming across insta-kill situations even on Easy, which is bonkers.

If anything it makes me want to finish DOOM, which I have to say I really took for granted. Yeah its plot is bland, but its combat is so well designed compared to Wolf 2. Here's hoping the second half of the game makes a better impression than the first half.

Oct 25, 2017
Idk. I noticed the screen edges going a bit red when I'm shot?

It's not as over the top as in other shooters though. I also keep my health in my peripheral vision cuz of how squishy you are in this lol.

Raddy

Oct 25, 2017
Just blasted through this over a long weekend.

Have around 15 hours played. Revisited a few districts included in that.

All in all really enjoyed it, not quite as 'fresh' as The New Order. Guess that's the nature of being a sequel though.

Up for the DLC, looking forward to seeing some different view points on it.

Soundtrack was great, Mick Gordon at his best.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get anything useful from doing the ubercommando stuff?

I know you can get the other upgrades, anything else? True ending?

Also im missing an item on my weapon wheel. I assume it's something that recharges from fuel stations? Wonder how I missed that lol.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Do you get anything useful from doing the ubercommando stuff?

I know you can get the other upgrades, anything else? True ending?

Also im missing an item on my weapon wheel. I assume it's something that recharges from fuel stations? Wonder how I missed that lol.

I think your choice of who to save in the beginning impacts which of two power weapons you get.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems to me difficulty does nothing? I played on 3 different ones, starting with Death Incarnate. Currently on the 4th one I think, which is Do or Die. But I honestly don't notice anything.

The game does expect you to set off alarms, there is no way you can stealth to the second commander in a lot of areas unless some routines change if you have the patience.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just got to the part where you can use enigma codes for targets etc how far is this ?

and i dont know how to do spoiler txt because theres no icon for it

Oct 27, 2017
The game does expect you to set off alarms, there is no way you can stealth to the second commander in a lot of areas unless some routines change if you have the patience.
You can sneak your way through a lot of the encounters to the 2nd commander, but at that point it feels you're playing more Thief than Wolfenstein.

I didn't mind it so much in the first game, but the gameplay loop is getting really old here.

Hooligan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this game easier on PC or something? I am having 0 problems with difficulty on Call me Terror Billy. In fact I even feel like the upgraded dual wield shotguns and assault rifles are almost a bit OP. Plus many levels you can carry around that laser melting heavy weapon the whole time.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game easier on PC or something? I am having 0 problems with difficulty on Call me Terror Billy. In fact I even feel like the upgraded dual wield shotguns and assault rifles are almost a bit OP. Plus many levels you can carry around that laser melting heavy weapon the whole time.

I feel the game was mainly designed with consoles (gamepad) on mind, were I'm sure the high enemy dmg would encourage the use of cover and ironsights. Meanwhile on PC I can just dual wield shotguns most of the times and use the character high speed and mouse superior aiming. I'm on Do or Die! difficulty level ann I'm not having much problems, while I'm sure It would be too much on console, with this playstyle.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm playing on PC and getting my ass handed to me. YMMV.
It's still a hard game for sure, I just don't think I could do what I'm doing on PC if I were using a controller. I mean you can be killed from full health/armor in the time it takes you to turn around. It's unfair on PC and probably unthinkable on console. I really would like to see someone do a mein leben playthrough on console and see what kind of cheese strats would be necessary.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
just got to the part where you can use enigma codes for targets etc how far is this ?

and i dont know how to do spoiler txt because theres no icon for it

Looking at a list of levels, about half way. I don't remember it taking me too long to beat the game after that point, but I did play until late one night.

Spoiler tags you can just type out
Code:
[spoiler] spoiler text [/spoiler]

I found the difficulty to be decent to be honest, I died a few times at certain points but I thought it was pretty good really. I played it on PC, Call me Terror Billy! Didn't struggle that much, but it's probably not a game you could expect to just breeze through without copping it a few times.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
The cutscenes are freaking incredible in this game. Some of the Grace/Fergus ones have made me cry with laughter. Loving it so hard.

Quick question: how and when can I access the side missions? I don't want to miss a thing in this gem.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
So I am just miss remembering the new order or is this game considerably harder on the default difficulty setting? I have only played the first couple of levels but this feels like one of the hardest shooters on default difficulty i have ever played. If you miss a guy on your flanks you will just get melted within milliseconds. And then there are 4 (!!!) higher settings. Does the game get even more difficult in later levels? Because if it does I may have to drop the difficulty down a notch. Don't remember the new order being this punishing.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
So I am just miss remembering the new order or is this game considerably harder on the default difficulty setting? I have only played the first couple of levels but this feels like one of the hardest shooters on default difficulty i have ever played. If you miss a guy on your flanks you will just get melted within milliseconds. And then there are 4 (!!!) higher settings. Does the game get even more difficult in later levels? Because if it does I may have to drop the difficulty down a notch. Don't remember the new order being this punishing.

Oh yeah, this game is no joke.

Invest in a silencer for the machine pistol, and use the abundant heavy weapons, which are basically everywhere.

And then the freaking shotgun. Make sure you search for upgrade kits everywhere.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cutscenes are freaking incredible in this game. Some of the Grace/Fergus ones have made me cry with laughter. Loving it so hard.

Quick question: how and when can I access the side missions? I don't want to miss a thing in this gem.

At some point you unlock the enigma machine in the submarine that allows you to unlock sidemissions.

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
Played off an on this weekend, mostly while my lady had custody of Odyssey. I'm really stuck on a certain part, any tips?

Breaking out of the trial room. This room is just murder around every corner, and I die almost instantly. Any relatively safe areas or tactics for this part? Should I just suck it up, admit I'm getting old, and turn down the difficulty (Bring 'em On)?

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at a list of levels, about half way. I don't remember it taking me too long to beat the game after that point, but I did play until late one night.

Spoiler tags you can just type out
Code:
[spoiler] spoiler text [/spoiler]

ahhhh okay thanks for that, its annoying having to remmeber quote and spoiler tags for each post, im suprised there isnt an icon for them

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not feeling the game. While I'm really enjoying the story and going to town on Nazis scum it's feeling weighed down by the uneven difficulty, poor transitions between gameplay and cutscenes and side missions that seem to unlock way to late and mostly have little purpose.

I think I may be one or two missions from the end according to my trophy list. Am I right?

i just beat the Venus level

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
Played off an on this weekend, mostly while my lady had custody of Odyssey. I'm really stuck on a certain part, any tips?

Breaking out of the trial room. This room is just murder around every corner, and I die almost instantly. Any relatively safe areas or tactics for this part? Should I just suck it up, admit I'm getting old, and turn down the difficulty (Bring 'em On)?

Once the side doors open you can go through them and up a set of stairs on either side. Definitely not a cakewalk but I found it way easier to hideout up there and kill them with the heavy laser gun once they followed me up.

Oct 28, 2017
You can sneak your way through a lot of the encounters to the 2nd commander, but at that point it feels you're playing more Thief than Wolfenstein.

I didn't mind it so much in the first game, but the gameplay loop is getting really old here.

The original Castle Wolfenstein was stealth based and Return to Castle Wolfenstein had both optional and forced stealth only missions so...

The player hit feedback in this game sucks and the difficulty needs tuning, but Wolfenstein was never meant to be played like Doom despite sharing superficial similarities. Moving between cover and avoiding being out in the open is pretty much staying true to every game in the franchise so far. If anything the newer games are way more forgiving since you don't have to deal with RTCW/W09's aim spread and crazy view flinching when shot.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where do I use the Enigma codes? It says you use them somewhere on the ship but I can't find it. Do I have to be at a certain point in the game?

EDIT: Nevermind someone answered above.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think many of the reasons were more or less touched upon in this very thread, by a few people, including you:

- stale combat design insofar as its mostly putting 1 or 2 commanders in a given large area, where you have to find them and deal with them, otherwise it's just wave after wave, meaning there's no true uniqueness or meaningful variation to the combat encounters

- less location variety and what is there is not as interesting, as you have previously mentioned (no super nazi fortress, no impenetrable nazi prison, etc); it's a shame too, since the new order had such a strong visual identity

- you spend way too much time in the sub and it breaks the pace way too much (I'm also counting the story missions that happen in the sub)

- The first half doesn't really have any unique setpieces, you're basically doing combat room - cutscene - combat room, and it becomes... Not tedious, but not a whole lot of fun, either

- No bosses, which reduces even further the encounter variety

- I feel like stealth is no longer truly viable as an option whereas in the new order, it worked wonders (doesn't really matter that it was overpowered, it worked)

There's also something else missing, but like you, I don't quite know what that is.

I do think the second half of the game is much stronger and interesting, even if I haven't finished it yet.
I loved the game, and I think it's easily in my Top 5 games I played this year, but I would still concede that many of your points are indeed real flaws. The two that probably bother me the most are the combination of stealth issues and the combat design. I remember feeling like I was forced out of stealth a few times in TNO, but it wasn't a big deal. Here, it felt like I was being forced out far more often and it annoyed me to no end.

I disagree about the sub though, because I love spending time on there and listening to conversations. If the game has one major story issue, it's that there's really nothing as horrific or as bold as Camp Belica. For all the posturing they did with the marketing, there didn't seem to be really anything quite like that from the first game.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Are the side missions hefty well-designed missions, or just throwaways? And do they impact the plot at all (even if it's just fleshing out some side characters)? Debating whether I should spend time doing them all.