• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say I loveeeeee the standard machine gun with the scope added (to make it kind of like a fast sniper almost IDK how to explain it).

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Just curious, for the folks who have completed the game, how do you see it working on switch?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Scene with the Nazi Soldier and KKK having a conversation about learning German had me laughing. So much good NPC dialog in this game. Makes me feel good about taking the time to listen to what everyone has to say.
Dankey shoom? Donkey shaun?
hmmm wonder if there is a R3 melee move for every enemy type? Not sure about the doggies.

Big dudes you open up oil pipes or something?
Good luck sneaking up on dogs. They follow your scent when you're within their radius.
On heavies, you smack open their oil tanks, which they begin to trail fluid from. If you just let them patrol for a while, it'll extend for quite a distance, giving you fair opportunity to shoot the trail and watch the flames ignite along the path before causing a massive explosion.
To anyone who's beaten the game, how long is it compared to the New Order? Thanks!
About 10-12 hours, depending on your chosen difficulty and how thoroughly you explore. If you decide to play the optional assassination missions, tack on an additional hour or two.
Just curious, for the folks who have completed the game, how do you see it working on switch?
Awkwardly. Too fast paced for 30FPS, what with the kind of input lag that brings. It could work, probably won't. I don't have particularly high hopes.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Huh... I'm stuck?

Obvious spoiler...

I'm in Section F for the second time, I have to find the nukes this time. I got to the main room and three big dudes poped-out of sarcophagus or whatever... I killed them but now I'm not sure where to go? I'm not seeing any prompts or objectives markers anywhere.

Edit... Nvm, found it

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to be beating the game at much shorter times, 6-7 hours.

Perhaps your difficulty is adding many hours of gameplay.
6-7 hours sounds insane to me.

Playing on "Bring 'em on" difficulty, I'm very close to the end and I've clocked in 18 hours and 48 minutes (with around 2 hours of it being me leaving the game on pause menu). For me it has been a perfect balance between gameplay and cutscenes.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thoughts on the game, just finished Fergus timeline:

Man that was an absolute blast. Every cutscene was fantastic. The character interactions on the Uboat were perhaps my favorite parts of the entire game. I thoroughly enjoyed it... up until the "end". Wow that was one of the most flaccid endings I've ever seen. Not only did they leave multiple plot threads open, they also killed off a major villain in the series with a one button kill? Where's the boss fight? Or at least sometime similar to it. What about the artifact set couldn't figure out. He acted like he had an epiphany toward the end there, but the game went nowhere with it. We didn't get to see anya and BJ's twins born. And it feels like the resistance is only marginally stronger than they were at the beginning of the game. It felt like almost nothing was accomplished. At least we know there's going to be a third game because of all the loose ends here... Anyone else feeling this way?

Side note, is the endgame side content worth doing? Any story stuff or just pointless busywork? I'll just start another playthrough for the Wyatt timeline.

I feel like if your playtime is that short you didn't bother going around the uboat and listening to character interactions. Which is a real shame if people are missing those. They are fantastic. My completion time was 13 hours

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the first level in America and I'm enjoying it more than at the start. Currently playing on easy, think I'll bump it back up though.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Oh man i don't think i can wait for the Switch version. Reading great things about the game. Any details on the release date or just 2018?

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Took me just under 14 hours on "Call me Terror-Billy!" difficulty (without any of the optional Übercommanders).

The only way I can see someone beating the game in 6-7 hours is if they are just shooting their way through everything, and/or playing on the lower difficulty settings (which is of course fine on both accounts!). However, if you're exploring, listening to NPC conversations, finding collectibles or stealthing, it's going to take much longer.

Joohanh

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Helsinki
Man! Am I the only one who finds the difficulty satisfying?

I'm playing on 'I am a death incarnate' and with a controller. Dying a ton, of course, but that means having to rethink stuff. Hiding in cover doesn't really work due to aggressive flanking, so what you have to do is transition rapidly from a firing position to another and take your shots.

It really plays wonderfully. I'm sure the gameplay will get more praise down the line.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I'm about 7 hours in and don't think I've hit the halfway point. Playing on normal and taking some time to listen to NPC/enemy chatter when it presents itself. I'm sure people can beat the game much faster than I will, but I feel listening to a lot of that dialogue while I play has been some of my favorite parts of the game and really add to its atmosphere. I'd still say the majority of my time played so far has been gameplay. Game certainly has a lot of story, but so far, haven't really run into a cutscene that felt "too long" or getting in the way of gameplay.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something funny that happened while playing.

I was playing the NYC mission when my roommate came home from a party. We were talking and he was looking at the game. I said so apparently NYC got hit by the atom bomb. He got wide eyes and for a sec thought I was talking about real life lol.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The feedback in this game is not great. I can never tell if I'm landing hits and never notice that I'm getting hit.

I can't remember if TNO was like this (I loved loved loved that game) and I hope they'res enough people criticizing it for a patch.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Curious if someone will be able to achieve the Platinum trophy for this game (i.e. beating it on "Mein Leben") before the almost-inevitable difficulty adjustment patch.

Oct 27, 2017
I knew this game was going to be bad ass since back at E3 but god damn. It's way up the top for my game of the year. The storytelling is superb and the action is excellent. Those auto shotguns are absolutely brilliant.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about the Hitler scene was incredible. Everything. His depiction, the way BJ acts out the scene. The fact that you can fucking kick his head in, that was so satisfying and funny.

It was definitely a mistake teasing his presence in one of the trailers, would have made for a great surprise.

I gotta say, I wasn't entirely feeling it until then, but the game has picked up considerably after the midway point. Gotta replay it to reassess my opinion of the first half.

improvise5

Oct 25, 2017
Long Beach, CA
Just started this tonight. Wow, really impressed with what I have played Only a few levels in but damn. What an unnerving beginning to the game too. One that I will remember for a long time. Playing on PS4 and performance is super smooth. Loving the weapons so far too. Can't wait to dig into this game more.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything about the Hitler scene was incredible. Everything. His depiction, the way BJ acts out the scene. The fact that you can fucking kick his head in, that was so satisfying and funny.

It was definitely a mistake teasing his presence in one of the trailers, would have made for a great surprise.

I gotta say, I wasn't entirely feeling it until then, but the game has picked up considerably after the midway point. Gotta replay it to reassess my opinion of the first half.
It's going to be hilarious when MachineGames inevitably releases the infographic that tells us how many people
kicked that thing.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, judging by the trophy percentage, not a whole lot, at least up until now!

How can you not do it, though, how can you not have the urge?
By Steam's achievement percentages, 18.6% of players have made it to that level, 6.4% have done the thing. So like one third. That's lower than I would've thought.

disChapo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the whole scene was amazing.
I purposely messed up the lines a few time just to get a few laughs out as well.
I gotta say I loveeeeee the standard machine gun with the scope added (to make it kind of like a fast sniper almost IDK how to explain it).

It's hands down the best weapon in the game when it is fully upgraded. Dual wield it and you can mow anything down.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any tips for the trophy
"I'm Machine Enough"
to share? I tried it for a decent amount of time tonight and could swear I pulled it off a few times... nothing.

Joohanh

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Helsinki
Spoiler about a mid-point in the game where I did get a bit frustrated:

The dream sequence where you break out of the Nazi court is really hard. It's so insta-death it's not even funny. This mostly has to do with the cover available, and the fact that no matter where you are, you're always flanked. I died like 200 times here. But nailing it down feels really special: you actually overcome such great odds the satisfaction is incredible. The game doesn't pull its punches one bit, but just rains enemies on you just like you'd expect if you were the most dangerous terrorist on Earth and trying to shoot your way out of maximally secured imprisonment. It's fantastic.

The fact that it's indeed a dream sequence is funny in that sense. It puts you to an impossible situation, makes you find your way through it, and then tells you that it was in fact impossible. The cutscene that came after that was harrowing. The human vulnerability of BJ is construed very well, the game has a real heart beating underneath the mayhem.

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
I think I picked the wrong time to try this game the first time. A bit buzzed, on medium difficulty and dying a few times every other encounter. I played through TNO a few weeks back and this looks to be a whole different ball game, sirs and/or madams. Time to git gud, as it were. Looks nice as hell though on PS4Pro.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler about a mid-point in the game where I did get a bit frustrated:

The dream sequence where you break out of the Nazi court is really hard. It's so insta-death it's not even funny. This mostly has to do with the cover available, and the fact that no matter where you are, you're always flanked. I died like 200 times here. But nailing it down feels really special: you actually overcome such great odds the satisfaction is incredible. The game doesn't pull its punches one bit, but just rains enemies on you just like you'd expect if you were the most dangerous terrorist on Earth and trying to shoot your way out of maximally secured imprisonment. It's fantastic.

The fact that it's indeed a dream sequence is funny in that sense. It puts you to an impossible situation, makes you find your way through it, and then tells you that it was in fact impossible. The cutscene that came after that was harrowing. The human vulnerability of BJ is construed very well, the game has a real heart beating underneath the mayhem.

That was also a highlight for me, seeing him so vulnerable and adding to the continued humanization of BJ as a character.

Really, the return to the farmhouse was the point where the game started becoming much more fun to me. You get BJ confronting Rip, a cool set piece, and then that whole dream sequence. What comes after is even better, just great shit all around.

By Steam's achievement percentages, 18.6% of players have made it to that level, 6.4% have done the thing. So like one third. That's lower than I would've thought.

Lower percentage to even get to that point than I would've expected, too.

Yeah the whole scene was amazing.
I purposely messed up the lines a few time just to get a few laughs out as well.

Gotta try that on my next playthrough, it crossed my mind but I was just too eager to see who was getting out of that room and, most importantly, how!

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one struggling. And maaaan am I struggling in some scenes.

After spending a long time with it this weekend on PS4 I moved difficulty from 'bring 'em on' back down to 'Don't hurt me' as the only way I was making progress through some scenes was by save scumming every 30 seconds or so. Game is still kicking me on occasion even on that setting.

I find stealth and quick saving makes for the most fluid way through the game for me. When large shootouts start you go down really really quickly.

I'm still loving the game. The atmosphere, the script writing, characters, weapons & upgrades. Everything about the world is fabulous.

I wonder if theres a breakdown of what the different difficulties actually do to tweak the gameplay. I'd be very interested in reading the mechanics behind what it actually tweaks.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Thinking about buying this after I finish Mario Odyssey. I have one question though: Can you pause cutscenes in this (PS4)? Not being able to pause cutscenes was my biggest problem with the first one. I remember pressing the Home button and then running in to my daughter who just woke up, when I got back I had missed a whole important cutscene.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about buying this after I finish Mario Odyssey. I have one question though: Can you pause cutscenes in this (PS4)? Not being able to pause cutscenes was my biggest problem with the first one. I remember pressing the Home button and then running in to my daughter who just woke up, when I got back I had missed a whole important cutscene.

You can't on PC so I imagine you can't on PS4. None of them are particularly long though.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I would say that dual fully upgraded automatic shotguns really work in narrow corridors. Also with ricochets you can fire around the corners

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Sigrun had an arc and didn't turn on the team. Great character.
Also there are so many great conversations from your crew to listen in on. Some of them even move to other locations to continue and it's insane how many custom animations there are for it.
Max Hass finishing part of his collage and then taking Professor to his room to show it off is downright magical. Max Hass fuckin rules.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
The feedback in this game is not great. I can never tell if I'm landing hits and never notice that I'm getting hit.

I can't remember if TNO was like this (I loved loved loved that game) and I hope they'res enough people criticizing it for a patch.
This. If it wasn't for this lack of feedback and the broken lean mechanic it would be solid. For now it transmits not the fun it should. Will give it an other try later on and if it doesn't click i'm going to wait and hope they patch this somehow. I really want to like it, everything seems great but this and the bad soundmixing kinda ruin this game for me:(

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This. If it wasn't for this lack of feedback and the broken lean mechanic it would be solid. For now it transmits not the fun it should. Will give it an other try later on and if it doesn't click i'm going to wait and hope they patch this somehow. I really want to like it, everything seems great but this and the bad soundmixing kinda ruin this game for me:(
I hope so too. Would make the gameplay more immersive.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can safely say Wolfenstein II is distinctly disappointing to me. A lot of what I loved in design and presentation from The New Order is simply not here. I'm going to have to really mull on my thoughts and feelings as I continue through, but the big red flag is that I'm forcing myself to put aside time and sit down to continue through. The draw of The New Order, where I couldn't put it down, is nowhere to be found.

Rrank

Oct 30, 2017
Man I really want to get this, but between Mario and AC I might have to wait till Black Friday to slay me some nazis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can safely say Wolfenstein II is distinctly disappointing to me. A lot of what I loved in design and presentation from The New Order is simply not here. I'm going to have to really mull on my thoughts and feelings as I continue through, but the big red flag is that I'm forcing myself to put aside time and sit down to continue through. The draw of The New Order, where I couldn't put it down, is nowhere to be found.
i'm having a hard time putting it into words as well -- there's something missing

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So I was covering the Belgian Wolfenstein release party and one thing I wasn't aware of is that many players play and buy Wolfenstein 2 for the Nazi-elements. The majority knew before even playing the game that it would have Nazi-jokes. This took me by surprise to be honest, I never would have guessed that people actually buy a game just for that.

Anyway, if this is allowed here is a short article about the Belgian release party.

I am almost done with the game and so far I'm satisfied but I liked the previous two more. Playing on Xbox One, I have experienced many visual bugs with shadows, frame rate drops and the lean mechanic is simply terrible. Not the biggest fan for the environments too, I miss some extra creative work. That sounds negative though, overall I think Wolfenstein is a very decent shooter, it might even be the best single player shooter for 2017.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same. Narrative momentum carried me through the early parts but even that is making it hard to keep going. I just finished
Venus
, can anyone tell me roughly how far in I am? I just want to finish the game at this point.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't BJ just walk in a straight fucking line? Worst part of TNO is back, always feel like I'm fighting the analogue stick to keep him going in the direction I want.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This might sound like sacrilege, but I find myself wishing this game had regenerative health/armor. I mean, it kinda does have regenerative health, but you die in 1.5 seconds so what the hell is the point. Combat in this game is just not working for me at all. No matter how I approach it I get fucked. I've resorted to abusing quicksaving/loading.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So having beat the game, there's a couple things that bug me. Narrative threads that felt like loose ends. Full game spoilers.

The segment where you meet your father. It felt very bizarre. Did he go there with the intention of dying? Of killing you? Both? Was he coerced into doing what he did by the Nazis? While a hateful man, he didn't really strike me as someone who would become a fanatical nazi loyalist. I don't see why he would knowingly, deliberately go to his own death, and the death of his son. What did he hope to gain out of that exchange? Did he spontaneously choose to go down there, and have the nazis on the other end of the line just to show what a good little puppet he was? If the writers simply wanted to make him into a ridiculously despicable boot licker who would gleefully sell out his own son at the end of the game, even at the cost of his own life, then why'd they bother to humanize him thirty seconds earlier, with the flashback in the bedroom of him taking you and your mother to the basement, with guns, to face your own nightmares?

The ring. Frau Engel takes the ring from you that you go back for, and it's never suggested that she disposes of it. On the contrary, she seems to have something of a fascination with Blaskowitz, and I'd be unsurprised to see that she kept it on her after his passing as a trophy. But despite being an object of some importance to William, it is never revisited. I hope it'll get tied up in the third game.

Finally, William's resurrection. Obviously this scene is ridiculous, but the game is built upon the ridiculous. New Order had us fight our own friend's brain piloting a robot mech, a decade after they'd been killed and their brain put in a jar, and we have the precedent of Shoshana, so obviously the game has set us up to accept the ridiculous. But William importantly remarks upon his own doubt for whether it's happened. When Spesh comes to try to rescue you from holding before the trial, he claims that your friends are waiting in a car downstairs, and that in spite of there being tanks outside the building, he isn't concerned about whatever happens once they're to the garage, because they have 'tricks up their sleeve.' Later, BJ asks Anya about how on earth Anya and the others escaped from the garage when Engel's kill squad was ready and waiting to trap them. But Anya never explains, and merely sleepily echoes Spesh, 'We had some tricks up our sleeve.' BJ wonders at the deja vu. Is this real? Is any of this real or is he still dead? The game never revisits Anya and crew's improbable escape, nor BJ's solipsism. Was this questioning of reality ever supposed to go anywhere? I feel like raising this thread and then dropping it just as quick is an unfortunate miss.

I feel like all of these are vestigial dead ends that may have been originally intended to go somewhere, but end up just being left in, half baked. They raise questions that the game has no answers to, or seem to build up anticipation of events that never come. Bummer.[/spoilers]

This might sound like sacrilege, but I find myself wishing this game had regenerative health/armor. I mean, it kinda does have regenerative health, but you die in 1.5 seconds so what the hell is the point. Combat in this game is just not working for me at all. No matter how I approach it I get fucked. I've resorted to abusing quicksaving/loading.
Drop it down a peg or three. Unless you are dead set on trophy hunting, this game does not seem designed for the average non-masochist to enjoy at anything above Do Or Die.

And you aren't getting the plat cuz you're never gonna beat Mein Leben, so...
lol you regenerate up to the next whole 10 hp. In a game where four or five bullets can drop you from 200/100 to dead before you turn to see your enemy, that doesn't really count for much.

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

its in the game