• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Bit the bullet and put the difficulty down a notch. The real draw is the story and characters, so I don't mind too much, but I don't remember having to do it for TNO or TOB.

I think what's lacking in the commander combat scenarios is a better way to scope out your surroundings to try and plan a path of attack. There's been a couple of times where I've been able to find a catwalk or some high ground to get a better idea of what I'm facing, but a lot of times, it feels like trial and error, where it's just figuring out where people are by running into them, dying, and then looking for other paths.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The story is so nonsensical and I'm absolutely loving it hahaha

As crazy and OTT as it gets, the characters really manage to sell the story.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Sure but he has a power armor now...

IMO it doesn't work. They should have defaulted back to 100 health as soon as he put on the super suit.

Also the game would still be difficult if they even made that change.

Are you guys missing that the power armor grants you 200 armor instead of 100? I don't see how it's a problem at all, I think it's pretty clever and cool and evens itself out. You have a total of 250 instead of 200, so what's the problem exactly?

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, are the people having trouble with the difficulty all playing with controllers? It's been a while since this sort of thing came up, and Doom seemed to sidestep it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Power armor would've been better if it regenerated like 50/100 armor or something. As is, power armor doesn't really feel all that powerful.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I really fucking hate YouTube. Just had a cutscene compilation with a super spoilery thumbnail hit my dash. This is why we can't have nice things.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, are the people having trouble with the difficulty all playing with controllers? It's been a while since this sort of thing came up, and Doom seemed to sidestep it.

I am. Currently stuck on
the courthouse
on the normal difficulty. I'll push through, I almost got through it last night, it's just frustrating.

DerMarc

Oct 28, 2017
I just arrived in
New Orleans
and there seems to be a sound bug.
The whole game is muted all of a sudden. I tried reloading but there's still no sound.
Playing on PS4 pro. Did anybody else have this problem?

P.S.: First post here, yay. :)

Edit: Ok, restarting ps4 fixed it.

Last edited:

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys missing that the power armor grants you 200 armor instead of 100? I don't see how it's a problem at all, I think it's pretty clever and cool and evens itself out. You have a total of 250 instead of 200, so what's the problem exactly?

It still doesn't help solve the difficulty problem, especially the areas where armor is either (visibly) nowhere to be found.

No matter what the design choice was with BJ's health, it's just going to be derailed with the fact that the game has weird difficulty spikes.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017

I'm on keyboard and mouse, and jumped from the third difficulty setting to the second. Played TNO on KB+M as well, and just don't recall dying so frequently.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but he has a power armor now...
Yeah, and the 200 armor makes up for the lack of health, along with the ability to overcharge your health.

I am. Currently stuck on
the courthouse
on the normal difficulty. I'll push through, I almost got through it last night, it's just frustrating.
That one was a real bitch to get through. Took multiple tries for me. Finally managed to finish it, was incredibly satisfying.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the 50 health complaint. You have double armour? It's effectively 250 health versus 200?

Health is easier to come by in large quantities due to the overcharge mechanic (helmets and other small armour items seem to give +3/+4 in TNC, which is basically nothing), so a baseline of 100 in both is easier to maintain than 50 and 200. Besides, TNO had health or armour upgrades depending on the timeline, so it evens out in the end anyway.

I do wonder how they'll deal with some of the visibility and control issues in the Switch version. I can't imagine the game being much fun as is in Handheld mode given the extra compromises required.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
is there any place on the boat to stock up on grenades? In the shoot range/course area there are boxes for ammo but I don't see grenades :(. Be nice to stock up before each Enigma mission thing.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Really good game IMO, you can tell a ton of effort was put in for every little detail.

Had some glaring flaws though. Definitely a lot harder than it should've been. I beat it on Bring em on and BJ died way too fast. The lack of response to you taking damage was poor too, I'd have no idea I was near death 99% of the time I went down. Also, those robotic enemies were all bad and unfair IMO. Their incredibly fast paced movements and ability to knock you down rapidly was a huge pain.

Nonetheless still thoroughly enjoyed the game

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So like did anyone else know that using The aim button on a mounted machine gun made it fire faster? I have know idea how that slipped me, lol

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Survivability is seriously low in this, even on Normal. I think it's made a bit worse due to limited feedback when you get hit. Sometimes I will come out of cover, not even realise I'm being shot and be dead within seconds.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
First time I played The New Order was on Death Incarnate and with a controller (I was getting low frames, and its easier to "deal" with lower framerates using a controller so I did)...and I really didn't like it. Put it down for 6 months, came back after performance patches fixed all of the problems with my gpu and tried it on keyboard and it was night and day.

It just feels instinctual to stand mostly still and ADS on a controller, so that's mostly what I did, it wasn't until trying KBM that I realized the game is all about staying in motion and hipfiring, it was then that I truly fell in love with the game. Not trying to be elitist or anything, but it does feel like playing two different games, in TNO's case anyway.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty in this game is completely fucked. I don't feel like this game is being even remotely fair to me.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if the PS4 Pro uses FP16 like on PC?

Do we know what settings the PS4 Pro uses compared to PC?

From this video we can see all versions look identical to PC maxed out but the only thing that differs is the resolution.

How good is the 1440p resolution on PS4 Pro and how close it is to PC version?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
First time I played The New Order was on Death Incarnate and with a controller (I was getting low frames, and its easier to "deal" with lower framerates using a controller so I did)...and I really didn't like it. Put it down for 6 months, came back after performance patches fixed all of the problems with my gpu and tried it on keyboard and it was night and day.

It just feels instinctual to stand mostly still and ADS on a controller, so that's mostly what I did, it wasn't until trying KBM that I realized the game is all about staying in motion and hipfiring, it was then that I truly fell in love with the game. Not trying to be elitist or anything, but it does feel like playing two different games, in TNO's case anyway.

I don't remember being so active in TNO. But in 2 I run around like a madman. Made much easier with a keyboard and mouse. The more open environments also assist with this. TNO was more closed off in comparison.

Linkin112

Oct 25, 2017
Vernon Hills, IL
Not sure how the "Point of Interest" markers work on the maps. I'm redoing the Roswell Underground (via the Enigma stuff) to try for collections, and it says I'm missing a gold piece but there are no more markers and no more commanders. I guess I just gotta scour every nook and cranny?
Yeah, the collectible markers are trash. They don't appear half the time, forcing you to have to find them on your own. There's only one complete guide up on the internet that I've seen and it's text only, very poor text at that. But it got the job done for me in order to find the last few I needed.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
From what I remember of TNO, it did a better job of scaling the encounter design with BJ's arsenal and potential Perk upgrades as the game went on. The beginning half was mostly normal Nazi Grunts, dogs, and Commanders in large, but manageable, numbers. The much-maligned "bullet sponge" Armored mofos started coming out later, but BJ has all sorts of powerful shit to kill them with by that point in the game.

Here in TNC, I feel like they start introducing tougher enemies well ahead of BJ's power curve. There have been far more of these "David vs Goliath" situations, where I'm trying to fend off multiple of these charging armored guys with (relatively) wimpy dual-wielded SMG/AR peashooters, because it's all I have.

It's been 2 years since I last played TNO, so my memory could be off on how that game was structured, but TNC is certainly the more difficult game of the two for reasons I'm still trying to figure out. I'm not nearly as down on the gameplay of TNC as some others here, but it's definitely different. My favorite parts of TNO were mowing down all the cannon fodder Nazis and TNC has significantly less cannon fodder, but the combat is still mostly enjoyable.

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the health complain, just level up the combat takedown perk. Coupled to 200 armor you ll be able to take quite a beating.

Game is becoming easy when you start to unlock the suit's powers anyway

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
From what I remember of TNO, it did a better job of scaling the encounter design with BJ's arsenal and potential Perk upgrades as the game went on. The beginning half was mostly normal Nazi Grunts, dogs, and Commanders in large, but manageable, numbers. The much-maligned "bullet sponge" Armored mofos started coming out later, but BJ has all sorts of powerful shit to kill them with by that point in the game.

Here in TNC, I feel like they start introducing tougher enemies well ahead of BJ's power curve. There have been far more of these "David vs Goliath" situations, where I'm trying to fend off multiple of these charging armored guys with (relatively) wimpy dual-wielded SMG/AR peashooters, because it's all I have.

I feel like there are a shitload more environmental ways to kill these guys though. Almost every combat scenario has a few explosive tanks you can lure them into, I don't remember that many explosives littered through the levels in TNO.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The difficulty in this game is completely fucked. I don't feel like this game is being even remotely fair to me.

Its not. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty allowed for a first play through and I die all the time from the game giving no player damage feedback.
Also your viewing distance is seriously screwed up where guys can be shooting at you from a distance that you can't even see and because Iron Sights are all but pointless you are at a serious disadvantage.

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find the difficulty just right. The big thing in New Colossus is to move all the time while you're dealing with enemies. If you "stop and shoot" you ll get mowed down. Dual wield is very effective but also pretty dangerous because of the reload time alone ... until you get the shotgun that is

Oh yeah AI also seems to have a knack for knowing where you are at almost all times, so just camp a door entrance and you'll be fine. Or a corner without too many entrances

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Its not. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty allowed for a first play through and I die all the time from the game giving no player damage feedback.
Also your viewing distance is seriously screwed up where guys can be shooting at you from a distance that you can't even see and because Iron Sights are all but pointless you are at a serious disadvantage.
The only reason to use ADS is because there's a Perk that increases your damage while aiming down sights. Like TNO, there isn't an actual hip-fire penalty. The Lean button on L1 should getting much more use than the ADS button on L2.

The crosshair also changes Red when over an enemy, so it's not really a big deal to engage long-distance targets from the hip. Even if they're extremely far away and blended into the environment, you can still kinda wave your crosshair around their muzzle flash until it turns red.

Oct 25, 2017

I played New Order, Old Blood, and now this with a controller. I played TNO and TOB on Uber just a couple months ago and actually found the games to be a little on the easy side with only a few really challenging encounters. TNC I'm playing on Death Incarnate for my first playthrough and I'm DEFINITELY dying way faster than I was on Uber. I don't really feel like there's any problems with the aiming though. It's more hit feedback problem and my armor being made of wet tissue paper.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The only reason to use ADS is because there's a Perk that increases your damage while aiming down sights. Like TNO, there isn't an actual hip-fire penalty. The Lean button on L1 should getting much more use than the ADS button on L2.

The crosshair also changes Red when over an enemy, so it's not really a big deal to engage long-distance targets from the hip. Even if they're extremely far away and blended into the environment, you can still kinda wave your crosshair around their muzzle flash until it turns red.

I honestly just have a hard time seeing them.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
For me, I've not had any issues with the difficulty or 50 health.

I'm playing on 'Bring 'em on!' And for the most part I've found it just the right side of challenging, I've died a hell of a lot, sure, but it has never really felt unfair to me or hard enough for me to drop the difficulty down.

At the start of the game I was using stealth a lot but as I've gone on I mostly just go loud with the dual-shotguns from the get-go. As long as you treat the combat like DOOM, keep moving at all times, keep picking up health and armour then you won't have many problems. (Playing with an XB1 controller on PC).

As for the 50 health, I think its masterful how they tied that in with the narrative, and as you get double armour I never found it a hindrance personally.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
What a finale.

Being able to kill Engel on live television is such an amazingly cathartic moment in a game loaded to the brim with catharsis. And now the Kreisau Circle has a badass airship!

I can't wait for the next game, but in the meantime I'm gonna play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolf '09.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I find the difficulty just right. The big thing in New Colossus is to move all the time while you're dealing with enemies. If you "stop and shoot" you ll get mowed down. Dual wield is very effective but also pretty dangerous because of the reload time alone ... until you get the shotgun that is

Oh yeah AI also seems to have a knack for knowing where you are at almost all times, so just camp a door entrance and you'll be fine. Or a corner without too many entrances
Well on harder difficulties moving around gets quite tough especially in open spaces. Every corner is filled with enemies armed with hitscan weapons so you can't just avoid projectiles like in Doom and you don't have extra abilities as in Crysis. I'm playing with m + kb on hard and it is usually easy to fool AI with corners and doorways like that but it isn't really much fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I finished the game last night, easiest difficulty. I was more keen on exploring, enjoying the story and destroying Nazis than being challenged lol.

Took me about 10 and a half hours. Loved every minute of it!

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Having put the difficulty down to "don't hurt me" I'm having way more fun. I've died a few times but I know that was mostly my fault (or when it checkpoints you with 30hp and no armour)

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just started the game. Playing on PS4 pro. Still in the wheelchair section but damn this game looks good

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well on harder difficulties moving around gets quite tough especially in open spaces. Every corner is filled with enemies armed with hitscan weapons so you can't just avoid projectiles like in Doom and you don't have extra abilities as in Crysis. I'm playing with m + kb on hard and it is usually easy to fool AI with corners and doorways like that but it isn't really much fun.

if you re out in an open space you re just asking to die at that point, its really not the game to do that in