• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I am up to second visit in
Section 7
, some thoughts:

- music is absolutely amazing, but feels misused - there's this section in Manhattan where awesome, electronic track kicks in, but then you are supposed to be stealthy to actually survive this part of the level and your hype level drops like a rock
- Manhattan looked absolutely amazing, but was a pain to navigate
- BJ is an amazing character, I love his dialogues with Caroline
- I hate when someone smokes when children are around
- your survivability is ridiculously low, I thought I was good at FPS games, but on the "normal" difficulty I am often dead in 2 seconds and stealth is not as good as shooting. I know you are supposed to stockpile on health items before going gun-blazing, but still...
- not a fan of commander system, it feels like another thing to stop you from having fun
- never before I had that issue, but all the head-bobbing is giving me a slight motion sickness

Overall it feels like a downgrade from previous game, but I hope I'm still at the beginning and it will pick up.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Right I'm up to the
courthouse
level and yeah I'm going to tone down the difficulty. The combat in this game has been so horribly misjudged, the speed at which you move and the weapons it gives you tell you to play it like Doom but you do down quicker than COD. It feels like I have to continually sprint around levels tapping square hoping I'll pick up some armour or health.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I am up to second visit in
Section 7
, some thoughts:

- music is absolutely amazing, but feels misused - there's this section in Manhattan where awesome, electronic track kicks in, but then you are supposed to be stealthy to actually survive this part of the level and your hype level drops like a rock
Ya, lmao, I felt the exact same way at that point. Mick Gordon comes in hot and then I just kind of crouch-walk along real slowly. =/

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
- not a fan of commander system, it feels like another thing to stop you from having fun

Yeah, it was fine in the first game, because the commanders were always really close by. You could sometimes shoot them in the head from your starting position and be done with it.

In this, they are often 80-90m away and a pain in the ass to get close to.

Also, commander sections are far too frequent in this.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, there's a particular boss battle that's driving me up the friggin' wall:

On top of Engel's ship, you fight waves of heavies and light enemies before two colossal bastards pop out and start hammering your position with missiles. As if I didn't hate the knockdown mechanic before, this fight makes me despise it. Get knocked down on "Do or die" and there's no more doing for you, just dying.

The Ubergewehr is cool, but takes such an obscenely long time to charge that it's not really worth using, from what I've found. And that SUCKS, because it should handily outclass the other heavy weapons in the game, considering when you pick it up. But when your enemies are moving, they can quite literally just walk out of the orb's radius and come out with little damage taken. And it's way too damn easy to just hit cover in front of you, because the projectile arcs downwards so quickly. And when that happens, you get knocked down and eat the full force of the blast (and likely die in the process).

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not sure how the "Point of Interest" markers work on the maps. I'm redoing the Roswell Underground (via the Enigma stuff) to try for collections, and it says I'm missing a gold piece but there are no more markers and no more commanders. I guess I just gotta scour every nook and cranny?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a blast with this game, but I have to quick caveats:

The flying sentries ruin all the fun. Trying to stealth a level (especially the Enigma missions) is virtually impossible when there's a flying sentry. They seem to have infinite line of sight, so they can spot you from miles away and instantly raise the alarm. I haven't found a way to disable them without putting them in alert mode, even with the silenced pistol.

The crashes in the Enigma missions are terrible. I had had a perfect experience with the game in terms of technical aspects, but I can't make it work properly with these missions. Going to and coming from them makes the game crash 3 out of 4 times I try.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, fuck the Farmhouse Enigma mission that takes place in the dark. Stealth is impossible because the Nazis don't seem to be inhibited by the dense fog and cover of night, so they can see me waaaaaay before I can see them. And even once you go loud there's so fucking many of the bastards (2 commanders yaaaaay) that you end up dying by sheer attrition from potshots out of the mist.

outsider

Oct 27, 2017
Love everything I've experienced so far. Very happy they made another one of these. All hail quality Single Player games!

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or is the analogue stick control for walking (left stick) weirdly balanced? I can either barely move or almost sprint.

And I hate that I have no flashlight. So many dark corners everywhere.

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't really been bothering with stealth much in this one. I just want to shoot me some nazis.
Also I've missed most of the collectables so far. Oops.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. Really enjoyed the story, level ideas, music, acting and writing. The guns definitely feel better and I think the only thing the game wouldve needed to be better is all balance stuff that could be patched in like getting the onscreen notification of low HP around 25 HP instead of 10, better indicators of where you're being fired at and maybe shrinking some of the extra paths in some of the levels

Definitely the best written and acted game of 2017

Debra Wilson REALLY needs to be in more stuff.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Poor Critikal just had his save corrupt.

Dunno, something about these visuals just gives me a headache. Must be the bloom or FoV.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
If I start a new game using the same progression slot as my previous playthrough do my perks and collectible progress carry over?

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Right I'm up to the
courthouse
level and yeah I'm going to tone down the difficulty. The combat in this game has been so horribly misjudged, the speed at which you move and the weapons it gives you tell you to play it like Doom but you do down quicker than COD. It feels like I have to continually sprint around levels tapping square hoping I'll pick up some armour or health.
Yea I think the design is much more appropriate for PC kb/m than for controller. I think they should've adjusted it a bit too. I will likely move down from normal to easy mode as well.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
The graphics are insane in this game.

It is. I'm not even too far in the game but the cutscenes are amazing in this game, i was wondering if it was CG :o
The faces are some of the best i've seen in gaming, even though they are not aiming for photorealism, they are more of a cararicature of human faces, but they are so good.

And the water :o~~

Majik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I'm not really feeling it. It's nice enough visually and some of the locations are great, strong intro with the wheelchair and some really nicely designed characters and enemies... particularly in the cutscenes...

But the AI is dreadful, the 50hp nonsense goes on for too long, the weapons don't feel that interesting and the higher difficulties are like playing CoD on vetertan with instant deaths as soon as your spotted. The whole 'kill the commander to stop him calling in reinforcement thing was cute enough in the previous game but here it's tedious as they're always really far away. It feels like the game has been designed around dual wielding run and gun on the easy difficulties. The writing is washy and the game doesn't have the same kind of pulp charm that made TNO so good. It's both too serious and too stupid at the same time, and don't even get me started on the awful internal monologue.

I'm nearing the end now so I'm going to see it through, but I'm failing to see why it's being praised to highly. It doesn't come close to being one of the best shooters of all time.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Poor Critikal just had his save corrupt.

Dunno, something about these visuals just gives me a headache. Must be the bloom or FoV.

For me, it's the crazy amount of headbobbing. When you turn slightly to the left or right, BJ jerks his head towards his shoulder and gives you a look at the world, tilted 30 degrees to the side. When you look around while crouched, your reticle kicks upwards before settling down when you stop looking to the left or right.

It's frankly awful and one of my least favorite parts of an otherwise superb game. I hope we get a headbob slider that lets us adjust the intensity of the effect soon.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I think the design is much more appropriate for PC kb/m than for controller. I think they should've adjusted it a bit too. I will likely move down from normal to easy mode as well.

Yeah I just finished the fight on "Don't Hurt Me Difficulty" and it felt a lot more satisfying. The balance is one of the biggest things holding the game back for me right now so hopefully it'll feel smoother going forward

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I hope MachineGames continuous to patch parts of the game because the difficulty seems to be all over the place (as many people have mentioned in here). I might just drop the difficulty down a level which is something I have never felt compelled to do in a game before but as is it just feels kinda broken at spots.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
The game's difficulty is starting to get on my nerves...I even bumped it down to the second level and still die all the time. What's the fucking point of capping you at 50 health? Ugh

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, I'm not really feeling it. It's nice enough visually and some of the locations are great, strong intro with the wheelchair and some really nicely designed characters and enemies... particularly in the cutscenes...

But the AI is dreadful, the 50hp nonsense goes on for too long, the weapons don't feel that interesting and the higher difficulties are like playing CoD on vetertan with instant deaths as soon as your spotted. The whole 'kill the commander to stop him calling in reinforcement thing was cute enough in the previous game but here it's tedious as they're always really far away. It feels like the game has been designed around dual wielding run and gun on the easy difficulties. The writing is washy and the game doesn't have the same kind of pulp charm that made TNO so good. It's both too serious and too stupid at the same time, and don't even get me started on the awful internal monologue.

I'm nearing the end now so I'm going to see it through, but I'm failing to see why it's being praised to highly. It doesn't come close to being one of the best shooters of all time.

yeah i have to agree. tno was much better.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

But the AI is dreadful, the 50hp nonsense goes on for too long, the weapons don't feel that interesting and the higher difficulties are like playing CoD on vetertan with instant deaths as soon as your spotted. The whole 'kill the commander to stop him calling in reinforcement thing was cute enough in the previous game but here it's tedious as they're always really far away. It feels like the game has been designed around dual wielding run and gun on the easy difficulties.
I agree. Shooting typical hitscan AI bots behind covers got quite boring already in COD SPs ten years ago and this basically feels like the same. Also the lack of visual cues when taking damage in addition to weird audio mixing hiding the fact someone is shooting near you gets annoying. Running & gunning does not work well since enemies are just hitscanning.

While gameplay-wise TNC isn't particularly good pretty much everything else in the game is though.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, to hell with that, I just dropped difficulty to easy and it instantly became better. And you can still die if you are not careful enough.

Roswell
was such a wonderful, wonderful level. So much detail, so many interesting conversations you can eavesdrop. Outstanding stuff.

And now back to another underground base :lol

It's especially painful because they clearly know what makes their games fun -

THEY GIVE YOU DOUBLE SHOTGUN ON EXTREMELY LINEAR LEVEL, JUST SO YOU CAN PLOW THROUGH NAZIS

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a few hours in. The story and characters are great so far, but the level design and combat encounters are unfathomably bad. I'm not sure what happened there considering they were perfect in the first game.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I went back to try out The Old Blood, which I was really lukewarm on when I originally played, and I think I might like it better than New Colossus in the gameplay department :/

Like I'm playing Uber and I'm surviving far longer than I did on normal on New Colossus.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Graphics - Amazing
Characters and Narrative - Amazing
Gameplay - Ehhhh

I cannot figure it out. How is the game feel so different from New Order. NO is my favorite FPS of the last gen by far but I pretty much don't enjoy any encounter in NC. You know what it reminds me of. Do you guys remember when Uncharted 3 came out and somehow the aiming was just absolutely broken. Like it seemed impossible to hit people? That's how NC feels. It feels so damn hard to actually hit people where I want and I can't figure it out.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Right I'm up to the
courthouse
Sounds just like TNO.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions on gun upgrades? So far I've only got the supressor for the pistol (which is wonderful)

AP rounds and the jungle mag on the Stormgewehr. Wield those akimbo and you can tear through armored soldiers and heavies with ease.

Extended mag and integrated suppressor on the Maschinenpistole, since nothing says "f*** you" quite like dumping 180 rounds into Nazi scum with guns akimbo. Bonus points when you get the "Terror Billy" perk and start charging around everywhere, clearing rooms of mooks without being detected.

Ricochet and extended mags on the Schockhammer. Just like in TNO, flechettes are deadly in close quarters. Unlike TNO, shotgun ammo is PLENTIFUL, and the ricochet mod turns all your regular buckshot into flechettes. They may not pack the absurd damage of flechettes, but they're a helluva lot easier to spam, and in tight rooms it'll still turn enemies to mulch.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck early in the game in
Section F
& can't figure out how to progress out of the room & continue looking for a nuclear warhead supply.

EDIT: Finally figured out, had to drop down into a section I thought for sure would be an automatic death.

Last edited:

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Man, they really improved the hub area in this game.

Some of the conversations and interactions are downright hilarious and easily missable. I have my issues with the gameplay, but the writing is absolutely on point so far

Some of my favourites are:
Max and Set's chess game, Sigrun singing and Max playing pool.

Barajas_201

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Hey guys Wolfenstein: The Two-Pack is $20 on Amazon, you think it might go for lower during Black Friday or should I pull the trigger now? I'm new to the franchise but the Easy Allies review sold me on The New Colossus.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Still playing the game on bring em on and I have to say I feel like I take way less hits than I can take on The New Order.
Like man sometimes I'll be in a firefight someone will get the flank on me for slightly less than a second and I'd be either down to 25 or out of armor.
That being said I've been playing for about 15 hours now and I would say that I like this slightly more than TNO, these little hitlist missions are fine being there because it gives me yet another reason to return to areas and try to find all of the collectibles of which there is a ton of them to find.
The amount of collectibles in this game is probably comparable to an open world game.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just finished it on PC (Do or die! difficulty). Went through that thing in 23 hours. While I agree that the hit indicators are pretty shitty and you drop too fast it still is a blast to play if you are able to navigate around the level. Oh, and using stealth also is amazing. The silenced pistol is too good. Those headshots are satisfying as fuck.

It's in my top 3 this year, but I still need to play Odyssey. Which I will play now after blasting through this game in three days. This is one fucking great game.

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I remember what's the thing that really, really kills my enjoyment of this game: the way it does literally nothing to show you're being hit. Only when you get to around 20 HP you begin to get blurry, black and white vision to tell you you're being hit. But by that time, it's too late most of the time. I can't believe no one told Machine Games that this was bullshit during playtesting. I'm loving this game, but I can't remember how many times I've died without even realizing I was being hit.

No checkpoint in some of these assassination side missions can be brutal.

You can manually save at any time, though. At least, on PC you can.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The game's difficulty is starting to get on my nerves...I even bumped it down to the second level and still die all the time. What's the fucking point of capping you at 50 health? Ugh
BJ is broken and not the person he once was physically. I find it a pretty clever meshing of narrative and such a common gameplay element