• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shooting feels odd in this game. Not really satisfying, and I feel like it's hard to aim these things. Maybe it's too twitchy or something. Doom played perfectly. Oh well. It's fun so far, but I think I liked the first game better for now.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always stocked up on armour though. Enemies drop it, and you find it all over the environment. Not to mention you can keep your health overcharged. Are you playing on console? Perhaps that might contribute to increased difficulty, with less aim precision.

It's a matter of aim precision, lack of feedback, low HP, inability to react really quickly. The game doesn't do a lot to let you know you're in trouble until you hit 10HP, at which point you might as well be dead.

It's no fun to struggle and barely make it through a firefight, only to have some single random dude pop you out of nowhere and send you all the way back to a checkpoint that was 5 minutes ago. It really feels like the game was built with QuickSave/QuickLoad spamming in mind. Trying to use the checkpoint system is awful. While the console versions do allow you to save/load anywhere, doing so is a lot more cumbersome.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd be surprised what kind of fights you can skip (AKA giant robots)
Does this game even have any mandatory boss fights? As far as I can tell, it's possibly to run past or otherwise avoid almost every major encounter.

I was kinda surprised, since The New Order had at least a couple memorable boss battles. In TNC they just spawn a giant robot every now and again but if you don't feel like beating it then you can just run along.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it my headset or the game has audio sync issues on the ps4. I know people complained about this on TNO too but I never faced a problem.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of audio issues, why is BJ's inner monologue so loud and the guns so weak. There's some serious sound balance issues in this game.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just met the NYC resistance cell and Jesus Christ this game doesn't pull any punches does it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Weird. I had a lot of issues with the sound in The New Order but this game sounds fine to me. I'm using surround headphones and changed the game settings to stereo or something.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
Never got around to playing the first behind the first couple of hours. I really wanna get back to it and finish (probably starting over) so I can eventually play this one.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Never got around to playing the first behind the first couple of hours. I really wanna get back to it and finish (probably starting over) so I can eventually play this one.
You can get through the first game very quickly and easily if you play on the lowest difficulty, like if you just want to see the main story. And it's quite fun on easy too.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
You can get through the first game very quickly and easily if you play on the lowest difficulty, like if you just want to see the main story. And it's quite fun on easy too.
Good idea! I always forget to think about easy mode as an option to get through a game fast.

But first I gotta keep going on mario :)

I did already buy W2 to support the dev.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Just had to force myself to stop playing. 11 hours today. GOTY

Everything that made The New Order great, made great-er. Story as good as ever, and brilliant twists and turns. I was fooled into thinking the game was getting to the home stretch 7 hours in (which felt way too early) but thankfully it was just starting to kick into overdrive

I appreciate that they really chilled out with the bullet sponge enemies. Definitely start getting heavily armored enemies as you get deeper in but it's not as bad as the first game

Occasionally you'll get a frustrating checkpoint in a kill room where you're just constantly getting zapped, which can be pretty miserable, but eventually you get good and figure it out. I do wish they wouldn't have cut health, even at 100 you get shredded quick

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
is anyone noticing extremely low res textures on weapons and faces? This seems to be a bug or at least i HOPE its a bug. Looks really bad. its like the splashed paint on polygons.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shooting feels odd in this game. Not really satisfying, and I feel like it's hard to aim these things. Maybe it's too twitchy or something. Doom played perfectly. Oh well. It's fun so far, but I think I liked the first game better for now.
I almost feel like it's required to shoot using hipfire or something, because ADS in this game is atrocious.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is there no grenade indicator when they're in front of you? kept getting knocked down by them during one part but never saw an indicator pop up.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Auzgezeichnet OT! Ich habe endlich dieses Spiel gestartet. Die idTech 6 Eingine ist einfach wunderschöne.

Alright seriously. Only just had time to do the first couple levels but man, that DOOM engine. I guess Wolfenstein has the same advantages going for it -- its level design and mechanics don't really demand any especially hardware-intensive tasks compared to say, an open-world game (I guess I need to check out Evil Within 2 to see how that handles it). I'm just trying to wrap my head around how DOOM and this can look so good and run so smoothly at the same time.

Just the first two levels already reveal a pretty ingeniously designed game. I'm shocked at how well the initial wheelchair section plays. Definitely a much better opening than the first game. And twice already have I gotten new tools that the game instantly uses for new gameplay possibilities.

Cut scenes so far might be a bit excessive with the characterization though. I though the very beginning too a tad bit too long before it let you play, and I don't know if the very first reveal of
Engel's daughter was necessary. The second scene with her kinda delivers the same information, but whatever.

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Yeah agree. Probably most of the quirks are more on the minor side, but it can be annoying.

Things are going more smoothly now than earlier in the game, but still, eh. This game is still fantastic in most other ways however.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is driving me crazy but where can I find maria and deliver this damn letter.

Edit:Nvm

Last edited:

disChapo

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on Call me Terror-Billy and I'm getting destroyed but still having fun though. OG Destiny White PS4 sounding like a jet engine though, first game that makes it do that.

edit:
are there no health upgrades in this one? I've been stuck at 50hp...

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this game is throwing me off. I'm still relatively early though, maybe I just need to get used to it.

Also, maybe it is the 50 starting health and no real indicator when you are about to die.

Stune

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
So I'm not sure if this is necessarily a spoiler, but I'm out of a certain consumable collectible and I'm at a point where I'm not sure how to get more?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

I had to really lower the sensitivity on the PS4 for it to feel alright.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just beat it. It's late at night so I'm not going to type too much, but that was pretty much exactly what I wanted from this game. I do see some of the gameplay issues and I died a fair number of times on Do or Die! but I was able to get through it without lowering the difficulty. Now I might set it to easy to do some of the post game stuff until I get bored.

I love how cinematic a lot of the cut scenes are. I wonder if the director/team in that area of machine games used to work in film or something.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are one of the contraptions like head and shoulders above the others or are they all basically different but the same?

Wanchop

Oct 26, 2017
Malta
So what difficulty should I play this on? I had finished TNO on I am death incarnate without any problems, but I'm hearing that this is a fair bit more challenging..

Oct 25, 2017
Whoo. This game's a lot harder than TNO and Old Blood. I'm on Death Incarnate and it's a lot harder than Insane was in the first game. It's also a lot harder to stealth kill through encounters so far. Maybe it's cause I'm stuck at 50 health. Are there no health upgrades in this game? Just got to
New York

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This game has the most bat shit insane story of anything I've played in the past ten years

Gameplay is super fun though and the guns feel punchy.
Glad to hear they can keep up with TNO storywise. Remember how suprised everyone was with the story in a Wolfenstein game.

Would you recommend replaying the old blood DLC or isn't it referenced at all in this one?

Last question: any more throwbacks to Wolfenstein 3D like the dream sequences in TNO and TOB?

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I'm having a really hard time looking down the gun sights and consistently hitting guys where I want. I feel like so much of the view is covered up by your weapon. Any of you guys dealing with this

Definitely. It was the same way in TNO, but I played that on PC and so it wasn't really an issue. Playing NC on PS4 and it's kind of bugging me. When playing shooters with fumblesticks I really prefer using my sights.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
The New Order was surprisingly well written and acted, but The New Colossus is actually some masterclass stuff. I find myself looking forward more to the scenes and interactions between the levels than all the Nazi killing, which is still fun as hell of course. Lots of humor, some very on point social commentary, and legit heart-wrenching scenes with Anya and BJ.

It's so weird that a game about futuristic retro Nazi slaying, featuring robot attack dogs and bionic power suits, has a better crafted story than 90% of the games I've ever played

Zeb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've finished the first chapter and the first hub section and I have to say that the game plays exactly like TNO for me (finished Old Blood a couple of weeks ago so memories are still fresh), it just feels more expansive. But so far so good. Lighting and graphics are off the charts of course, especially given very good performance.

What I really want is an immersive sim in this universe. Something akin to Dishonored but that's not happening... sigh.

madspooky

Oct 28, 2017
Fort Kent, ME
As someone who is interested in getting this, is it worth playing through the first one first, or will I get a general idea of what is going on through the second one?

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game...I'm really surprised that it ended up being a little bit disappointing. I feel like they left a lot of plotlines hanging and the game ended at what I felt to be the mid/late game. I also didn't care for a lot of the combat encounters (played on Do or Die). With the combination of commanders being a thousand miles away, bad feedback on taking damage, bad checkpoint, the AWFUL knockdown mechanic that had me falling on my ass until I was dead multiple times, it ended up being closer to the Old Blood in terms of quality. I'll likely give it another playthrough with Wyatt but we will see if I'm able to get through it.

The graphics, gunplay, voice work, the tone and the cutscenes were all goddamn fantastic though.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is interested in getting this, is it worth playing through the first one first, or will I get a general idea of what is going on through the second one?

The game starts with a "previously in Wolfenstein - The New Order" that gives the very high notes, but you might want to find a YouTube supercut of the cutscenes to get a deeper idea of characters motivations. It skips some moments from the first game that I thought should have been in there.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

You'll get a recap of the first game (but not the Old Blood expansion), but honestly I would suggest playing The New Order. It is really fantastic in its own right. It's only an 8 hour game or so, and it is pretty cheap by now. I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by playing it first. There's a lot of interpersonal relationship stuff that you just don't get informed of through a recap, stuff that makes the personal interactions in this game better, and yeah this is actually an FPS with a story worth paying attention to :)

Oct 25, 2017
I find duel wield pointless in all of these games, it's fun, sure, but also pointless.

It's a huge must on harder difficulties. I didn't really need it until late game on Insane in the first one, but I already needed it in the first levels in this one. You'll just get torn apart without that double damage killing enemies before they can fire at you whenever you're stuck in the open. You can also fire the other gun while reloading one which can be a life saver.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously one of the most frustrating games in recent memory.

The lack of feedback when being hit is just awful. Serious oversight by MachineGames. Even when you feel prepared for a firefight, it just takes looking the wrong direction once to die. The aiming is sloppy. Weapons feel punishing to the player while enemies feel like a bullet sponge.

The game is pretty. The story is great, but all that is thrown out with the game being so frustrating to play. This is especially frustrating after how awesome DOOM (2016) was. Bethesda should have known better.

TrickyPhysics

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus, I just hit what I can only assume everyone is referring to as "that part". What an emotional roller coaster those couple of scenes were.

That death got me good. I figured his ridiculous action movie aspirations would lead to a comedic version of it not working out, but good lord, what a way to continue establishing a villain.

Have to say I agree with the lack of hit detection being a nuisance, but then again I'm also playing on the lowest difficulty for the sake of my horrid stealth skills. What a game though, as someone who loved The New Order I am ridiculously satisfied.