• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deified Data

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly you can take so few hits that knowing whether I've been hit or not isn't too important for my playstyle, which is basically die over and over again during a setpiece until I can do it perfectly.

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep getting the error message "MESSAGE TYPE NOT DEFINED" when I try to load my saved games, then the game freezes. Any ideas?

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
Having played to (what I think is) that point so far, I think my thoughts echo what has pretty much already been said here:

-Feedback to being shot is lacking and I often find myself dead because I didn't realize I was being shot.
-The sights on a lot of these weapons are hard to use, so despite having the auto-aim setting on, I find enemies difficult to shoot.
-Because of the two points above and because HP has been set to 50 so far, BJ often feels kind of weak.
-I don't recall having any of these issues with TNO or TOB.
-Lack of HDR for PS4 Pro is a little disappointing but it is otherwise a very pretty game.
-The audio volume for voices defaults way too low. I recommend turning that up to 75. Voices get lost in all the other audio.
-Stealth seems to be what the game often pushes you to but the mechanics involving stealth don't always click (silenced weapons even on low levels of difficulty aren't one shot one kill with headshots - melee seems to be the only quiet way to kill people without accidentally alerting anyone. It has been a few years since I played TNO but I don't recall this problem there).
-Story is the tops.

I think it's well worth the $80 I paid and doesn't detract enough to not purchase, just things I hope are addressed in the next one.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Having played to (what I think is) that point so far, I think my thoughts echo what has pretty much already been said here:

-Feedback to being shot is lacking and I often find myself dead because I didn't realize I was being shot.
-The sights on a lot of these weapons are hard to use, so despite having the auto-aim setting on, I find enemies difficult to shoot.
-Because of the two points above and because HP has been set to 50 so far, BJ often feels kind of weak.
-Lack of HDR for PS4 Pro is a little disappointing but it is otherwise a very pretty game.
-The audio volume for voices defaults way too low. I recommend turning that up to 75. Voices get lost in all the other audio.
-Stealth seems to be what the game often pushes you to but the mechanics involving stealth don't always click (silenced weapons even on low levels of difficulty aren't one shot one kill with headshots - melee seems to be the only quiet way to kill people without accidentally alerting anyone. It has been a few years since I played TNO but I don't recall this problem there).
-Story is the tops.

I think it's well worth the $80 I paid and doesn't detract enough to not purchase, just things I hope are addressed in the next one.

Headshots are one hit kills for me on Do or Die except for the big armored guys obviously.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
For the record I don't think feedback when being shot is bad, but you have so little health you will probably die by the time you figure out where the shots are coming from since you have so little health. It's usually "wait, I'm being sho-- nvm."

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Why was the base health dropped down to 50?

Honestly feel like taking the difficultly down a notch.
The empire state building penthouse got pretty frustrating.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Well, can't say I'm super surprised at the fact that hit happened. After hearing BJ lament about his body failing him, his weaker state and being forced to wear the Da'at Yichud armor to even walk, I figured something extreme would happen to get him back on his feet.

It was when I put together a simple puzzle that I saw the twist: Set's note detailing Caroline wishing a body to be preserved in a special fluid, the headless body in Set's lab, and Set's monkeycat. Once I put those all together (before the Roswell mission), I knew what was going to happen. It was just a matter of the when and how. An execution block turned out to be just the right thing to set it in motion.

It's weird to be right. But damn, what an awesome cinematic.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So i guess doing the district missions is the way to go back for collectibles, but there are also new ones too? Not quite sure how it works.

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized all my perks are at 0... is this a glitch ?

can I beat the game on death incarnate without any perks? challenge accepted

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
My god I just cleared the Roswell and the stuff that happened when I pieced it together was so damn good.
Those 8 hours rumours of this game are a load of crap been on it 8 hours nearly and there is far more left to do than one would expect. That shotgun is damn satisfying to use my god.
The visuals are so much better than the previous game that it is crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
NG+ as an option might have helped my issues with the gameplay on repeats at least. I genuinely hope that is something they add to this.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the issue that people are having with some of these encounters is that I feel the game would benefit greatly from a survival horror segment in their place. The game gives you this narrative and tone that then clashes with these meat grinder death fests that almost punish you, the game already promotes stealth, but yeah, then these encounters show up and it contradicts what you've been doing imo.

I feel like The Last of Us did a lot of these big encounters just right. Would maybe like to see them take influence from it for the third one.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017

What can I tell you? She's just walking around insulting everyone after only just meeting them. What really makes it irritating to me is the parts that are absolutely incredible like her monologue about the bomb going off in New York. That was amazing.

I'm just hitting New Orleans though, so I haven't had a lot of interactions with her yet.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
What can I tell you? She's just walking around insulting everyone after only just meeting them. What really makes it irritating to me is the parts that are absolutely incredible like her monologue about the bomb going off in New York. That was amazing.

I'm just hitting New Orleans though, so I haven't had a lot of interactions with her yet.

You should also understand why she's not trustworthy of anyone after living in the bombed out Nazi dominated US.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Really loving the game, been playing for around 9 hours on hard and just got the enigma machine unlocked. I wondered if I missed something somewhere because you have been collecting those for a long time and it finally happened. I had to disable the overlay on pc because it caused flickering and other problem for me. Still crashing on alt tabs as well. I think this is probably my favorite shooter since the last one came out. The characters and the story and writing are all so good. I'm feeling it.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Holy fucking shit those credits.

I had no idea you could actually make We're Not Gonna Take It sound awesome. \m/

I am very satisfied with this game, looking forward to another playthrough later.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say her lack of trust was unreasonable, just irritating. Though I do wish I could see more interactions between Super Spesh and her. That is a real odd couple, but love how they met.

What I meant to imply was, I wouldn't respect the people around me if I knew they may or may not be Nazis; this involves insulting them.

Oct 27, 2017
Just started Section F, and I agree with the lack of feedback to being shot being frustrating. That being said, the Laserkraftwerk is a sight to behold and an absolute joy to use. Loving the story and voice acting so far as well, which is expected after how good TNO was on these fronts as well.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Hye guys, like my new avatar? lol. I just lost it when it happened. The WHOLE scene was brilliant-

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Fuck YouTube spoiling all kinds of shit. My recommend feed is a disaster right now and I haven't got a chance to play the game yet.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I gotta say I'm definitely feeling this "where the fuck am I getting shot from" thing other people are experiencing. And holy shit, when you get stuck in a spirl of getting knocked down because of explosions, what are you supposed to do?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I hope a future update patches in checkpoints during those optional district assassination missions. It is fatiguing as hell to have to replay the whole thing because I died. I shouldn't have to resort to save scumming to make my own checkpoints.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017

-Story is the tops.

While the game is, fundamentally, awesome, I agree with a some of this:

The 50 health limit at the start is a pita early on. You can die very quickly. This isn't a problem by itself; fast paced, quick moving action is always fun, but this is ruined by how hard it is to reliably pick up health. You often need to stop and look around carefully - that will get you killed.
The fact that melee is locked in a long animation and you remain vulnerable while it plays is also an issue.

TNC is a game that balances stealth with sure aim and a fast trigger finger. Unfortunately it frequently requires you to stand still while fighting. Add to this a somewhat clumsy traversal system and (at least for me) crushed blacks making the enemies hard to see it makes for a surprisingly frustrating game.

The story, setting, characters and the fundamentally gunplay is still fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope a future update patches in checkpoints during those optional district assassination missions. It is fatiguing as hell to have to replay the whole thing because I died. I shouldn't have to resort to save scumming to make my own checkpoints.

Yep. Those things are just plain not fun and stealth isn't viable at all in the ones I played. Basically best just sprinting at the target and hatcheting their face.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I do think the gameplay is poor, visual indicators for feedback are bad, the game doesn't seem to know what it wants the player to do, sometimes it feels like it wants you to play it a bit like DOOM but then you die instantly. It's a bit of a mess really.

If I'm going to replay an FPS then it's still going to be DOOM, but the story, writing and characters make up for it mostly.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm about 8 hours in and I'm just not enjoying the gameplay much. The level design is bad (either too confusing or too linear), the feedback on getting hit sucks, and I feel it lacks a clear mechanical identity. The stealth isn't great, but neither is the shooting. Direct confrontation can either go great or you can die very quickly. I feel like the most effective play style is just picking people off from medium range with the scoped rifle, but that feels antithetical to the spirit of the game. The problem is that it just doesn't reward balls-out combat like, say, DOOM did. I think I'm just gonna set it to the easiest difficulty and plow through for the story and ignore everything else because I think I'll burn out if I try to do all the assassinations and whatnot.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Have they said when patches were coming out? Watching the VG tech analysis I'm not liking the framerate drops or the resolution dropping to such low levels on ps4.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it with about 15 hours on the clock and overall really enjoyed it, personally I think it's better than TNO and TOB in gameplay and story. I'll probably not do another playthrough right now but I am mopping up some side stuff at the minute.

I agree with the biggest complaint about not knowing where you are being shot from, it can be some bullshit at times where you have no idea where the bullets are coming from but I'm a save scumming prick so that helped quite a bit. I don't agree with the levels being too open though, I loved that and I like the fact it gives me more room to move in combat and explore for collectibles. In a way I think it's also necessary due to only having 50 health at the start and it giving you a lot more room to hit and run during combat scenarios. To be honest I felt going loud in this was easier compared to TNO where I felt it was generally harder and lead to you getting killed quicker, though TNC is generally harder overall. I need to replay TNO though as it's been a few years since my last playthrough to be honest. I was perfectly fine with their being no hitmarkers and thought shooting Nazis was still a joy with some good gorey feedback.

I'm still disappointed with the sound and wondering why, despite being better, they can't get it just 'right' ? At times the mix sounds really weird, it's like the gunshots themselves are ok but they don't sound as powerful as they could. Directional sound is also absolutely non existent, I was standing in a building and listening to two Nazis speaking to each other and it was like they were right beside when in face they were above me one or two floors.

Storywise and acting wise though I can't really complain, by far the best part of the game. One of my favourite characters was
Sigrun Engel
and I really enjoyed all her scenes, one of my favourite little moments was when
she was in the canteen and sat down near some people but they all got up and moved away. I sat down and let her talk to me and then they asked what she did. She replies about how she helped save BJs life etc at the start and they invite her to sit down and play a game with them
Little moments like that were great all the way through.

You can tell it's a middle game, there's obviously going to be a third game or at least I really really hope there will be. The ending and other things really lead up to it.

Last edited:

Fingerthing

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game. I'm mostly positive about the game, though I don't think it's quite as strong as New Order. Such an important part about the last game was making the nazis - not just the leaders, though them too - absolutely despicable. The game threw you into concentration camps, had characters rationalizing eugenics, and showed the horrible effects of finding the final "übermensch." Colossus sort of skips on this, perhaps just because it doesn't want to retread old ground, but the very specifically nazi oppression is absolutely the emotional backbone to these games, and it's not explored as much to the game's detriment. On the other hand, the supporting crew is so wonderful that they almost make up for it. Set in particular.

To get into spoilers...
I liked the idea of exploring America's complacency in racism and fascistic tendencies throughout history, touched on by Grace and BJ's past and the development of the KKK, but it's never more than a stern glare. The closest it comes is the Roswell level, and I wish there'd been a few more moments like that to really hammer home what the resistance is fighting for - and if it is perhaps worth fighting for, with so many Americans seemingly all too happy to welcome back slavery and the removal of "degeneracy."

I'm also not sure how to feel about BJ's arc. It's something of a reversal of TNO, where instead of being torn down - both literally and symbolically as the typical "white soldier male man video game protagonist" - the man is built up into something better, more human, through his actions and motivations - culminating in his proposal to Anya. I think it's a weird place to say goodbye to a character, albeit sweet, but I feel it might be time for someone new to step in for the sequel. He's literally in the background of the final shot for the majority of it, behind the leader of your choice. BJ's a soldier and, bless his country soul, needs to do other things than killing a thousand nazis now. I just don't see where else he can go otherwise.

In that regard, I wish the game had given him a little bit more of a send-off. A geralt wink, or something. He deserves it.
But for now: Does anyone know where I can find everyone in the post-game? Where Is My Wife And My Precious Child Wyatt

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. I'm mostly positive about the game, though I don't think it's quite as strong as New Order. Such an important part about the last game was making the nazis - not just the leaders, though them too - absolutely despicable. The game threw you into concentration camps, had characters rationalizing eugenics, and showed the horrible effects of finding the final "übermensch." Colossus sort of skips on this, perhaps just because it doesn't want to retread old ground, but the very specifically nazi oppression is absolutely the emotional backbone to these games, and it's not explored as much to the game's detriment. On the other hand, the supporting crew is so wonderful that they almost make up for it. Set in particular.

To get into spoilers...
I liked the idea of exploring America's complacency in racism and fascistic tendencies throughout history, touched on by Grace and BJ's past and the development of the KKK, but it's never more than a stern glare. The closest it comes is the Roswell level, and I wish there'd been a few more moments like that to really hammer home what the resistance is fighting for - and if it is perhaps worth fighting for, with so many Americans seemingly all too happy to welcome back slavery and the removal of "degeneracy."

I'm also not sure how to feel about BJ's arc. It's something of a reversal of TNO, where instead of being torn down - both literally and symbolically as the typical "white soldier male man video game protagonist" - the man is built up into something better, more human, through his actions and motivations - culminating in his proposal to Anya. I think it's a weird place to say goodbye to a character, albeit sweet, but I feel it might be time for someone new to step in for the sequel. He's literally in the background of the final shot for the majority of it, behind the leader of your choice. BJ's a soldier and, bless his country soul, needs to do other things than killing a thousand nazis now. I just don't see where else he can go otherwise.

In that regard, I wish the game had given him a little bit more of a send-off. A geralt wink, or something. He deserves it.
But for now: Does anyone know where I can find everyone in the post-game? Where Is My Wife And My Precious Child Wyatt

In regards to spoilers

I absolutely don't see a third game without BJ as the main character, that's not something I would want and I doubt many other fans would want that either. I mean there's still Nazis to be killed and the place for him to go is to fight Hitler in a mech suit :) Until that happens I won't be satisfied. Now I'd be fine if they completed the trilogy and then did another Wolfenstein game as someone else as but BJ, for me, absolutely has to be the main character in 3 to finally bring down the Fuhrer once and for all. Plus we're getting those Freedom Chronicles DLC anyway for other perspectives. Or hell do a few different characters perspectives in Wolf 3, I'd be ok with that too, but BJs my boy he needs to be there.