• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Well THAT just happened. It's so over the top fucking insane that it actually works. Machinegames are a bunch of geniuses.

I agree with the people saying there is zero hit feedback. I've died so many times without even realizing my health was that low. People complain about jam being thrown on the screen in some games but this needs something to at least let you know you're about to die. I haven't got time to glance to the bottom of the screen to read some numbers when I'm in a gunfight with multiple nazi's.

Penthouse was a massive NOPE. There's a section later on that almost made me quit for the day. Pushed through it, and the payoff was worth it, but it almost did me in. It felt a bit broken.

I'm 12 hours into it on the second Bring em on difficulty and it feels like I've barely scratched the surface. I hope so.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to play The New Order to get the best experience? Is the story worth it? Or should I just start on this game?

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
Holy crap the first 'mission'...
Protein No, I don't think so; there is a recap at the start. It covers the main story beats but that said, you'll miss out on a lot the stuff that provides depth and texture to W2. If you can play TNO and TOB first, you should.

Last edited:

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Do I need to play The New Order to get the best experience? Is the story worth it? Or should I just start on this game?
Yes the story is absolutely worth it. TNO is an incredible game. This continues on after the events of that so you would get an overall better sense of what's going on. There's a nice catch up video at the beginning of TNC though, if you don't want to play TNO.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Can anyone who's finished the game confirm that no chapter select unlocks? How are you reasonably supposed to do collectibles then. Maybe you have to finish both paths? (Wyatt / Fergus)

CaughtBeing

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I am getting motion sickness playing this game on the PS4 Pro. Is there a way to resolved this? Head bobbing and 60 fps doesn't seems to play well with me.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Gotta agree with the folks wishing the damage indication was a little more clear. I'm enjoying the increased difficulty but it feels like an overcorrection to the "you got shot once, now your screen is 90% red and your heartbeat is super loud" madness that seemed to creep into every game.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
First impressions of the story? Is it well written? Just downloading this now so want to know what I'm getting into.

Good story, way better than TNO IMHO. That said, I find the NPC performances not nearly as good. Frau Engel is badly hamfisted where more flamboyant in the original, not enough Bombate so far, Grace is really irritating. Anya, Set, and Fergus have been saving graces.

The game presents some real hard scenes though. Some of the more heavy-handed political preaching that can occur (mostly overheard conversations, and such) take away from the far more impactful scenes (intro, first meeting Grace, more). Those scenes are the kinda thing I didn't think I would see in a game.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how are you supposed to use the Enigma terminal at the helm section of the uboat. I don't see any way to lower the chair and if I crawl up there I don't see anything I can interact with.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how are you supposed to use the Enigma terminal at the helm section of the uboat. I don't see any way to lower the chair and if I crawl up there I don't see anything I can interact with.
I'd love to know that too. Figured I hadn't gotten to the point of unlocking it yet.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Two things that have helped me immensely and made the gameplay far more enjoyable and fast paced since I've figured them out...

- You can lean while you're jumping/in the air. This really helps you avoid fire and pull off some incredible shots.

- When you're using a melee execution, you can move the person as you're executing them and enemies cannot fire through their corpse. This effectively gives you a human shield for a few seconds.

The game has an insane amount of mechanical depth hidden behind the core gameplay.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried on Death Incarnate but the game pisses me off because of the harder aiming, 50 health, no hit feedback, and I get stuck in geometry more than once. I die a fuckton still. Commanders are mostly found when I killed everyone already, so they're only annoying.

The atmosphere and characters are great, the gameplay just has to click.

Wark

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Pretty psyched for this game after watching a couple teasers and trailers for it! Since I have the next two days off, I'm gonna replay through Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein and then actually finish Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood (played both of them before but never completed either of them) before I jump into this one.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'd love to know that too. Figured I hadn't gotten to the point of unlocking it yet.

I'm not there yet, but from what I understand this only unlocks when you get to the New Orleans mission in the story. I've heard the game notifies you once it's available.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about halfway through but I have to echo some of the complaints on the difficulty and the way it plays into the sandbox:

The hardest difficulty should be the "most" version of the gameplay cycle. Think Halo: on Legendary you have to have your weapon combos down and know exactly how to engage each enemy, especially when there is a mix in the field. But you're still blasting, dodging, and jumping off things like you would be on Easy - you just have to be way better at it. Even the recent COD games on Veteran have this down pretty well.

Poorly-designed difficulty levels just have modifiers - "Let's cut your health by 90%, up the enemies by the same, and call it a day!"

Wolfenstein 2 is a really good game, but on I am Death Incarnate it's just a hiding simulator. Random henchmen have perfect accuracy and you die in a hit or two, so the best way to engage them is to shoot somebody, run into a room with one entrance, and blast them as they come around the corner. The scooting and sliding and all that is useless because you'll die immediately. Combine that with poor hit feedback where you can just drop dead and have no idea why, and it's just a very frustrating experience. It's not about it being hard. Hard games are great. But good ones force you to learn and get better to move on. This just forces you to cheese the system. Very disappointing.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the Main story on Bring em on. Took me 10 hours, I rushed thru some parts cause I just was keep dying and dying. Really like it though!

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Um, so I had to stop playing because otherwise I'm gonna beat the whole game on one sitting but just got to

when Spesh tries to break you out. Now at the trial scene.

Jesus fucking christ.

PBY

Oct 25, 2017
Doom was my favorite game last year, and so far I'm hating this. The story is rad (although, a little tonally all over the place, in a way that I'm not sure is working for me completely). I just beat the penthouse, started on "normal" but fuck that, this game is only fun to me on the lowest difficulty. The flow of the gunplay and the first 3 environments have done absolutely nothing for me. The care taken to craft such a fucked up but very interesting world is lost on me when all of the initial levels feel like generic bombed out corridors or AC vents, that could be out of literally any other random shooter.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom was my favorite game last year, and so far I'm hating this. The story is rad (although, a little tonally all over the place, in a way that I'm not sure is working for me completely). I just beat the penthouse, started on "normal" but fuck that, this game is only fun to me on the lowest difficulty. The flow of the gunplay and the first 3 environments have done absolutely nothing for me. The care taken to craft such a fucked up but very interesting world is lost on me when all of the initial levels feel like generic bombed out corridors or AC vents, that could be out of literally any other random shooter.

I knew it wasn't me. I blazed through TNO on DI, despite some hard parts I had to redo numerous times. But when fully decked out I could slide through nazis and do some fancy shit to them. You're simply too weak to repeat that here. And the level design is rather bad so far, I mostly get stuck if I want to show off and don't really see my opposition on forehand. And fuck those drones with these aiming controls. I didn't have this issue in TNO and I played that on a 42" 1080p. I'm on a 55" 4K now.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm not hating the gameplay but it definitely feels like a step down from TNO and TOB. These giant ass open levels just don't work when they only have a few enemies that hit like a truck. You just have to explore way too much and hope you don't get killed in two shots when you find that last enemy you were looking for. I much preferred the tighter spaces with more enemies that hit for less damage from the previous games. It's fun, yeah, but so far I haven't beat a hard combat scenario and thought "that mas amazing" instead of "I'm glad this shit's over with."

EDIT: To the post below: Come on man, spoiler tag that shit. I haven't gotten there yet.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MachineGames has some great comedy writers.
37a2837d99.png

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Question to the folks here playing on console

Is the game way visually dark for you guys? On PC I'm having to squint to see anything in the distance because it's just so damn dark.

I can't even see BJs gun without standing directly under a light source. Is this intentional?

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have this issue in TNO and I played that on a 42" 1080p. I'm on a 55" 4K now.

Yeah these are definitely issues tied to the way this game is designed and balanced. I've played TNO and TOB to death and got the platinum for each and I never encountered half the issues I've had with this game. This is some fundamental game design type flaws.

It reminds me of the way Uncharted 3 was a mechanical downgrade from 2 when it was first released :(

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
First impressions of the story? Is it well written? Just downloading this now so want to know what I'm getting into.

It's awesome. Better than the first IMO and the first one's story blew me away.

The cutscene with his father was great. Some really great stuff that they're doing here. Then moments later he's crying in his mother's lap, breaking down and saying how weak he is. This is the kind of stuff we wouldn't have seen a decade ago and it's really powerful to see your lead badass turning to his mother for strength like a small child.

I sometimes get the vibe that this game is a survival "horror" rather than an FPS. The tone and narrative remind me of the gut punches the Last of Us provided.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally I got the shotgun, now the game is more fun. I'd say is lacks a bit of "feedback" it feels like your shooting pellets. But still quite cool.

Also, why I can't use the steam overlay? Is not avaliable in this game or something?

Hobohodo

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see that it wasn't just me having issues with knowing when I was getting hit. Apart from that, can't say their had been a dull moment so far!

PBY

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not hating the gameplay but it definitely feels like a step down from TNO and TOB. These giant ass open levels just don't work when they only have a few enemies that hit like a truck. You just have to explore way too much and hope you don't get killed in two shots when you find that last enemy you were looking for. I much preferred the tighter spaces with more enemies that hit for less damage from the previous games. It's fun, yeah, but so far I haven't beat a hard combat scenario and thought "that mas amazing" instead of "I'm glad this shit's over with."

EDIT: To the post below: Come on man, spoiler tag that shit. I haven't gotten there yet.

Yeah, my philosophy with the difficult was to set it now to the lowest, and bump it up when I come across an exceptional encounter. So far, agree - most encounters I just want to get through.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm about halfway through but I have to echo some of the complaints on the difficulty and the way it plays into the sandbox:

The hardest difficulty should be the "most" version of the gameplay cycle. Think Halo: on Legendary you have to have your weapon combos down and know exactly how to engage each enemy, especially when there is a mix in the field. But you're still blasting, dodging, and jumping off things like you would be on Easy - you just have to be way better at it. Even the recent COD games on Veteran have this down pretty well.

Poorly-designed difficulty levels just have modifiers - "Let's cut your health by 90%, up the enemies by the same, and call it a day!"

Wolfenstein 2 is a really good game, but on I am Death Incarnate it's just a hiding simulator. Random henchmen have perfect accuracy and you die in a hit or two, so the best way to engage them is to shoot somebody, run into a room with one entrance, and blast them as they come around the corner. The scooting and sliding and all that is useless because you'll die immediately. Combine that with poor hit feedback where you can just drop dead and have no idea why, and it's just a very frustrating experience. It's not about it being hard. Hard games are great. But good ones force you to learn and get better to move on. This just forces you to cheese the system. Very disappointing.
Bioshock Infinite suffered from this on its highest difficulty too. I remember seeing a video on how hitscan worked in TNO (and if it's not hitscan, it might as well be, because you can't dodge normal bullets), and how that affects the gameplay. I was wondering if it would happen in the sequel too.