• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt that TNO and now II aren't meant to be played using ADS unless there's a scope. It definitely feels mega hard to see guys when you are aiming down sights. Basically everything is iron sights and those are useless. I don't know if there are any penalties to not aiming down the sights, it doesn't feel like there are.
Strangely in this one there's actually a (capped at 25%) damage bonus perk for ADS. Even with this ADS feels like a trap.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I just got past the halfway point o_o 7 hours in, but I'm also poking around a lot and playing on Do or Die (which sadly has actually been harder than I anticipated.)

Oct 27, 2017
I just have to say that this game is so much more cerebral than I thought it was going to be. I'm not that far in, but shit.

The whole scene with BJ's father was really though to sit through, I grew up with a dad like that, and it really hit home.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else getting crashes on PC? The game ran smooth as butter on the highest settings yesterday but it is crashing a few minutes into the game now.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else getting crashes on PC? The game ran smooth as butter on the highest settings yesterday but it is crashing a few minutes into the game now.

I'm having a major problem where my main menu is loading into a black screen when my PC has been rebooted, requiring me to do a safe mode boot of the game, kind of annoying since that resets my graphics settings too

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I used ADS at all in the first game.

I've not played this yet (hurry up postman!), but I imagine I won't use it here either.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
So I just reached mid game and wow.

Goddamn. BJ and his dad. What a brutal scene.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You don't have to shoot the dog. I aimed up and to the right and the father chastised me for being weak and shot the dog, anyway. :(

Oh yeah I did the same.
Honestly if the game forced me to shoot the dog I'm not sure I could continue playing. In my original post I just meant I kept hoping the mother or someone would appear in that scene and overpower the husband to let BJ and the dog escape. Just wishful thinking and wouldn't have fit the tone of the game, but it was just a tough scene for me to witness.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the first forced sequence when you and your comrades are again defenseless, happen differently, how is that?

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it on Bring 'em On, which is what I played TNO and TOB on, and I'm finding this to be harder than those. I don't play many shooters.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have very positive memories of TNO, but I'm not feeling the gameplay in TNC at all. :/ Hard to see enemies, weak hit feedback and most of the combat feels kinda weightless. I'm soldiering through, because everything else is top-notch (crazy story, great characters etc.).

I saw the first forced sequence when you and your comrades are again defenseless, happen differently, how is that?
Different timeline selected at the beginning? Fergueson reacts quite differently from the other guy (forgot his name). :)

I'm really worried this game is damaging my Pro. None of the 30+ Pro enhanced games make my console anywhere near as loud as this one does. It is constantly at a volume that is so loud I need to turn my speakers up higher than I've had to in any game to drown it out.

What is going on with this?
Some scenes are high demanding, fans kicking in similar to Horizon. Is it worse than the open-Horizon-map-and-wait-for-30sec test?

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Game is shaping up big time after the initial 'eh' from me. Though the difficulty spike when defending:
The helicopter evacuation at the top of the State building
Forced me to drop the difficulty level one step. My gaming skills ain't like they used to be :(

Dusky

Oct 25, 2017
Having a lot of fun so far despite experiencing several crashes over the course of about 3 hours of game time now. Just downloaded the hotfix mentioned in OP so this should hopefully alleviate some of the issues.

Game is both brutal and disturbing at times, gunplay has been amped up by ten and I can't get enough of those hatchet kills. That said I'm not feeling some of the cutscenes, they overstay their welcome. I understand its needed to explain some historical events and obviously to progress the story but I felt TNO's were a lot snappier and to the point.

Also, I hope I'm not the only one but I've got lost several times in some of these levels! There doesn't always appear to be an obvious direction and I can spend a couple of minutes looking for an exit...maybe I'm just blind.

Really want these crashes to be fixed soon though, looks like nVidia are putting out a driver next week so that should sort the issues out for many.

EDIT: I know it's still early but any word on sales? (Really want this to exceed expectations)

Sidzed2

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks gorgeous on a base PS4.

The story is fascinating but I'm finding the difficulty and level design slightly suspect.

(Yay this is my first post).

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I have very positive memories of TNO, but I'm not feeling the gameplay in TNC at all. :/ Hard to see enemies, weak hit feedback and most of the combat feels kinda weightless. I'm soldiering through, because everything else is top-notch (crazy story, great characters etc.).

Basically how I feel. As a video game it feels notably weaker than The New Order to me, in play. Not a single memorable encounter or AI fight yet.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I can only tell im getting shot from seeing health numbers go down. And enemies dying don't have any marker either, so really need to pay attention to death animations.

Wolf II has miraculously worse hit feedback on the player than TNO. It's borderline non-existent unless you're attentively watching the numbers.

BobbyPeru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far. The only thing, feeling a bit weird for me, as a german, is the fact that Sigrun's voice acctress is obviously american. The german sounds pretty strange.

for this, Frau Engel does an amazing job!

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really worried this game is damaging my Pro. None of the 30+ Pro enhanced games make my console anywhere near as loud as this one does. It is constantly at a volume that is so loud I need to turn my speakers up higher than I've had to in any game to drown it out.

What is going on with this?
I know it is loud and can be annoying but it is 100% fine for the system to be running fans at full. That is what they are there for! Enjoy the game and don't worry too much about it. If the system isn't turning off from over heating then it is alright.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Love The New Order, but found it gave me motion sickness if I played it for too long in one sitting, which is pretty uncommon for me. I guess it might have been something to do with the POV on PS4.

If anyone here experienced something similar, how does the second game compare? I'm debating whether or not it would be viable for Extra Life. Leaning toward playing it safe, given my history with the franchise, but I really want to dig in soon.

I think Wolf 2 is even worse when it comes to this. They've made the head bobing/sway even more pronounced. I've been trying to find a way to turn it off but it seems there isn't any way.

Oct 27, 2017
I had my suspicions about "the twist", given the way promotional materials had been showing BJ... but, man, getting to see how it plays out made it ten times better than what I had expected. Loving the game so far. I particularly like how much emphasis is being made on the characters and their development.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically how I feel. As a video game it feels notably weaker than The New Order to me, in play. Not a single memorable encounter or AI fight yet.

Its an actively bad first person shooter, I think I can just say that outright. Doesn't help that this comes out the same week I've been playing Destiny 2 on PC, which gets so many things right that this game fails at. The visual/audio feedback for you being shot is maybe the worst I've ever seen in a FPS game, your health/armor will disappear before you even realize it, enemies arent distinctive from the background and hard to keep track of, the sound mix for footsteps and gunshots is horrendous, you're constantly running around mashing the E button to pick-up ammo/health/armor cuz it just keeps get deleted by random hitscan enemies from God knows where, and every fight seems over before it even begins.

Points for ambition in its storytelling and authentic attention to detail for the world, but as an action game? Its terrible, I'm afraid.

Oct 27, 2017
In TNO I felt as though I had my head to the ground, constantly searching every nook for gear. This ended up being a major flaw in an otherwise superbly paced game. Have they improved this aspect at all?

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In TNO I felt as though I had my head to the ground, constantly searching every nook for gear. This ended up being a major flaw in an otherwise superbly paced game. Have they improved this aspect at all?

Your health gets deleted so fast, and without much in the way of notification towards the player until you look down and see you're at 20 health again, that you will spend a not-insignificant amount of time mashing the E button to pick up as much ammo/health/armor as possible to push through the next encounter's collection of haphazardly sound mixed hitscan bullets, patrol routes, questionable death markers, and enemies that seem to come from nowhere because the bad sound design and non-existent visual juxtaposition between them and the level they're standing in.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had my suspicions about "the twist", given the way promotional materials had been showing BJ... but, man, getting to see how it plays out made it ten times better than what I had expected. Loving the game so far. I particularly like how much emphasis is being made on the characters and their development.
Same. Holy shit. I am in the midst of it right now and
I am dying laughing. Holy shit this whole segment is bizarre and hilarious.
BIG MID GAME SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK IF YOU AREN'T CONFIDENT YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Wakey wakey jarhead, which random gadget do you best prefer the look of?

Appollowexx

Oct 27, 2017
I've only had the chance to play around 3hrs worth so far but man that opening was something special. The way the team mixed heavy emotional tones with adrenalin pumping action and some unexpected story turns was masterful. I feel Machine Games have always been really great at this with many of them having a hand in games such as Riddick and The Darkness but TNC really takes it to another level. Also nice to see bigger play areas and weapon mods coming into play after the fairly linear opening hour. Looking forward to diving back in today. (Side note - difficulty seems much higher than TNO).

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wolf II has miraculously worse hit feedback on the player than TNO. It's borderline non-existent unless you're attentively watching the numbers.

Yeah that is probably my biggest complaint. The hardest setting is really quite insane, honestly - never had a problem with Uber in TNO but this is like "COD4 Veteran" levels of insta-death.

The hit feedback is an issue - virtually impossible to tell you're taking damage.

Also, another strange complaint I have is that the levels are often too "contrasty" - as in, some brilliant light source is nearly blinding me all the time and it becomes very challenging to spot enemies. I'm early in the game, though, so it might clear up later.

Still awesome so far either way.

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the hit feedback. Every time I die I'm always pretty shocked. I've been playing on K&M though, so maybe it's better on a controller with rumble?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer the hit feedback here to something like COD where the screen fills with jam and shit, but a middle ground would be preferable, so it's a bit more obvious when you're near death. Other than that though, game's been a blast so far.

Appollowexx

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the hit feedback. Every time I die I'm always pretty shocked. I've been playing on K&M though, so maybe it's better on a controller with rumble?

Totally. I'm at a section where enemies are rushing me in a fairly small environment and I have no way to really tell when my health is low other than to keep checking, which isn't ideal in such a hectic, fast-paced skermish. My only major complaint so far.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Fully agree with the complains about worthless damage indicators, poor sound mixing and the insane difficulty (though the last one's probably only me). Cannot tell when I get damaged, enemy fire is barely audible because of the horrendous mix and on "Do Or Die!" I constantly get killed and do like 5 re-do's before I decided to lower the difficulty one step.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far. The only thing, feeling a bit weird for me, as a german, is the fact that Sigrun's voice acctress is obviously american. The german sounds pretty strange.

for this, Frau Engel does an amazing job!
"Obviously american".
Well, the German voice actress is the wonderful Lara Trautmann aka Lara Loft from Rocket Beans TV. I think her voice sounds German enough. xD

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Its an actively bad first person shooter, I think I can just say that outright. Doesn't help that this comes out the same week I've been playing Destiny 2 on PC, which gets so many things right that this game fails at. The visual/audio feedback for you being shot is maybe the worst I've ever seen in a FPS game, your health/armor will disappear before you even realize it, enemies arent distinctive from the background and hard to keep track of, the sound mix for footsteps and gunshots is horrendous, you're constantly running around mashing the E button to pick-up ammo/health/armor cuz it just keeps get deleted by random hitscan enemies from God knows where, and every fight seems over before it even begins.

Points for ambition in its storytelling and authentic attention to detail for the world, but as an action game? Its terrible, I'm afraid.

Fuuuuck. I already had some of those problems with TNO so to hear this one magnified those issues AND is harder? Not what I want to hear, friend.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Shooting range is a lot of fun, current best is 485, hope I can break 500.
Kill house is just fucking insane, not matter how hard I try I just can't beat the top guy (23 sec), the fastest I can do is 36 sec.

Last edited:

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these gameplay criticisms would be critical to my enjoyment of the game no matter how good the setting is. Kind of glad I waited for now.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer the hit feedback here to something like COD where the screen fills with jam and shit, but a middle ground would be preferable, so it's a bit more obvious when you're near death. Other than that though, game's been a blast so far.

I dont want jelly either, but those red markers and pain sounds or something to indicate incoming damage :D

Playing on Terrorbilly difficulty.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shooting range is a lot of fun, current best is 485, hope I can break 500.
Kill house is just fucking insane, not matter how hard I try I just can't beat the top guy (23 sec), the fastest I can do is 36 sec.
The 'top guy' is literally Set's catmonkey. There's probably a little cheating going on there. Amusingly, said catmonkey also has the worst score on the firing range at 5. The achievement for the Killhouse isn't to get first though, just second. I don't think you're supposed to beat it.
I dont want jelly either, but those red markers and pain sounds or something to indicate incoming damage :D

Playing on Terrorbilly difficulty.
Yup. I Am Death Incarnate and on the more stressful portions I am dead before I even realize I've been hit. The only hit reactions so far as I can tell are that the HUD elements get an instant of red chromatic aberration.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those games where the gameplay flaws cannot undo what the story is trying to tell me.

I've died a lot due to poor hit detection, which caused me to scale the difficulty down, so I can't determine whether the game is "hard" or me not knowing when I'm getting shot makes it seem harder.

It's caused the first few levels to go on longer than I would have liked. However, the game has so much good will with me and I'm so invested in the story and the characters that I've got a sea of patience for these "issues" (as they seem to be design decisions and not bugs).

I'm really glad it exists and that I own it, though.