• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I'd prefer the guys at id making the new Doom to work on Quake. I'm playing through Wolfenstein 2 right now and it's just okay. The gameplay is alright, but the tone is all over the place and it just doesn't sit well with me. At one moment it's being deadly serious and the next it's trying to make a joke and it just never blends well.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I just played through Quake for the very first time and absolutely adored it. I've grabbed the two official map packs, Machinegames' 2016 Episode, and Arcane Dimensions. Is there anything else I should take a look at from the community?

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The Strogg stuff never vibed with me like the original did. And of course the original is a far better singleplayer game. I was actually kind of annoyed when the Q4/Enemy Territory era happened and they went back to the Q2 setting.

That's coming from a big fan of Q2's multiplayer. There's something I adored about those physics and weapons.

Nov 4, 2018
I'd much rather have ID themselves tackle making remakes/new Quake games themselves than to have Machine Games do it and potentially fuck it up by adding modern FPS mechanics to the game like ADS.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the modern Wolf games.
But honestly, Ranger doesn't need to be having melodramatic inner monologues. He needs to be firing rockets at his feet to send himself into the stratosphere

Oct 25, 2017
Dusk gave me almost everything I'd want out of a Quake refresh. I'd be down if iD gave it the Doom treatment, but taking care to ignore Quake II and onwards, and going for a more sinister tone, rather than the sort of comic exaggeration they've imbued the Doom series with.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say let them take a crack at it . They've proven their FPS skills
In a completely different type of an FPS. Also 1 out of 3 is not much of a success rate.

Frankly, just no.

Dusk gave me almost everything I'd want out of a Quake refresh. I'd be down if iD gave it the Doom treatment, but taking care to ignore Quake II and onwards, and going for a more sinister tone, rather than the sort of comic exaggeration they've imbued the Doom series with.
Pretty much this.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Gustaffson might be able to do the cosmic horror aspects of the original Quake justice. His style of FPS isn't an exact fit, but perhaps his team can adapt to the Quake style.

In a completely different type of an FPS. Also 1 out of 3 is not much of a success rate.

Frankly, just no.
Aw, I thought The Old Blood was pretty good. Let's call it 2 out of 4. Escape from Butcher Bay is also great, and The Darkness was fun.

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
I always thought MachineGames would be ideal for a proper Quake reboot. Big, powerful, loud guns and good level design. That team has proven themselves to be able to do that since Riddick.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
During MachineGames recent reddit AMA, a fan asked if the team would be interested in making a Quake game. Jerk Gustafsson, one of MachineGames' gameplay and design leads, had this to say.

Now this isn't the first time someone at MachineGames has name dropped Quake 1. Three years ago, MachineGames released their own episode of Quake 1 to celebrate the game's 20th anniversary.

Presumably after Wolfenstein III comes out, MachineGames will be done with the franchise. Perhaps they'll take a stab at a proper Quake 1 style singleplayer game afterwards? Time will tell but personally I'd very much like to see a AAA Lovecraftian horror shooter with today's advancements in visual and graphic design. Imagine if the even got Trent Reznor back to do the soundtrack. What are your thoughts?

I mean, he himself made a fantastic episode for Quake 1.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
After TNC... no thanks.

These guys also seem to like to ignore the multiplayer legacy these games have, first with Wolfenstein (RtCW and ET being two of the greatest mp shooters of all time) and I'd expect a Quake they made to be heavily single player story focused with no multi at all.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
while I like Wolfenstein and what machine games has done, i'd rather see Quake 1 in the hands of ID Software themselves, I think Hugo Martin could do great things with Quake 1 lore and world

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think I want them touching anything else after wolf 2. The gameplay and level design in the game is just some of the worst ever. Went back and play wolf 1, aged poorly also. Whoever that did rtcw, they deserve a shot at a new quake.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so fucking torn on Machine Games. On one hand, The New Order is a brilliant reimagining of Wolfenstein and in all honesty probably one of my all time favourite single player shooters. The Old Blood is great too. On the other hand, The New Colossus is utter tripe and one of the most disappointing sequels I've ever played. The core gunplay and encounter design in particular, which obviously be integral to a Quake game, is awful. So...I don't know.

I want to have faith that whatever Machine Games pull next is a return to form, so I guess I'll wait and see.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Quake 2 is still amazing (and got the RTX update very recently) while Quake, wich i replayed about 6 months ago has not aged as well, imho, despite not much time between the two games.

Art and setting are amazing but it would definitely benefit from a remake/reimagining, just don't make it a linear/boxed arena shooter and go ham with the chtulian/eldritch horror vibe.

... Can't deny i much prefer the Strogg scifi setting (even loved Quake Wars despite it being objectively subpar if not shit... I REQUIRE STROYANT!) but Quake 1 deserves to go back in the spotlight, bring it on!

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quake 2 is still amazing (and got the RTX update very recently) while Quake, wich i replayed about 6 months ago has not aged as well, imho, despite not much time between the two games.

Art and setting are amazing but it would definitely benefit from a remake/reimagining, just don't make it a linear/boxed arena shooter and go ham with the chtulian/eldritch horror vibe.

... Can't deny i much prefer the Strogg scifi setting (even loved Quake Wars despite it being objectively subpar if not shit... I REQUIRE STROYANT!) but Quake 1 deserves to go back in the spotlight, bring it on!