• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all ain't kiddin about that act 1 boss. I blundered into that with a mish-mash of skills I was experimenting with and got obliterated. Got him on my second run but still got instagibbed once in phase 3 lol

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
How does Gate of Fates work ?

Is it tied to level cap ? IE : you get only as much point as levels ?

Does the points get reset when you respect ?

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
thats my build lol. Well I havent used bullwark, I take it youre using the modifier for dmg?
Yes, to proc ailment passively and it helps with healing yourself and minions, also great tool to destroy chests, barrels etc

I also got this recently, so i will be speccing for freeze on attacks and spells + other alignment on different spells and attacks to have 70+% of critical chance for my ailments
l0KvNFO.png

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
holy shit, I just noticed the transmog system is PERMANENT, you are transmogging your... character, not your gear.

Meaning if you replace any piece you still look the same (until you go and change it again of course). Best transmog system ever maybe?

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I now have about 30hrs in the game, am well into the endgame, and I'm starting to see the cracks. I don't think it's controversial to say that the game was definitely rushed, but to be honest it's not just rushed, but unfinished too. Not to spoil anything, but the story literally just stops at the climax, and then throws you into the endgame mode.

When you finish the story you will be around level 40, which means you still potentially have 50 more level ups. This isn't typical and I get the feeling that the story was meant to be much longer. The skill tree really doesn't have enough variety to make proper use of all your skill points past level ~60 anyway.

Another problem is the loot. You spend the entire game seeing the same affixes on gear because the affix pool is tiny and uninspired for the most part. This won't be enough to keep me playing for a long time.

The endgame doesn't really have a continuation to the story, so it's just there to offer you a reason to play some more. It's.... mediocre? It's not terrible but it feels like they slapped it together at the last minute. I'm pretty sure the random maps aren't randomly generated at all and just reuse the same levels from the story.

On top of all those issues, the game is buggy. It fails you when you need it to work most. There are some very simple fixes to alleviate this like letting you unbind the auto-attack or have a "move only" option. This would help a lot in moments where you're surrounded or those all too common moments where you wonder why you're not able to move (though I feel like there is something else going on here, sometimes your character gets bugged/stuck and you can't move or attack at all).

Even with all these problems, the story portion of the game is great in my opinion and I think with enough time the game will improve significantly. However I fear some of the decisions they've taken with how gear, skills and the skill tree work. While there is some variety, they've kind of dug a hole that will make it more difficult to provide more playstyle options in the future. I suppose time will tell.
I'm still in act 2 but I can already see all of this coming. Gear affixes are really uninspired so far and It doesn't look like the passive tree really has that much more to offer me. The game seems somewhat lacking in real depth. I'll still be happy if I can have 30+ fun hours with it, but the game feels really good and has the potential to be better/deeper. I hope they get there some day.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I tried around 15 times and no luck. Even tried different servers and restarted the game.
From their discord:
"Online servers are progressively being reactivated. All characters have been restored to a version prior to the latest hotfix.

Hotfix 1.0.3.0 has also been deployed to resolve Magic Find issues. More hotfixes are planned later this week and we continue to monitor the server stability.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Game creations will be progressively unlocked. This is a safety measure to avoid everybody joining the servers at once. Only the Magic Find issue was resolved in the latest hotfix. The other similar issues will be resolved later this week. "

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
It worked at try 21. Hurray.

Edit: Game froze, had to restart it and now it doesn't connect to online mode anymore. Authentication failed

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If, in the future, you buy a game that doesn't feel complete you should absolutely factor that into any review you make for that game. Review the product you have, not the one you wish you had. If they fix it later, update your review, or don't. The devs aren't entitled to a "record correction" after their mistakes have been ironed out.

I absolutely agree people are entitled to a refund and to leave a review based on the current state of the game (I did both myself). However the bolded part is complete bollocks. If your negative review is because of server issues then once those server issues are resolved your review is no longer factual. It should absolutely be updated, not for the devs but for other customers. Leaving a purposefully misleading review up to "punish" the devs is a masturbatory indulgence of your own ego.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Act 3! I really hope Wolcen does financially well so that they can add more Acts down the road. I primarily went Child of Fury spec and then branched out afterwards. As far as abilities go I mainly used Bladestorm, Bleeding Edge and Flight of Gaavanir. I definitely think I got lucky because I found a legendary two hand sword (Blessed Zweihander) that lasted all of act 2 and then a unique two hand axe (Edgy) in Act 3 which doubled the amount damage I was doing. This basically trivialized everything in Act 3 since I was doing over 20k in crits with Bleeding Edge and around 12-13k with Bladestorm.

I really like the combat in this game, very much reminiscent of Diablo 3. Loot system seemed good and on multiple instances I had to stop, think and decide between choosing pieces of gear. Story was decent enough to make me want to see whats going to happen next. I haven't done the end game grind yet so I can't speak on it.

The game is not without its bugs unfortunately, I encountered several on my play through. Some off the top of my head:
  • Auto Dash cooldown not refreshing therefore not being able to use it.
  • In one occasion the Audio of Bladestorm kept playing after I stopped using the ability and it wouldn't go away until I exited.
  • After leaving a dungeon character body rotates around in circles
  • Not sure if a bug or design decision but you can't hover over items in your inventory until you click in it to make it "active", very odd.
Nothing game breaking. I'm hopeful that most of these issues will get ironed out in coming weeks and months.

Overall I would definitely recommend it to someone whose interested in the genre.

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit, I just noticed the transmog system is PERMANENT, you are transmogging your... character, not your gear.

Meaning if you replace any piece you still look the same (until you go and change it again of course). Best transmog system ever maybe?

That's how ESO does it and I think a few other games. Definitely better than locking it to specific equipped items like WoW.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Some folks on the Reddit for Wolcen baffle me.

Honest question here. If you refunded the game and got your money back. What is the point in continuing to complain about the games issues after the fact you no longer have a loss incurred.

Why do people expect to receive more than what they paid for after they got their money back?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most inconvenient bugs I've encountered are weird pathfinding issues. Like invisible walls and being only able to walk on some parts of terrain, seems re-zoning fixes that but I'd rather not. And small Bat-like enemies being unable to be targeted without some sort of area-of-effect skill. Those are the two major gripes I've encountered. If Magic Find was fixed, I expect the Gem money glitch to fixed soon too.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Honest question here. If you refunded the game and got your money back. What is the point in continuing to complain about the games issues after the fact you no longer have a loss incurred.

Why do people expect to receive more than what they paid for after they got their money back?
Gaming communities are cesspools and should be avoided at all costs

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

impotent gamer rage

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh my god KKRT bullwark tho, holy shit.

I need that 5th skill slot bad now, so I can bullwark+plague+anomaly. I have to drop one of them atm QQ

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Act 1 boss is a nice chunk of bullshit isn't it ? Immune to ailment and dots so fuck all mages. Random OHKO everywhere. Reflect your shit...

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
The most inconvenient bugs I've encountered are weird pathfinding issues. Like invisible walls and being only able to walk on some parts of terrain, seems re-zoning fixes that but I'd rather not. And small Bat-like enemies being unable to be targeted without some sort of area-of-effect skill. Those are the two major gripes I've encountered. If Magic Find was fixed, I expect the Gem money glitch to fixed soon too.

Yup, I've encountered this one too. Really annoying

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I absolutely agree people are entitled to a refund and to leave a review based on the current state of the game (I did both myself). However the bolded part is complete bollocks. If your negative review is because of server issues then once those server issues are resolved your review is no longer factual. It should absolutely be updated, not for the devs but for other customers. Leaving a purposefully misleading review up to "punish" the devs is a masturbatory indulgence of your own ego.
All I was saying is that it's not anyone's responsibility to "correct" an old review, especially if they've dropped the game.

Steam has "recent reviews" for a reason. Leaving and old review that was accurate when it was written isn't "punishing" a Dev. Assigning malice to not updating an accurate review is ridiculous.

It would be better if people who kept playing updated their reviews, sure, but it's not their responsibility to do so.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I was saying is that it's not anyone's responsibility to "correct" an old review, especially if they've dropped the game.

Steam has "recent reviews" for a reason. Leaving and old review that was accurate when it was written isn't "punishing" a Dev. Assigning malice to not updating an accurate review is ridiculous.

It would be better if people who kept playing updated their reviews, sure, but it's not their responsibility to do so.

I disagree I think it absolutely is their responsibility to do so. "Historical" reviews serve no purpose. They are consumer reviews not academic ones, they're there to help inform the consumer. I also didnt "sssign malice to not updating a review" I simply said that if the reason you havent updated your review is to punish the devs you're a bellend. If the reason you didnt update it is because you couldnt be arsed or stopped playing thats obviously fine but not ideal.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Assuming that anyone would not update a review to "punish" the devs is absolutely assigning malice to leaving an honest review. Most people who won't change their reviews will do so because it's not worth their time (because they've moved on). Which is fine.

Monster Hunter had this "problem" as well, and they earned it. After a while, when they got their shit together, the game's reviews were more positive. I'm sure the same will happen for Wolcen.

I'll wait to leave a review until I actually get to play it, but I'm not gonna pretend the last few days haven't been disappointing. "Mixed" is a very accurate score for the game in its current state. Hopefully they turn it around soon, my friends and I are looking forward to playing it.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Still losing the items I put into my personal chest when playing online. I had a couple of gems and a few dyes and I lost them. Not to mention having to re-unlock it... 100 gold is nothing but after 10 times it adds up...

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that anyone would not update a review to "punish" the devs is absolutely assigning malice to leaving an honest review. Most people who won't change their reviews will do so because it's not worth their time (because they've moved on). Which is fine.

Maybe you should go and have a look at the discord, the subreddit and the reviews. It's not an "assumption." There are people saying they have refunded the game but they wont update the review because the devs deserve it for wasting their time and it'll "teach them a lesson". Again, because apparently literally saying it twice didnt get it through to you, IF SOMEONE LEAVES A NEGATIVE REVIEW TO PUNISH THE DEVS then they are being dickheads. If they leave an unupdated negative review thats cool, but useless. You don't seem to be getting the obvious distinction here, I'm not "assigning malice" I'm saying that things openly done with malice - specifically spelled out by the people doing it - are bullshit.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Really hard to connect to the online. I've been trying with a friend it takes many retries for it to work.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
There are some folks that will purchase a game just have the appearance of playing the game only for the sole intent to leave a negative review followed by requesting of a refund. Those reviews that show 5 minutes of playtime are incredibly suspect for example. Hell 5 minutes in this game won't get you beyond the basic introductory stages or cutscenes before the actual gameplay content of a game begins. Nevermind character creation.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Okay finished campaign and started end. This board game part seems rather long and in involved. Anyone else started it?

yes. Prices for things seem way too high, or rather they are prices for a game that I know they want to last months and months, bless their heart, but theres not enough content for that (and I lvoe the game).

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
Anyone playing offline and having crashing issues. I've had 3 freezes to crashes. Super annoying with the terrible checkpoint system.