• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Victim Blaming Rhetoric
Obviously Russias laws are absurd but with how strict Russia is, and how damaged the US relationship is with them, probably wasn't the best idea for her to have cannabis oil in her possession.

And no its not a great idea to exchange her for a gun smuggler or some murderer that has a lifetime sentence but hopefully the US can find a way to get her out.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Russias laws are absurd but with how strict Russia is, and how damaged the US relationship is with them, probably wasn't the best idea for her to have cannabis oil in her possession.
She was only ever a pawn in this situation. Regardless of the legality of what was in her possession. Russia tends to do what they want, when they want in terms of "Justice."

And no its not a great idea to exchange her for a gun smuggler or some murderer that has a lifetime sentence but hopefully the US can find a way to get her out.
Hate to say it, but absolutely agree. If Russia wants it, it's probably bad for everyone else.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Russia has already told the U.S. to stop talking about the negotiating to the public last week. It's all behind closed doors and hopefully soon we get an update that she suddenly got back home.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
She was only ever a pawn in this situation. Regardless of the legality of what was in her possession. Russia tends to do what they want, when they want in terms of "Justice."

Hate to say it, but absolutely agree. If Russia wants it, it's probably bad for everyone else.

And event more unfortunate is that Russia was going to make damn sure they made an example out if her. She was doomed from day 1.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Shitty take. This happened before the war and she's just a political pawn, don't victim blame.

Also, whatever happened to "better let the guilty run free than the innocent suffer"?

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
All the more fucked up considering she played six seasons there and won titles for her club. Blatantly political and just a shit situation all around all over .7 grams.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
She told her side of the story. That isn't the problem. The vape cartridges weren't planted.

The sentencing is what's complete bullshit here. It should've been a fine and time served, done (AND EVEN THEN she served way too much time by Russian law). The sentencing is way out of line with what she was caught for and complete bullshit / proves she's being used as a political prisoner. That and the people Russia are requesting in return is also not nearly what one would consider equivalent.

It sucks / Russia's government is evil.
She told "her side of the story" with a figurative gun to her head. The country that is holding her hostage let her speak to the media just like they let her plead guilty. I'm not necessarily saying that the cartridges were planted, but that doesn't mean we have the full truth either. For example, Russian laws don't apply to the rich. Maybe they were openly okay with her having the cartridges for the last 8 years but it's suddenly not okay because Putin is going after Ukraine.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
seeing anyone on social media blame biden when they've offered up a scumbag arms dealer as a trade is absolutely ridiculous.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
She told "her side of the story" with a figurative gun to her head. The country that is holding her hostage let her speak to the media just like they let her plead guilty. I'm not necessarily saying that the cartridges were planted, but that doesn't mean we have the full truth either. For example, Russian laws don't apply to the rich. Maybe they were openly okay with her having the cartridges for the last 8 years but it's suddenly not okay because Putin is going after Ukraine.
Focus on what's provable / no one's arguing about. Literally no one is saying they were planted, even our side. Focus on the obvious bullshit that shows she's a political prisoner (the sentencing), not stuff that makes it look like you're grasping at straws.

For what it's worth, I think it's bullshit and she should be on her way home, but implying that the stuff must have been planted when there doesn't even seem to be people on our side claiming it actually hurts the argument and allows chuds to point at your argument and say it's not trustworthy / worth considering.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Shitty take. This happened before the war and she's just a political pawn, don't victim blame.

Also, whatever happened to "better let the guilty run free than the innocent suffer"?

It didn't help that the Russia and United States relationship crumbled shortly after she was arrested.

I'm not even going to address the victim blaming comment because it will likely get me in trouble. I will say this: the sentence is completely absurd and she should have been home months ago. Problem is this happened in a country that is notoriously strict with drugs.

I stand by my comment when I said you don't release some murdering psychopath or two for her release especially how Russia is acting these days.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Needs be reminded that Brittney has a whole ass wife waiting for her at home. Sending up prayers for her entire family. Hopefully the US can negotiate her safe return home.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe anything Russia says on this whatsoever, even given the fact there is zero justification for this even if true.
"Okay, give us the spy first and we'll give you the woman."

*gives the spy*

"Okay, we're keeping the girl and now we need you to give us two more people."

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Random question: Grinders preferred pronoun is she right?

The hell is with the comments on Social Media referring to "him" and how "he" broke the law?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
If this guy is capable of facilitating or orchestrating the deaths of tons of people, I don't know if I would be able to make that exchange, I would have nightmares about it either way for probably years. You let him go, a lot of innocent people could die so one person can go free, you don't and she ends up tortured and starved half to death in a Russian prison (wishing for death just for it all to stop) for years.

I hope she makes it home soon and safe. This is fucked up and the shit Russia is doing, I don't believe in god but I'm going to pray for the kremlin to suffer for what they've done for the rest of my life. I want to live long enough to see them burned to the ground as an institution some day.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This is infuriating.

"smuggling of drugs"ā€¦She had a vape pen.

The real motivation behind this is so fucking naked.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck Russia. Clearly, Putin is involved here, and these puppet judges doing his bidding.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What does Russia want for her? I assume some spies back or some shit? I imagine she's going to do that time. šŸ„ŗ
They're punishing the US during a war, basically. That's it, really. She's a political prisoner. Even Russian legal experts said the verdict was excessive. It would've been a few days in jail and deportation at normal times at most.

But she's high profile, and Putin is a sick man.

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
She did something dumb but nothing that was worth this sentence (or really any at all). Got caught up in political BS.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
9 years in a Russian prison for a vape cartridge with cannabis oilā€¦jesus christ

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The moment the war on drugs backfires huh

Pure geopolitical fuckery fucking random people

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
It is BS like this for the reason the State Dept and other Western countries want their citizens out. It wouldn't take much for Putin to have the FSB to start planting evidence on foreign nationals just to up the "pressure." Extremely dangerous to be in that country right now and I'm hoping there is an exchange at some point for her sake.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It really makes me wonder how many political prisoners there are in Russian prisons. How many don't get the window treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.