• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely sure this will help attract tourists from Western Europe/The U.S in future, but I'm sure this "win" (in Russia's eyes) will totally negate everything else going on long-term for Russia, especially its economy.

I feel bad for the lady, hopefully there will be some way to get her back safely.

cloudy

Nov 10, 2017
This sucks but it's what I expected when her supporters started elevating this case in the media instead of letting the diplomats work it out. Hope she can be released soon.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
You know how if North Korea did this, we wouldn't believe anything they said? Russia may have less credibility than North Korea at this point. Griner has played in Russia during the WNBA off-season for almost 10 years. This is so obviously politically motivated, it's basically comic-book villain stuff. This is the US equivalent to "we can't give you more gas because our turbine is broken." It doesn't really matter what you do; they aren't negotiating in good faith. They just hope enough people believe that it's actually Griner's fault even though if you're paying attention, they don't actually let her tell her side of the story.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Russia Makes a prisoner change offer so ridicilous, that they knew the US would say no, and then try to pin it on the US. Its same old Russia BS. They want an assassin that killed someone on German Soil. Its unfortunate and horrible for Brittney that she is being held as a Pawn by Putin.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
Trumped up charges to try and force a better deal, typical. They just fucked their travel industry even more, who's crazy enough to go there after this?

Also goddamnit, 10 years working in this country and she still got caught lacking

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Xenophobic Rhetoric; Prior Ban for Similar Generalization
Russia doing everything in its power to remind everyone that they're a degenerate terrorist state. Griner doesn't deserve this, and hopefully no one from a real country will ever consider visiting this cesspool of drunken predatory garbagemen again.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Trumped up charges to try and force a better deal, typical. They just fucked their travel industry even more, who's crazy enough to go there after this?

Also goddamnit, 10 years working in this country and she still got caught lacking

I wish Russia could get its act together. It's a massive, beautiful country that people would love to visit (myself included), but that isn't happening anytime soon.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Even before their Invasion of Ukraine, stuff like this is why I would never feel safe traveling in Russia for work or vacation.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
That's despicable. I would be consumed with rage knowing I was going to spend years in prison for political bullshit.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe anything Russia says on this whatsoever, even given the fact there is zero justification for this even if true.

Russia must be completely isolated. Fucking pariah state fuckers.

Crimes of possession scare me. They don't have to prove an act or behaviour. They don't have to prove damage or have a victim. All they have to say is they found it on you. No one is safe from that. What's more, the punishment is usually disconnected from sense and utterly disproportionate because "drugs". It's the ultimate method of state oppression and control.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe anything Russia says on this whatsoever, even given the fact there is zero justification for this even if true.

Russia must be completely isolated. Fucking pariah state fuckers.

Crimes of possession scare me. They don't have to prove an act or behaviour. They don't have to prove damage or have a victim. All they have to say is they found it on you. No one is safe from that. What's more, the punishment is usually disconnected from sense and utterly disproportionate because "drugs". It's the ultimate method of state oppression and control.
Pretty obvious this is a trumped up charged with orders right from Putin's brass.

I remember reading that this type of charges just gets a deportation usually, but Putin is trying to antagonize the West right now.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
They just hope enough people believe that it's actually Griner's fault even though if you're paying attention, they don't actually let her tell her side of the story.
She told her side of the story. That isn't the problem. The vape cartridges weren't planted.

The sentencing is what's complete bullshit here. It should've been a fine and time served, done (AND EVEN THEN she served way too much time by Russian law). The sentencing is way out of line with what she was caught for and complete bullshit / proves she's being used as a political prisoner. That and the people Russia are requesting in return is also not nearly what one would consider equivalent.

It sucks / Russia's government is evil.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Hope they can get her out

You know how if North Korea did this, we wouldn't believe anything they said? Russia may have less credibility than North Korea at this point. Griner has played in Russia during the WNBA off-season for almost 10 years. This is so obviously politically motivated, it's basically comic-book villain stuff. This is the US equivalent to "we can't give you more gas because our turbine is broken." It doesn't really matter what you do; they aren't negotiating in good faith. They just hope enough people believe that it's actually Griner's fault even though if you're paying attention, they don't actually let her tell her side of the story.

This was one of the bigger surprises to me in this story when i found out. Like this is clearly some bullshit and its disgusting they turned her into a political pawn

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Terrible situation. Hopefully the government can get a deal done to get her out, but the price is probably just going to keep going up as long as the US keeps providing weapons to Ukraine.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Terrible situation. Hopefully the government can get a deal done to get her out, but the price is probably just going to keep going up as long as the US keeps providing weapons to Ukraine.

That's another reason why the US can't give Russia money for her release. Russia would use that money to fund more artillery in their war against Ukraine

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a current number of foreigners convicted and currently jailed in Russia for possession of THC (or any drug possession I guess)?

I'm always curious about numbers like that. How often does this happen and how harsh are the punishments on average. I know China executes drug dealers and traffickers on the regular, but I have no knowledge of how Russia does things.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a current number of foreigners convicted and currently jailed in Russia for possession of THC (or any drug possession I guess)?

I'm always curious about numbers like that. How often does this happen and how harsh are the punishments on average. I know China executes drug dealers and traffickers on the regular, but I have no knowledge of how Russia does things.
there is at least one more from last year, even more severe sentence and it seems like everyone forgot about him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/07/28/marc-fogel-teacher-russia-prison/

got 14 years; is not even mentioned in the prisoner exchange.

MrBigBy

Banned
Aug 8, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
Hey man, she knew the laws when she broke them. /s
Maybe next time don't go to foreign country and assume local laws do not apply to you because you're an American.
Fuck Russia but the amount of people in this thread that defend her purely because she's a woman/poc is weird.
If she did that in Singapore or Malaysia, she would have gotten more than just jail time or possibly a noose.
One cannot plead ignorance when certain countries have very strict drug laws.

I wonder if people that defend her so hard in this thread are so sympathetic towards foreigners that break laws in Us and go to jail because they didn't know the local law.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
No fame hurt this guy. Hopefully more and more people mention him so he is included in the exchange.
Pretty much, but fame will only nudge the needle. The US will most likely stamp their feet, say Russia is bad, and then move on if the deal does not work. They never cared she was in prison in the first place.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe next time don't go to foreign country and assume local laws do not apply to you because you're an American.
Fuck Russia but the amount of people in this thread that defend her purely because she's a woman/poc is weird.
If she did that in Singapore or Malaysia, she would have gotten more than just jail time or possibly a noose.

I wonder if people that defend her so hard in this thread are so sympathetic towards foreigners that break laws in Us and go to jail because they didn't know the local law.
This is the same country where gay propaganda is illegal but beating your wife is not. Fuck their laws.

Also, this is your 5th post ever on Era. And you're going hard on people defending others "purely for being a woman/poc." Tell us how you really feel.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

The situation is considerably more complicated by the war in Ukraine. This situation is now highly political and has become much more serious than just some random idiot smuggling and using drugs in Russia. I don't think I've seen anyone defending her poor decision. Instead, the conversation is more about how her situation is being used as political theater.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The US? Who is 'the US'? Who is 'they'? The administration? The public?
I think it is very obvious in this context especially with regards me mentioning a deal that I am speaking about the US government. I could possibly be more specific too, but it is easier to say the government or the US in this context. I don't think the US people have the ability to negotiate this deal like collective bargaining.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
I have a feeling she's going to be there quite a while longer. Russia is going to drag this out as long as possible.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
I think it is very obvious in this context especially with regards me mentioning a deal that I am speaking about the US government. I could possibly be more specific too, but it is easier to say the government or the US in this context. I don't think the US people have the ability to negotiate this deal like collective bargaining.

So them offering up individuals that are extremely dangerous and were off limits before this situation doesn't count for anything?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Obvious result. Russia isn't going to just let her go when they're hoping to arrange a trade. And people are rarely acquitted in Russian courts anyway.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So them offering up individuals that are extremely dangerous and were off limits before this situation doesn't count for anything?
It counts for something, but I don't think this deal would be put forward if the attention wasn't there or else there is something in the timeline from her arrest til now that I missed. She wouldn't be the first political prisoner to be left. Like, did the guy in Russia even have this much US support before Griner got arrested and it became a big news story?

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Not Russia but I know a guy that went to jail in Japan just because his phone number and texts were in an arrested weed dealers phone. He's been there for a few years now but not sure what the full story was. Seems excessive even for Japan.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Not Russia but I know a guy that went to jail in Japan just because his phone number and texts were in an arrested weed dealers phone. He's been there for a few years now but not sure what the full story was. Seems excessive even for Japan.
Yeah that's a bit fucked. I'm pretty sure I've got friends who have dealt weed in the past and I don't have any contact with these days but haven't bothered to delete their numbers.

SteveByDesign

Sep 11, 2019
While I definitely want us to do everything within reason to getting her home, exchanging the gun smuggler that Russia wants would be a nogo for me.

It was already confirmed that we were going to make that swap.

Now Russia is also asking for a former colonel in their domestic spy division as well who has life in prison in Germany.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
It counts for something, but I don't think this deal would be put forward if the attention wasn't there or else there is something in the timeline from her arrest til now that I missed. She wouldn't be the first political prisoner to be left. Like, did the guy in Russia even have this much US support before Griner got arrested and it became a big news story?

There are many steps and actions that happen in the background when it comes to rescuing political prisoners. The public and often times the families are not even made aware of it.

The US is a shit country, no doubt but this is one area that I won't be too critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.