• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
She has been detained by Russian authorities for nearly 140 days after being caught with vape cartridges containing hashish oil in her luggage at the Sheremetyevo airport.

www.cnn.com

'I'm terrified I might be here forever': Brittney Griner pens handwritten letter to Biden

WNBA star Brittney Griner, in a handwritten letter to President Joe Biden, said she fears she will be detained in Russia indefinitely and pleaded with the President not to forget about her and other American detainees.

If you want a summary on her arrest and detainment.

www.sportingnews.com

Brittney Griner detainment, explained: Russia releases Phoenix Mercury star in prisoner swap | Sporting News

Griner was detained in February after the Russian Federal Customs Service claimed it found hashish oil in her luggage at an airport near Moscow.

("As) I sit here in a Russian prison, alone with my thoughts and without the protection of my wife, family, friends, Olympic jersey, or any accomplishments, I'm terrified I might be here forever,

On the 4th of July, our family normally honors the service of those who fought for our freedom, including my father who is a Vietnam War Veteran. It hurts thinking about how I usually celebrate this day because freedom means something completely different to me this year,

I realize you are dealing with so much, but please don't forget about me and the other American Detainees. Please do all you can to bring us home. I voted for the first time in 2020 and I voted for you. I believe in you. I still have so much good to do with my freedom that you can help restore. I miss my wife! I miss my family! I miss my teammates! It kills me to know they are suffering so much right now. I am grateful for whatever you can do at this moment to get me home."

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, she's still there? feels like an eternity ago I read that she got detained

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Have Biden and crew even been asked about her since this started? What was their response? Feels like we haven't even heard a boilerplate "we're doing our best".

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Have Biden and crew even been asked about her since this started? What was their response? Feels like we haven't even heard a boilerplate "we're doing our best".
Yes, very recently even.

thehill.com

White House says WNBA star Brittney Griner case has ‘fullest attention of the president’

White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan on Tuesday said that case of WNBA star Brittney Griner, who is detained in Russia, has the full attention of President Biden. “It has the fullest…

The Russian government just sucks. I hope she gets to come home soon.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
This sounds like a nightmare. i can't imagine how complicated this gets politically

they have responded and it's good the story is getting traction again on the news since her trial only just recently started

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
A terrible situation to be in. I'm guessing there is at least a bigger chance she gets out than there is for Paul Whelan.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there allegedly a prisoner swap being demanded by Russia?
And the dude who they wanted was like a convicted arms dealer?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
her name is Brittney Griner, not "wnba player"

Don't both articles op posted mention her name?
Plus I think OP is going for overall context so people would be more interested in looking into the story.

Anyway, I highly doubt she will be freed any time soon. Russia is using her as a political prisoner to get something from the US.

Aug 12, 2019
She's a political prisoner at this point in the same way Otto Warmbier was in North Korea. Hopefully her story has a happier ending than his, but she's a hostage of a geopolitical standoff and neither side will risk looking weak in this situation so she's not going anywhere.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
She's definitely a political prison held on bullshit charges with Russia wanting something in return for her release. If she was guilty they would have convicted her ages ago already, you don't exactly get a lengthy, fair trial in a country like Russia.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Such a terrible situation. Russia will likely demand concessions in order to release her, and I don't see the US being willing to make such concessions for one person.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, she sadly became prisoner just as the Russia/Ukraine shit went down and it's likely she'll be used as a bargaining chip.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
User Banned (1 Week): Victim Blaming
I feel bad for her, honestly, but Russian atrocities are well known & she was taking Russian money to play basketball while we all knew Russia was gonna Invade Ukraine for like 5 months.

The WNBA doesn't pay shit but you gotta be smarter.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Tough situation but we definitely should not be exchanging an arms dealer for someone accused of possessing vapes. It will incentivize more detentions in the future.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I feel bad for her, honestly, but Russian atrocities are well known & she was taking Russian money to play basketball while we all knew Russia was gonna Invade Ukraine for like 5 months.

I think this is a bit harsh: lots of NA players head to Russian leagues for $$$. There's no reason she would have had to expect that she would be used as THE example over any number of other players, or even US citizens in other professional fields entirely.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
when she gets out of there, I hope she gets some form of compensation. I don't care whom it comes from.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017

This is a terrible take. Plenty of American athletes play professionally in other countries including Russia. Not everyone in every profession can tie their career moves to geopolitics and the whims of aggressive nations.

And I'm sure there are foreigners working here in America who have people questioning how they could ever work in a country that illegally detains migrants, strips women of their rights, and do nothing after children are murdered in school shootings like clockwork.

Oct 27, 2017
It's horrible she is still a hostage of war and hope she is brought home soon. I suppose something like a special ops extraction is more fantasy than reality but you'd think with all the technology and intelligence available to the military that something could be done. They are not going to just let her go.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the US ever giving Russia economic concessions over a single prisoner.

Maybe a prisoner swap. But if Russia is intent on demanding an arms dealer in exchange for a basketball player, it's hard to imagine the US agreeing to that trade. I hope some resolution happens and she's allowed to leave Russia soon.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
This is a terrible take. Plenty of American athletes play professionally in other countries including Russia. Not everyone in every profession can tie their career moves to geopolitics and the whims of aggressive nations.

And I'm sure there are foreigners working here in America who have people questioning how they could ever work in a country that illegally detains migrants, strips women of their rights, and do nothing after children are murdered in school shootings like clockwork.
That's fine, but, you have to accept these risks when you talk to an agent & apply for a work visa.

It's not really a bad take at all, it's just the real world.

Update
OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Update:
"Two-time US Olympic basketball gold medalist Brittney Griner has pleaded guilty to drug charges in a Russian court near Moscow, her lawyers confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

Griner, who the US State Department has classified as wrongfully detained, faces up to 10 years in prison under the charge."

www.cnn.com

Brittney Griner pleads guilty to drug charges in Russian court | CNN

Two-time US Olympic basketball gold medalist Brittney Griner has pleaded guilty to drug charges in a Russian court near Moscow, her lawyers confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

Oct 25, 2017
"Two-time US Olympic basketball gold medalist Brittney Griner has pleaded guilty to drug charges in a Russian court near Moscow, her lawyers confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

Griner, who the US State Department has classified as wrongfully detained, faces up to 10 years in prison under the charge."

www.cnn.com

Two-time US Olympic basketball gold medalist Brittney Griner has pleaded guilty to drug charges in a Russian court near Moscow, her lawyers confirmed to CNN on Thursday.
Fuuuuuck this is so stupid

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unless there is a prisoner swap, she is going to do up to 10 years. And the Russians want their literal war criminal as a swap.

It's super unfortunate, but that is not a morally righteous trade.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that this is part of a long game plan to get her out asap. I really hope she doesn't have to face 10 years.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Wow. That's terrible. I can't imagine having to stare a 10 year sentence in the face under such dubious circumstances, especially in a different country than all your family and friends. I hope some sort of resolution presents itself but I'm not holding my breath.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Update:

www.cnn.com

Too add insult to injury Russian diplomats are out there accusing Biden of "formenting hype" around this case, which is complete bullshit.

Fuck Russia

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless there is a prisoner swap, she is going to do up to 10 years. And the Russians want their literal war criminal as a swap.

It's super unfortunate, but that is not a morally righteous trade.

The United States is in no short supply of war criminals they should give away two if it meant getting Griner back

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Update:

www.cnn.com

Fuck why would she do this?? I mean I'm sure she's been working with lawyers and counsel, etc. but damn that's horrible of she gets any serious jail time we should have gotten her out of there by now smdh.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Update:

www.cnn.com

Maybe now that Russia got a guilty plea, maybe a swap will happen.