• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Then bring back the colourful heroes who fight crime and also the world's environmental and ethical issues:

772_medium.jpg

Every movie could just have one of Trump's appointees be the main villain. Once you go through the henchmen, their version of Thanos would be Trump and Bolsonaro.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It will make it. If it falls short by a couple of million that's like a single weekend expansion with a tiny push. There's no scenario Disney let's it get that close and doesn't make it happen.

Does it matter? Disney owns Avatar. I feel like "The Number 1 movie of all time" is important to Avatar 2's marketing anyways.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Does it matter? Disney owns Avatar. I feel like "The Number 1 movie of all time" is important to Avatar 2's marketing anyways.
If Disney feels that Avatar 2 needs Avatar at #1 WW for marketing, they can just do a re-release to vault it past Endgame. The box office back-and-forth would give Avatar even more publicity than it would have gotten if it fought off Endgame initially.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It really isn't. But odds are Avatar gets a rerelease and possibly takes the crown back anyways.

But yeah, I never got underestimating how much more Disney was gonna wanna take the number one spot with Endgame over just inheriting it from Fox.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
If at this point it was still 40-30 million away from the crown, I could see them leaving it be. Now though, within 10 million? No way in hell they don't push it across the finish line by force.

And no, them already owning the #1 highest grossing movie doesn't matter. Again, it's like buying a medal instead of earning it yourself. We already know they care about the record since the directors and the actors all tweeted about it getting the record, as well as promotional material alluding to it.

It's definitely happening, especially since there's several territories that have yet to do the rerelease.

Last edited:

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If at this point it was still 40-30 million away from the crown, I could see them leaving it be. Now though, within 10 million? No way in hell they don't push it across the finish line by force.

And no, them already owning the #1 highest grossing movie doesn't matter. Again, it's like buying a medal instead of earning it yourself. We already know they care about the record since the directors and the actors all tweeted about it getting the record, as well as promotional material alluding to it.

It's definitely happening, especially since there's several markets that have yet to do the rerelease.

Chile, Chile, Chile!

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Had Endgame not been pulled from theaters in China after just three weeks, it would've already passed Avatar. Not getting that extension was some nonsense.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's definitely happening, especially since there's several territories that have yet to do the rerelease.

They'll push it to pass Avatar. Now they don't have to rerelease Avatar because they'll give Cameron the opportunity to take the crown again and he has 3 movies to do it.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow so I just looked at the original avengers' run and it got an over 1,500 screen reexpansion at Labor Day weekend. This resulted in a >2,000% increase in revenue (it made just under 2.5m over the 4 day weekend).

So yeah if Disney really wants this thing that could be another dead area to do a big push and it might be far enough away from the original push that it feels more significant.

Edit: actually almost every May MCU release has gotten at least a small push come Labor Day. Infinity war appears to be the only one that they left alone late in its run. Even guardians 1 got a little push in late November helped by the holiday (it was an August release)

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Man, did Paramount screw over Crawl. Didn't screen it for the critics and they ended up loving it. What a missed opportunity and zero faith in what you have.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crawls budget was $13.5m. I am legit surprised that it wasn't at least $20m

Saw it last night. I enjoyed it. Kaya Scodelario did an excellent job in her roll.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Had Endgame not been pulled from theaters in China after just three weeks, it would've already passed Avatar. Not getting that extension was some nonsense.
It wasn't making money anymore when it was pulled in China. Why would they have extended it?

Endgame only made as much money as it did in China because of Avatar lol. Blaming the Chinese release as unfair is the most ironic thing to get mad about.

And be sure, ironic is the most polite word I can use here.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I start to look fondly on Far From Home. I might have been in a bad mood when I watched it, and had that taint my experience.

I should see it again. But Crawl...

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
It wasn't making money anymore when it was pulled in China. Why would they have extended it?

Endgame only made as much money as it did in China because of Avatar lol. Blaming the Chinese release as unfair is the most ironic thing to get mad about.

And be sure, ironic is the most polite word I can use here.
Wasn't making money? It was still pulling it at least $1M a day.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Didn't it make like 3 grand its final weekend because there were a bunch of other movies opening and taking screens?
From May 19-24 it grossed $6M. It's last weekend of May 25-17 it grossed $3K because it had already been pulled from most theatres by the 24th.

On May 24, the theatrical run of Marvel's Avengers: Endgame is officially over with a total revenue of RMB 4.24 billion ($615 million) at the box office. This is the first time an Avengers film stays in Chinese theaters for only one month.

http://chinafilminsider.com/headlin...es-theatrical-run-in-china-without-extension/

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correct

Reason pulled justified.

On a serious note: Look at those week to week drops. That's probably why it got pulled, unless there's something else I don't know about.

Those drops aren't bad in China. It was outperforming films that got extensions, and it made 3k because that was the bleed over from a few smitens that didn't get the memo to pull it by X date. It really was a surprise that it didn't get an extension.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those drops aren't bad in China. It was outperforming films that got extensions, and it made 3k because that was the bleed over from a few smitens that didn't get the memo to pull it by X date.
Not saying that they were bad. What I was trying to say that perhaps due to those drops they dropped it because they wanted to put other films in place that would be making more money for them. Remember, Endgame is a foreign film in China. Unless of course there was another reason why they pulled it in a month.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I also think we need to be sure to consider the balloon ratio... does each have enough hot air?

If not shouldn't we adjust... so we can properly judge which balloons are truly fuller, accounting of course for any given war time rationing

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Those drops aren't bad in China. It was outperforming films that got extensions, and it made 3k because that was the bleed over from a few smitens that didn't get the memo to pull it by X date. It really was a surprise that it didn't get an extension.

From previous threads, the drops were bigger than infinity war, which got an extension and really didn't do a whole lot of business with that month extension. Endgame not doing as well and with Infinity War's lackluster extension run, it made sense for them not to grant an extension

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Opening wkd of Lion King in China will be in the range of $50m. With decent wom, it will end up over $100m over there but enough to say no way to that $2B ww dream.

Eagerly await what it could do domestically to say goodbye to that $1.5B ww too.

Still, a godly amount of money but such a shame for once a crow jewel of Disney, the only movie this year I thought could challenge EG. Should we wait to see what Star War or Frozen will do or it is too early to declare MCU is the king of Disney this year.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Really thought Lion King had a good chance at joining the $2b club, but with that RT that's out the fucking window. Still think it has a shot at #6 all time.

I could see Star Wars beating it out if JJ nails it.

If neither Star Wars nor Lion King hit $2b I'm not sure if there's anything on the horizon that gets there. Looking forward to the Marvel megatons next weekend and whether or not they announce and date Avengers 5.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
K locked down Spidey tickets for Sunday, I'll catch Crawl during the week. It's not in Dolby, so I can catch it whenever, where as Spidey will leave Dolby next week when the Lion Pleb hits

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't it make like 3 grand its final weekend because there were a bunch of other movies opening and taking screens?

Correct

Reason pulled justified.

On a serious note: Look at those week to week drops. That's probably why it got pulled, unless there's something else I don't know about.

Pretty sure it was already taken out at that point. There's likely some explanation for where that leftover money came. There was some 10m+ left in China still at the point it was taken out.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not saying that they were bad. What I was trying to say that perhaps due to those drops they dropped it because they wanted to put other films in place that would be making more money for them. Remember, Endgame is a foreign film in China. Unless of course there was another reason why they pulled it in a month.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that you're wrong! Simply that in dollar terms it was still a moneymaker for them. I'd pin the surprise no extension on the rising US/China tensions.

From previous threads, the drops were bigger than infinity war, which got an extension and really didn't do a whole lot of business with that month extension. Endgame not doing as well and with Infinity War's lackluster extension run, it made sense for them not to grant an extension

They have granted extensions for far far less. It doesn't make sense because they care about PTA and raw dollars, not WoW drops, especially when the projected level of drops would still yield better PTA/Raw dollars than other films that got extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.