• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has Hasbro tried to make cartoon variations of Transformer and GI Joe for current audiences?

They made GI Renegades about 8 years ago. It bombed hard.

I'm sorry but the whole gung-ho military team fighting wacky and harmless terrorists just DOESN'T work in the Post-Reagan, Post 9/11 world...

The only way it might stick is if they go full adult like GI Joe Resolute and actually explore the implications of fighting a menacing terrorist organization and show how horrifying such a group that murders civilians would really be, but that would mean loosing out on the toy sales, which I think is all Hasbro really cares about.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys like...100% sure that this thing ain't passing Avatar? Just asking a question, don't hurt me

I honestly don't see it happening.

I can see it fall short at around $3m-$4m.

I'm just doing some basic math based on it's current trajectory and how it's been falling lately. I see it doing sub $1m internationally this weekend and around $1.5m-$1.9m domestic this weekend. This is taking into account the theater drops next weekend with Lion Kings release.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

I'm just doing some basic math based on it's current trajectory and how it's been falling lately. I see it doing sub $1m internationally this weekend and around $1.5m-$1.9m domestic this weekend. This is taking into account the theater drops next weekend with Lion Kings release.
Hmm, your projections have been on point so far...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's not a chance Disney isn't gonna make it beat the record when it's this close.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't it still have it's extended release in other countries at a later date? It should crawl across then.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah I think it's taking the crown no matter what at this point.

Unless that's what James Cameron wants us to believe.
Give Feige a false sense of security. Mmmh...

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Deadline's afternoon update:

2nd Update, Friday Midday: In the wake of Sony's Spider-Man: Far From Home, and heading into the colossal Lion King, counterprogramming remains the freshest stuff on the marquee, but it's not king. Paramount's Sam Raimi-alligator production Crawl is seeing $4.5M-$5M today (including $1M from last night) for a 3rd place start between $11M-$12M at 3,170 locations.

Disney/Fox's R-rated action comedy Stuber with $3M-$3.5M today and $7.5M-$9M for the weekend at 3,050 is far worse in 4th place. Far From Home, as expected, has No. 1 in its web with around $40M, -56% for a running total of $269.2M by Sunday at 4,634 theaters.

Disney's Toy Story 4 has 2nd place in weekend 4 at 4,210 with $20M, -41%, for a $345.7M running total.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It was pointed out in boxoffice theory that IW made another 2.5m after August to the end of the year from just all the accumulated little screenings and re-releases around the world that don't get much attention or reporting so expect Endgame to keep trickling along for a while.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wrinkle in time and black panther were dragged across FAR less significant numbers than the BIGGEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Wrinkle in time and black panther were dragged across FAR less significant numbers than the BIGGEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME

Seriously. Black Panther came out the weekend of February 16 and was in theaters until the weekend of August 10. 2 days where it made $400 (no typo) and gained theaters the following weekend https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=marvel2017b.htm

I never got why people underestimated Disney's desire to get something making money. Whatever It Takes ain't just a film quote

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This Avatar race is honestly the best thing that could have happened with this. Such a roller coaster of emotions.
I have to think this is the highest traffic everything box office related; be it social media, this thread, or websites have gotten so consistently. I mean I never follow any of this stuff besides periodically a final tally check when something leaves theaters and I've been obsessively checking them all daily

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

It's gonna get dragged across the finish line kicking and screaming.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way it finishes $2-4m why and stops.

Disney would just flub the numbers at that point aka Wrinkle in Time.

Watch it get like a 400% increase in some territory all of a sudden.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
tumblr_p3iccee3AB1qfr6udo1_400.gif

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Has Hasbro tried to make cartoon variations of Transformer and GI Joe for current audiences?

Transformers has basically never stopped. There's been six cartoons (Animated, Prime, Robots in Disguise 2015 and Cyberverse plus the two Rescue Bots series that are aimed at toddlers) since the live-action movies and that's not even counting the Machinima stuff and the Netflix show based on the Siege toyline that is coming next year.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

If it's going to get that close naturally, I don't see why Disney wouldn't drag it the rest of the way across Avatar. They've done so for much smaller milestones.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding out hope that the Uncanny Valley leads to bad WoM for TLK, but I know better than to bet against Disney by this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.