• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Lion King is so bad that after we saw it my wife said half way through the movie she thought "is this really my favourite Disney movie of all time?" She hadn't seen the original since she was a kid in grade school. It's so bad it makes you literally question your cherished childhood movies. Yes it's a bad movie lol
To answer your wife's question: no it's not and don't let her let this ruin her memory of the actuall GOAT Lion King. That movie still stands and this does nothing to diminish that movie!

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen 2 probably makes the billion on brand name alone.

If they manage to catch lightning in a bottle with one of the new songs, you may be looking at the new highest grossing animation ever made.

The original's fandom was built on FAR more than just the initial box office, and if they can get those people to turn out there's a real chance the sequel does better.
This saddens me that quality original work gets beaten by a not so good remake of an old franchise. I guess people just don't want to see good original work anymore, but rather something that's safe and familiar to them. The irony of Tarantino's movie being centralized around a time when people did care really drives it home. This is just my opinion of course.
It's incredibly rare for quality auteur work aimed at a select crowd to beat four-quadrant blockbusters, no matter what era you're talking about. OUATIH is doing remarkably well in its own right- comparing it to The Lion King doesn't actually tell us anything other than the fact that the Lion King's aiming for a much larger audience.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Frozen 2 hitting a billion goes without saying. Over or Under the Lion King is the interesting question (I would say over)

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious question for OUATIH with a 90 million budget is 40 opening weekend even enough to guarantee it makes a profit? That number looked great until I saw the budget.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question for OUATIH with a 90 million budget is 40 opening weekend even enough to guarantee it makes a profit? That number looked great until I saw the budget.

It's not like we need a sequel.

Seriously, of course the studio wants to make money in the theatrical run, but a movie like this also exists for the studio catalog. It will likely do well enough that Tarantino will get a decent budget next time, even if not as big.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Studios competed to have the right to make OUATIH and had competing bids thrown at Tarantino. Tarantino is at the point in his career where whatever movie he wants to make a studio will jump at the chance of funding it. Almost no matter what it is.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
With Japan around, Frozen 2 can't possibly gross under $1 billion WW. Hell, Japan pretty much got Aladdin over the mark.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playmobil is a rip-off of a five year-old movie based off a far more popular brand, that has had multiple further entries which have underwhelmed at the box office since.

That movie is a nailed-on disaster.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
K0WVijp.jpg

Seeing those tweets in a row. Christ, Disney is killing it.

3 movies at 1 billion and they're not even the biggest blockbusters of the summer.

10 years ago, this would be a pipe dream.

Feels like Demolition Man. In 10 years all the movies will be by Disney.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Considering the release date I think Frozen 2 will be above Lion King at this point. Movie is going to own the hollidays unless it's terrible and completely different from the first but I doubt it.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the release date I think Frozen 2 will be above Lion King at this point. Movie is going to own the hollidays unless it's terrible and completely different from the first but I doubt it.
It'd have to be way above the original domestic for this to happen which only happens if the songs are big again.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
It'd have to be way above the original domestic for this to happen which only happens if the songs are big again.

Above 400M doesnt seem difficult at this point (in disney numbers lol) even without a new Let it go. Now beating Lion King might be a lot more difficult but I can see it having a similar opening and better legs through the season.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie will make bank but it it won't really be relevant by the time of the holidays. It will have been in theaters a month by then. Even Endgame wasn't doing much of note a month in.

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen 2 won't have the incredible legs of the original. I saw the original opening weekend and it was barely a phenomenon until weeks in

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
This seems relevant to post here:

Might just be for attention but if not that's a huge blow for China BO reporting.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think Tenet has the potential to be the auteur-driven blockbuster that breaks out next year. Nolan's name is a brand in itself by this point and the movie does look Inception-y from what we know. Forgot how much bank Inception made. 828.3m whew.

This seems relevant to post here:

Might just be for attention but if not that's a huge blow for China BO reporting.

Well fuck

Oct 25, 2017
I think Tenet has the potential to be the auteur-driven blockbuster that breaks out next year. Nolan's name is a brand in itself by this point and the movie does look Inception-y from what we know. Forgot how much bank Inception made. 828.3m whew.
I need Tenet and Dune to be successful.

Nolan and Villenueve need to save cinema

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think cinema needs "saving".

There are alot of great movies besides the big blockbusters.

Edit; and yes Dune will flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.