• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

I think I swallowed my tongue watching this.
No. I think we have played out stage musicals for now, that well has run dry. What we need to adapt are French made for TV sci-fi musicals

what's even better is that we can combine this with the power of the Mamma Mia franchise since, just as the theme music hints at, it's based on a fairy tale/acid trip ABBA musical (that even roped in poor Anni-Frid Lyngstad)

... I think this is my most niche post ever.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
No. I think we have played out stage musicals for now, that well has run dry. What we need to adapt are French made for TV sci-fi musicals

what's even better is that we can combine this with the power of the Mamma Mia franchise since, just as the theme music hints at, it's based on a fairy tale/acid trip ABBA musical (that even roped in poor Anni-Frid Lyngstad)

*leans forward until face is pressed against laptop screen*

What is thiiiiiis?!

How have I never heard of this before?!

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The power of Mysterio
Damn right!
giphy.gif

Too pure for this world

Dr.Strange in The Multiverse of Madness being a horror film has me highly intrigued. I hope that shit is spooky

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

How could you not mention the puppets?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Dr.Strange in The Multiverse of Madness being a horror film has me highly intrigued. I hope that shit is spooky
Wait for real? This has me even more intrigued.
According to the director yeah! They are really digging into the horrific elements of the characters world. He called it the MCU's first scary movie.
About a minute in
Which has me relieved, since it was what I expected out of the first Doctor Strange since they got Scott Derrickson for the project.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

It still blows my mind that one person directed those 4 movies. T2 is arguably the best action movie, period. Aliens is in a class of horror action all by itself and will likely never be touched. Titanic is, well, whatever Titanic is, but it's damn good at it. And, avatar was a phenomenon that did 3D better than any film has before or since. Insane.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Me and the wife saw lion king at the drive in last night. All that needs to be said about that movie is that afterwards she said she was seriously doubting herself that lion king was her favourite Disney movie, hadn't seen it since she was a kid. But that's how butchered that movie is, it makes you question your child hood lol. Seriously, Seth Rogen, John Oliver and Billy Eichner should not be the highlights of that movie. That is not take away anything from their performances which I enjoyed. Also, Beyonce cannot voice act. Maybe she's fine in isolation but against Donald Glover, oh mah god. I think they were afraid to tell her that raising and lowering the volume of your voice does not convey emotion. As part of the double header also saw endgame for the first time, excellent movie, enjoyed it greatly.

I also concur that Hobbs and Shaw looks so much better with all the fast and furious elements removed. Those movies review well and people seem to love them unironically, and not even as just popcorn flicks. Sometimes I feel like the world's most elaborate prank is being played on me by regarding those movies as anything beyond bombastic popcorn flicks (nothing wrong with that)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forgive him for killing Han.

I mean, I've never seen any of those films but Han seems like a cool dude from the gifs I've seen.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
In the OP of this thread there's a primer for this weekend on fudging which I would like to dispute. Hopefully this is the appropriate thread to do so, if not let me know and I'll move my post to the appropriate thread or a new one.

The first claim being made is this.
Would you be shocked to learn that Disney is fudging the numbers for Endgame's final run as it closes to the the title of #1 grossing movie of all time?
dUQxCGX.png

Within the past two weeks, Endgame has lost roughly 25% of their overall theater count, which is a massive hit to any movie's box office numbers. Endgame, though, only reported a decrease that weekend of 32.5%, which for a movie, is practically unheard of.

It is argued that losing roughly 25% of the overall theater count should incur a massive hit to a movie's box office numbers, which makes Endgame's decrease of 32.5% practically unheard of. I did some research on Box Offfice Mojo and such a drop doesn't seem to be unheard of at all. In fact, the current #2 movie at the all-time box office, Avatar, recorded two very similar drops. Specifically:

On the weekend of Mar 12-14, Avatar went from a theater count of 2163 to 1718, a decrease of roughly 20.1%. Despite that seemingly heavy drop, Avatar's box office numbers dropped only 19.6%. The ratio of theater decrease to box office decrease is almost 1:1.
Furthermore, on the very next weekend of Mar 19-21, Avatar's theater count dropped from 1718 to 1236, a decrease of roughly 28%. A similar theater drop to Endgame's which in fact caused a very similar drop in box office revenue: 38.3%.

I don't know if those kinds of drops are limited to box office monsters like Endgame and Avatar, however it seems that they are not that uncommon. At the very least Endgame's competition recorded similar drops.

The second claim being made is this:

Additionally, Disney has been using the tactic of fudging the international numbers particularly heavy, going from 1.1M internationally one weekend to suddenly jumping to 5.0M weekend* the next weekend with no re-releases or countries added is a clear indicator that the numbers are this point for Endgame are no longer accurate. (*The method of this is slightly more complex and best left to others in the thread to break down.) This isn't to mention the 3M in additional international gross that was randomly found on a Monday after previously reporting a weekend gross of 1M.

Due to my interest in the box office performance of MCU films I've been following the flow of information on Endgame's run here as well as on Box Office Theory, a forum specializing in box office numbers. That forum has a number of people that follow and report box office numbers from various countries around the world, before the estimates and actuals are officially announced. The ones I've been following are verified users with a long history of accurate information.

Two weeks ago, it was reported on Box Office Theory that Disney didn't update the international numbers with the actual results. There were a few million dollars from international markets that were verified but were never reported in the announced results. The amount of unreported money from just two countries alone was almost 7 million dollars, which would bring Endgame very close to the goal of beating Avatar's record. At the time it was hypothesized that Disney wasn't reporting the actual numbers in time in order to make the announcement of Endgame beating Avatar during SDCC, as it eventually happened.

Based on that information, I believe that the only kind of tampering that someone can plausibly claim happened is that Disney withheld the true numbers from the re-release for a couple of weeks. Personally I see no indication that Disney pulled money out of thin air in order to beat Avatar's record. Also, if I have made any mistake in my calculations please point it out and I will correct it.

Dec 13, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring staff post
Honestly, the op is a joke with that thread primer.

It's unsupported, unnecessary, and dishonest in its claim to be for education

Also, extra hilarious it follows a 'be chill guys this is a chill place' message.

Nov 13, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring Discussion Guidelines
I can't tell if the Avatar stans are overreacting, the MCU stans are con artists, or both.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Monday numbers from Charlie Jatinder

The Lion King 21,160,000
Spider-Man: Far from Home 2,890,000
Toy Story 4 2,070,000
Crawl 790,000
Yesterday 650,000
Aladdin (2019) 600,000
Stuber 460,000
Annabelle Comes Home 440,000