• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

Aladdin in its 4th weekend still beat Far From Home in Japan...

Japan is having a moment with Aladdin right now. The movie might well end up the 2nd highest grossing of the year there -

Except for a big challenger - Toy Story 4. I was thinking to myself, Toy Story 3 just crossed the threshold to a billion and there's actual competition coming quick for 4, so maybe my assumption of a billion could end up just missing the mark.

But then I looked at both films' international grosses and remembered the curse of animated films getting weird global rollouts. 4 isn't out most of the place yet, and if you look at 3's international rates, you notice some heavy hitters that are unaccounted for -

3 made $126.7 million in Japan and $40 million in France. Granted, those were those halcyon days of crazy exchange rates, but I'm back to thinking a billion is a lock.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
jett keep the gifs coming, they are hilarious. And the amount of salt from one poster they seem to be producing is even better.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Japan is having a moment with Aladdin right now. The movie might well end up the 2nd highest grossing of the year there -

Except for a big challenger - Toy Story 4. I was thinking to myself, Toy Story 3 just crossed the threshold to a billion and there's actual competition coming quick for 4, so maybe my assumption of a billion could end up just missing the mark.

But then I looked at both films' international grosses and remembered the curse of animated films getting weird global rollouts. 4 isn't out most of the place yet, and if you look at 3's international rates, you notice some heavy hitters that are unaccounted for -

3 made $126.7 million in Japan and $40 million in France. Granted, those were those halcyon days of crazy exchange rates, but I'm back to thinking a billion is a lock.

What big markets is it missing? I see Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Sweden, Finland, maybe more?

Comparing the small available data it seems the there was a huge drop in the opening in UK and a small one in Australia, Spain. Increase in Mexico, South Korea and China. Depends on the legs (like always...)

Nov 13, 2017
I do wonder how far Japan will take Aladdin, and whether Disney will re-release it in the U.S. in some kind of "sing-a-long" format to push it to $950M.

Every time I go to Japan, I am truly baffled by how Disney is bigger there than it even is over here lol.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's dedication! Lol if I didn't have work I'd probably do the first am show too but I had to settle for 4pm. Hopefully no one notices that I left the office early lol
I only picked the 9am show because the rest were basically sold out or had shitty front row seats. Also, I don't work tomorrow 🤣😎

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I skipped all of the movies I wanted to see these last weeks. Last time I was at the cinema was on April 26 for Avengers: Endgame, but I'll go again in 20 hours to watch Spider-Man: Far From Home. The whole thing about using giftcards for online booking here in my country is just so stupid. Let's say a ticket is $25, and there's $60 on my giftcard then I can't use it. I can only use the card if there's exactly $25 on the giftcard. Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe I skipped all of the movies I wanted to see these last weeks. Last time I was at the cinema was on April 26 for Avengers: Endgame, but I'll go again in 20 hours to watch Spider-Man: Far From Home. The whole thing about using giftcards for online booking here in my country is just so stupid. Let's say a ticket is $25, and there's $60 on my giftcard then I can't use it. I can only use the card if there's exactly $25 on the giftcard. Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow.
Wtf

How do you reduce your gift card then, concessions only?

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is it bad that I only find myself at the movies for only Marvel studios movies
now ..been like this for the the last couple years now..

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard anyone outside of this thread talk about Avatar in 8 years.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf

How do you reduce your gift card then, concessions only?
Well, if I want to use my giftcard. I'll have to reserve a seat online, instead of buying the ticket online. So I'll reserve a seat, and then go pay for the ticket at the cinema with the giftcard in less than a week. With Spidey I just didn't care and spent money on the ticket online, since otherwise I would have to go to the city to use my giftcard.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I loved Endgame but this summer already has had multiple must see movies I'd place above it such as Booksmart.

See I want to see that plus I even kinda wanna see the new men and black, and other stuff but I just don't think it's worth going to the theaters ( I don't like the theaters much, it's always a pain in the ass to plan going to the movies unless I'm going myself, and truth be told I dislike watching a movie myself these days ) to see those type of movies when I can see them when they're on Netflix, or the Google play store so I can rent them.

For some reason I made mental block in my head that only believes the exception to this rule is the MCU I know sounds stupid but I feel like I have to see the next MCU movie it's like game of thrones now almost, I gotta see what happens next and I gotta see it ASAP before spoilers. Also it's fun as hell to see a marvel movie with a big crowd on opening weekend unlike othe movies where the smaller crowd makes it feel...I dunno less exciting?

Already last night on YouTube a thumbnail spoiled something from far from home and I was pissed

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See I want to see that plus I even kinda wanna see the new men and black, and other stuff but I just don't think it's worth going to the theaters ( I don't like the theaters much, it's always a pain in the ass to plan going to the movies unless I'm going myself, and truth be told I dislike watching a movie myself these days ) to see those type of movies when I can see them when they're on Netflix, or the Google play store so I can rent them.

For some reason I made mental block in my head that only believes the exception to this rule is the MCU I know sounds stupid but I feel like I have to see the next MCU movie it's like game of thrones now almost, I gotta see what happens next and I gotta see it ASAP before spoilers. Also it's fun as hell to see a marvel movie with a big crowd on opening weekend unlike othe movies where the smaller crowd makes it feel...I dunno less exciting?

Already last night on YouTube a thumbnail spoiled something from far from home and I was pissed
Are there other blockbusters outside of the MCU you feel the same way about seeing on big screen/avoiding spoilers/etc? Such as the DCEU, Star Wars, Fast and Furious, etc?

As a lot of these franchises rely just as much on the spectacle huge crowds theatrical experience angle as well

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Are there other blockbusters outside of the MCU you feel the same way about seeing on big screen/avoiding spoilers/etc? Such as the DCEU, Star Wars, Fast and Furious, etc?

I used to feel this way for the DCEU until after justice league came out and bombed thus Ben Affleck / henry cavil left and so that cinamatic universe died for me. Never watched a fast and furious movie for more than a hour my life lol and star wars I don't really care but I see it anyway cause of the zeitigist around it, for that one I don't really care about spoilers I guess

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
FFH is about to pass Homecoming's entire 5 week China run in 5 days.

We might be looking at $250M in China alone for FFH.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad that I only find myself at the movies for only Marvel studios movies
now ..been like this for the the last couple years now..

You might be a case study for something I've long suspected and posted a couple times about.

We know the average theater-goer (in America, at least) will go to something like 5 movies per year. Yes, attendance is slightly down but these numbers seem to hold fairly well.

So, what happens when marvel is so successful that they lock in 2-3 of those trips for a good portion of the audience, and then pile on Pixar, Star Wars, DC, any other horror films, etc.

When you're still only going to go 4-5 times but now your seeing these absolute monsters drop a few times a year it's gonna suck all the air out of the room.

Thus, again, the slow death of small and midline film.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
The Daniel Craig Bond era is going to be remembered more for everything that went wrong offscreen than the rare mere-mediocrities that went right enough to end up on it

Needless to say: skipping 25 the film, reading 25 the book on what went wrong

luca

Oct 25, 2017
All of these stories about trouble on the Bond 25 set are mostly to rile up drama. Sure they had explosions recently, and Craig injured his ankle. But they also tried playing up how Cary Fukunaga has been 3 hours late because he's playing PlayStation, which he had to deny on his own Instagram even. I would only trust Baz Bamigboye from the Daily Mail when it comes to James Bond productions.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
All of these stories about trouble on the Bond 25 set are mostly to rile up drama. Sure they had explosions recently, and Craig injured his ankle. But they also tried playing up how Cary Fukunaga has been 3 hours late because he's playing PlayStation, which he had to deny on his own Instagram even. I would only trust Baz Bamigboye from the Daily Mail when it comes to James Bond productions.

You may very well be right but when was the last time a Bond shoot went according to plan? I think every Daniel Craig film has had major production problems.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I think it can. Remember, AQUAMAN opened to $94m and did $298m while Venom did $272m.
I think it mostly depends on when that film The Eight Hundred gets released in China because I think that will all but kill FHH's legs. If it gets lucky and manages to avoid it until week 4 then you'll be right, which would be insane and almost guarantee FFH becomes the highest grossing non-Avengers MCU film.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Toy Story 4 Argentina/Uruguay update time:
- AR: It has crossed 3.3M admission in just 2 weeks, and the winter break is still 2 weeks away (or 1 week, depending on province). Breaking 4M is a lock, becoming the 4th film in history to do so (and also kicking Endgame out of the all time top 5 in the process), but too early to tell how far after that it'd go.
- UY: Currently at 86k admissions which is pretty good, and the winter break just started so it's going to kick into overdrive these 2 weeks. Considering how Incredibles 2 did last year, and that's almost halfway there, it does have pretty big chance of topping Endgame's (current) 208k admissions, kicking it down to 9th all time.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You may very well be right but when was the last time a Bond shoot went according to plan? I think every Daniel Craig film has had major production problems.
If Daniel Craig isn't giving interviews on how James Bond is the worst character in the world then things are going according to plan.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You haven't, doesn't mean others don't talk about it. This could be said for anything. ResetEra is not a one stop shop for all that is relevant in the world.
There's no news stories about it or top 10 lists other than those talking about box office. It has been forgotten by pop culture except when discussing all time box office numbers. It's weird because much older all time box office holders like ET or Jurassic Park or Star Wars or even titanic are brought up all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.