• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
It was in fact a rush job but not because of what you're saying, Brad has actually been very open with the fact that they lost an entire year of production and all kinds of ideas had to be cut when Pixar swapped its release date with Toy Story 4's. Incredibles 2 was originally meant to release this year, and TS4 last year. So yes it was in fact a huge rush job. We'll have to agree to disagree on the quality of the final project but there's no denying that losing that year hurt the movie in multiple ways :(

It's a shame they didn't just bump Toy Story up a year instead of swapping the dates, though I guess they have Frozen 2 this year and honestly this year is so stacked in terms of Disney that I guess it wasn't feasible, but Incredibles 2 still turned out well.

It's one of the reasons I think we'll see Incredibles 3 sooner rather than later, because they have so many ideas and probably storyboards and whatnot just sitting there and clearly audiences are hungry for it.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Brad Birds great idea for Incredibles 2 was 'shit, I need to get out of Directors Jail' after Tomorrowland was a massive bomb that lost Disney hundreds of millions of dollars. If he'd had a great idea for Incredibles 2, it sure didn't show in the finale product. That's not me being flippant either, the signs of it being a (directorial and written) rush job are everywhere.

Tomorrowland Total Lifetime Grosses off of a 190m Production
Domestic:$93,436,322 44.7%
Foreign:$115,718,000 55.3%
Worldwide:$209,154,322
I second this, I liked one scene in I2 and that is just not good enough.

So how if TS4 is setting records is it "under-performing"

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd kill to see the concepts that they had for Incredibles 2 before the shuffling of the release dates. They were developing ideas around the villain being a deranged AI, but had to scrap a lot of it and cobble together what they had at really short notice.

They were giving interviews about how much they'd be able to cover in another sequel that was cut from the last one last year.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Aladdin has just grossed ¥5,515,400,000 in the Japanese box office, with 3,856,800 tickets sold. That's approximately $51 million in 3 weeks. According to the source, that's actually on par with Frozen, which ($249m in Japan) and ahead of Beauty and the Beast ($110m in 2017).

Toy Story 4 isn't coming to Japan until next month, although Spider-Man Far From Home debuts there first (for once), so it should continue to do strong numbers in the country. Perhaps it can be just enough to get it closer to $1 billion than $900m.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I should probably make a thread on this, but Newsies is not only one of Disney's most underrated films, it's one of Disney's absolute best

Oct 31, 2017

Aladdin has just grossed ¥5,515,400,000 in the Japanese box office, with 3,856,800 tickets sold. That's approximately $51 million in 3 weeks. According to the source, that's actually on par with Frozen, which ($249m in Japan) and ahead of Beauty and the Beast ($110m in 2017).

Toy Story 4 isn't coming to Japan until next month, although Spider-Man Far From Home debuts there first (for once), so it should continue to do strong numbers in the country. Perhaps it can be just enough to get it closer to $1 billion than $900m.

But John Campea told me Alladin is not even a 800MM movie.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Lion King will open to $500m+ WW opening weekend. Bookmark it.

Got my tickets 20 min ago and they were going so fast that they also had a "wait in line" counter just like Endgame had except it didn't break apps/sites lol

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Proper Electro please. I want the stupid ass mask and all.
kisspng-electro-spider-man-daredevil-marvel-avengers-alli-marvel-5ad4d1d5e3e553.3651298515238967899335.jpg

Spidey has the best/second best rogues gallery ever of any comic hero. The only one I would take zero issue with is someone saying Batman, and would probably honestly say Batman has the better overall Rogues gallery even if I love the low rent cheesy Spidey guys more.
I want B and Z tier characters on the big screen, dammit.

superman's rogues are amazing and underrated

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Flash S1 is PEAK superhero goodness. I was squealing when Thawne busted out that ring costume and proceeded to beat asses in.
To think, Arrow S2 with Deathstroke was my high bar for superhero TV and then Flash S1 had to just casually stroll in and shame everyone.

EDIT: Although Flash S2 has a visual recreation of Flash of Two Worlds and has Jay Garrick and his boss costume and all. Let's not get into King Shark or Zoom dragging Barry all across town. Too bad the finale to season 2 was lame as hell.
The thing that always bugged me about the Flash villains is, when they run off after a fight...where are they going? These guys can run at or around the speed of light, why are they just going back to their hideouts instead of carrying out their ultimate plans in a matter of seconds?

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of villains I wonder who the villain(s) will be for the Flash movie that is totally going to happen after Miller is done with Harry Potter in *checks notes* 2026 at the earliest?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of villains I wonder who the villain(s) will be for the Flash movie that is totally going to happen after Miller is done with Harry Potter in *checks notes* 2026 at the earliest?
You don't think he'll do Flash somewhere in between considering it's WB? Villains? Hmmm probably Reserve Flash.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MIB would be ok around a $80-$100m budget tops, but who thought it was a good idea at $170m?
Just saw it this week end... It was ok, but a bit of a snooze fest. Stellar cast was completely wasted on the meh script and lackluster direction.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Seems 110M is thrown around a few times.

Not bad.

THR and Variety are saying $110M, Deadline keeps insisting that it's lower than $100M, but everyone is saying that they brought on a couple co-producers so their exposure is less than that. The number we've heard is that it breaks even for Sony if it can make it to $300M WW.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Underrated, most certainly. They don't top Spider-Man or Batman though. Too many good villains.
lex
darkseid
braniac
zod
metallo
mxy
intergang
manchester black
bizarro
mongul
parasite
cyborg superman
bad writers
toyman

when you start listing you realize it stacks up well against everyone's, and that's just off the top of my head

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
lex
darkseid
braniac
zod
metallo
mxy
intergang
manchester black
bizarro
mongul
parasite
cyborg superman
bad writers
toyman

when you start listing you realize it stacks up well against everyone's, and that's just off the top of my head

No Terra Man?

In the bronze age, Superman villains were pretty dire. Lex, Myxyzptlk, and Brainiac, of course, and Parasite, but then you had OG Toyman (ugh), Terra Man, the Galactic Golem and a lot of real z-listers.

Darkseid wasn't really a Superman foe yet, and Mongul was a welcome introduction. Zod and the other phantom zone villains were generally written as lame.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Annabelle Comes Home is tracking for $35m Wed-Sun, which is the same range the other films opened to for the three day weekend. So tracking slightly down for 5 days but this is the first Wednesday opener for the series.
Will it underperform like many other sequels this summer?

Aine

May 27, 2019
Annabelle Comes Home is tracking for $35m Wed-Sun, which is the same range the other films opened to for the three day weekend. So tracking slightly down for 5 days but this is the first Wednesday opener for the series.

Fuck, what does WB have if their Conjuring-verse goes down the toilet, too?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
That Toy Story number is really good compared to every other movie this summer. Wonder how its legs will do since it has been getting really good word of mouth.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not sequels under performing, it's bad sequels underperforming. Last I checked endgame and John wick were sequels. Though Godzilla was fucking great and deserved better. I blame that one on American audiences just not liking giant monsters movies.

What movies are 'needed'? All movies are made just to make money essentially especially if they're a big budget Hollywood movie. It feels especially bizarre saying this about a movie that turned out to be really good.

I need four MCU movies a year. I literally can't get enough of them.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed. Most other blockbusters are unwatchable, a fourth MCU film each year would create a perfect cycle of constant MCU goodness. We would be literally talking about the MCU all the time since a new movie would always be on the verge of releasing in theaters.

Oct 28, 2017
You'll probably get your wish with how things are going for Disney but I'd rather not.
Agreed. Most other blockbusters are unwatchable, a fourth MCU film each year would create a perfect cycle of constant MCU goodness. We would be literally talking about the MCU all the time since a new movie would always be on the verge of releasing in theaters.
Is this sarcasm? Because I really hope it is.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Here's a fun thought, if the thought of 4 MCU movies a year doesn't interest you then you could not see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.