• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You didn't have to do him like this, not again 🤣

Zatt has earned this and I'm sure most can agree.

There is logic, facts and ACTUAL evidence and then there is fanboism, hopes and dreams and "evidence" sprinkled with pixie dust.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The way it has looked to me was Endgame was always clearly going to finish just shy of Avatar that any extra thing, a re-release, special edition or whatever could be all the bump it needed. Some people insisted it was dead and buried while folks like Zatt accepted the possibility of that extra thing and got basically bullied for it.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
The way it has looked to me was Endgame was always clearly going to finish just shy of Avatar that any extra thing, a re-release, special edition or whatever could be all the bump it needed. Some people insisted it was dead and buried while folks like Zatt accepted the possibility of that extra thing and got basically bullied for it.
Zatt got dunked on for ridiculousness like saying EG would be in theaters in December, and many more idiotic "predictions" that were similar

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Zatt got dunked on for ridiculousness like saying EG would be in theaters in December, and many more idiotic "predictions" that were similar
I still think Endgame has a shot of maintaining theaters longer than September, like it was for Infinity War. And I wouldn't doubt that there will be around 500 theaters still playing Endgame by the holidays. That would be enough to make at least more $2m for it. (Potentially a re-release around that time anticipating Oscars season)

This is more common for a film as big as this one as you and others seem to think. And just like a re-release, it's not ridiculous at all.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Which is honestly understandable.

But immediately responding to the news of a rerelease with "well, he didn't get the date right lol what a moron" is so transparently goal-shifty in a thread about predictions and projections.

It's absolutely personal, and childish as hell. The whole discourse concerning these 2 movies' box office race has been childish, which is especially frustrating because one side is throwing just as many stones as the other, but hiding their hands and feigning superiority afterwards.

Y'all mommas ain't teach y'all bout that being bitch-made shit?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

But immediately responding to the news of a rerelease with "well, he didn't get the date right lol what a moron" is so transparently goal-shifty in a thread about predictions and projections.

It's absolutely personal, and childish as hell. The whole discourse concerning these 2 movies' box office race has been childish, which is especially frustrating because one side is throwing just as many stones as the other, but hiding their hands and feigning superiority afterwards.

It's not personal to me, but thank you so fucking much for saying this. ❤️

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not personal to me, but thank you so fucking much for saying this. ❤

giphy.gif

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017

Oh I agree. But if we want to be honest for a minute, I believe Zatt's brand of bullshit has really amped up the negative tone of these threads. When you have a guy sitting in the corner rubbing himself with shit hot takes over and over, it breeds those type of childish responses. Should some know better and not lower themselves to some of the things said? Sure. Should Zatt tone down the attention seaking fanboying crap? Absolutely.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think Endgame has a shot of maintaining theaters longer than September, like it was for Infinity War. And I wouldn't doubt that there will be around 500 theaters still playing Endgame by the holidays. That would be enough to make at least more $2m for it. (Potentially a re-release around that time anticipating Oscars season)

This is more common for a film as big as this one as you and others seem to think. And just like a re-release, it's not ridiculous at all.

You're stretching more than Mr. Fantastic at this point man.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yep.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not going to be playing 500 screens by the holidays (thus Christmas Day).

I am willing to do a YEAR LONG avatar bet with you over this. Whoever wins picks the others avatar for an entire year.

If you are so confident, are you in? 500 screens by the holidays as you stated.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zatt, are you in? You said 500 screen by christmas. If you are as confident as your claim is...you can control my avatar for an entire year.

You know what? I will even give you a handicap! You said it will be 500 screens still by the holidays, I will throw you a free 100 screens and consider you winning if its 400 screens or higher!

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
My local 20 screen theater that had IW until September is already down to only two Endgame showtimes total starting Friday
It will probably get more screens once the re-release happens. I think that we aren't talking enough how much this is a genius move if it's confirmed it happens just before Far From Home is in the theaters:

Like ManaByte said, you take away from the things that are clearly underperforming like Fox-Men and give it to the film with actual potential of giving movie theaters demand. I really hope that Brazil gets this re-release in time for Far From Home!

Probably one of the more tame bits of hostility I've seen around here, but it's only a day.

And validating toxic behavior by blaming one user whose worst offense is overzealous fandom is pretty fucked.
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the MCU, but I honestly think this particular fact clouded some opinions that were fairly logical: it was always up to Disney to actively seek the worldwide record, and getting as close as it's getting was pretty much guaranteeing that this would be the outcome.

I love the "Zatt has used the infinity gauntlet to will it into existence" jokes, but it was always about predicting the most likely outcome. Maybe if I wasn't as vocal as a MCU fan, people here would be less surprised that this is happening.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will probably get more screens once the re-release happens. I think that we aren't talking enough how much this is a genius move if it's confirmed it happens just before Far From Home is in the theaters:

Like ManaByte said, you take away from the things that are clearly underperforming like Fox-Men and give it to the film with actual potential of giving movie theaters demand. I really hope that Brazil gets this re-release in time for Far From Home!
Deadline confirmed it's June 28th.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
There's been an underlying nasty tone during this whole Endgame/Avatar thing, and it's really soured these threads. It's not just discussion, people took it too far and seemingly delight in throwing shitty little snide comments at Zatt. It got brought up again above, and like clockwork, shitty and snide comment thrown at a specific user. And for what? Box office numbers that make people we'll never meet richer? Because someone was a bit too enthusiastic about a film series they like? How dare he, I guess.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's been an underlying nasty tone during this whole Endgame/Avatar thing, and it's really soured these threads. It's not just discussion, people took it too far and seemingly delight in throwing shitty little snide comments at Zatt. It got brought up again above, and like clockwork, shitty and snide comment thrown at a specific user. And for what? Box office numbers that make people we'll never meet richer? Because someone was a bit too enthusiastic about a film series they like? How dare he, I guess.
Zatt rubs people the wrong way not because he is a fan and overly enthusiastic. I think that is where the confusion is.

It's the cycle of 1. Zatt makes a wildly over-the-top prediction 2. Doubles down on it 3. When the prediction fails (such as 1 bil domestic by Memorial Day) he changes the prediction, insists this is his real prediction and then doubles down on that new one...and then cycles through this on and on and on...until by default he is always right in the end because he changes his prediction until he is right while dismissing any prior version of the prediction.

Being a fan and enthusiastic is fine, never admitting you are wrong and constantly changing predictions and doubling down each time....makes discussions extremely difficult and makes people want to see you stumble.

It's why people get annoyed when you see the "Zatt was right!" stuff, because well that's because he has changed what his prediction is 10,000 times already by that point as each prior version of the prediction failed to happen. If you just pop into threads occasionally you don't see this cycle, its why the more regular posters are the most exasperated.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It's crazy to read people claiming that I never admitted I got things wrong when I did that very thing several times. I went back on the possibility of a holiday short circuit run because I do think it's possible, but I admitted that I was flat out wrong about when Endgame would top Avatar time and time again.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Zatt rubs people the wrong way not because he is a fan and overly enthusiastic. I think that is where the confusion is.

It's the cycle of 1. Zatt makes a wildly over-the-top prediction 2. Doubles down on it 3. When the prediction fails (such as 1 bil domestic by Memorial Day) he changes the prediction, insists this is his real prediction and then doubles down on that new one...and then cycles through this on and on and on...until by default he is always right in the end because he changes his prediction until he is right while dismissing any prior version of the prediction.

Being a fan and enthusiastic is fine, never admitting you are wrong and constantly changing predictions and doubling down each time....makes discussions extremely difficult and makes people want to see you stumble.

It's why people get annoyed when you see the "Zatt was right!" stuff, because well that's because he has changed what his prediction is 10,000 times already by that point as each prior version of the prediction failed to happen. If you just pop into threads occasionally you don't see this cycle, its why the more regular posters are the most exasperated.
You can always put Zatt on ignore if you are tired of his predictions. But instead, you and a lot of other posters here would rather consistently throw toxic rhetoric at him and continue to make this thread less fun. I've seen posts where people are saying these threads aren't fun anymore because Zatt doesn't post his crazy takes so while you all complain about him it sure seems like you enjoy the cycle.

I'm of the opinion that until we get an official statement from a staff member the constant toxic nature of these threads will continue uncontrolled until we reach a real breaking point.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
You can always put Zatt on ignore if you are tired of his predictions. But instead, you and a lot of other posters here would rather consistently throw toxic rhetoric at him and continue to make this thread less fun. I've seen posts where people are saying these threads aren't fun anymore because Zatt doesn't post his crazy takes so while you all complain about him it sure seems like you enjoy the cycle.
Even in ignore a large percentage of posts would look like people talking to the air.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Even in ignore a large percentage of posts would look like people talking to the air.
Then mainly ignore him and choose not to respond. It's not that hard.
And it's not even just Zatt, I've had toxic encounters with posters here for simply asking questions using Endgame as an example. What is it going to take fotr some of you to get some perspective on all of this?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that even if someone is on ignore and you have many others responding, you can't tell what is going on with only half the conversation is all.

As someone who only occasionally posts but loves box office figures (started in the late 90s with reading Entertainment Weekly), it feels like this point, which is accurate, speaks to a more fundamental issue that is more cultural to these threads.

It often feels like after the first couple pages there is less substantive discussion of the box office and more of an atmosphere of personalities clashing and sniping. It inevitably ends up simply being 5 or 6 people going in a steady loop of "I'm not, but what are you?" At that point it becomes a referendum on posters with little actual talk of films or their performance. I don't know how to not have that, though, so...

Edit: And to agree with Cheebo right above me, a lot of that circular argumentation definitely stems from people rooting for or decrying outcomes instead of analyzing results, bringing up parallels, discussing box office history, etc. We are all fans of something, often many somethings, and that's great! I like talking about the things I love! But there is a Comic Book Guy vibe that permeates a lot of these topics.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Is there an equivalent of a sports almanac but for movie-related news? Because I'm pretty sure that future Zatt back-to-the-future'd this.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
My point is that even if someone is on ignore and you have many others responding, you can't tell what is going on with only half the conversation is all.
It's not a hard ask to tone down the crazy predictions by about 10 decibels, this isn't Box Office Theory. No one wants to put anyone on ignore.
I don't have Cheebo on ignore and yet I feel like i'm talking to the air right now lol
If you have people not involved in the situation calling out your toxicity then maybe you should look at yourself and consider that maybe you are in-fact toxic. These arguments span multiple threads and it's a constant thing.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
As someone who only occasionally posts but loves box office figures (started in the late 90s with reading Entertainment Weekly), it feels like this point, which is accurate, speaks to a more fundamental issue that is more cultural to these threads.

It often feels like after the first couple pages there is less substantive discussion of the box office and more of an atmosphere of personalities clashing and sniping. It inevitably ends up simply being 5 or 6 people going in a steady loop of "I'm not, but what are you?" At that point it becomes a referendum on posters with little actual talk of films or their performance. I don't know how to not have that, though, so...

Let's try a novel concept:

Let's respect dissident box office predictions. I do have some on ignore that I almost never reply to, but that was because I felt personally attacked, not because of a diverging opinion. Arguing in good faith isn't having to concede about something you are adamant that it will happen.

Basically, listen to Bill & Ted y'all:

6W4p1xe.gif

Last edited:
Staff Post: Cut out the hostility and stay on topic.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We are all eager to see who comes out on top between Avatar and Endgame. However, let's not let that rivalry spur hostility or personal attacks between members. Metacommentary about other users or the state of the thread contributes to this hostile environment, so let's cut out the antagonistic attitude and stay on topic.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

I'm of the opinion that until we get an official statement from a staff member the constant toxic nature of these threads will continue uncontrolled until we reach a real breaking point.

I will say that there is a lot of weirdness in this thread when Endgame is involved, the weirdness comes from both sides but especially the anti-Zatt folks. Endgame gets brought up even when the topic of conversation isn't Endgame, and it's mainly to take potshots at it and/or the people who want it to pass Avatar.

Hopefully this re-release gives Endgame the much needed theater count and box office boost it needs to reach Avatar.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Aww man I just get people being banned for saying abortion is the great modern evil of our society in my box office threads, I don't get fun things like staff posts :(.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I am ashamed to admit that I saw Dark Phoenix on Monday and it actually wasn't that bad? Boring and forgettable but not outright bad. 6.5/10.
I've yet to see Aladdin so i'm debating if I should see that this weekend or try and squeeze in a Toy Story 4 showing if the theatres aren't too packed.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney should rerelease TLJ instead. An extra hour of Canto Bright.
There was canto bight deleted scenes!

I legit love the weirdo bath scene lol.

It'll be great to read all the hot takes about how the based JJ threw out all of Rian Johnson's ideas into the trash, whether it's true or not.
And I am sure there will be some who declare JJ didn't "get" what Rian did and did a movie for the plebs or whatever no matter what is in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.