• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
People thought 3 weeks after endgame was going be enough, that the Pokemon brand was going to for sure top the MCU. Some of y'all got some crow to eat

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I think whether or not we see some Pokemon follow ups is how lucrative Legendary/WB sees the franchise. I think starting with something small like Detective Pikachu was smart from a business sense but maybe not a fan sense. It let them test the waters on if people would even respond to a live action Pokemon movie at all, and I think the numbers at the very least show that they do, just maybe not this Pokemon movie. The decently-sized opening and initial interest showed that people will happily accept their take, but most people petered out when it became apparent it was kinda a weird kid's movie. And unless they do a hard reboot, they pretty much used Detective Pikachu to set the foundation for all the mechanics and avenues for their world: catching, battling, leagues, Pokemon designs, etc, without blowing their wad in the "big" movie and potentially screwing up. They can now just lightly tweak things while focusing mainly on plot and characters without worrying too much about figuring out the nitty gritty for the first time.

We can napkin math it all we like but it'll be up to the internals if they decide sticking with this world, in either a smaller-scale followup or the big adventure movie, is profitable for them.

Please decide it's profitable.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I honestly was expecting it to do much better, I suppose the endgame craze really hurt any potential to build momentum for the movie.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The Mordor games for one. And The Hobbit films did progressively worse with the final one not making a billion if I remember correctly.

The Hobbit films were crazy consistent. Yeah, the last one missed a billion but not by much. But it still made $950 million. As much as the geek community (or whatever you want to call it) hates the movies, the general public had no problem going back for each film. If the public was truly that disinterested then you would be seeing The Battle of Five Armies struggling to clear $500m. Despite what these threads make some think, making near a billion is no easy thing (even moreso in 2012-2014). Back in 2014 the only MCU films to outgross TBoFA were the Avengers and IM3. $3 billion in total revenue for three films released annually probably made Amazon *more* confident in the LOTR series, not less.

Re: the game. SoM was a big hit for Warners. I believe Shadow of War also did quite well for them even with the controversy over microtransactions.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know The Hustle was a gender-bent remake of an old comedy. Thought of seeing it as I don't mind Anne Hathaway comedies, but sadly reviews were bad. It's clever of them to release so soon after Captain Marvel though. Now if they'd been just as clever at marketing it, I'm sure it would make a whole lot more money.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Some people actually thought Detective Pikachu would out gross Toy Story 4 at the DOM BO?

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
tMAERHS.jpg

For anyone that says Endgame is the reason Pikachu didnt open higher, a reminder of 2015. Jurassic World just came off the then record OW, and in this week also set the new second weekend record. Yet Inside Out still managed to open to $90m against that.

Because general audiences wanted to see it. General audiences just were not as enthusiastic about Pikachu. The movie had a decent opening, but Endgame's third weekend had minimal impact on it, because if another family film (original I might add, and not based on "the biggest franchise in the world") can make $90m and still come in second place, then that shows that if general audiences actually wanted to see a film, they would see it.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect Pikachu to ever beat out Endgame in a week, and I don't know enough about movies to have made a guess at money made. But I am finding all these sarcastic, "hur largest media franchise," posts to miss the mark, I guess? Like, factually, the Pokémon franchise as a whole has grossed more than even Mickey. It is the largest media franchise. Now as for that carrying over to a movie success, idk why anyone would think that? I also don't do much browsing in these threads, so.. all I can assume is the sarcastic comments are coming in response to earlier goofy predictions that this fact would lead to the movie doing exponentionally well?

TBH I've just been checking the threads these past few weeks to see if Endgame will top Avatar haha

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect Pikachu to ever beat out Endgame in a week, and I don't know enough about movies to have made a guess at money made. But I am finding all these sarcastic, "hur largest media franchise," posts to miss the mark, I guess? Like, factually, the Pokémon franchise as a whole has grossed more than even Mickey. It is the largest media franchise. Now as for that carrying over to a movie success, idk why anyone would think that? I also don't do much browsing in these threads, so.. all I can assume is the sarcastic comments are coming in response to earlier goofy predictions that this fact would lead to the movie doing exponentionally well?

TBH I've just been checking the threads these past few weeks to see if Endgame will top Avatar haha

Numerous people said DP would outgross Toy Story and Frozen because of that reasoning.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

No, it factually hasn't. That damn Wiki article is the only source for those rankings, and it's HILARIOUSLY bad in every way. The Pokémon list double counts $30 BILLION in revenue.

And even if it WAS accurate, all time revenue generated across all revenue streams is an awful metric.

Some people actually thought Detective Pikachu would out gross Toy Story 4 at the DOM BO?
There were some folks here who were insisting it would top Lion King, and possibly Endgame. I'm not shitting you.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Actually Fox got the merch rights for the X-Men/F4 movies, which is one of the reasons why the relationship between them and Marvel was so sour compared to the much more friendly relationship between Marvel and Sony.

Late to respond, and not that it matters much anymore since Disney now owns Fox, so Marvel has all it's X-men properties/rights back.
But I thought Fox and Marvel had a 50/50 deal on Merchandise, but Marvel had the manufacturing rights of those merchandise, and therefore chose not to produce much of anything if anything at all related to FoX-Men movies.
So basically Fox was getting nothing from the merch because Marvel/Disney wasn't producing anything for them to get a share of.

was that incorrect?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
We can napkin math it all we like but it'll be up to the internals if they decide sticking with this world, in either a smaller-scale followup or the big adventure movie, is profitable for them.

I hope some exec gets ballsy enough to go forward with a big Pokemon adventure movie.

However, it was said in another thread that it was, The Pokemon Company itself that didn't agree to a trainer movie and that Detective Pikachu was actually something they had to settle for as a result.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I think whether or not we see some Pokemon follow ups is how lucrative Legendary/WB sees the franchise. I think starting with something small like Detective Pikachu was smart from a business sense but maybe not a fan sense. It let them test the waters on if people would even respond to a live action Pokemon movie at all, and I think the numbers at the very least show that they do, just maybe not this Pokemon movie. The decently-sized opening and initial interest showed that people will happily accept their take, but most people petered out when it became apparent it was kinda a weird kid's movie. And unless they do a hard reboot, they pretty much used Detective Pikachu to set the foundation for all the mechanics and avenues for their world: catching, battling, leagues, Pokemon designs, etc, without blowing their wad in the "big" movie and potentially screwing up. They can now just lightly tweak things while focusing mainly on plot and characters without worrying too much about figuring out the nitty gritty for the first time.

Pretty much this. A big upside is that Pokemon fans in general even lapsed fans from the 90s who only ever watched the anime, are loving this for what it was meant to be: A nostalgia trip and a proof of concept that a live-action world of Pokemon would be pretty fun to watch and not crazy at all. Much better than other things.

Hope it has enough legs for it to be profitable enough for Legendary and WB.

Oct 31, 2017
Late to respond, and not that it matters much anymore since Disney now owns Fox, so Marvel has all it's X-men properties/rights back.
But I thought Fox and Marvel had a 50/50 deal on Merchandise, but Marvel had the manufacturing rights of those merchandise, and therefore chose not to produce much of anything if anything at all related to FoX-Men movies.
So basically Fox was getting nothing from the merch because Marvel/Disney wasn't producing anything for them to get a share of.

was that incorrect?

Yes, that is incorrect. Fox owned a fair bit of the merch for FF and XMen and it wasn't just movie related merch either. Not sure about Deadpool.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I hope they don't push out Pikachu too early. I want to see it but may not have a chance before the end of the month.
We'll see. I know there's some other movies on the horizon...
evsw9lG.png

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
People here overhyped Endgame with things like "$1BDOM/$3BWW train" and frankly I think that's more embarrassing than any Pokemon-related prediction.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
People here overhyped Endgame with things like "$1BDOM/$3BWW train" and frankly I think that's more embarrassing than any Pokemon-related prediction.
endgame actually looked like it might have a shot at 3bill after first weekend, pikachu hasn't tracked over 60m dom weekend ever and people were predicting billion worldwide and putting it up against toy story and frozen and shit.

Also @OrangeAtlas 150m budget film isn't really starting small

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
endgame actually looked like it might have a shot at 3bill after first weekend, pikachu hasn't tracked over 60m dom weekend ever and people were predicting billion worldwide and putting it up against toy story and frozen and shit.
To be fair, people initially predicted these things back when the first trailer got dropped to big numbers of views.

The public interest just dropped off after a while.

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

Also @OrangeAtlas 150m budget film isn't really starting small

Smaller scale perhaps. Detective Pikachu basically takes place in one city and a little exploration outside of that (and an expensive ending but whatever on that). You could conceivably go even smaller, but then at that point it's barely even a Pokemon movie. I think all these anime adaptations are going to inherently be expensive just because of how stylistic the worlds are, and if you want to tone all that down then, well, you get Dragonball Evolution. Coming out of the gate with the 8 gym badge/Pokemon League would have been way larger in scale and more of an "event" film than the two-person detective flick we got.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
Smaller scale perhaps. Detective Pikachu basically takes place in one city and a little exploration outside of that (and an expensive ending but whatever on that). You could conceivably go even smaller, but then at that point it's barely even a Pokemon movie. I think all these anime adaptations are going to inherently be expensive just because of how stylistic the worlds are, and if you want to tone all that down then, well, you get Dragonball Evolution. Coming out of the gate with the 8 gym badge/Pokemon League would have been way larger in scale and more of an "event" film than the two-person detective flick we got.

Right but Det Pika not setting the world on fire I think is a big block to scaling up to a full cg/live action pokemon movie like you are talking about. It would have to do insanely well from here for that film to get the go ahead. Probably alot better roi to just keep making 2d animated movies.

Mar 18, 2019
For those doubting the fact that Pokemon is the world's highest-grossing media franchise, here is a post I wrote in another thread:

Pokemon IS the world's biggest media IP. The list is well-sourced, with the numbers backed by reliable sources. But even if you don't trust it, there are plenty more sources that confirm it beyond that list. For example:
  • According to License Global, the Pokemon IP generated over $3.5 billion in licensed merchandise sales outside of Asia in 2017. In comparison, the Avengers generated just over $1.2 billion in worldwide licensed merchandise sales in 2017.
  • According to Toy World Magazine, the Pokemon IP was the world's top-selling toy brand in 2017, followed by Star Wars in second place.
  • According to License Global, the Pokemon Trading Card Game was the world's top-selling card game in 2017. It's sold more than 25 billion trading cards, surpassing Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic The Gathering.
  • Pokemon Go is the most-played video game of all time, with over 1 billion players worldwide, and 147M active players as of 2018.
  • Pokemon Go is one of the highest-grossing mobile games of all time, with over $3 billion in worldwide revenue.
  • Pokemon is the second best-selling video game franchise of all time, with more than 300M copies sold, behind only Mario.
The issue with this thread (and across much of the internet) is that so many fans simply failed to understand that selling a ton of toys, cards and games doesn't mean it's going to sell a ton of movie tickets. It should've been obvious from the weak box office performance of Christopher Robbins, which is based on Winnie the Pooh, one of the world's biggest media IPs which sells a ton of merchandise. Just because Winnie the Pooh sells a ton of toys to kids, that don't mean squat when it comes to the box office, where Christopher Robbins failed to make a dent. And now we're seeing something similar with Detective Pikachu, though it's certainly doing much better than Christopher Robbins.

FYI: I'm not a Pokemon fan. And I was predicting DP to gross around $500M worldwide.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Endgame will come closer to either of those things than Pikachu to a billion and they are literally the highest possible targets a film could reach.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
For those doubting the fact that Pokemon is the world's highest-grossing media franchise, here is a post I wrote in another thread:

I don't think anyone denies that Pokemon is currently the biggest media franchise in the world. Just from the fact that they crank out 10 million+ units sold for each of their games every holiday puts them in that conversation, not even factoring in licensing, cards, anime, pokemon go etc.

I think most are just poking fun at the fact that people were expecting all that to result in a billion dollar movie. it ain't that easy.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The film would need to have atrocious legs for there not to be another movie. It might not make much of a profit, but the most difficult part is taken care of. There's a lot of potential for growth now that they tested the waters and saw what worked and what didn't. They got the most important things right. Giving the sequel to a better writer and director could go a long way.

Besides, whatever they spent on P&A now will pay off over time when they have to promote sequels. It doesn't have a one-time effect.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit sad about Pikachu.

I wanted a PCU.

Mar 18, 2019
I don't think anyone denies that Pokemon is currently the biggest media franchise in the world. Just from the fact that they crank out 10 million+ units sold for each of their games every holiday puts them in that conversation, not even factoring in licensing, cards, anime, pokemon go etc.

I think most are just poking fun at the fact that people were expecting all that to result in a billion dollar movie. it ain't that easy.
There are a few who are doubting it recently, based on DP's underwhelming performance at the box office. Otherwise, I agree with you. It was absurd for people to think that just because Pokemon sells lots of games/cards/toys, that it would suddenly translate into box office blockbuster success. It didn't work out like that for Christopher Robbins (despite Winnie the Pooh being Disney's biggest merchandise seller), and neither would it work out like that for Detective Pikachu. Franchises like Pokemon and Winnie the Pooh sell a ton of merchandise because they have a safe "kiddie" image, yet that safe "kiddie" image is also what would prevent them from becoming major box office blockbusters.

Maybe this is a lesson for box office watchers. Just because a franchise sells a ton of video games, or cards, or toys, or merchandise, that doesn't mean it's a guaranteed blockbuster at the box office. And that's something future video game movies like Sonic and Mario will need to watch out for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.