• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Good, hopefully Disney stops with the "live action" remakes. I really hope that The Lion King severely underperforms.
The Lion King would have to be unfathomably shitty to not net at least a billi.

I do wonder what Disney plans to do after they run out of movies people give a shit about to remake. Dumbo is showing us right now that not all Disney properties are created equally, and once Mulan and The Little Mermaid come out, they'll be out of the big guns (save Snow White and *checks notes.....Peter Pan, I guess).

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

I do wonder what Disney plans to do after they run out of movies people give a shit about to remake. Dumbo is showing us right now that not all Disney properties are created equally, and once Mulan and The Little Mermaid come out, they'll be out of the big guns (save Snow White and *checks notes.....Peter Pan, I guess).
Live Action Toy Story.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
really. three people mentioning Catwoman and not a single gif?

O93VQsC.gif

catball255r6c.gif

catwomanthrust.gif

there now there is one for each of your posts. for shame

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Easy. They move on to live action Pixar films. And then modern Walt Disney animation films.

Get ready for live action Frozen in 10 years.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The LEGO Movie franchise just bottomed out. I don't know what happened there. It's bizarre.

I never understood what I was supposed to be getting from a Lego film. I mean, Lego bricks are great. They fit together well and it's a great way to stimulate imaginative play in your kids.

When the Lego film was on television once I tried watching it. It was boring so I stopped. If my children were still small I might have paid more attention.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Nobody goes to the movies as a chore. And a movie certainly doesn't get to 1.03 billion because of it.

The movie is obviously resonating with a lot of people in ways it didn't with you. It's has healthy drops each weekend.

Head to the End Game ticket sale thread, plenty of posters buying tickets who don't like Marvel movies. People are going to see the movie because they don't want to feel left out of the conversation. People have been hate watching GoT for the exact same reason.

I felt like I needed to see Captain Marvel because it was the last movie before End Game. Without that tie in I definitely would not have paid to see it. There are lots of people going to see it for the same reason "I need to see this so I'm ready for Avengers". It was smart on Marvel's part.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think Catwoman has a certain level of infamy. It's one of those truly awful movies you kind of can't ignore.

Elektra though? Yeah, no one talks about that movie. I don't think I even know anyone who's seen it.
I use to have the DVD, don't know how i came to own it

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much the lack of any big stars hurt Shazam at the box office. I mean, even Ant-Man, if we're going to use that comparison, certainly had more big stars than Shazam.

Love Zachary Levi, but him being probably the biggest star in the movie says a lot. He's pretty much just known as an actor in a [very fun] show that hardly anybody watched and a voice actor in a Disney movie.

Oct 27, 2017
Lego movie 2 was almost as clever as its predecessor. But, the first half of the movie is more like a rock opera style than plot-moving-along. Difficult to advertise and show set-pieces for, unlike the first movie which had tons of (lego stop-motion) action scenes.

Shazam! is a movie about a kid getting superpowers. These types of movies don't seem to do spectacularly well overall, when compared to movies about an already-ripped superhero adult. (The last one before this, "The Kid Who Would Be King" was good but couldn't generate any buzz)

But Shazam! has enough good thematic elements, and lots of heart, that will carry it through a decent run. Being a good DC movie sitting in the middle of so much movie-franchise uncertainty will cause some downward pressure on total earnings, I think.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
My brother-in-law was going to see Shazam today. He asked me if I wanted to go, but I don't really have any interest in it. I haven't watched any of the DC movies since Wonder Woman.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
I think Catwoman has a certain level of infamy. It's one of those truly awful movies you kind of can't ignore.

Elektra though? Yeah, no one talks about that movie. I don't think I even know anyone who's seen it.

The first legit female SH movie was Supergirl (1984) which I kinda liked when I saw it the first time. :p It's probably because I was a huge Supes fan at the time so I wanted more of that krypton mythology.

The resume of female SH films was so poor until WW and CM:

Supergirl
Tank Girl
Cat Woman
Elektra
Aeon Flux (remember that one?)

XD

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much the lack of any big stars hurt Shazam at the box office. I mean, even Ant-Man, if we're going to use that comparison, certainly had more big stars than Shazam.

Love Zachary Levi, but him being probably the biggest star in the movie says a lot. He's pretty much just known as an actor in a [very fun] show that hardly anybody watched and a voice actor in a Disney movie.

I don't think star power really makes a significant dent in the box office these days. Shazam as a character isn't really a household name and the way it was marketed made it seem like quaint coming of age comedy vs a big blockbuster that you need to see opening weekend.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017

they will likely remake DUMBO one more time, but this time truer to 1:1. And it's not like Disney isn't churning out original hits. Are we forgetting about Frozen and Enchanted?

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
The first legit female SH movie was Supergirl (1984) which I kinda liked when I saw it the first time. :p It's probably because I was a huge Supes fan at the time so I wanted more of that krypton mythology.

The resume of female SH films was so poor until WW and CM:

Supergirl
Tank Girl
Cat Woman
Elektra
Aeon Flux (remember that one?)

XD
Man there was an Aeon Flux movie. I just remembered the cartoon they used to play on MTV2 sometimes.

hussmk

Oct 29, 2017
Disney are making The Jungle Book 2, so I think they will focus on making sequels to some of the successful live-action remakes once they run out of classics.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Disney are making The Jungle Book 2, so I think they will focus on making sequels to some of the successful live-action remakes once they run out of classics.

Sigh. Disney is one of the most boring ass production houses in existence. Hope Fox Searchlight does not get neutered in their watch.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Head to the End Game ticket sale thread, plenty of posters buying tickets who don't like Marvel movies. People are going to see the movie because they don't want to feel left out of the conversation. People have been hate watching GoT for the exact same reason.

I felt like I needed to see Captain Marvel because it was the last movie before End Game. Without that tie in I definitely would not have paid to see it. There are lots of people going to see it for the same reason "I need to see this so I'm ready for Avengers". It was smart on Marvel's part.

Or you know, the majority of people really liked Captain Marvel and it appealed to a certain demographic of people.

Also hate watching something doesn't get you to a billion dollars, you can ask Batman v Superman that.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Or you know, the majority of people really liked Captain Marvel and it appealed to a certain demographic of people.

Also hate watching something doesn't get you to a billion dollars, you can ask Batman v Superman that.
The "pay 20 dollars to be mad at something" is small but vocal.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I think a lot of ppl just thought it looked too silly. That's the take I got from talking to ppl about it
The trailers (save the first one) didn't sell the dramatic beats at all. It also doesn't help that the movie doesn't have a big 3rd CGI spectacle to throw in the trailers like most comic movies. There's nothing like the Karathen or Carol going super sayian on some ships to throw in the trailer.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Shazam is fine, they didn't go crazy on the budget. Y'all need to be saving taht energy for next week when hellboy goes double Balsa Wood at the box office

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
If Shazam can make between U$560 Million and U$640 Million worldwide, it will have done like 7~8 it's costs, which is U$80 Million.

That's an amazing success!!!

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
The movie isn't bad but it's not great either. It was cheesy and felt like it was made for little kids. I'm over 40 and love super hero movies but this one reminded me of Skyhigh that cheesy Kurt Russell movie. Keep feeling it's a DC over correction.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Shazam will do just fine! It has the next two weekends all to itself!"

**Hellboy quietly weeps in the corner**

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Shazam can make between U$560 Million and U$640 Million worldwide, it will have done like 7~8 it's costs, which is U$80 Million.

That's an amazing success!!!

Why on earth would you think it could make $560 - $640m WW? What sort of crazy math are you doing?

It'll do anywhere from $350 - $450m. On a $100m budget.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

I never said the majority of people didn't enjoy the movie. The poster said nobody goes to the movies as a chore when in this case that certainly included a notable percentage of the viewers. Don't kid yourself into thinking there wasn't a portion of the viewing audience who went to see it strictly because it was the lead in to one of the most anticipated movies in history

dang0

Oct 28, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
To be mildly fair to DC, Shazam was owned by another company who went out of business after Superman became more popular. DC eventually bought up the rights, but not before they lost the trademark to the name Captain Marvel.

Actually Fawcett comics went out of business because DC sued them over Captain Marvel supposedly ripping off Superman. Fawcett wasn't allowed to use their most popular character. That's why the trademark was lost.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Shazam is a fine movie (I enjoyed it) and I'm sure it will do very well but it did feel like it's aimed at a younger audience though, with it's type of humour, so it might not do as well as some of the more recent bigger, better superhero movies.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
The movie isn't bad but it's not great either. It was cheesy and felt like it was made for little kids. I'm over 40 and love super hero movies but this one reminded me of Skyhigh that cheesy Kurt Russell movie. Keep feeling it's a DC over correction.

I think you're confusing this with the MCU lol. Some scenes in Shazam were darker and more violent than anything in both the MCU and DCEU.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I never said the majority of people didn't enjoy the movie. The poster said nobody goes to the movies as a chore when in this case that certainly included a notable percentage of the viewers. Don't kid yourself into thinking there wasn't a portion of the viewing audience who went to see it strictly because it was the lead in to one of the most anticipated movies in history
Sure, but not any signigicant portion. If that was true then Ant-Man and the Wasp would've hit a billion too.