• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Wait what? There's no conspiracy in the fact that a lot of theaters have primarily 3D showings. It may not be the case everywhere, but in my experience, it's harder to find showings in 2D than 3D unless the 2D showings are completely plain (no IMAX, no Dolby Digital, etc.). 2D IMAX showings are very hard to come by.
Most theaters near me don't even have close to "primarily 3D showings". 2D premium formats and regular 2D make up the vast majority of showings these days. The only thing I'd agree on is the frequency of 2D IMAX showings compared to 3D and even then IMAX accounts for one screen per theater at most so it's not even like that discrepancy is enough to tip the scales to mainly 3D showings being offered.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I always skip the 3D showing if I can since it's usually more expensive and I don't personally feel like it adds much.. is the 3D in EG done well?

I got a 2nd showing (Dolby Cinema whatever that is) tomorrow night, and it's fully booked. I looked at the local theater this morning and only a couple of seats sold.. but it's a Monday morning lol.
The 3D is good, but there are only a handful of scenes through much of the movie that benefit...that is, until the 3rd act. Then the 3D in the action of the climax is great and staged to make things pop.

People saying it didn't add anything at all probably weren't paying attention to that scene.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Please. Stop punching down so much.

It outgrossed Aquaman domestic and worldwide in one weekend. The biggest grossing dc film.

Are there any (prominent) DC fans still salty about Marvel's success? I thought that ship had sailed and sunk a long time ago now.

DC / WB is slowly getting their act together. They have the pieces to build this level of success, someday, if they don't rush it and don't force it. No need to rub it in, at least to anyone not asking for it. This movie outgrossed all the early Marvel films too, of course.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Are there any (prominent) DC fans still salty about Marvel's success? I thought that ship had sailed and sunk a long time ago now.

DC / WB is slowly getting their act together. They have the pieces to build this level of success, someday, if they don't rush it and don't force it. No need to rub it in, at least to anyone not asking for it. This movie outgrossed all the early Marvel films too, of course.
Yes. It also did 1.67 domestic and 3.11 worldwide Solos this weekend!

Or you could also say the OW domestic for Endgame was Infinity War + Iron Man 1.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Lol dude that's my theatre as well.
tenor.gif

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
2 theatres by me sold out for all reasonable show times, non-front row seats Mon-Thurs lol...this is bonkers

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm just browsing though AMC trying to get an idea of how many people are seeing Endgame tonight, and a ton of the screenings are still 80-90% sold out. For a Monday night! I have to say I am more curious about how well the movie is doing on weekdays than I was about opening weekend.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm just browsing though AMC trying to get an idea of how many people are seeing Endgame tonight, and a ton of the screenings are still 80-90% sold out. For a Monday night! I have to say I am more curious about how well the movie is doing on weekdays than I was about opening weekend.

The writing was on the wall for this past weekend to be historic. I'm really interested to see if the movie can surpass $200m at the box office in the second weekend, personally. Some really intriguing storylines going forward, now that the humongous first few days are behind us.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Lots of people who didn't get the chance to see Endgame last weekend are taking the day off. I wouldn't be surprised if Endgame ends up with the best legs in MCU history.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Endgame was a very special theater experience, it deserves all this money. It was the first time in my 29 years of life that I felt that I was really watching an "event" film.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this has the holds in China BOT are suggesting, I predict Endgame will outgross Infinity War by this Sunday.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people who didn't get the chance to see Endgame last weekend are taking the day off. I wouldn't be surprised if Endgame ends up with the best legs in MCU history.
I have been thinking the opposite -- that the legs won't be so good, that Endgame is going to be particularly front-loaded since people were eager to see the previous film's cliffhanger ending get resolved, and wanted to avoid/negate the spoilers that would become pervasive after this weekend. They've succeeded in getting every Marvel fan to see the movie in the first weekend, whereas previously folks would probably wait a couple weeks.

I guess it remains to be seen how much the film resonates beyond its usual audience, and whether or not the more casual audience gets drawn in for subsequent days and weeks. Looking good so far though, if they can fill up theaters on a Monday.

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Saw it yesterday, and this is the first Marvel film since Winter Solider I might actually watch again in theaters. Later, of course, when there are somewhat better seats.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I have been thinking the opposite -- that the legs won't be so good, that Endgame is going to be particularly front-loaded since people were eager to see the previous film's cliffhanger ending get resolved, and wanted to avoid/negate the spoilers that would become pervasive after this weekend. They've succeeded in getting every Marvel fan to see the movie in the first weekend, whereas previously folks would probably wait a couple weeks.

I guess it reminds to be seen how much the film resonates beyond its usual audience, and whether or not the more casual audience gets drawn in for subsequent days and weeks. Looking good so far though, if they can fill up theaters on a Monday.
Plus I'm skeptical that theaters are going to be willing to continue showings at 2AM for a second weekend

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

I guess it reminds to be seen how much the film resonates beyond its usual audience, and whether or not the more casual audience gets drawn in for subsequent days and weeks. Looking good so far though, if they can fill up theaters on a Monday.
Also a fair take. We're in uncharted territory here. I would say the same thing if it were not for that A+ Cinemascore, which makes me think that Endgame could have stronger legs than expected for such a fan-focused film.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Plus I'm skeptical that theaters are going to be willing to continue showings at 2AM for a second weekend

They don't need to run showtimes at 2:00 AM for a $200m weekend. We know that, because other movies have done it without those showings. It's not going to do $360m it's second weekend. No one expects that.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
So do you guys think Spiderman is going to get a big EG bump when his movie comes out? Homecoming did 334 domestic and 880 worldwide. If it's a good movie I'd be surprised now if it didn't do Captain Marvel numbers or close to it at least.

Last edited:

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The writing was on the wall for this past weekend to be historic. I'm really interested to see if the movie can surpass $200m at the box office in the second weekend, personally. Some really intriguing storylines going forward, now that the humongous first few days are behind us.
I think about a 60% drop is in order. I could see a 150m second weekend

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So do you guys think Spiderman is going to get a big EG bump when his movie comes out? Homecoming did 334 domestic and 880 worldwide. If it's a good movie I'd be surprised now if it didn't do Captain Marvel a numbers or close to it at least.
Yeah for sure .
Everyone wants to know how the saga continues. I think it will surpass Captain Marvel.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Check the Facebook comments on any endgame article

They're full of stupid criticisms and "Shazam was better"

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Early Mon #s seem to put it in the $37-40m range...if that's accurate we're going to see the first $1b dom movie.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Forget the weekend how do these weekdays have to go to set new records? Didn't TFA take the records for biggest first Monday and Tuesday?

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do you guys think Spiderman is going to get a big EG bump when his movie comes out? Homecoming did 334 domestic and 880 worldwide. If it's a good movie I'd be surprised now if it didn't do Captain Marvel numbers or close to it at least.

I think Spiderman will hit a billy worldwide. People were going nuts for Spiderman when he came back on screen during both times I went to see endgame on the weekend. I think Spiderman will get the IM3 bump. It might do 1.2

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just we went to buy one for this Sunday and I got the last seat not in the front 2 rows

It was at 2:20

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Spidey I think might actually mess up my Top 5 box office films of the year list. But hey, history has told me to never bet against Pokemon.

Kwhit10

Oct 27, 2017
So for the 2nd weekend will the total be a true Friday to Sunday revenue number? Or will the Thursday number be rolled into Friday like the opening weekend 'previews' ?

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah for sure .
Everyone wants to know how the saga continues. I think it will surpass Captain Marvel.

Yeah I feel like plenty of people will go just to get a minor update on this post snap world and maybe some words about certain heroes.

Thinking about it again, I think it will pass CM by a decent amount as well and be in IM3/BP territory world wide.

Oct 27, 2017
~$40m non-holiday Monday? Jesus Christ. That's TFA-like numbers which was during Christmas week. Even IW dropped down to 24m after having the previous biggest opener. This weekend will be something else.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if it will do Iron Man 3 numbers, but it will get a bump from Endgame just like IM3 got from Avengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.