• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Our crowd was cold and dead, like we were surrounded by dour Europeans. No response at all to anything.

As a Canadian, thank god. I'm not paying money for people's hot takes and conversations. I'm there to watch a movie I paid money for. Cheering is one thing, shouting or conversations? Give me my money back. Canadians HATE US movie culture.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm prepared to eat crow, I didn't think it was possible yet for a film to make this much money straight out the gate. Figured it would make slightly more than IW did last year, but dayum.

Now lets see if it can topple Avatar.
This isn't meant to be a rub-in-your-face reply but I can't understand why some downplayed how much this thing was going to make. The hype and excitement around Endgame is leagues more than any MCU film including Infinity War. Everyone and their mother was going to see it. To think it'd only do slightly better than IW was never realistic imo lol.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Detective Pikachu is targeting a lot of millennials. With how huge the IP is it's gotta hit at least a $70-$80m on OW, if the critic reviews are good. I almost want to say this will hit close to Shazam's domestic number on OW.

I think it'll outdo Shazam easily, I'm just dismissing the huge hyped numbers.

On another note, add me to the 3B train, if somebody is keeping track. I felt it would be cheap to join the 1B OW train in the last couple weeks after initially dismissing that.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't meant to be a rub-in-your-face reply but I can't understand why some downplayed how much this thing was going to make. The hype and excitement around Endgame is leagues more than any MCU film including Infinity War. Everyone and their mother was going to see it. To think it'd only do slightly better than IW was never realistic imo lol.

it's easy to say this now, which everyone seems to be doing. But few would have said this or even thought this a week ago. IMO, the ones downplaying are those acting like $100m+ over IW isn't absolute insanity.

i mean just Friday most BO insiders were saying EG's Saturday cap was $95m, lol

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of money Disney is going to make this year between Captain Marvel, Endgame, Lion King, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, Maleficient 2, Spiderman, Star Wars, and Disney+....they can start a new country of their own.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I had it on par with IW. I don't think anyone thought it would blow up this big.

Just felt the same people who saw the last one would see this one and didn't expect everyone and their mother would see it.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell. What was the second highest grossing movie domestically for opening weekend? Has anything else even come close to $300 mil let alone $350??

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
it's easy to say this now, which everyone seems to be doing. But few would have said this or even thought this a week ago. IMO, the ones downplaying are those acting like $100m+ over IW isn't absolute insanity.

i mean just Friday most BO insiders were saying EG's Saturday cap was $95m, lol
I had it on par with IW. I don't think anyone thought it would blow up this big.

Just felt the same people who saw the last one would see this one and didn't expect everyone and their mother would see it.
I don't know...I genuinely figured it'd be MASSIVE simply right after Infinity War killed it at the BO. I never estimated by how much because I'm no BO expert but still. And once those Fandango pre-ticket sales outpacing IW by 5:1...yeah it was clear we were kind of in uncharted territory.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know...I genuinely figured it'd be MASSIVE simply right after Infinity War killed it at the BO. I never estimated by how much because I'm no BO expert but still. And once those Fandango pre-ticket sales outpacing IW by 5:1...yeah it was clear we were kind of in uncharted territory.

Well, yeah, but this was before the tickets went on sale. At least for me.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm still shook at someone thinking the next thing to come close to this would be "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"... like whaaaa?
Only in retrospect will people see how rare and momentous an event like this is. A decade. 22 films. That's probably once once in a lifetime stuff... until the next phase anyway

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Terance Howard looking at what all this has become rn.
1nq29n8s5zl21.gif

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Holy hell. What was the second highest grossing movie domestically for opening weekend? Has anything else even come close to $300 mil let alone $350??

Infinity War at 257
TFA at 247
TLJ at 220
Jurassic World at 208
Avengers at 207
Black Panther at 202

You seeing the pattern, with one exception?
Disney has way too much goddamn money

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Just leave some room for John Wick 3 and Godzilla, Avengers. I want these movies to succeed!

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha glad I joined the 1 billion hype train and the Avatar gross bet. Honestly endgame deserves it, fantastic movie and a perfect capper on a decade of films.

Farewell kswiss, you are an amazing analyst and you will be missed but life is always more important.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I checked one of my local multiplexes for Endgame showings today (I took this screenshot around 3:30PM)...

da4cY5a.png

9tALg9A.png

(The showings with strikethroughs / lines crossed out are showings that sold out of tickets.)

zbe.gif

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even as a huge mcu fan I didn't think theaters had the capacity for this big of an opening. Plus it's hard to gauge hype when everyone I know was already as hyped as can be for infinity war

I started to think this was gonna break the record even with the runtime when I saw the AM screenings around me were selling out and normally my theaters don't even have AM screenings (don't think they had them for IW)

Edit: oh also I thought the runtime would limit the amount of showings theaters could do

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real answer to this is that nobody had any idea just how aggressive Disney's engagement with exhibitors was.

The amount of screens that Disney managed to procure for Endgame is literally unprecedented. They've secured a bucketload more screens than any other blockbuster ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.