• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
of course some movie we never heard of will win best picture, and this will be up for a token gesture nom because they can't ignore it. That's a big reason why people don't care about the Oscars much anymore.

Ouch, this take is hot.

Pro-tip, if you are going to even bring up the Oscars, try to pay attention to movies outside blockbusters. And if you aren't going to do that, why bring up Oscars at all?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
kswiston
godspeed-spider-man-1.gif

Oct 31, 2017
What's the worst MCU legs and which one is it?

Also...how much does it do OW WW without counting China?

DOM is CW with 2.28x. I'm still flabbergastted by how low that multiplier was, but I guess that movie was seen as a filler.

WW is harder to know because Marvel used to do staggered releases. I think they'll do WW releases going forward. Especially with piracy nowadays and how easy it is to stream bootlegged versions.

Speaking of CW though, I think CM has a shot of passing it WW, which is saying something.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
*whistles* That's one mighty box office opening!

And thank you for contributing to the box office threads kswis. More of a lurky of these threads as well, but good to know what's going on. Wishing you the best of luck in life!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Not this shit again. So it should win an Oscar because it makes a lot of money? It's a very good movie but Infinity War it ain't. So if anything that movie would have deserved a nomination instead of fucking Black Panther.

???

Endgame is a far better movie than Infinity War. And Black Panther is better than either of them.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
$2B by next Sunday seems like a decent possibility. May 1st lands on Wednesday, so a lot of countries are going to have holiday grosses during the weekdays.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When calculating legs, are people using domestic OW or worldwide? This non staggered WW launch is pretty atypical for Marvel isn't it? How many Marvel movies launched in (basically) all the markets at once?

Enjoy your MovieERA retirement kswiss

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not this shit again. So it should win an Oscar because it makes a lot of money? It's a very good movie but Infinity War it ain't. So if anything that movie would have deserved a nomination instead of fucking Black Panther.
Not sure what's funnier about this post, Infinity war being some great movie or the idea that black panther was some disgusting film unworthy of recognition.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell that is a lot of cheddar. Disney loves the Marvel acquisition 3000.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Brie and Sam Jackson are now the actors with the single biggest box office week in history.

Oct 26, 2017
Feige is 100% the most successful producer in history. Tell me otherwise.

We're gonna be okay, Kswis.
You can rest now.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
$2B by next Sunday seems like a decent possibility. May 1st lands on Wednesday, so a lot of countries are going to have holiday grosses during the weekdays.

How does it do $2B by it's second weekend and not pass Avatar? I guess we'll see how this plays out but man, if it's already knocking on Titanic's door by next Sunday this is going to be damn close.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna keep saying it..... y'all who didn't believe it would make a run at Avatar were wrong. It's gonna have legs, too.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
RDJ 100% deserves a best actor nomination. If Johnny Depp got one for Captain Jack Sparrow RDJ should get one for Tony Stark. Performance is iconic.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
kswiston

Just actually read the OP and I'm really sad to see you go, but you sure picked one fantastic weekend to go out on!

Thank you for all the great work setting these things up, and I hope in the future you still visit the box office threads from time to time. Your knowledge always adds incredible value to these discussions.

Oct 25, 2017
I though TFA was teaching what was possible with an opening weekend. This is beyond any expectation I've had.

Can this be topped in our lifetimes? Another decade of films leading to a massive event film?!?

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Spider-Man made over 100 million in a weekend to have the highest opening weekend ever?

That was crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.