• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 19, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

4Px35Ck.png

ajokaEe.png

3k1RYZG.png

TmLkGan.png

889W8Hk.png

'Onward' Seeing Blasé $40M Domestic Opening, $68M WW: Are Coronavirus Fears Impacting B.O.?
Disney/Pixar's Onward saw an estimated $16.56M on Saturday, a growth of 36% over Friday's result, putting this morning's industry estimate at $40.4M. While that result is at the lower end of Pixar openings and the pic's tracking, even for an original movie, given how high the Emeryville, CA studio raises the bar, don't blame the coronavirus scare for these results. It's the film itself.

However, all theaters are open in the U.S. and Canada, and many of those in distribution tell me that if a four-quad movie like Disney's Mulan greatly misses its mark, that's when the industry will have an even greater concern whether coronavirus fears are impacting ticket sales stateside.
It regards to the coronavirus impacting overseas results for Onward, well, that's another story.Onward came in with $28M from 47 material territories, for a 62% footprint of the foreign market. That's far below the $40M-$55M our overseas prognosticators were forecasting. That puts the global start of Onward at a paltry $68M.

There are several signals that we're seeing that it's business as usual out there right now: First, Saturday's business was up for all movies over Friday, with the top 10 seeing an average 61% spike. More dollars were spent, hence more people went out. Next, the overall box office this weekend for all titles is now looking like it will do around $100.8M in the tenth frame of 2020, which is 1.4% higher than last weekend. Second, Onward's Friday came in better than expected, with $12.2M over the $11.3M we were spotting on Friday evening.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE
gXAzfsl.png

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
It seems Marketing for onward has been meh. I don't think the kids even know about the movie

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Pity that Portrait of a Lady on Fire didn't catch on more. It's a really excellent film. I had hoped that American audiences would be a little more accepting of foreign language films after Parasite did so well.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sonic is beating Pikachu in domestic gross by next weekend unless every movie theater between now and then suddenly goes up in flames. It's inevitable.

Need to make time to see Onward, heard a lot of people say the trailers barely cover anything after the first half-hour and that the ending blows the rest of the movie away. Also that Simpsons short, the last one was great.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Pity that Portrait of a Lady on Fire didn't catch on more. It's a really excellent film. I had hoped that American audiences would be a little more accepting of foreign language films after Parasite did so well.

It's still got a pretty Limited release here. It's only in 334 theaters in the US with 66 of those theaters being new to this week. The cut-off for Wide is 600+.

It's been doing well in the theaters it is playing at with the per-theater average being the 7th best this week and almost at the same level as Call of the Wild. Anecdotally it's been well-attended at my local theaters that it is showing at.

Great movie, deserves to be seen by more.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, hope Way Back isn't too big a bomb. Sounds like it's a solid film, but not something that will grab mainstream attention.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you are curious why Pixar has been doing lots of a sequels and not new IPs, well, look at Onwards results here.

Onward is a fun film so hopefully it holds well for the upcoming weeks. But not a great opening start for it. I imagine Pixar probably has more hope for Soul though considering that's getting the prime time Summer Release.

Obviously not a fair comparison given current world events, but Pikachu's record of $413 million worldwide will probably be out of reach for Sonic I assume.

Believe you mean Warcraft's Record of $439 million worldwide will be out of reach for Sonic, no?

Yeah China REALLY liked Warcraft.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
If you are curious why Pixar has been doing lots of a sequels and not new IPs, well, look at Onwards results here.

Onward is a fun film so hopefully it holds well for the upcoming weeks. But not a great opening start for it. I imagine Pixar probably has more hope for Soul though considering that's getting the prime time Summer Release.
Coco was their last original film and it did 200m domestically and 800m worldwide. If Disney is expecting Incredibles and Toy Story level of success with every film that's completely on them.

Onward is a disappointment but saying it's the fault of being an original film is dumb. It's like saying Walt Disney animation should only make princess films cause Frozen makes so much bank.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
By the time Mulan releases coronavirus will be a big enough issue in the states that it is a valid excuse.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Coco was their last original film and it did 200m domestically and 800m worldwide. If Disney is expecting Incredibles and Toy Story level of success with every film that's completely on them.

Onward is a disappointment but saying it's the fault of being an original film is dumb. It's like saying Walt Disney animation should only make princess films cause Frozen makes so much bank.

Pixar is in a position, because of how they make movies, that they can't really make a movie for less than $125-150M, so every swing by them has to be comparatively big. And not every big original idea is gonna be a hit, not matter who you are.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
What a world we live in that Bad Boys for life is the highest grossing film of the year so far. Total surprise. Coronavirus really affecting the numbers this week I think - I'm sure more films are going to be delayed.

Oct 26, 2017
Between the coronavirus concerns and the movie looking sorta generic, I'm not shocked that Onward didn't light the box office on fire.