• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Forbes: 'Alita: Battle Angel' Avoids Major Write-Down And Could Get a Sequel

All things considered, it's pretty impressive what 'Alita' managed to do in the face of adversity.

Breaking even is a hell of an achievement for that film, but there's no way in hell it gets anything else besides a new anime going. Cameron was the force behind that movie for decades before it actually happened, and he's going to be busy with Avatar for the rest of his Directing life.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Breaking even is a hell of an achievement for that film, but there's no way in hell it gets anything else besides a new anime going. Cameron was the force behind that movie for decades before it actually happened, and he's going to be busy with Avatar for the rest of his Directing life.

That's James "Avatar" Cameron to you

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't fuck with adjusting for inflation. If you do that, Gone with the wind is the highest grossing film ever and that is not something I want.

I mean, it's just a really bad way to compare films, and it's mostly just an attempt to calculate overall ticket sales without actually thinking about what that actually means.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What happens when someone tries to adjust for inflation.
WickedWarlikeAfricancivet-size_restricted.gif

How exactly are you supposed to compare box office really then, inflation plays a role, unless you're going to limit any comparison to like a 10 year cut off.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I mean, it's just a really bad way to compare films, and it's mostly just an attempt to calculate overall ticket sales without actually thinking about what that actually means.
Yeah, especially because different economies have resulted in different ways to sell movies. Levelling an uneven playing field just makes for inaccurate data.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going by ticket sales, Avengers Infinity War isn't even a top 30 movie domestically

https://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/top-movie-ticket-sellers-of-all-time/

It's below Star Wars, Empire, Jedi, Phantom Menace, The Force Awakens, Titanic, Avatar, and hell even Grease, The Lion King, and The Graduate.

Those numbers are more than likely bullshit to, unless they have the internal numbers from the studio.

You want to know why? Because there isn't one standard price for movie tickets, and there never has been. Almost all of these calculations basically take the Domestic gross of the movie and divide it by the average ticket price for that year, and don't account for any other factors.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those numbers are more than likely bullshit to, unless they have the internal numbers from the studio.

You want to know why? Because there isn't one standard price for movie tickets, and there never has been. Almost all of these calculations basically take the Domestic gross of the movie and divide it by the average ticket price for that year, and don't account for any other factors.

What other metric do you want to use? The average ticket price per year is about as good as you're gonna get. The fact of the matter is in terms of ticket sales Avengers IW is probably no where close to having the most tickets sold in domestic terms at least. There may some skewing a few spots, but a movie that's 33rd overall domestically isn't going to magically shoot up to spot 10 or something.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
What other metric do you want to use? The average ticket price per year is about as good as you're gonna get. The fact of the matter is in terms of ticket sales Avengers IW is probably no where close to having the most tickets sold in domestic terms at least.
When the industry has collectively decided to base things off of revenue pulled in and not tickets sold, why would we not look at revenue?

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
What other metric do you want to use? The average ticket price per year is about as good as you're gonna get. The fact of the matter is in terms of ticket sales Avengers IW is probably no where close to having the most tickets sold in domestic terms at least. There may some skewing a few spots, but a movie that's 33rd overall domestically isn't going to magically shoot up to spot 10 or something.

If you want to make an attempt at comparing movies from different eras, best suggestion would be to try to compare how much more popular they were compared to other movies released during the same time period. It still shows that ET making $350M in 1982 or Forrest Gump making $320M in 1994 is more impressive than Jumanji making $400M in 2017/2018, but with much less wonky math to do it.

Edit: kswiston actually had this really cool stat that he used back at the old site where he calculated the average gross of a wide release movie for every year, and then you'd calculate each movie for the year as a multiple of that. Because what you're actually trying to do when you have these discussions is argue about breakouts and cultural relevance across eras, and how much more popular a movie was than its peers is a good way to look at that.

Last edited:

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
How exactly are you supposed to compare box office really then, inflation plays a role, unless you're going to limit any comparison to like a 10 year cut off.

I have a suggestion. We don't. At least we don't compare anything longer than 10 years or so. Every few years something happens that completely screws up trying to compare films.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm really pulling for this, if only because it might demoralize Cameron from working on Avatar & he bounces out of his contract to make an Alita sequel.

Somehow.
Sure. Cameron is going to be so upset over not being #1 anymore that he is going to go make a sequel to a film that didnt do a quarter of the business.

Suuuurrrrrre.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
MCU stans finding evidence that Endgame will be bigger than Titanic and Avatar

giphy.gif

Hmm, Infinity War was already close enough to Titanic so I wouldn't be too surprised if it did get to the number 2 spot.

Avatar though is a different story... still have no idea how that thing got so big or if anything can ever beat it.

In this age of mega franchises, only something like Endgame could beat it but we'll see if it does.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Hmm, Infinity War was already close enough to Titanic so I wouldn't be too surprised if it did get to the number 2 spot.

Avatar though is a different story... still have no idea how that thing got so big or if anything can ever beat it.

In this age of mega franchises, only something like Endgame could beat it but we'll see if it does.
Took 12 years for one thing to beat Titanic. And 22 years for something else to even come close.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in amazement that Marvel managed to pull off getting finale event money twice.

Honestly same. I remember wondering before IW came out if audiences would feel burned after being built up it was "The End" only to have the film end on a cliffhanger

But the thing is Marvel / Russos executed that cliffhanger so incredibly well it didn't leave audiences feeling burned. It left them thirsty as fuck / dying to see how it all ends.

Its pretty astounding they were able to pull this off really

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Titanic is bigger than both Avatar and will be bigger than whatever Endgame finishes at.

Titanic destroys Infinity War's ticket sales. It's not even close.

Titanic is the biggest film of the last 30 years, Avatar and anything else needs inflation to end up with higher box office totals.

IMO if you really break it down, Titanic is still the king in post-1990 box office. The only way you can "beat" it is by using inflated ticket prices and general inflation from fewer actual movie goers.

Last edited:

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
in what we'd refer to as the modern era of cinema, titanic is still the biggest film of all time... even over avatar

i know in the PM endgame thread the star wars heads are backing their horse, but titanic stuck around FOREVER

i was 17 at the time, and still to this day i have never seen a film so big. honestly

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in what we'd refer to as the modern era of cinema, titanic is still the biggest film of all time... even over avatar

i know in the PM endgame thread the star wars heads are backing their horse, but titanic stuck around FOREVER

i was 17 at the time, and still to this day i have never seen a film so big. honestly

Yup I agree, if you look at actual ticket admissions and many other metric, nothing has beaten Titanic in the modern era. Not Avatar, not TFA, not anything.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Titanic and Avatar are just different beasts to anything else in the last 30-40 years. Avatar got that 3D bump but Titan was just on another planet to anything else, it can't really be compared. Films like Star Wars and Marvel have that mass-market, casual movie goer appeal, but there is another level beyond that which Titanic got to.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Shazaam comes out in 3 days.. what are y'all estimating?

I saw it with the fandango preview, packed theater, and I think it's gonna have great legs, even with Avengers coming out.

DOM: $70million open
$280million final.

WW: $650million final.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So happy for Battle Angel Alita. Was a great action movie. Made the upper goal of 400.000.000 and everything else is now bonus.

Cant wait for Part 2.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how this turned into Endgame versus Avatar. I was talking about the Avatar sequel. I don't think it will be as big as Endgame.

Avatar was huge, and probably not replicable.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't know how this turned into Endgame versus Avatar. I was talking about the Avatar sequel. I don't think it will be as big as Endgame.

Avatar was huge, and probably not replicable.

Sculli made an embarrassing post defending Saint Cameron in a weird attempt to detract from Endgame. Then he got kicked out.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Shazaam comes out in 3 days.. what are y'all estimating?

I saw it with the fandango preview, packed theater, and I think it's gonna have great legs, even with Avengers coming out.

DOM: $70million open
$280million final.

WW: $650million final.
Presales are awful even before Endgame took all the air out of the room. 45/130/500. Still good due to smart budgeting and sequel will do better as long as it isn't killed by scheduling again.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Titanic is bigger than both Avatar and will be bigger than whatever Endgame finishes at.

Titanic destroys Infinity War's ticket sales. It's not even close.

Titanic is the biggest film of the last 30 years, Avatar and anything else needs inflation to end up with higher box office totals.

IMO if you really break it down, Titanic is still the king in post-1990 box office. The only way you can "beat" it is by using inflated ticket prices and general inflation from fewer actual movie goers.
You can disapprove of this, but it is absolutely true; absolutely no one gives a shit about ticket sales. No one really cares about "adjusted for inflation" either, only temporarily when defending or attacking a movie they support/don't support having a certain gross.
Maybe they should, but they don't. Dollar gross is the only thing that interests people in Box Office. All the things people like to track relate solely to that, week to week drops, multipliers, per average theater gross, etc.

Nov 1, 2017
I think Endgame is gonna have worse legs than IW. IW didn't have any serious competition until Deadpool 2 in week 4 and the only other major competition in its first month was Solo and we all know how that went. Endgame has to deal with Detective Pikachu in week three and also has to deal with Aladdin and Godzilla in its first month. Plus it's gonna be more frontloaded due to IW's cliffhanger.