• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

JWcAUWS.png

niXcEbv.png

pwcsYrs.png

bDLrhKX.png

WxRo6Wt.png

'Lego Movie 2' Comes Apart With $34M+ Opening; 'What Men Want' Solid With $19M In Another Blasé B.O. Weekend

An over-saturated kids franchise pic, an overdone action star, and a low budget horror film aren't really creating a stampede at theaters this weekend. We're hearing that it's the lowest post-Super Bowl weekend in ten years. That's how much overall business stinks.

It's been weeks–literally since the holidays–since we've had a multitude of pics hit the marquee, and this is what we get: A whole-lotta ho-hum. Next week offers more of the same, specifically quality challenged fare, with the very expensive $170M-plus pic Alita: Battle Angel, another horror movie, Happy Death 2U, and Isn't It Romantic. Captain Marvel, seriously, where are you??

Paramount's What Men Want is doing respectable business in regards to its $20M cost (before P&A), with a studio-reported $19M weekend in second place off a $6.6M opening day. The result is a huge improvement for Oscar nominee Taraji P. Henson whose Proud Mary wasn't so happy last year with a low $9.9M opening. The R-rated comedy has the best audience reaction out of all the wide entries on PostTrak, with 4.5 stars and an 82% positive and a 69% recommend. African-Americans repped 41% of all moviegoers, followed by 28% Caucasian, 18% Hispanic and 7% Asian. This gender-flipped redo played best on the East Coast, along with the South. On CinemaScore, the Adam Shankman-directed comedy earned an 'A' from its core female audience and an A- from men. The A- is the same as Night School and About Last Night. Based on Comscore's PostTrack, the audience skewed female at 62% versus male at 38%. By age, the audience skewed older, with 67% over 25, but the majority were between 18-34 (62%).

Many believed that The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part could do $50M+, $40M+ at the very least. Not so with a studio-reported opening weekend of $34.4M. With those pre-Thursday previews, the result is $35M. While the result is +69% over Ninjago's $20.4M, it's down a huge 50% from the first 2014 movie, and -35% from Lego Batman. It's also far below those $50M-$55M projections from early this week. Business, thanks to matinees, was +83% on Saturday over Friday with $15.6M. The spike isn't good enough for what they turned in on Friday.

The Second Part played best in the west, midwest, and Canada. But even there, it was below expectations. Overall, PostTrak is 4 stars, which means audiences are enjoying The Second Part. Kids under 12 love it more at 4.5 stars and a 70% definite recommend. General audiences repped 43%, kids 39%, and parents 18%.

The next two wide entries are essentially balance sheet transactions, intended to make some cash, and not intended to over-index at the box office. Lionsgate's Cold Pursuit isn't running cold at the box office because of the headlines from Liam Neeson's reported racist statements; it's doing an estimated $10.8M per Lionsgate because he's made way too many man-with-the-gun movies. The result is $200K shy of the $11M opening for the actor's March 2015 Run All Night (which hooked an A- CinemaScore) and that finaled with a paltry $26.4M. Even though this one is supposed to have a Fargo tone, it looks like another man-with-the-gun movie…in the snow…with a snowplow. Neeson is in Nicolas Cage land now — in fact, he's been here for quite a while –where all of these pics have run their course stateside, and are financially structured for overseas audiences. Cold Pursuit's opening weekend is lower than last year's The Commuter ($13.7M, which only did a 2.6x multiple stateside for $36.3M, but made close to $120M WW off a $40M production cost). Both pics come to Lionsgate via a StudioCanal release deal. Lionsgate didn't shell out an MG, they just spent mid-teens for the P&A, and in regards to their books at the end of the day, they expect to break even, if not a bit better.

Three stars on PostTrak here. A low 42% definite recommend. Men over 25 came out at 44%, Females over 25 at 35%. Caucasians bought tickets at 59%, Hispanic at 17%, and African-Americans at 10%. Best play for the film was in the south and the west. CinemaScore doesn't come out until Monday nowadays. Save this one for the plane.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Aquaman - $1.120B
Bohemian Rhapsody - $844M
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $494M
Bumblebee - $458M
Mary Poppins Returns - $336M
Creed 2 - $208M
Glass - $222M
How to Train Your Dragon 3 - $139M
Escape Room - $108M
The Lego Movie - $53M
Alita: Battle Angel - $32M

The Wandering Earth (in China) - $298M in 6 days

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy that Spider-Verse is still hanging in there. All in all, it looks like it made a pretty solid haul.

Oct 27, 2017
Lego movie 2 was good, not as clever as the first but still pretty clever. The first half is more like a rock opera which people won't expect coming. But the spectacle of "everything built out of lego and I made my own movie out of legos" was all spent out in the first movie.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the Shorts Friday evening. It is a shame more people don't give them a chance, especially the live action shorts.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Does Alita have any interest outside of gamers? The anime style seems offputting to the masses. What's it tracking at?

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i don't care if alita makes one single dollar... that movie is a fantastic spectacle made with real care and attention

and as for alita herself, she's just the best

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The fact that it's going to make more money than Mary Poppins is crazy to me.

Not to start with anything. But Mary Poppins is to a very specific memory and generation with nostalgia, kids don't give a shit about Mary Poppins. So the movie didn't even really have the name benefit outside of a small subset. Spiderman on the other hand is....well it's spiderman, that's all that has to be said, its popularity has been gone over ad nauseum. PLUS it has the nostalgia factor for older fans. Saying a Mary Poppins movie should make more than a spiderman movie (even spinoff) is like saying the lone ranger movie should make more than antman

*Note: I picked antman because it's a "weaker" superhero property with lower gross to make the analogous to a spiderman spinoff

luca

Oct 25, 2017
$355 million ww seems like a nice enough haul for Into the Spider-Verse(?)

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to see Serenity but every theater basically dropped it lol wtf happened?

Can Aquaman reach 1.153b and overtake Civil War? It's a stretch but it'll be close.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The averages are strong for such a low theater count

Agreed. I think I'm more upset with the idea that more theaters don't give these a shot. I know that there will be more theaters showing them over the next two weeks, but when only ~5% of the nationwide theaters are showing it this weekend that doesn't help the narrative.

I also wish more theaters would take a chance with foreign films this time of year.

Dec 9, 2017
Alita shattering expectations right out of the gate. Its blown right past Jupiter Ascending, Mortal Engines, and Ghost in the Shell's International opening weekends. The sky is the limit.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't able to give Lego Movie 2 the CH bump last night. I completely forgot to go.

This opening weekend failure is on me. I'll have to go next weekend unless I can finish unpacking a few things today faster than I thought.

Alita I'm going to wait for additional word of mouth and a few people I know to say it's worth seeing. But I wish it luck.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
Alita shattering expectations right out of the gate. Its blown right past Jupiter Ascending, Mortal Engines, and Ghost in the Shell's International opening weekends. The sky is the limit.

Sarcasm aside, this opening is looking quite OK, I looked at WarCraft (which significantly outperformed the films you listed) international haul by country, and it seems that aside from China (which we don't know yet), most of the Asian countries that are opened for Alita indicated much stronger performance than WarCraft.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If Alita does well I'm gonna be so happy. Although, even if it does well what are the chances of getting part 2 after the Disney buyout?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I did my part for the LEGO Movie 2. At least the series got some closure as there may not be another movie like this in a while.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope lego movie 2 didn't cost more than $50M to make. :(

Just because I got curious: BoxOfficeMojo claims the first one cost $60 million, Batman cost $80 million, and nothing for Second Part or Ninjago.

Also boy I never realized how hard Ninjago tanked. It made less worldwide than the others did domestically.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
-Five year sequel gap

-The novelty of a LEGO movie gone thanks to the Batman and Ninjago movies

-Not nearly as good WoM as the first one

-Shit marketing

-More competition compared to 2014

I don't think these two necessarily factor in. The box office is beyond dead right now, people are dying for something to see. Go look at that top 5, seriously just look at it. And everyone who has seen the movie has glowing praise for it. It's just...nobody's seen it.

This franchise was always too good to be true. The first one defied all expectations it could have possibly had and then for better or for worse it set a tone and style for the rest of the movies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn What Men Want will be pure profit the rest of it's run

Status
Not open for further replies.