• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2017
Speaking of horror movies, does anyone know anything about the release schedule for The Lodge? Online, the big sites all say it was supposed to release this week, but it's not playing anywhere in my area that I can tell, which is odd. Is it just basically only releasing in like 10 theaters or is going to go a little wider?

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of horror movies, does anyone know anything about the release schedule for The Lodge? Online, the big sites all say it was supposed to release this week, but it's not playing anywhere in my area that I can tell, which is odd. Is it just basically only releasing in like 10 theaters or is going to go a little wider?
It's going wider this weekend.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Studios that claim movies don't break even are quite often lying by using fancy accounting tricks anyway, if movies "bombed" really as often as people think they do far fewer movies would get greenlit.

Once TV deals, streaming rights, etc. are distributed I think people would be surprised how many films turn a profit.

In my experience what you're saying here is just straight up not true. Most movies don't really make profit and all this funky Hollywood accounting everyone likes to talk about isnt really what anyone thinks it is, it's always some movie participant complaining about their backend which if you knew about the details of how the business works you'd know has nothing to do with true profitability.
Bottom line though film financing isn't some great investment. You'll probably lose money.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Has this ever happened where a studio changes the title of a movie while it is still playing in theaters?
BOP-title-change.png

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my experience what you're saying here is just straight up not true. Most movies don't really make profit and all this funky Hollywood accounting everyone likes to talk about isnt really what anyone thinks it is, it's always some movie participant complaining about their backend which if you knew about the details of how the business works you'd know has nothing to do with true profitability.
Bottom line though film financing isn't some great investment. You'll probably lose money.

Think about what you typed there. If it was that bad of an investment they wouldn't be able to get financing, investors are not that stupid to keep coming back if that was the case.

These studios are full of shit especially with stuff like claiming marketing budgets have some how increased 3-4x fold in 10 years time while TV marketing, print marketing are all way cheaper today than in the 90s/2000s. Never trust an accounting department that is highly incentivized to report losses. They will hide things like massive tax breaks they get from film locations as well if they can get away with it.

There's 786 theaterical releases last year versus 371 in 2000 ... investors are making money. "Terrible investments" don't see that kind of growth in investors if they lose money more often than not.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
How did they drop the ball so hard on this? The DCEU was on a solid track with Aquaman and Shazam. And DC had Joker on top of that.

And they somehow completely botch the marketing on a movie they should have had faith in, based on the solid reviews.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
The last movie that I can think of that changed titles this late was Edge of Tomorrow.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
How did they drop the ball so hard on this? The DCEU was on a solid track with Aquaman and Shazam. And DC had Joker on top of that.

And they somehow completely botch the marketing on a movie they should have had faith in, based on the solid reviews.
Shazam also had some marketing problems. I don't know who's idea it was to sandwich that movie in between Captain Marvel and Infinity War.
They have time to rename Suicide Squad...
James Gunn's Task Force X.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I mean... it's just the text in the movie ticket app. Does anyone think that's really going to confuse people? They're not printing new posters or popcorn buckets.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... it's just the text in the movie ticket app. Does anyone think that's really going to confuse people? They're not printing new posters or popcorn buckets.
I don't think it will confuse people because it's not an entirely new name like when Edge of Tomorrow became Live. Die. Repeat. I do think it's a bit too late to be changing the name of the movie.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Smart of them, I don't know how much it'll help but may as well change it now.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Call me crazy, but I absolutely love the title "The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn."

Aug 13, 2019

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy, but I absolutely love the title "The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn."

I love it too, but I can also picture some cigar chomping exec absolutely SNAPPING about that stupid fucking title and demanding it be changed immediately to something the average joe can understand before this thing bombs any harder

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
The title change won't change much, I mean everyone I know just calls it the Harley Quinn movie anyways. They should say fuck it and do a quick pg13 cut

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Putting Harley Quinn at the beginning of the title makes sense from a movie going perspective. The full title is cut off on many online ticket sites and even at my local cinema, the digital showtimes board where you buy tickets only shows Birds of Prey. Unless you are a DC fan, chances are you will not have a clue that this is a Harley Quinn film featuring the Birds of Prey.

WM5NE1e.jpg

Like seriously, if you were randomly scrolling through films to watch, would you know that this was a Harley Quinn film?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Putting Harley Quinn at the beginning of the title makes sense from a movie going perspective. The full title is cut off on many online ticket sites and even at my local cinema, the digital showtimes board where you buy tickets only shows Birds of Prey. Unless you are a DC fan, chances are you will not have a clue that this is a Harley Quinn film featuring the Birds of Prey.

WM5NE1e.jpg

Like seriously, if you were randomly scrolling through films to watch, would you know that this was a Harley Quinn film?
Yeah because it has Harley Quinn on the poster?

(Bad poster, I like this one better)
birds-of-prey-and-the-fantabulous-emancipation-of-one-harley-quinn-international-movie-poster.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The title is cool for something like a book, but for film and TV, where space is precious and titles tend to be pretty short, it's awful.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah because it has Harley Quinn on the poster?

(Bad poster, I like this one better)
birds-of-prey-and-the-fantabulous-emancipation-of-one-harley-quinn-international-movie-poster.jpg
Yah the second poster is better and looks more like Harley. I suppose my point being that for some of these posters, she looks nothing like the Harley people love from Suicide Squad at first glance. Many of these posters could have been for any zany action, comedy.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Okay, so between this and Cats polishing up its special effects post-release, day one patches for movies are officially a thing. Just wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.