• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I went to reserve tickets to watch BoP again with my sister and my order kept erroring out so I refreshed the page and this happened

sold-out.png

There were like 4 reserved seats when I was looking at the seating chart and then all of a sudden its sold out. I have no idea how that happened. I'm going to assume its a glitch or someone shat in a seat and they need to do clean up or something so the showing got canceled.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I went to reserve tickets to watch BoP again with my sister and my order kept erroring out so I refreshed the page and this happened

sold-out.png

There were like 4 reserved seats when I was looking at the seating chart and then all of a sudden its sold out. I have no idea how that happened. I'm going to assume its a glitch or someone shat in a seat and they need to do clean up or something so the showing got canceled.
2pm on a monday? that is a glitch unless there was a hell of a Senor's day.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Mulan is either very fucked or this is going to Aladdin all over again.
Mulan has far less of a following than Aladdin in my experience. Alladin is a huge classic of 90's Disney animation, only slightly less popular than The Lion King. Everybody I know of around my age (let's say 25-34 years old) grew up with Aladdin and has fond memories of watching the movie as a kid.

The only time I've hear anyone utter any nostalgia about Mulan was when Rick and Morty did that episode about the McDonalds sauce. I doubt it will do anywhere near Aladdin numbers, unless there's some huge Mulan fanbase I don't know about.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

sold-out.png

They couldn't have cancelled the showing right? It's not doing bad enough to warrant that... is it?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Mulan has far less of a following than Aladdin in my experience. Alladin is a huge classic of 90's Disney animation, only slightly less popular than The Lion King. Everybody I know of around my age (let's say 25-34 years old) grew up with Aladdin and has fond memories of watching the movie as a kid.

The only time I've hear anyone utter any nostalgia about Mulan was when Rick and Morty did that episode about the McDonalds sauce. I doubt it will do anywhere near Aladdin numbers, unless there's some huge Mulan fanbase I don't know about.
Never underestimate the nostalgic appeal any Disney film has, everyone's favorite Disney movie usually just happens to be whatever they watched on video a million times as a child.

I'm kind of hoping Mulan succeeds though for the exact reason I would expect it not to do well, it's a remake that actually seems to be adapting the original story from the ground-up rather than passing itself off as a 1:1 remake of the cartoon. Aladdin at least set itself apart a bit more than B&TB and Lion King did, but the only live-action Disney remake I've still truly enjoyed as its own movie is Jungle Book which is nowhere near as slavish to the original as the other three are. (I've heard a lot of people praise their Cinderella for similar reasons, but I still haven't seen it)

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2pm on a monday? that is a glitch unless there was a hell of a Senor's day.
They couldn't have cancelled the showing right? It's not doing bad enough to warrant that... is it?
I think the most likely explanation is that someone has rented the auditorium for a private event. Birthday party, corporate training, something like that. You should go there and see if you can get in.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Given the mention that Mulan is not including Mushu and has none of the original songs I'm actually interested in seeing it now. After Beauty and the Beast and Lion King I didn't think that was possible.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
So internationally BoP ist at 48m - and the budget was at 75m?
So they're close to a 100m now and will probably be able to at least get the box office to double the budget. Which isn't fantastic, but it would also safe it from being a flop or losing too much if any money.

Is it able to reach 75m domestically?
Uh, the budget for this movie is between 84-97 million...

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I believe one of the trades said $97M is raw budget and $84M is net budget (after tax breaks) so functionally the budget is on the lower bound

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Never underestimate the nostalgic appeal any Disney film has, everyone's favorite Disney movie usually just happens to be whatever they watched on video a million times as a child.

I'm kind of hoping Mulan succeeds though for the exact reason I would expect it not to do well, it's a remake that actually seems to be adapting the original story from the ground-up rather than passing itself off as a 1:1 remake of the cartoon. Aladdin at least set itself apart a bit more than B&TB and Lion King did, but the only live-action Disney remake I've still truly enjoyed as its own movie is Jungle Book which is nowhere near as slavish to the original as the other three are. (I've heard a lot of people praise their Cinderella for similar reasons, but I still haven't seen it)
A lot of the nostalgia for the original Mulan is centered around the songs, so not having them at all could really hurt it.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Mulan long-range tracking is pretty low

The internet makes a big stink about the remakes being too similar to the originals and "pointless" but similar to the originals is what the people want

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The internet makes a big stink about the remakes being too similar to the originals and "pointless" but similar to the originals is what the people want

I think quite simply the audience just doesn't want their childhood ruined by these films.

The casual audience tends to either lap it up or mostly ignore it though.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think quite simply the audience just doesn't want their childhood ruined by these films.

The casual audience tends to either lap it up or mostly ignore it though.

The "its ruining my childhood" audience if anything is the small, niche audience. I think the fact is overwhelmingly the general audience loves these Disney remakes and Disney is smart to make them.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Studios that claim movies don't break even are quite often lying by using fancy accounting tricks anyway, if movies "bombed" really as often as people think they do far fewer movies would get greenlit.

Once TV deals, streaming rights, etc. are distributed I think people would be surprised how many films turn a profit.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
BOP will probably end up losing a few million. Keep in mind that studios usually underreport budgets and costs to make a movie seem more successful than it is.
If the tracking is any indication, they were not smart to make Mulan, at least not the way they did.
They were probably betting on China to carry the movie, but that's obviously not going to work out. Even without the Coronavirus outbreak I'm not sure if Mulan would have been huge in China.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019

Because most of the animated movies are amazing. I would have been more satisfied and excited if they would have just re-released them to theaters and made it an event. Live action + their additions are trying to recapture the magic and it sucks.

I say most because Mulan is one that I rewatched recently and it definitely needs the update. The fact they're doing it plus trying to make it its own story and not just a straight up recreation is actually exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.