• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

6N0Hv67.png

YsRYHb7.png

hG420Pq.png

2FFI2jg.png

7x4q6Gg.png

'How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World' Ablaze With $55M+ Franchise Record Opening & Second Best February Animated Pic Debut

DreamWorks Animation/Universal's How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World came in at $55.5M per studio figures this morning after a $22.4M Saturday that was +28% over Friday. Despite being lower than industry figures yesterday morning that opening is one to be proud about: The best debut in DWA's Dragon franchise and the second best opening for an animated film in February after The Lego Movie ($69M). Not to mention, Hidden World best its earlier week projections of $40M-$45M. That's a great vibe for the marketplace after tracking being so far off this season for pics such as Glass and Lego Movie 2. With previews, Dragon is at $58M.

Fox's Alita: Battle Angel improved on its Saturday AM prospects with $12M second weekend, -58% (still low), with a 10-day of $60.6M. Saturday with $5.5M was +76%.

MGM's Fighting With My Family came in ahead of what we were seeing with $8M. Business was up 28% yesterday. With its stellar A- CinemaScore in wide release, and great PostTrak exits of 83% in the top two boxes with a 57% recommend, we hear that the pic has a better chance at long legs, potentially a 4x-5x multiple, than what Fox pulled off with Eddie the Eagle. There's extra muscle here from WWE and WWE Studios targeting their fans on social. Family overperformed in the West, Northeast, South Central with the top theaters in the country being the AMC Burbank, Atlantic Station Stadium in Atlanta, Levittown 10 in New York, Santikos Casa Blanca in San Antonio, TX and the Camelview in Scottsdale, AZ.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Aquaman - $1.139B
Bohemian Rhapsody - $861M
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $515M
How to Train Your Dragon 3 - $275M
Alita: Battle Angel - $263M
Glass - $241M
The Lego Movie 2 - $137M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
So happy for HtTYD's success. What a fantastic film and a great conclusion to the trilogy.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
HTTYD 3 significantly over performed its tracking and is gonna chew off any legs LEGO 2 might have hoped to have

Taking Fighting with My Family wide did not really pan out for them unless they can get it to leg out. I'm not so sure about its crossover appeal with general audiences.

I always knew that this was the fate awaiting Ruben Brandt, Collector. I'm not mad or suprised America, just disappointed.
Not looking forward to making this exact post in April when Missing Link bombs.

And for those holding out hope for Alita; no real legs showing in the US, its opening in Japan was unimpressive, so I guess y'all are stuck with China and I'm not sure it has the room to leg out as much as it needs in order to even be remotely enticing as a sequel having movie.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just surprised because people called Spiderverse at 90 very high.
Then those people were wrong, and I don't remember anyone in the thread doing so. Disney runs in the $150-200M budget realm, I think it's only really SPA and Illumination that consistently delivers films for about $75-$100M.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Then those people were wrong, and I don't remember anyone in the thread doing so. Disney runs in the $150-200M budget realm, I think it's only really SPA and Illumination that consistently delivers films for about $75-$100M.

Illumination keeps production budgets low and spends the savings on marketing.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
HTTYD 3 significantly over performed its tracking and is gonna chew off any legs LEGO 2 might have hoped to have

Taking Fighting with My Family wide did not really pan out for them unless they can get it to leg out. I'm not so sure about its crossover appeal with general audiences.

I always knew that this was the fate awaiting Ruben Brandt, Collector. I'm not mad or suprised America, just disappointed.
Not looking forward to making this exact post in April when Missing Link bombs.

And for those holding out hope for Alita; no real legs showing in the US, its opening in Japan was unimpressive, so I guess y'all are stuck with China and I'm not sure it has the room to leg out as much as it needs in order to even be remotely enticing as a sequel having movie.
Apparently word of mouth is building and showings are selling out now for this week in Japan , but how much that adds up to is debateable. China probably is it's only hope at this point.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
It did well based on the low opening, not based on expectations going in.

It is a Spiderman movie at the end of the day.

Spider-Man or not, animated comic book superhero movies do not perform close to live action movies. Saying that, I did expect the movie to break the cycle and perform much better than it did.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Spider-Man or not, animated comic book superhero movies do not perform close to live action movies.

Not sure there is enough real evidence to back this up considering how few big budget animated comic book movies there have been.

Big Hero Six still performed solidly, and that was a mostly unknown IP. It isn't unreasonable to expect a Spidy film to do better than that.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
It did well based on the low opening, not based on expectations going in.

It is a Spiderman movie at the end of the day.
The opening wasn't low for when it launched. It was holiday season which means lower opening weekends and much longer legs.

People's expectations is a whole other thing. It is the top earning SPA film domestically ever and did solid (but unspectacular) numbers internationally. By no means was it an objective disappointment

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure there is enough real evidence to back this up considering how few big budget animated comic book movies there have been.

Big Hero Six still performed solidly, and that was a mostly unknown IP. It isn't unreasonable to expect a Spidy film to do better than that.
I looked at something like incredibles and expected higher numbers but I think the issue was that the marketing for spiderverse never felt like it was aimed solely at kids/family audience like incredibles or big hero six or many of the successful animated movies. maybe if it released around the summer where it had a couple of weeks to itself it could have done a lot better. Aquaman, Mary Poppins and bumblebee managed to eat into its audience.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm glad that shitty looking Fighting with My Family movie is finally out. I'm tired of seeing TV spots for it 100 times a day.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
So HTTYD went from Paramount to Fox to Universal. Also, the first was the most expensive, this was the least.

Crazy

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Assorted international numbers, via Screendaily
How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World swooped past the $200m international mark as an estimated $34.7m from 53 active markets powered by a thunderous Russia debut elevated the tally to $216.9m, and $274.9m worldwide.

Russia delivered an excellent $11.2m number one debut to record the biggest DreamWorks Animation launch (some 65% ahead of the second film in the franchise) and the second highest animation debut of all time in the territory.
Horror Happy Death Day 2U added $6.1 from 48 to reach an early $20.9m, and stands at $42.5m worldwide. It opened in seven markets, led by an $844,000 number one debut in Brazil, and a $411,000 number two bow in Malaysia.
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part generated $10.3m from 73 markets for an early $53m, and $136.6m worldwide. The UK delivered $3.3m in a number one hold that saw the running total climb to $18.3m after three weekends. A $1.2m French debut was the highlight among the debutants, while Italy produced $963,000. The family animation stands at $2.5m in Mexico after two weekends, and $2.7m in Germany after three
ouch. for reference HTTYD 3's third weekend in France:
France led the holdovers on $2.8m for $16.7m after three weekends
Ralph Breaks The Internet brought in a further $5.1m from 26 material territories to reach $314.6m, and $514.5m worldwide. Strong holds included France, where $3m boosted the tally to $9.1m after 12 days.
Mary Poppins Returns has grossed $56m (£43.9m) in the UK and has entered the all-time top 50 there. Overall, the musical added $1.2m from 16 material territories to reach $174.1m, and $345m worldwide.
Glass stands at $133m internationally following a $1.6m session in 35 material territories, and $240.9m worldwide. All international markets are open with the exception of China, which WDSMPI is not releasing.
Instant Family grossed $3m from 22 markets for $43.5m, powered by $2.3m in the second session in the UK where the comedy stands at $8.4m.
Horror release Escape Room grossed $1.8m from 41 markets for $62.5m and debuts in France and Germany this week.
A Dog's Way Home added $1.4m from 32 SPRI markets for $21.9m and heads into Australia and Brazil this week
Robert Rodriguez's Alita: Battle Angelopened at number one in China on $62.3m for Fox's biggest launch of all time as the international running total soared to an early $202.7m. Japan also produced a number one debut on $3.2m. The worldwide tally including $60.7m from North America stands at $263.4m. According to reports the film cost $170m to make, not including marketing spend.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see HTTYD 3. Seems like its one of the very few film trilogies that manages to stick the landing.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Alita actually did better than reported.

Deadline posted an update saying that Alita actually made $64.8m in China.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-...d-global-international-box-office-1202563648/

Yep. I'm not going to be surprised if Alita bounces slightly from the 12m estimate (already up from the 11.2 est earlier in the week). Of note, the Sunday drop is encouraging. However The Green Book could be about to break out.

I was however expecting/hoping Japan to open slightly bigger. WW sitting at 269.8 is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Deadline posted an update saying that Alita actually made $64.8m in China.
Yeah, there is a discrepancy between local reporting and Fox reporting. And not to put to big a damper on things, but that would still be under what Warcraft made and with Captain Marvel releasing hot on its heels it probably won't leg out as well as that one. Or to put it more bluntly; $62M or $64M won't make any real difference in the long run.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It being the Spider-Man IP actually hurts it. Big Hero being unknown helped it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there is a discrepancy between local reporting and Fox reporting. And not to put to big a damper on things, but that would still be under what Warcraft made and with Captain Marvel releasing hot on its heels it probably won't leg out as well as that one. Or to put it more bluntly; $62M or $64M won't make any real difference in the long run.

Well if you're not looking at the daily numbers it doesn't, but there are some encouraging signs over the three day.

Bullshit.

No evidence for this whatsoever. Spider-Man films do consistently well at the B.O.

There is plenty of evidence,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.