• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Don't you dare! I want this... I need this!
Bob Iger:

SelfishCreativeEskimodog-small.gif

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
at the very least that's some precision timing for Alita. good to see it not buried under everything

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The only way Alita gets a sequel is if Cameron bribes Disney with more Avatar sequels.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
If they wanna make a third Death Day, they will. A 9mil plus marketing budget ain't a huge hill.

Once you see a big decline in your sequel, it's time to call it quits for horror. We are likely not going to see a third movie even though they likely will still make a little profit on this one, it's too steep of a drop to really push another when typically horror films just keep dropping with each installment.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An Alita sequel was always a fool's hope, long before the movie even came out.

Oct 31, 2017
The only way Alita gets a sequel is if Cameron bribes Disney with more Avatar sequels.

I think Cameron and LS transferred all rights from Avatar to 21CF. LS may have some co ownership rights or something, but the IP belongs to 21CF, I think. Unless you mean Cameron bribing them to direct it?

I'm gonna watch Alita next weekend if I have time and see what the hubbub is about.

Oct 26, 2017
I just got out of Happy Death Day 2U and I've got to say, I can see why it's not doing well.

I loved the first one. I was excited to see this one. I nearly walked out halfway through. The story is garbage. The motives of the "villains" are nonsensical at best. And the entire tone and plot of the movie are so radically different from the first that it's barely in the same genre.

Most of the movie's second half is taken up by the heroes trying to defeat a crusty old dean so they can get their magic machine back to close time loops. "Hilarity" ensues. At some point, the lead then remembers there's a killer she has to stop. This is taken care of ridiculously fast. Then more "hilarity."

Would've worked better in a Hot Tub Time Machine sequel.

Stay away. Stay far away.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Once you see a big decline in your sequel, it's time to call it quits for horror. We are likely not going to see a third movie even though they likely will still make a little profit on this one, it's too steep of a drop to really push another when typically horror films just keep dropping with each installment.
The sequel already did that by shifting sideways and making the slasher stuff just one facet of a sci-fi comedy. Another movie would have way more leeway to experiment now that the sequel freed itself from the slasher horror shackles of the first movie

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Alita sequel ain't happening. Bob Iger cancelled Tron 3 despite a moderately succesful box office haul for the second and the soundtrack and tv show being popular. At least the Tron ride is still being built at Disney World though!

Disney has zero tolerance for failure they will only focus on the most profitable of franchises

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Alita sequel ain't happening. Bob Iger cancelled Tron 3 despite a moderately succesful box office haul for the second and the soundtrack and tv show being popular. At least the Tron ride is still being built at Disney World though!

Disney has zero tolerance for failure they will only focus on the most profitable of franchises

So I guess Beauty and the Beast Re-Remake is coming then. Disney is going to out Capcom Capcom.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Wait are the rights for Alita with Fox (this is the assumption?) or with Cameron himself and his studio?

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Everyone that's loving Alita right now.

Begging and pleading for it to do well while the world looks down on you.

Checking the numbers every week praying for a miracle.

Knowing that while your heart believes you will live to see it continue, your head knows better.

Hang on to that feeling.

Understand it.

Just like us.

giphy.gif
It hasn't opened in China yet. I'm going to believe this film will have the kind of drop dead legs that David Lee Roth would sing about.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed how low happy death day is after I saw so many adds for it. Any time I go online I see at least a half dozen ads for that movie.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
I saw Atilla with my kids and it just seemed like it was missing something for me...needed more heart to the story. It was very nice to look at though.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe the thread title isnt " Alita eyeing a big opening weekend " or some such joke . Talk about missed opportunities.
Also, a part of its huge budget is a decade or so of being in development i assume .

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't know that Aquaman crossed the 1,1B mark... that's a lot lol

Here's hoping that Alita has good legs.

Oct 31, 2017
Is wandering earth gonna hit 700MM in China? 800MM?

I long to see a movie that can have TFA number in the US and China + blow up in other territories like IW.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw Lego. I enjoyed it.

I will say since the Lego Movie franchise is probably on ice after this, the franchise ended on the right note. I'm satisfied with it ending the way it did.

PS: Spiderverse, don't you dare suffer the same fate as the Lego Movie franchise. Make that sequel and spin-off, and KEEP GOING. DO NOT DIE.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Kinda think people should just be happy that Alita isn't an embarrassment at the box office because it almost certainly isn't gonna get a sequel with those numbers. You don't spend a hundred million+ just to maybe break even or eke out a small profit. And nothing about it's performance so far really suggests any possible sequel will grow that much box office wise. Doubt it's legs will be anything special either.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the Wandering Earth, it could help Alita. Alita was already ranked highly and Wandering Earth is helping to legitimize scifi in China to people who never bothered with it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.