• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

AFeaFqu.png

8gN1qqW.png

z3itG6s.png

Bn57Hl4.png

EXP7pmq.png

'Alita' Battles Her Way To $41M+ 5-Day, But Remains Far From Heaven At The B.O.

When a studio or a filmmaker builds a movie for north of $170M, the expectation is to soar to the greatest heights at the box office, and a passion project in the hands of James Cameron as producer — what studio wouldn't double down on that, especially in an era starving for fresh franchises?

His Alita: Battle Angel, directed by Robert Rodriguez, is easily winning the Presidents Day box office, with a $27.8M 3-day and $33M 4-day and a revised 5-day of $41.7M. Overseas stands at $94.3M from 86 markets which includes last week's $36M plus another $56.1M made this weekend in all territories (including previews) except for Japan and China. This will put Alita's WW at $136M by tomorrow. But the pic, despite beating its domestic tracking and an $11.6M Saturday, +55% over Friday, is still a long way from any kind of profitability. Imax contributed $6.5M at 404 screens stateside or 16% of the pic's overall gross. Some rival B.O. analysts believe that her domestic result at this 5-day level has a shot of hitting $80M, maybe $100M.

Fox contends breakeven is between $350M-$400M, while other finance film sources with knowledge of the budget say it's significantly more. A $50M domestic start over 5 days would be considered at the very least respectable for a movie this size. We understand Alita's price tag was originally $200M, and shaved down to $170M between New Zealand and Texas tax credits.

Who has turned out to Alita to date? In updated PostTrak, M25+ at 34% are the biggest quad, giving the pic its best grade at 84%. This is followed by men under 25 at 26% (with a 71% grade), then females under 25 (21% with a 73% grade), and females over 25 (19% turnout, 78% positive score). Overall, a healthy 59% recommend. Those between 13-17 made up 8% of Alita's ticket buyers, giving it an 81% score. Among kids under 12, Boys 10-12 were the biggest demo at 37% followed by Girls 10-12 (23%). But girls loved the movie more at 100% versus boy's 77%.

The Burbank lot can savor third place as well with New Line's Isn't It Romantic, which has $14.2M over FSS, $16.5M over FSSM, and $22.7M over 6 days. That's slightly above Rebel Wilson's previous New Line romantic comedy, How to Be Single, which made $22.4M over the same period of time. It's OK for a film that cost $31M before P&A. How to Be Single ended its run at $46.8M domestic, $112.3M WW (it also had Fifty Shades of Grey's Dakota Johnson in it). Friday's business of $4.1M dipped 5% from Valentine's Day. Three-and-a-half stars on PostTrak, 50% definite recommend, and female heavy at 71%, who graded it 81% positive. Relish Mix says that the mix of stars in the pic –Priyanka Chopra, Liam Hemsworth, Wilson and Lucifer's Tom Ellis– are getting shout-outs on social, with Chopra the social media magnet here with her 100M followers across Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. The pic counts a massive social media universe for a romantic comedy at 255M, well above the genre's 125M universe of YouTube views, FB, Twitter and Instagram followers.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Alita: Battle Angel - $131M
Happy Death Day 2 U - $25M

Aquaman - $1.131B
Bohemian Rhapsody - $854M
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $505M
Mary Poppins Returns - $342M
Creed 2 - $210M
Glass - $235M
How to Train Your Dragon 3 - $172M
Escape Room - $115M
The Lego Movie 2 - $97M

The Wandering Earth (in China) - $560M in 13 days

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Very happy about Happy Death Day 2's performance, $25.3mil worldwide already not counting Sunday numbers and will easily surpass $30mil total. Did my part, saw it twice

Miss Bala bombed out pretty fast but that was to be expected

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Alita beat its tracking, but that's not gonna be enough considering its hefty budget unless it can find footing internationally.

I wonder how much Warner got for selling the international rights for Isn't it Romantic, 'cause that's not an all out terrible figure.

Man, Ruben Brandt, Collector did not do great. That makes me very sad. Between this and the inevitable demise of Missing Link, please stop killing animation America.

At least I can take comfort in Cold War doing quite decently.

RI-... wait that one film is doing alright Annapurna update:
Okay so Fighting with My Family is MGM who have a distribution deal with Annapurna. The PTA isn't off the charts, and it's unclear if it has general audience appeal. But it's a very good start.
Vice is still trucking along, but that PTA isn't great so it will start shedding theatres soon probably and won't make back its budget.
Beale Street is just a continuing disappointment
Destroyer is not playing anymore. RIP.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
25 worldwide on week 1 for a 9 million budget horror movie released at a weird time is solid

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Death Day 2U's 5-day weekend is only a little above the first film's opening day. Not what one wants out of a sequel.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The path forward is still treacherous for Alita, but beating opening weekend estimates is a good start. If Alita reaches $400 million, James Cameron could probably use his influence to get a sequel after he's done with Avatar 2 and 3 despite Alita never breaking even since the studios want Cameron to be happy so he keeps making stuff like Avatar.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
I think that 400M WW is locked now for Alita, whether it can reach 500M is more the question.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
I predict everyone is underestimating the legs of alita and that the 2nd weekend will surprise with a crazy hold.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so gonna do this once for this thread;

Happy Death Day 2 U is not guaranteed to make money theatrically with that take.

It had a production budget of $9M
But it also must recoup a P&A budget that is at least $30M (there are interviews with Jason Blum where he points to this being the minimum for a wide release type film, and HDD2U was super saturation wide so its at minimum this)

So it needs to recoup $39+M, and it hasn't done so.

Now there is also a whole bunch of ancillary revenue streams (disc, stream, TV-rights) that will help it. But it hasn't made its money back theatrically yet, and may not do so (since it was significantly down in the original's biggest international market as well).

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
LEGO movie had a decent drop. Hopefully it can continue to show some legs.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Alita is doing great numbers! Could see a gross equivalent to Bumblebee - pretty amazing for a new IP.

What Men Want is actually doing solid business. Not bad.

And How to Train your Dragon is doing alright for itself. Don't think it'll do as well as the previous iteration, but good nonetheless for DreamWorks.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The path forward is still treacherous for Alita, but beating opening weekend estimates is a good start. If Alita reaches $400 million, James Cameron could probably use his influence to get a sequel after he's done with Avatar 2 and 3 despite Alita never breaking even since the studios want Cameron to be happy so he keeps making stuff like Avatar.

I'm so glad Cameron is oddly invested in this one manga - hope this comes to pass.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Hope that WOM gets Alita the legs it needs for sequel possibilities. It deserves the success.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Saw Alita yesterday in IMAX and i enjoyed it. The CGI tech is really a marvel. No wonder, now that i see the budget.
Is there a chance for a China rescue? WOM doesn't seem bad so far.

The CGI is really outstanding. Rest of the cast, besides Waltz and Ali was probably not a cost factor.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Doesn't feel like Happy Death Day 2U got a whole lot of marketing really, doubt they spent a ton and were hoping the massive success of the first was gonna workout here.

Doubt we will get a third.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I guess Screndaily is sleeping off a Berlin hangover, so I am going with Deadline for assorted international numbers. I can only say that I am sorry and hope you find it in you to forgive me for that horrendous transgression:
Alita: Battle Angel stormed into wide offshore release this session with $56.2M in 86 markets. That brings the total on the expensive James Cameron-produced pic to $94.4M at the international box office. Key releases in China and Japan are on deck for Friday.

Fox had earlier taken advantage of the Chinese New Year to push Alita out in South East Asia where the source material and next-level 3D are particular draws. Turnstiles typically, and naturally, slow down after the holiday period in that part of the world, and Alita saw some drops in the 40% range there this frame. However, she maintained No. 1s in most of the Asian hubs.

Alita's $56.2M weekend is higher than estimates we were hearing ahead of the session which included strong starts in Russia, France and Mexico. The question is what her legs will look like in some of the European and more mature markets moving forward (she certainly has runway ahead before Captain Marvel takes flight). Currently, Alita is outpacing Ready Player One (+5%) and The Maze Runner (+43%) in the same group of a total 86 offshore markets and at today's rates. IMAX and 3D box office contributed nicely to the weekend at 35% and 10% of the overseas total, respectively.

Alita's $56.2M weekend is higher than estimates we were hearing ahead of the session which included strong starts in Russia, France and Mexico. The question is what her legs will look like in some of the European and more mature markets moving forward (she certainly has runway ahead before Captain Marvel takes flight). Currently, Alita is outpacing Ready Player One (+5%) and The Maze Runner (+43%) in the same group of a total 86 offshore markets and at today's rates. IMAX and 3D box office contributed nicely to the weekend at 35% and 10% of the overseas total, respectively.

As for China, which joins the Battle on Friday, it's getting a visit from Cameron tomorrow. A beloved figure in the Middle Kingdom, he'll be in Beijing for the premiere. Early estimates on next weekend's opening are in the $50M zone. Alita could see terrific carryover if she taps into a similar Middle Kingdom vein as Ready Player One did last year (that film also had extra local muscle via Alibaba). Of course, even if she does kick-ass business in China, Alita will return just 25% of the box office to Fox's coffers, and this film remains an expensive break-even proposition.
The Wandering Earth. The overall leader at the international box office last frame and this, the pic has now cumed RMB 3.789B ($560M) to become the 2nd biggest local film ever in the Middle Kingdom, behind only Wolf Warrior 2(based on local currency). It reached the mark in 13 days and will soon get across $600M.

The Wu Jing-starrer also hit another milestone in the current session, topping Avengers: Infinity War to become the top-grossing IMAX release ever in China. The total there is now $43.7M.

With a 50% drop for the FSS this session to $90M, Wandering Earth is still dominating showtimes in the Middle Kingdom. It is expected to begin to shed screens and jockey with the arrival of Alita on Friday.
Happy Death Day 2U blew out candles in 41 overseas markets with an $11.8M start. Majors in the mix are led by Korea ($2.2M). Overall, the sequel is tracking ahead of the original in 23 markets with Italy, Russia and Japan still to come.
personal note because I looked it up for the last thread; South Korea was the biggest market for the first one and HDD2U is down a good $1.5M from that
Ralph Breaks The Internet has crossed $300M internationally and $500M worldwide.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the legs for Alita are good. That film deserves success and a sequel. If it only gets close to the break even I hope Cameron can use his influence get a sequel made.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Death Day 2's domestic total is only going to slightly exceed the original's opening weekend. The number is abysmal and I'm not sure why they didn't retain more of the audience from the first.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things are looking up for Alita. Beating tracking everywhere and poised to do well in China

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell happened to The Lego Movie 2? That's like night and day in terms of performance from the other Lego movies.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Be gud bois and gurls and go see Alita three times at theaters. I need me that sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.