• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
More from Deadline's updated article

Paramount's Taraji P. Henson comedy What Men Want was very strong last night with $1.25M. That's slightly under the $1.35M made by Universal's Kevin Hart-Tiffany Haddish comedy Night School and ahead of The Upside ($1.1M) and Uncle Drew ($1.1M). Night School opened to $27M. Expectations earlier this week for What Men Want were between $18M-$20M that grew to $25M yesterday.

In 2050 theaters last night starting at 7PM, Liam Neeson's Cold Pursuit from Lionsgate played earning $540K. That's lower than the action star's The Commuter a year ago which earned $700K ($13.7M opening) but higher than his March 2015 release Run All Night ($455K Thursday, $11M start).

Orion's R-rated horror pic The Prodigy drew $350K last night which is on par with horror pics like 2015's The Lazarus Effect ($350K preview, $10.2M weekend) and DreamWork's R-rated Fright Night ($350K, $7.7M opening)

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
So I was on the wiki page for 2019 in film and now I have a fun question for you all. Without looking it up name the 5 highest grossing movies to date released in 2019. I would have at best gotten 3 of the 5.
Glass, Escape Room, How To Train Your Dragon 3, The Upside, White Snake.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the year Hollywood finally gets the memo to stop trying to make King Arthur and Robin Hood movies?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Deadline's afternoon update has Lego at $40M, maybe even $35M. What Men Want's seeing $20M, Cold Pursuit $11.5M, and Progidy $6.5M.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see They Shall Not Grow Old seems to be doing well. I just saw it and Free Solo today and it was well worth it (plus the post credits details on the production of it). In the seat for Glass right now, his movies have been solid the last few outings so I'm curious to see what he does next.

They Shall Not Grow Old made me really fucking sick. I felt like I was going to die.
It takes a long time to get to the restored footage and the raw stuff jumps all over the place.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
So I was on the wiki page for 2019 in film and now I have a fun question for you all. Without looking it up name the 5 highest grossing movies to date released in 2019. I would have at best gotten 3 of the 5.
Glass, Escape Room, How To Train Your Dragon 3, The Upside, White Snake.

1) Glass
2) Some Chinese nonsense I won't know
3) Seriously what the hell came out this year?
4) Uhhh a horror movie?
5) Serenity

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

They dropped the ball with marketing and picked a bad release window - just two short weeks away from the much more favorably reviewed How to Train Your Dragon sequel.

Main problem is that they failed to convey why anyone should want to see this movie when the original already exists. You've gotta have a hook to make people want to see your movie beyond "it's like that first movie you remember but more".

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

It's good to be a filmmaker in 2019. So many avenues to sell your movie.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
They dropped the ball with marketing and picked a bad release window - just two short weeks away from the much more favorably reviewed How to Train Your Dragon sequel.

Main problem is that they failed to convey why anyone should want to see this movie when the original already exists. You've gotta have a hook to make people want to see your movie beyond "it's like that first movie you remember but more".

Lego Movie had the best release window you could hope for. Nothing of note came out the last two weeks. People aren't skipping it for another movie two weeks later, they just have no desire to see another Lego film.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Where's broly world wide?
$100-and-some-changeM

I doubt that HTTYD 3 being two weeks away has an impact on LEGO opening weekend (it probably won't do pretty things to its legs though).

The biggest problem as I see it is that its a diluted brand (a whole bunch of DTV films and other media) that Warner kinda ran into the ground very fast (they released two (2!) spin-offs in 2017, which is still kinda crazy to me). So when that issue meets the whole "it's like that first movie you remember but more" angle we get yikes.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
It's okay, friends

Next week Happy Death Day 2U comes out on me birthday, our forces combined will singlehandedly save the box office and the box office thread

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You take that back. Lego Batman is a treasure.

Having both in between I mean.Ninjago should have been a direct to video thing.Lego Batman arguably shouldn't exist but it's probably fine having existed in between if there wasn't also another spin off that bombed.

And Alita is going to be.....Interesting.

I'm still very excited for Alita and intrigued after hearing about how it sort of structures itself like the manga.

Last edited:

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WB immediately running Lego into the ground right after the first one was a hit is Sony-type incompetence.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
There did not seem to be enthusiasm for LEGO 2, so I'm not surprised at the underwhelming opening

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Lego is dead. Friday was less than $6.5M without previews.

Best case scenario this weekend is 30M.

Tracking was 45-50M.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
What Men Want is doing exactly as projected. Should finish at $60M+ if holds are good during Vday weekend.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Lego brand has taken a hit even in games. It just seems over saturated at this point

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lego is dead. Friday was less than $6.5M without previews.

Best case scenario this weekend is 30M.

Tracking was 45-50M.

Not surprising at all

-First movie was lightning in a bottle. The novelty of a theatrical LEGO film, great reviews and WoM, and having no competition meant that it was a perfect storm of success.

-It took WAY to long to make a sequel. 5 years. This should've come out 2-3 years ago.

-LEGO over-saturated the market with other movies like the Batman one and the Ninjago one. The novelty is gone.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the popularity of the first LEGO movie, I think people needed to get sold on seeing another one. The trailers, uh, did not do a good job of doing that.

Also, HTTYD3 will probably end up grossing around the same amount. It's been almost five years since the sequel, which was already a disappointment at the box office. I think it ends up following the same pattern that Kung Fu Panda did.

Status
Not open for further replies.