• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
BOX OFFICE CONTEST: Predict the Top 5 Domestic Movies of 2019

This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

Wz7EuCv.png

Y6OJ7CC.png

p8xGPvZ.png

wtec0uw.png

Oeh2wOP.png

'Glass' Still Has Class With Third Weekend Win; 'Miss Bala' Fires Blanks In Lowest Super Bowl Frame In 19 Years

With most of the majors sitting on the sidelines this Super Bowl weekend, 3-day ticket sales are dropping to around $70M.

That figure is lower than the lowest-grossing weekend of 2018 (which was the first frame of December, with $85.3M). You have to go back to Aug. 25-27, 2017 to find a weekend that's even lower, that period totaling $69.3M. Overall, this Super Bowl weekend's tickets sales are expected to be the lowest in 19 years. The last time it was rock bottom was in 2000, when the Big Game frame totaled $66.3M per ComScore.

Don't necessarily blame the Super Bowl, even though it does suck 60%-70% out of Sunday's tills compared to Saturday. Blame the bulk of the majors for not providing exhibitors with new titles. Super Bowl weekend has historically delivered good Friday and Saturday returns for a family title or male-targeted genre film.

True, you wouldn't put a new four-quad release here. But there is money being left on the table, especially if you subscribe to the business principle that moviegoing is a 52-weekend-a-year-business. Super Bowl weekend "is a gamble," said one distribution boss Friday morning. Either that, or everyone was really scared that Universal/BVI/Blumhouse's Glass would take all the air of the marketplace for three weekends in a row.

Miss Bala's fans were comprised of 42% Hispanic, 34% Caucasian, 12% African-American, with 10% Asian. The 18-44 crowd repped 81% of the slim audience here. Males over 25 were the pre-dominant crowd at 35%, followed by females over 25 at 30%. Overall, a near split, 51% male. Miss Bala played best in the west and southwest, but even there, we hear, it wasn't great.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Aquaman - $1.107B
Bohemian Rhapsody - $833M
Deadpool 2 - $787M
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $487M
Bumblebee - $455M
A Star is Born - $416M
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse - $347M
Mary Poppins Returns - $329M
Creed 2 - $202M
Glass - $199M
Escape Room - $96M
How to Train Your Dragon 3 - $84M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing interesting about this week is They Shall Not Grow Old passing $10M to become the fifth 2018 documentary to do so.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Wow how long has it been since the last time there wasn't a movie that grossed $10m in a weekend? 10+ years I'm sure?

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Man, i want to know how much M. Sham made with Spilt+Glass together. Must be some "buy whole island" money...

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman will pass Suicide Squad and BvS soon to become the second biggest DCEU film domestically. It obviously isn't catching Wonder Woman in the US/Canada, but still a fantastic performance.

Creed 2 finally passes the $200M mark. They could probably round out a trilogy, and then call it a day.

The Upside is the surprise of the year so far (domestically). Shitty reviews don't seem to matter as it makes its way to $100M+ domestic.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Proud Bala is the first miss for Sony of the year, fortunately for them it's a smaller budget misfire (Deadline says $14M). On the other hand Escape Room which originally had Bala's release date crossed $50M, proving itself to be much leggier than I anticipated.

Speaking of leggy hits for Sony, I wonder what Electric boogaLEGO is gonna do to the legs of 'Verse next week.

My greatest disappointment of the week has to be Piercing which opened to the lowest PTA of $340 and a grand total of $8500. I don't get it, what's not to like about an edgy, heavily stylised, violent thriller based on a cult classic novel from the writer of Audition (on which Takashi Miike's film is based) directed by the dude who did the totally not divisive The Eyes of My Mother?
Basically; Dear America, why do you hate Mia Wasikowska?

RIP Annapurna update:

Destroyer petered out, it's not gonna do much more than the $1.2M it has taken in so far
Beale Street is still very soft, I've already given up on it ever catching on.
Vice is starting to lose venues now, and even if it wins every Oscar it is nominated for it won't make back the ludicrous $60M Annapurna made it for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A limited number of assorted international numbers funtime special (via Screendaily):

[How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World] launched in 23 markets and was in predictably robust form, scoring number one debuts in 20 markets. It earned $7.7m in Mexico in the biggest debut for the studio, $6.8m in the UK in a franchise-best launch, $4.6m in South Korea which included the biggest opening day in the series, and $3.4m in Italy.
Creed II grossed $7m from 44 territories as the boxing drama starring Michael B. Jordan reached $86.5m internationally, and $202m worldwide. Italy was the star of the session on $1.8m in third place for $7m after two weekends – a number that has already exceeded the lifetime total of Creed by 11%
Bumblebee added $6.2m from 49 markets for a $331m running total fuelled by a strong $5.4m fifth session in China that raised the tally to $167.5m. After six weekends the Transformers spin-off has reached $15.8m. Japan is the final market to open on March 22.
Green Book grossed a further $5.5M from 37 Lionsgate markets to push the tally to $14.6m after a session in which Italy delivered a $1.8m debut in second place. The film starring the Oscar-nominated pair of Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali launches in Mexico this week.

Last edited:

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Bumblebee at $455M already without Japan! Film could end up finishing at $480M WW when all is said and done - outstanding!!

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Hope How to Train Your Dragon Hidden World can do a little better than the second film, it was great.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
From Deadline:

Black Panther is back at 250 AMC theaters for Black History Month (Feb. 1-7) following the movie's SAG best ensemble win. Nearly 500 Black Panther screenings nationwide are already full or nearly full based on the number of tickets claimed, and as of Friday, close to 50% of all seats allotted had been claimed for the entire week.

Wakanda Forever, indeed.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Man, i want to know how much M. Sham made with Spilt+Glass together. Must be some "buy whole island" money...

I'm sure he's doing very well of these films but the only way your making a $20M movie with Bruce Willis, Sam Jackson and James McAvoy is by giving those guys a substantial backend incentive. So that money is getting spread around.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm sure he's doing very well of these films but the only way your making a $20M movie with Bruce Willis, Sam Jackson and James McAvoy is by giving those guys a substantial backend incentive. So that money is getting spread around.

Probably points on the first gate for each. Regardless, he definitely made good money

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Over under $500 million for spiderverse two? Keep in mind Warner pparently is also making a CGI batman Beyond apparently, so audiences may be onboard and accepting with CGI superhero movies

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman has at least 12-15m left domestically. Japan opens Feb 8th and if I had to guess, based on previous genre movies, I think Aquaman will do 30-40m in Japan. I think it'll pass Civil War worldwide.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Even if there weren't the snow, nothing new played I was interested in. Same for this coming week

I'm good until Happy Death Day 2U comes out on my birthday

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glas now at 10x its budget WW and on it's way to be 5x its budget domestic

Crazy how much money M Night is making. If he just keeps sticking to these self financed lower budget films the dude is going to make a fortune moving forward

Also pretty clear audience reception is not lining up with Critic consensus on the film. Glass isnt having mind blowing holds but it also certainly didnt crater the way a poorly recieved film would

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man 4: Civil War gonna go down to Fish Boy.

Imagine that. After Avengers 12345, you have Da Black Panta, and then Aquaman.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
For the first week this year, there are no joke casts in any of the OP movie cards.

You're slacking America, see different movies.

And bump Serenity to the top 5 so kswiss can have a field day Photoshopping that card

less

Oct 25, 2017
Good legs on Spiderverse. I was slightly disappointed at how it started off but the film keeps chugging along. The film still deserves more success than it has received so far but you can't have everything I guess.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Glas now at 10x its budget WW and on it's way to be 5x its budget domestic

Crazy how much money M Night is making. If he just keeps sticking to these self financed lower budget films the dude is going to make a fortune moving forward

Also pretty clear audience reception is not lining up with Critic consensus on the film. Glass isnt having mind blowing holds but it also certainly didnt crater the way a poorly recieved film would

It's great and he looks reenergized. Moving forward he's found his creative outlet under Blumhouse and he'll probably continue to self finance his movies in the 5-10M range. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
That movie has an 87% on RottenTomatoes.

I don't think the marketing did it any favors.
Doesn't matter if a film has a good or bad RT score if people want to see a movie they'll see it. Hollywood doesn't seem to understand general audiences don't care about Tarzan,Robin Hood or King Arthur type stories anymore. I loved Attack the Block and think Joe Cornish is a great director/writer but still had no desire to see The Kid.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another attempt at turning something into a cinematic universe fails. Shame, but at least Lego Movie 2 will still be great.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter if a film has a good or bad RT score if people want to see a movie they'll see it. Hollywood doesn't seem to understand general audiences don't care about Tarzan,Robin Hood or King Arthur type stories anymore. I loved Attack the Block and think Joe Cornish is a great director/writer but still had no desire to see The Kid.

More like audiences don't like Hollywood's interpretation of Arthur/Robin Hood stories.

When was the last time Hollywood made a King Arthur movie that didn't try to modernize it with anarchronism or make it dark and edgy? Not since 1980s Excalibur, and that movie did well.

Same with Robin Hood, the last straight adaptation we got was the fucking Kevin Costner version, and lambasted as it is now, remember, that movie was a smash hit when it came out.

Hollywood needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel with King Arthur/Robin Hood.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More like audiences don't like Hollywood's interpretation of Arthur/Robin Hood stories.

Same with Robin Hood, the last straight adaptation we got was the fucking Kevin Costner version, and lambasted as it is now, remember, that movie was a smash hit when it came out.

This Robin Hood was great, remember we got Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham which was the best thing ever.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

When was the last time Hollywood made a King Arthur movie that didn't try to modernize it with anarchronism or make it dark and edgy? Not since 1980s Excalibur, and that movie did well.

Hollywood needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel with King Arthur/Robin Hood.

Looking forward to Disney's upcoming live-action Sword and the Stone to blow up at the box office.

Or streaming numbers. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.