• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange to me that animated films from Pixar and Disney can have 50-70 million opening weekends, but somehow the Marvel brand can't push Spider-Man beyond 35-40M.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
It's strange to me that animated films from Pixar and Disney can have 50-70 million opening weekends, but somehow the Marvel brand can't push Spider-Man beyond 35-40M.

Turning typically animated works into live action seems to have a much bigger draw than the opposite

Maybe the general audience just sees animation as a downgrade when they're used to seeing the property in live action

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I work at a movie theatre and was positioned at Box Office last night. While Spider-man was selling seats, not a single showing sold out. Then again, not a single showing for any movie sold out last night. I think people are too focused on Christmas shopping right now.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
WB must be kicking themselves for giving Snyder so many chances, damn
As these non-Snyder DC films continue to kill it critically and commercially, it really drives home just how badly he fucked up Batman and Superman.

Also having a harder time imagining a full DCEU reboot if both Wonder Woman and Aquaman are successful. They might just recast Batman and Superman and leave it at that.
Well, he cast Gadot and Momoa, didn't he?
And it's not like he had anything to do with Suicide Squad.
In the end he got the DCEU ball rolling and they've had only one outright bomb so far. He's made WB a lot of money.
And I'm not defending the actual films he's made (although I'll always love MoS), just saying that he deserves some credit.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
WB's relationship with Snyder must still be tight if they're funding his Ayn Rand movie.

WB has been trying to get a new Fountainhead made for ages. It's not like it's a pet project. Kind of a happy coincidence for them that he was interested to direct. The only reason I'm, like, 1% interested in how it turns out is because Snyder talked shit about Rand in the past. So I'm left wondering if it's gonna be a straight adaptation or critical (or an attempt at, in the case of Sucker Punch).

Well, he cast Gadot and Momoa, didn't he?
And it's not like he had anything to do with Suicide Squad.
In the end he got the DCEU ball rolling and they've had only one outright bomb so far. He's made WB a lot of money.
And I'm not defending the actual films he's made (although I'll always love MoS), just saying that he deserves some credit.

Yep. One of the things people don't realize is that the Snyders (as in Zack and Deborah) were the one pushing for WB to make DC properties outside of Batman and Superman, particularly getting Wonder Woman moving. Even with Aquaman, they approached Jeff Nichols at first before talking with James Wan. They were never the "Feige" of the DC movies, and Zack isn't the greatest director to put it lightly, but it's hard to appreciate what's been done without the context of how it's been for decades.

Like, you've had people saying "they should've given the movies to the CW DC folk!"... but read up on Green Lantern. Before they went to town on Berlanti's script, Clark Kent was in that movie.

Suicide Squad was a weird situation all together, where it was a standalone script from years earlier, and they wanted to roll it into this shared universe. WB got Ayer and barely gave any time to put together a new script. And then reshoots happened before WB gave it to a trailer studio to reedit it. Whole thing was messy.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
He's made WB a lot of money.
Justice League wiped out the profit MoS and BvS did. Not to mention that Sucker Punch made a big loss. I think if you add everything he has directed for WB they've lost money on him.

Adding in Producer/Screenwriter credits and things get murkier and harder to maths so I'm just not gonna do that for reasons that aren't related to me being lazy.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Justice League wiped out the profit MoS and BvS did. Not to mention that Sucker Punch made a big loss. I think if you add everything he has directed for WB they've lost money on him.
Sure, that's why I also mentioned Gadot and Momoa. Obviously the success of those films was / is mostly due to their respective directors, but he does deserves a bit of credit for them happening in the first place.
A Wonder Woman movie was an inevitability but he certainly accelerated the process.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

Adding in Producer/Screenwriter credits and things get murkier and harder to maths so I'm just not gonna do that for reasons that aren't related to me being lazy.

WB really bungled Justice League. Should've either delayed it from the outset and eat the loss from being deep into preproduction or don't spend a bunch of money on reshoots when it wouldn't pan out.

Sure, that's why I also mentioned Gadot and Momoa. Obviously the success of those films was / is mostly due to their respective directors, but he does deserves a bit of credit for them happening in the first place.
A Wonder Woman movie was an inevitability but he certainly accelerated the process.

Man, if you want an example of how WB had to be dragged, Patty Jenkins tried to get a Wonder Woman movie going in 2004.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Given the movies they currently have in development, that's probably gonna be the move. They seem much more interested in working on lesser known characters atm. Even Reeve's Batman feels more like a formality than something they feel they absolutely have to get out. Their attitude feels very, "Eh. It'll be out when it's out. We ain't tripping.
manny.png
" If people are digging the films beyond the ones featuring those two, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Just recast and keep it pushing.

In that way, Synder's movies being so poorly received may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. DC as a property always had more potential than being "The Batman Show (sometimes featuring Superman maybe)." Synder taking a lot of the shine off those characters at the same time lesser known/oft ignored DC characters are succeeding in film and other media may prove better for them in the long run.

In some kind of twisted way... I think you might be right

Snyder failed so hard that it looped back around to success for DC!

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony is full speed ahead with the Venomverse

I don't really care about morbius, but Kraven is on my Radar. I seem to remembertalk of Silk live Action but that may have been shelved with her appearing in the Spider-Gwen thing. Hopefully Silver and Black comes back as a Black Cat film with sable as a foil antagonist turned ally.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's too early to throw out worldwide grosses because I still have no real idea how Spider-verse will do domestically. Plus December complicates things. However, things don't look very good at the moment.

In the UK:

It opened to second behind Aquaman yesterday, but is now behind Creed 2 (which opened 2 weeks ago) and Bohemian Rhapsody (which opened Oct 26th). The gap between it and Aquaman is apparently huge, but I can't find numbers yet.

Lego Batman made around 35M in the UK, which was more than what Wonder Woman or Justice League made there last year.

Edit: Last weekend, Ralph and Grinch were the top 2 movies in the UK, but were not the top 2 in the previous dailies. So it does seem like Animation gets a bigger weekend bump. However nothing made much more than 3M last weekend, and presumably Creed 2 is another 40% or so weaker this week (maybe more with Aquaman. No major openers last weekend). So that sort of caps how well Spider-verse could be doing.

The LEGO franchise has been very uneven Internationally with the UK being disproportionate by far, owed the how it started and spread throughout the 60s.

Even so, Spider-verse doing even more than marginally better than LEGO Batman in every other market easily covers the disparity that verse only doing about average in the UK creates. The LEGO movie was pretty soft outside of the UK/France/Germany/Mexico. Based on the numbers so far, Spider-verse is going to do just fine Internationally for its 'not Disney' animated status.

Edit:

Friday Estimates: Spidey Starts Miles Ahead of the Competition

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse debuted with $12.6 million on Friday, putting it on pace for $35.5 million over the full weekend, at least according to Sony. It will get a tiny boost on Sunday, because about 5% of school kids start their winter holidays on Monday. It will get a larger boost from its reviews, which remain Oscar-worthy. And this is not a case of the critics loving it and the audiences being more ambivalent, as the film earned an A plus from CinemaScore and a five-star rating from PostTrak. If the film does match Sony's estimates, then it will be a little better than our prediction. More importantly, if its word-of-mouth boosts its legs, it could earn more than $200 million domestically. That's asking a lot, but it is a possibility. It is certainly something to keep our eyes on.

The-numbers: https://www.the-numbers.com/news/23...-Spidey-Starts-Miles-Ahead-of-the-Competition

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

with numbers like these there's almost no way that Spider-verse falls below the international takes of LEGO Batman or likely even the original LEGO movie @ 211m INT which didn't even open in China.

Spider-verse is currently tracking for a 15m launch in China; higher than the lifetime gross of The LEGO movie in almost ever market except the UK and Australia.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=lego.htm

People forget just how meager and selectively propped up LEGO was internationally, even at its peak.

Edit: fun note: LEGO had great legs in the UK and reached 56m. But tracking for Venoms opebing weekend in China (15m) is higher than the opening weekend in the UK (13.5m). Verse will lose, most likely, in the markets that prop LEGO Movies up, but decisively outperform at least LEGO Batman everywhere else. Without the UK LEGO Batman would have only done 101m INT. South Korea had Venom open up close the the LT of LEGO Batman. You do the math.

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Spider-Verse last night with the wife and kids, and it is downright fantastic.
Easily the best animated movie of the year, and imo among the best movies period.

The visual and auditory experience, the voice acting, script, dialigues... Everything is excellent.
The humor is also on point, a mother behind us laughed so hard at the train and a few other scenes she ended up apologizing to us hehe.

I admit I was a bit worried for the numbers of the BO as our theater was a bit empty for a 7pm opening night, good to read that it is doing well.
I fully intend to go see it at least one more time.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw Spider-Verse last night with the wife and kids, and it is downright fantastic.
Easily the best animated movie of the year, and imo among the best movies period.

The visual and auditory experience, the voice acting, script, dialigues... Everything is excellent.
The humor is also on point, a mother behind us laughed so hard at the train and a few other scenes she ended up apologizing to us hehe.

I admit I was a bit worried for the numbers of the BO as our theater was a bit empty for a 7pm opening night, good to read that it is doung well.

Good to hear. With the fantastic word of mouth it should at least have decent legs. Which is how it will either sink or swim.

Who still thinks it's a good idea for DC to make an animated DCEU?

Yeah you'd never be able to sustain an live action scoped interconnected universe in animated, much the same way that LEGO fell off a cliff just going from LEGO to Batman and Ninja.

It will be interesting to see if WOM and continued exceptional quality could help Spider-verse avoid this fate. With a sequel and Spinoff already in the works Sony is clearly going to try their hands at a LEGO like animated mini cinematic universe franchise.

whalenapp81

Oct 29, 2017

I admit I was a bit worried for the numbers of the BO as our theater was a bit empty for a 7pm opening night, good to read that it is doung well.

I saw it on Friday afternoon with my brother-in law and I wanted to echo your sentiments. The movie was fantastic but I also worry about the BO. Our theater was kinda empty as well, so I hope it does well.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They should have used the Killing Joke movie as the launching point. And followed that up with Identity Crisis and Cry for Justice.
That's the trilogy the world deserves.
It enrages me we haven't gotten animated movies based on Blitz, Human race, Sins of Youth, and DC One Million.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who still thinks it's a good idea for DC to make an animated DCEU?

Remember that thread pre Venom where an era poster suggested that Marvel needed to act and ban Sony from making any Liveaction Spider-Man property based movies, but in exchange they would allow Sony to make Animated movies for the entire MCU? 'Everybody wins'?

Economic realities are more complicated, but let's all take a minute and remember that the budget for Venom was only 10m more than Spider-verse.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I am not sure why so much emphasis is being put on Lego Batman, when Lego Batman did terribly overseas. And while domestic was high enough to give a Lego Batman sequel a shot, I am not so sure that the Lego franchise has much gas left in the tank.

If people want more animated Marvel/DC superhero films, $300-400M globally isn't really going to cut it. You would get a better return out of a live action film with a similar budget (see Venom, Deadpool, and Logan).

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Nerds afraid of showing up to a Spiderman movie because it's animated and therefore for kids? Thought this movie would be doing much better.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
If people want more animated Marvel/DC superhero films, $300-400M globally isn't really going to cut it. You would get a better return out of a live action film with a similar budget (see Venom, Deadpool, and Logan).
Who wants to bet we're getting live action Miles once the Marvel Studios partnership is over?

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Who wants to bet we're getting live action Miles once the Marvel Studios partnership is over?

It would be worth a shot. you can only reboot high school Peter so many times in the span of a single generation.

No one has shown any interest in doing a film from the perspective of an older Spider-man

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure why so much emphasis is being put on Lego Batman, when Lego Batman did terribly overseas. And while domestic was high enough to give a Lego Batman sequel a shot, I am not so sure that the Lego franchise has much gas left in the tank.

LEGO did 470m with rave reviews and was enough to make WB go full steam ahead with three (three!) more movies. Budget difference of 30m isn't that consequential.

Animation houses are specialized and generally draw different demos with different experiences, so you're not just going to be better off doing a live action with those resources. It's still a different stream that can avoid the pitfalls of fully saturating your liveaction slate.

Spider-verse is getting even better reviews and could do close to LEGO. People just have no frame of reference for these types of films beyond the same logic that had LEGO Batman's performance making people shocked. 'It's LEGO and Batman! 1B WW!' Or thinking that CG animated features should all be Disney level takes to be a success (because it's Soider-Man?). That's just not the case.

Not to mention that Disney CG films have like twice the budget and marketing costs of Spider-verse for those takes and ancillary.

Emphasis is being put on LEGO Batman here because, before people started getting crazy with predictions, it was generally thought that Spider-verse doing 400m was likely and good; Sony would be thrilled with 500m. It has also been (wrongly) a reference point to the numbers for Spider-verse that we've seen so far when that just doesn't track.

LEGO Batman didn't do that terribly overseas, 136m versus the franchise peak of 211m. Spider-verse starting in a similar place to the LEGO Franchise doesn't mean that they will necessarily recreate the same mistakes, like having LEGO Batman and Ninja in the same year.

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017

So in conclusion, they should have made a live-action Lego Batman.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Marvel partnership prevent them from putting a different Spider-Man in the Venomverse?

Because I've been confused why they don't just do something like put Miles or Gwen live-action in it.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I would not say that at all. WB were dragging their feet for decades with Wonder Woman. The Snyders basically force that to happen. No way was WB going to do that on their own.

For whatever negatives people feel toward Snyder's films Justice League was all on WB. I'm at all going to put that blame on him or Whedon. That was all WB's mess and that's generally how a lot of people see it.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It would be worth a shot. you can only reboot high school Peter so many times in the span of a single generation.
Wouldn't get any complaints from me. I've always liked Miles.

They're sure as hell not going to return to Amazing but at the same time, hoping they don't try to reboot Peter on their own yet again.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
For all the gloom and doom, WB is making LEGO Batman 2. Spider verse 2 is gonna be fine at its budget and scope.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Nerds afraid of showing up to a Spiderman movie because it's animated and therefore for kids? Thought this movie would be doing much better.

it's the bros who are afraid of going to a kiddy cartoon spider-man for kids

looks like spiderverse will have the same opening weekend as sing. $270m domestic here we gooooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.