• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Illumination's Grinch is $30m away from passing the Jim Carrey one domestically and $10m away from passing it worldwide.

All that with a $50m lower budget.

Edit: I misread Box Office Mojo at first (it's ahead on the 35-day gross but hasn't passed the total yet).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So after this weekend Aquaman is going to be sitting on 300M? Jesus...

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
Went to see Aquaman in the little town where I live in China. The is small, but still had showings about every 45 minutes for Aquaman. The theater I was in was about a quarter full.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I suspected that Mortal Engines would be another Jupiter Ascending as far as sci-fi films went at the box office, but I wasn't expecting it to do even worse.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Spider-verse was excellent, and I am not a huge cartoon person, despite having to see a lot of them due to having a kid who is almost 5. The art style and animation is so creative, and the story was a great intro to Miles.

I wish that certain characters got more time, but there is only so much you can do in 2 hours.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-verse was excellent, and I am not a huge cartoon person, despite having to see a lot of them due to having a kid who is almost 5. The art style and animation is so creative, and the story was a great intro to Miles.

I wish that certain characters got more time, but there is only so much you can do in 2 hours.
It's a film were if they wanted to add another 10-15 minutes of just character development to one certain side one and a bit of the others. I'd have no problem with it. The film flew by.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
It's a film were if they wanted to add another 10-15 minutes of just character development to one certain side one and a bit of the others. I'd have no problem with it. The film flew by.

Yeah. It's funny to see one of the few negative reviews with this blurb,

If somehow those jokes could have been squeezed into a 90-minute package instead of a 117-minute feature, maybe Spider-Verse would have more zip.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and all, but uh

How long until Tencent buys Momoa

Momoa and Tom Hardy joining the Fast and Furious movies would be a $1B in China alone.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've heard that a couple of sequences are obviously cut down. I bet it was intended to be closer to 215m and Sony executives wanted it at a brisk 2 hours.

Edit:

Last edited:

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Man, my theater in Spider-verse barely had anyone in it. I'm really hoping that doesn't indicate anything.

Fuckin hell.
I've heard that a couple of sequences are obviously cut down. I bet it was intended to be closer to 215m and Sony executives wanted it at a brisk 2 hours.
I'd love to see the directors cut. The second half obviously had some parts where they were trying to crunch.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Deadline's Saturday morning update has Spider-Verse at $37.2M, Mule $17.8M, and Mortal Engines $7.7M which, to its credit, is higher than the $7.5M they had at midnight.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Screenshot_20181215-084905_Chrome.jpg

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Solid for 'Verse.
The Favourite is playing decently but not really breaking out.
Beale Street has a good PTA but I would have wanted it a touch higher.
Deadline's Saturday morning update has ... Mortal Engines $7.7M which, to its credit, is higher than the $7.5M they had at midnight.
I really don't see why they would bump it, then again Deadline are not good at maths. Or the English language.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China Saturday Estimates

Aquaman 165m / 1182m +92%
My Neighbor Totoro 37.5m / 56.74m +101%
Padman 14.1m / 24.54m +40%
Grinch 8.52m / 11.3m +213%
Searching 6.95m / 12.4m +36%
Venom 1.38m / 1865m +188%
Ralph 2 0.82m / 270m

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I normally don't root for movies in general to succeed (unless it's based on something of deep personal interest to me), and I especially don't root for comic-based movies (I am a moderate-level comic fan), but I really really want Aquaman to succeed. And so far it appears to be doing just that.

I think, in the end, it will be (overall) scored by critics as an above average film, with an enormous, positive fan following.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what Aquaman will do on the Amazon Prime ticket tonight. Both the theaters are sold out where I live.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
WB must be kicking themselves for giving Snyder so many chances, damn

As these non-Snyder DC films continue to kill it critically and commercially, it really drives home just how badly he fucked up Batman and Superman.

Also having a harder time imagining a full DCEU reboot if both Wonder Woman and Aquaman are successful. They might just recast Batman and Superman and leave it at that.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Totoro is doing really well in China. We get to add the release of a 30 year old anime to the list of things that are bigger than Star Wars in China this year.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
As these non-Snyder DC films continue to kill it critically and commercially, it really drives home just how badly he fucked up Batman and Superman.

Also having a harder time imagining a full DCEU reboot if both Wonder Woman and Aquaman are successful. They might just recast Batman and Superman and leave it at that.

I can't really blame Snyder solely after seeing how WB handled all their properties prior. Whoever wanted to expedite the properties immediately after Man of Steel felt more problematic.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

Given the movies they currently have in development, that's probably gonna be the move. They seem much more interested in working on lesser known characters atm. Even Reeve's Batman feels more like a formality than something they feel they absolutely have to get out. Their attitude feels very, "Eh. It'll be out when it's out. We ain't tripping.
manny.png
" If people are digging the films beyond the ones featuring those two, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Just recast and keep it pushing.

In that way, Synder's movies being so poorly received may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. DC as a property always had more potential than being "The Batman Show (sometimes featuring Superman maybe)." Synder taking a lot of the shine off those characters at the same time lesser known/oft ignored DC characters are succeeding in film and other media may prove better for them in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.