• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lego Batman is barely over Smallfoot internationally.

Right but people were getting the wrong idea from your earlier post and assuming apocalyptic numbers. Coming close to Lego Batman lifetime gross over the weekend isn't so bad.

South Korea's weekend gross for Lego Batman was $208,189.
You said Spider-verse was around 600k (2 days +sneaks?)

It sounded like you were speaking to the 400-500m WW crowd as oppose to the 600-800m crowd. Unless you do mean that the movie will, in your opinion, miss 400m.
Do you have any other regions we can compare?

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
So two days ago, Variety put out an article with 2019 predictions and of course it had the yearly 'Sony Pictures is totally getting sold! This time it's real, trust me!' nonsense in a short paragraph that predicts Apple is going to buy Sony Pictures

Apple Shells Out for Sony Pictures
The Silicon Valley giant will finally recognize it could use some Hollywood expertise as it tries to catch up with Netflix's and Amazon's streaming services. Buying Sony gives Apple access to a library that includes "Men in Black," "Breaking Bad" and "Jumanji," as well as the right to make more "Spider-Man" movies. That's a web Apple would be lucky to spin. Also, buying a studio is basically a rounding error for a company worth $1 trillion.

This already spawned multiple reddit threads and videos by trash channels like ComicBookCast2 who still has his ego hurt by Venom's success spewing bullshit stating that Sony is doing poorly outside of Playstation and is totally going to sell because they can't survive

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Spider-verse will make less money due to Venom. Far From Home will make more money due to Spider-verse, and in turn making Venom 2 even more money. Avi Arad and Venom won.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So two days ago, Variety put out an article with 2019 predictions and of course it had the yearly 'Sony Pictures is totally getting sold! This time it's real, trust me!' nonsense in a short paragraph that predicts Apple is going to buy Sony Pictures

This already spawned multiple reddit threads and videos by trash channels like ComicBookCast2 who still has his ego hurt by Venom's success spewing bullshit stating that Sony is doing poorly outside of Playstation and is totally going to sell because they can't survive

I love when shit like this spouted by publications even after the new head of Sony said that they are switching to an IP company. So clearly....that means sell your IP. I can't even can't even sometimes

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Right but people were getting the wrong idea from your earlier post and assuming apocalyptic numbers. Coming close to Lego Batman lifetime gross over the weekend isn't so bad.

South Korea's weekend gross for Lego Batman was $208,189.
You said Spider-verse was around 600k (2 days +sneaks?)

It sounded like you were speaking to the 400-500m WW crowd as oppose to the 600-800m crowd. Unless you do mean that the movie will, in your opinion, miss 400m.
Do you have any other regions we can compare?

It's too early to throw out worldwide grosses because I still have no real idea how Spider-verse will do domestically. Plus December complicates things. However, things don't look very good at the moment.

In the UK:

It opened to second behind Aquaman yesterday, but is now behind Creed 2 (which opened 2 weeks ago) and Bohemian Rhapsody (which opened Oct 26th). The gap between it and Aquaman is apparently huge, but I can't find numbers yet.

Lego Batman made around 35M in the UK, which was more than what Wonder Woman or Justice League made there last year.

Edit: Last weekend, Ralph and Grinch were the top 2 movies in the UK, but were not the top 2 in the previous dailies. So it does seem like Animation gets a bigger weekend bump. However nothing made much more than 3M last weekend, and presumably Creed 2 is another 40% or so weaker this week (maybe more with Aquaman. No major openers last weekend). So that sort of caps how well Spider-verse could be doing.

Last edited:

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
The only joy I'll take is that it'll be easy to get in this weekend and I won't have to deal with crowds.

Otherwise, we failed. Each and every one of us.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
675k for Mortal Engines. Bombs Away!

Universal/Media Rights Capital's Mortal Engines also started its engines last night from 7PM shows making only $675K from 2,600 locations, a disaster for film that the production claims cost $100M+, but rival financiers say is higher (around $150M). How bad is that number? Well, Universal made more money from its Legendary bombs Warcraft and The Great Wall on their preview nights respectively with $3.1M and $970K. Versus other sci-fi bombs, Mortal Engines made less than Warner Bros.' Jupiter Ascending ($975K) and EuropaCorp's Valerian ($1.7M). This Peter Jackson/WingNut produced sci-fi fantasy film is expected to sputter out with $8M-$11M over three-days.

Woof.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Spider-Man Intoverse is not a movie for everyone . Those LSD colors and cringe comic things like "WOAHHHHHH" or 15 minute purple fight dimension fight in the end bored most of people in theater. (Which was 1/3 full) IMAX screen.

It is good it exist but not gonna be huge.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man Intoverse is not a movie for everyone . Those LSD colors and cringe comic things like "WOAHHHHHH" or 15 minute purple fight dimension fight in the end bored most of people in theater. (Which was 1/3 full) IMAX screen.

It is good it exist but not gonna be huge.

We shall see but most every reaction I've read highly disagrees with this. I'll also add that people also love the comic book presentation and cringe is not the word I would ever associated with that kind of visual flair.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Studios only get like 20% of the ticket sales from China, right?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
About $8M of that was China, so around $11.5M or so for the openers. Justice League's first Thursday was $18M, but JL opened in over 25 more territories, including Australia, Germany, France, Italy, South Korea, and Spain.

Yes, Aquaman's release schedule is fragmented, this is an excellent result for a Holiday release when you take that in consideration.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
About $8M of that was China, so around $11.5M or so for the openers. Justice League's first Thursday was $18M, but JL opened in over 25 more territories, including Australia, Germany, France, Italy, South Korea, and Spain.

Oh also learned that THR helps break it down a bit more.

UAE opened to an estimated AED 2.5m ($691k) on 150 screens, dominating the market with over 75% share of the Top 5 films. These results can claim as the 3rd biggest opening day ever for a WB film!

And Malaysia also commanded the market, coming in as the 3rd biggest opening day ever for a WB film at MYR 2.6m ($617k) on 750 screens and grabbing 87% share of the Top 5 films.

UK continued its previews on Thursday, bringing in an estimated £552k ($698k) on 843 screens and maintaining the top spot with a 53% share of the Top 5 films in the market. The 2-day cume is now £1.4m ($1.8m).

After its record breaking opening on Wednesday claiming the Highest Opening Day Ever in the DC Universe, the 2nd Highest Opening Day Ever for a WB film and the 3rd All Time Biggest Industry Opening Day, Indonesia generated an outstanding IDR 15.5b ($1.1m) on 1,424 screens and bringing the running cume to IDR 31.7b ($2.2m).

Taiwan took in an estimated NT$19m ($615k) on Thursday from 339 screens, bringing the 2-day cume to NT$42.7m ($1.4m).

With an opening Wednesday that now ranks as the biggest opening day for a WB title in 2018,Philippines generated an estimated PhP 29.6m ($560k) from 588 screens on Thursday, holding on to the top spot and taking the 2-day cume to PhP 60.2m ($1.1m).

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
It's too early to throw out worldwide grosses because I still have no real idea how Spider-verse will do domestically. Plus December complicates things. However, things don't look very good at the moment.

In the UK:

It opened to second behind Aquaman yesterday, but is now behind Creed 2 (which opened 2 weeks ago) and Bohemian Rhapsody (which opened Oct 26th). The gap between it and Aquaman is apparently huge, but I can't find numbers yet.

Lego Batman made around 35M in the UK, which was more than what Wonder Woman or Justice League made there last year.

Edit: Last weekend, Ralph and Grinch were the top 2 movies in the UK, but were not the top 2 in the previous dailies. So it does seem like Animation gets a bigger weekend bump. However nothing made much more than 3M last weekend, and presumably Creed 2 is another 40% or so weaker this week (maybe more with Aquaman. No major openers last weekend). So that sort of caps how well Spider-verse could be doing.

i was buying my dragon ball ticket yesterday (i'm in the UK), and i asked the dude behind the counter if spider-man was doing well... and he simply replied 'nah mate, it's dead on arrival'

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I do think Spider-verse would have done better in a less crowded release window. But honestly the art/animation style was never very appealing to general audiences. It's kind of a tough sell too with the whole multiverse thing.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Spidey Verse is such an anomaly in a sense, was always going to be a hard sell. Most casuals probably don't even get it and/or think it's similar to a made for tv type of animated movie.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So much good news on the bus a article that is being unread

....2nd UPDATE 9:47AM Sony Animation's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse swung into Thursday grossing $3.5 million from showtimes starting at 5 PM from 3,321 locations, a solid number for this time of year....

....with this type of Thursday for the Bob Persichetti-, Peter Ramsey- and Rodney Rothman-directed film, Spider-Verse has to overindex (in which case many believe that could be in the $40M range)....

....pre-sales for Spider-Verse were far ahead of Lego Ninjago at the same point in time; that Warner Bros. pic opened to $20.4M in September 2017...

....Spider-Verse's Thursday number is higher than Universal/Illumination's Tuesday night $1.7M previews for Sing two years ago when it launched before Christmas, turning in an opening day of $11M...

....Spider-Verse beat the Thursday $2.2M previews of that film, which posted a $14.4M opening day and $53M opening....

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
3rd Update: Right now the box office is pacing as tracking predicted: Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse with a $35M-$40M after a $12M Friday, Warner Bros./Bron Studio's The Mule is 2nd with $18M after $6M today and Universal/Media Rights Capital's Mortal Engines dying with $8M-$9M over the next three days in 5th place with $3M tonight. The latter Peter Jackson-WingNut produced movie has already logged $25.1M abroad from plays in 43 territories including South Korea, Russia and Australia.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Spider-verse having heavy preview frontloading for animation doesn't surprise me. The same thing happened to The Incredibles 2. A lot of teenagers and younger adults are interested, so previews go up.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
12m Friday would be a good start.

CHINA Friday Estimates (Yuan)

Aquaman 86M/1017M,+57%
(That's better than Venoms +37 bounce on its 2nd Friday, and beats Venom in raw numbers)
My Neighbor Totoro 18.8M/19.4M OD
Padman 10.2M/10.6M OD (a better start than some were fearing)
Searching 5.2M/5.56M OD
Grinch 2.8M OD
Venom 0.48m/1864m (doh! That's what I get for forgetting to input the upcoming releases :p)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.