• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Having read up on what inspired it, yeah it does. I think it will be one of those cases where the commercials doesn't really speak for the film. I am kinda of mad they are hiding why he was beaten, they should put that shit front and center. So there is nothing wrong with it

I... honestly assume it was some sort of accident and a sort of feel good drama.

Read up on it because of the conversation and...yeah

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Well, it's pretty refreshing to see such enthusiasm about that film. I'll be seeing it next monday and I really look forward to it even though I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Its box-office prospects are pretty fascinating. It's doing well in China but I don't see it performing all that well in Europe. And America is a complete question mark for me. But I feel like anything above 600 million worldwide should be considered a success for that film considering the circumstances.

I'm honestly expecting a through the roof word of mouth for this. And it's well deserved. Top 3 superhero film of the year, and potentially the best DC films outing since TDK. It looks WAY expensive than the budget says and it shows on the screen, unlike the Snyder's joints. And people underplaying this film potential with families, teenagers and the "superhero spectacle" crowd are in for an awakening. This COULD rival Wonder Woman's box office, and the way I see it now, the other films should be afraid of being close to Aquaman, not the other way around.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I can also see most people not caring that it's a retread of the original and just go with the good nature of it.
So far being just above average, unimaginative live action retreads did not stop The Jungle Book or Beauty and the Beast from doing gangbusters. I'm expecting strong numbers from Poppins as long as it meets exactly these criteria and doesn't completely collapse overseas.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I'm honestly expecting a through the roof word of mouth for this. And it's well deserved. Top 3 superhero film of the year, and potentially the best DC films outing since TDK. It looks WAY expensive than the budget says and it shows on the screen, unlike the Snyder's joints. And people underplaying this film potential with families, teenagers and the "superhero spectacle" crowd are in for an awakening. This COULD rival Wonder Woman's box office, and the way I see it now, the other films should be afraid of being close to Aquaman, not the other way around.

You have enthusiasm, yet so many geek reviewers and such who have seen it have been mixed on it. Aquaman being ... Aquaman and the tepid critical reception so far is not exactly a good start.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
So Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Spider-verse are all getting a bunch of international launches this week.

Early Aquaman numbers mostly look good from what I can see. The other two, not so much. Downgrade your expectations for Spider-verse's international take I think.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
I'll call this one right now:

Aquaman WILL breakout in the USA. And yes, I'm talking BREAKOUT, meaning that it could at least rival Poppins or even top it. It's an insane masterpiece of spectacle cinema, and it might as well be my favorite DCEU film, and I gave Wonder Woman a perfect 10 score. It's interesting because while I don't think I can do the same for Aquaman and while the importance of Wonder Woman is obviously bigger, I just think there's importance and merit for this film to breakout.

Call me out on it later.
You calling Wonder Woman a perfect 10 doesn't make your enthusiasm for Aquaman better it just makes it more skeptical lol

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Wonder Woman. Probably up there with MCU, Logan and Deadpool in terms of Modern Comic Book films for me.

I have high hopes for Aquaman, but I wasn't at Wonder Woman levels of excitement. I'm hoping my expectations are surpassed though.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
So Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Spider-verse are all getting a bunch of international launches this week.

Early Aquaman numbers mostly look good from what I can see. The other two, not so much. Downgrade your expectations for Spider-verse's international take I think.
i knew it..

something about the animation style really bothers me even though it looks cool

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After some poor m-w holds, Aquaman has a fantastic hold in China on Thursday. Pulled in almost 58m Yuan, and looks like it could do 80-90m on Friday. If it doesn't start overtaking Venom through the weekend and Monday, then it never will, but it has some strong signals that it may do just that.

Last edited:

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York

How soft are we talking here

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017

We get one of the best superhero movies in recent years and the market shuns it because it is not live action. Fucking unreal.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someone at Disney is getting fired for not making Solo there Christmas Action Film tentpole.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm thinking WB will make an Aquaman 2.

Any chance they can have Flash delay Fantastic Beasts 3 instead of the other way around?

We get one of the best superhero movies in recent years and the market shuns it because it is not live action. Fucking unreal.

On one hand I'm not surprised.

On the other Incredibles 2 made nearly $1.25B ($600M+ dom). Maybe with adaptations of existing properties they want to see it live action. Or it's the dope style Spider-verse went with over what you typically see in animated movies.

The two recent examples were LEGO Batman and Spider-verse and both had unconventional aesthetics. Who knows what'll happen if someone makes, like, the animated Avengers movie and give it the same look as a Pixar movie.

It's the internet so of course someone made something. Justice League instead of Avengers, but same point.

zATqz3W.jpg

Would audiences be in for an animated comic movie like that?

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Any chance they can have Flash delay Fantastic Beasts 3 instead of the other way around?

On the other Incredibles 2 made nearly $1.25B ($600M+ dom). Maybe with adaptations of existing properties they want to see it live action. Or it's the dope style Spider-verse went with over what you typically see in animated movies.

The two recent examples were LEGO Batman and Spider-verse and both had unconventional aesthetics. Who knows what'll happen if someone makes, like, the animated Avengers movie and give it the same look as a Pixar movie.

It's the internet so of course someone made something. Justice League instead of Avengers, but same point.

zATqz3W.jpg

I have a post about this as a draft, but a big part of the issue with having simultaneous live action / CG treatments is not just that GA prefers live action, it's that the animated stuff by default becomes a spin off that can't be seen as equal importance. If DC had hit it big with animated features first, then it would shift, but you wouldn't see the kind of numbers, or 'connected universes to scale' as you can get with Live Action. There's a reason why LA has so many more sequel franchises than Animated.

With LEGO Batman it was even worse because it was asking the GA to buy into like 3 seperate sub entities (LEGO-Batman-LEGO Batman-LEGO movie Spinoff). The LEGO movie worked because it was LEGO, take a look at the drops that LEGO-Ninja and LEGO-Batman had.

I think it's a bit premature for doom and gloom of Spider-verse, but this is exactly why I've been so hard on the marketing. Focusing on Spider-people/man instead of selling the heart of the characters, conflicts, and Miles specifically screams to audiences that it's a gimmick movie without any reason to watch it for its own content or story. Just like LEGO Batman got regulated to enthusiast status (although that movie didn't actually have much to say).

But Spider-verse has good WOM going for it. Getting people to see it will be the biggest hurdle.

Last edited:

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017

Big Hero 6 did decently well I suppose. It irritates me to no end that many people prefer to consume something that is tried and true and the more creative stuff gets bumped to the wayside.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big Hero 6 did decently well I suppose. It irritates me to no end that many people prefer to consume something that is tried and true and the more creative stuff gets bumped to the wayside.

BH6 was still its own thing though, that's why it was able to attract people more easily on the promise of the premise since it's not an adjunct property/adaptation.

Spider-verse is very original and executed, but it is an adaptation of existing property and characters.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
BH6 was still its own thing though, that's why it was able to attract people more easily on the promise of the premise since it's not an adjunct property/adaptation.

Spider-verse is very original and executed, but it is an adaptation of existing property and characters.
So what you're implying is that a well presented original animated superhero movie stands a better chance of succeeding than an adaptation of a popular and established superhero IP? Pretty crazy if that's true. Then again, I think there's a reason why animated superhero movies are few and far in between.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Verse really isn't gonna set the world on fire, huh? Dam shame. The movie really is the best superhero movie this year.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what you're implying is that a well presented original animated superhero movie stands a better chance of succeeding than an adaptation of a popular and established superhero IP? Pretty crazy if that's true.

Provided that there is already an existing live action (feature?) adaptation in concurrence it jumps to like 100%. The live action adaptation gains primary importance and authenticity.

I seriously doubt we will ever see an animated SH adaptation match the numbers of Incredibles or Big Hero 6. Megamind could go down tho :p

Last edited:

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Now I'm curious to see what the Superpets movie would do.

It has name brands, but not necessarily 1 to 1 with live-action films

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's only one way to save Spider-Verse. We need to perform the Box-OfficeERA ban sacrifice. It never fails.

Who's willing to post that Spider-Verse will make one billion dollars at the Box Office and then get banned for a month? Anyone?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get that Bluray

Nice to see the conversion listed!

Venom has done an additional 2.23m in China since last weekend started. It currently sits at 270.61m. It has continuously gained back showings since the big cut on the weekend with a decently strong PTA, so we'll see how much is drops by this weekend. I'm personally thinking that we will see it do +1m, getting it into the 3.25-3.5m range. So 'barely' down from last weekends 1.4-1.5. My infamous (and buggy, but I learned a lot and fixed a couple things since tracking Venom) model has it at 1.2.

(Spider-verse opening weekend: 42m)

Last edited:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Bumblebee is getting great reviews, but that doesn't seem to be translating into interest just yet. We'll see.

Poppins shall be interesting to watch, the reviews aren't as slam dunk as expected, but I can also see most people not caring that it's a retread of the original and just go with the good nature of it.
The last two Transformers flicks just burnt out the audience. 4 was held up by China and 5 had people just tired of it. Sadly Bee has to pay for those sins.

And I think Poppins is just too old of a property alongside too young. I see interest, but its mainly coming from the Disney fanatics and parents wanting to take their kids

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman currently has a 1% currency advantage in China, it could end up overtaking Venom in USD and losing in local Currency. It will need to match/beat Infinity Wars 2nd weekend in China (54.8m) to have a shot at beating Venom's lifetime (of [probably] over 275m). Reports are that weather in the bigger areas has improved a bit, and Thursday had a great hold, so we'll see if this carries over to the weekend.

Also in my Animation versus Live Action thing, I should point out that you'd also fair better making Live Action adaptation of animated features than you probably would creating Animated Adaptations of a Live Action. A bit of a special example, but you need look no further than Disney's live action adaptations. Could you see them doing as well as animated features in the alternate universe where they were live action movies first? Probably not.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Once again, a great film gets fucked over because the studio wouldn't change its release date...

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once again, a great film gets fucked over because the studio wouldn't change its release date...

We shall see. I really think that Spider-verse is a film that will either 'succeed' or 'fail' (by our expectations and hopes) over time and it won't be opening big in pretty much any market. It still has a shot to turn in decent numbers in markets where it opens weak.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

We will see how it fares domestically.

But in South Korea for instance, Spider-verse's total doesn' look like it will catch Venom's first day (of $5.7M). First two days were about $500k combined, with another $100k in sneaks. It is 4th place in the daily charts behind two local films, and Bohemian Rhapsody which came out 6 weeks ago. Homecoming made over $50M in South Korea, so it is not like they hate the character.

The rest of Asia looks the same so far. Europe is also weak.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We will see how it fares domestically.

But in South Korea for instance, Spider-verse's total doesn' look like it will catch Venom's first day (of $5.7M). First two days were about $500k combined, with another $100k in sneaks. It is 4th place in the daily charts behind two local films, and Bohemian Rhapsody which came out 6 weeks ago. Homecoming made over $50M in South Korea, so it is not like they hate the character.

The rest of Asia looks the same so far. Europe is also weak.

I mean, that's still a way better start than what Lego Batman did in comparison. I still don't think that the INT take for Spider-verse will suck, certainly not to the level of Lego Batman (that pulled in 136m INT).

Lego Batman Lifetime Gross
South Korea

Total $1,000,000

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=KR&id=lego2.htm

Universal praise will also help some, in theory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.