• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
FWIW Spider-verse has a lot going for it and could still outperform that range Domestically.

It shouldn't be too hard to beat the paltry 136m LEGO Batman did internationally. XD
Man I still don't get how did Lego Batman fail internationally.

Aquaman in China is looking to be around 180 million after its second weekend. Can it top 300?

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman in China is looking to be around 180 million after its second weekend. Can it top 300?

Probably not. The thought was that the super high user reviews would lead to amazing weekday holds, but that isn't happening. It is over 20M behind Venom and dropping. Venom had good holds, so I don't see where is gains the extra 45M over Venom going forward to hit 300M.

We will know more this weekend.

Edit: I was looking at the wrong day for Venom. Fixed the gap to the correct 20M

Last edited:

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I'm going to see the Spiderman movie friday afternoon cause I want more animated movies on Spidey but I pretty much hate Spider-verse, I always found it stupid and always will, hope the movie is ok.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to see the Spiderman movie friday afternoon cause I want more animated movies on Spidey but I pretty much hate Spider-verse, I always found it stupid and always will, hope the movie is ok.

From what I've read the only thing it takes from the comic event is the name and the idea of multiple Spideys fighting together.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I still don't get how did Lego Batman fail internationally.

Right now things are in limbo a bit. It massively out performed similar bounces and drops that Venom did initially over the weekend.

But has dropped a bit harder since. It's a little unknown at the moment because it shouldn't be dropping this much during week days following traditional trajectories (even China's) but there has been some talk that cold weather is keeping some people home.

It stands a decent chance of beating Venoms 2nd weekend, as Aquaman will hold on to about 40% of its showings from OW versus the 33% Venom had.

It should also get a bit of a boost from Christmas and New Years. It's not impossible that it still reaches 300m but it needs to bounce big on the weekend and even then reaching said milestone is more likely out of reach than not.

Nov 1, 2017
Man, Holmes and Watson is just gonna get fucking railed isn't it? Very little marketing and the marketing that is there is aggressively awful. Almost impressive how little hype there is for it.

Nov 1, 2017

Right? You'd think it could be successful solely because it's the only comedy coming out around Christmas (unless you count Vice) and it stars a pair with a proven track record but then you see the trailer and you're like "Oof, I don't know". Almost feels like the studio is trying to bury it under the onslaught of other December releases.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews have started trickling out for Eastwood's "The Mule" and they seem to be leaning in the positive.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
boxoffice.com are cowards:

Code:
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse  $36,000,000   $36,000,000   NEW
The Mule                           $17,000,000   $17,000,000   NEW
The Grinch                         $10,900,000   $238,800,000  -28%
Ralph Breaks the Internet          $10,000,000   $155,200,000  -38%
Mortal Engines                     $9,600,000    $9,600,000    NEW

Their range for Spider-Verse is $30 – 45 million which is certainly a way to hedge your bets. And just to reiterate a $36M opening would be good, would be a full million above Sing that went on to make $270M. So pls don't freak out yet.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Minus Sing's Wednesday opening factor.

But Ferdinand had a 6x multi at this point last year.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Holmes and Watson is just gonna get fucking railed isn't it? Very little marketing and the marketing that is there is aggressively awful. Almost impressive how little hype there is for it.

Too bad Adam McKay didnt make it. Step Brothers and Talladega Nights two of my most watched comedies ever and easily his best flicks to date imo

Nov 30, 2018

Code:

Their range for Spider-Verse is $30 – 45 million which is certainly a way to hedge your bets. And just to reiterate a $36M opening would be good, would be a full million above Sing that went on to make $270M. So pls don't freak out yet.

Lmao The Mule at 2nd place

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Code:

Specifically:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Opening Weekend Range: $30 – 45 million

PROS:

• Spider-Man remains one of the most reliable and popular comic book properties of all time.
  • Wildly positive reviews (the film sits at 99 percent on Rotten Tomatoes currently) are driving even more enthusiasm for this unique animated take on the franchise.
  • As the first high-profile title to hit theaters since Thanksgiving, the combination of minimal competition and all-ages appeal should drive healthy family business. Awareness and interest have been increasingly positive.
  • Some pre-release tracking metrics have approached the levels of Hotel Transylvania 3 and The LEGO Batman Movie.
CONS:

• Some immediacy is diminished by the fact that this is unrelated to Sony's live-action Spidey films, part of the bigger Marvel Cinematic Universe, and represents the character's fourth film to release in just over six years.
  • With Christmas less than two weeks away, strong holding power in the weeks ahead is more likely than a big debut typically expected of superhero properties as some families may wait to check out the film until their holiday vacation officially begins. Existing competition from The Grinch and Ralph Breaks the Internet, while not at their peak, remains a factor as well.
------------------

Point of order on the first con. The after credits scene of Venom suggests strongly that the two films are a part of the same multiversal cluster.

Everyone needs to calibrate their expectations a bit for Spider-Verse. It COULD blow up, and tracking for it has certainly improved since Sony did operation 'get the word out', but not every film is going to be Venom big. ;)

Spider-Verse has a great hand to play with the WOM/Reviews/Christmas season. Animated films that aren't Disney don't tend to open all that high, but the Christmas season does wonders for films box office.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Do the commercials for Marwen make it look unintentionally goofy as shit to anyone else?
Having read up on what inspired it, yeah it does. I think it will be one of those cases where the commercials doesn't really speak for the film. I am kinda of mad they are hiding why he was beaten, they should put that shit front and center. So there is nothing wrong with it

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

39-40m in the Christmas season would be a great start for Spider-Verse my dudes.

Consider that Moana, Disneys 'followup to Frozen', opened to 57m.

Last edited:

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's a good thing I'm not a betting man, if you gave me the best odds in the world I wouldn't take that of Aquaman, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins Returns that Bumblebee would be the film that reviews best.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
You know besides BTTF trilogy and Roger Rabbit I've never outright liked any of Zemeckis's movies. They're pretty good at best with some good moments sprinkled in, and a lot of that comes from the lead actor(s) doing the heavy lifting.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'll call this one right now:

Aquaman WILL breakout in the USA. And yes, I'm talking BREAKOUT, meaning that it could at least rival Poppins or even top it. It's an insane masterpiece of spectacle cinema, and it might as well be my favorite DCEU film, and I gave Wonder Woman a perfect 10 score. It's interesting because while I don't think I can do the same for Aquaman and while the importance of Wonder Woman is obviously bigger, I just think there's importance and merit for this film to breakout.

Call me out on it later.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I expect moderate success for Aquaman, but nothing major. It will surely beat JL, but doubt it will match WW. There doesn't seem to be much hype at all for it, the family crowds are gonna go nuts for Poppins, Bumblebee is getting really high reviews, and so much other competition, all the DCEU negativity.... I don't see it exploding at this point.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I expect moderate success for Aquaman, but nothing major. It will surely beat JL, but doubt it will match WW. There doesn't seem to be much hype at all for it, the family crowds are gonna go nuts for Poppins, Bumblebee is getting really high reviews, and so much other competition, all the DCEU negativity.... I don't see it exploding at this point.

Bumblebee is getting great reviews, but that doesn't seem to be translating into interest just yet. We'll see.

Poppins shall be interesting to watch, the reviews aren't as slam dunk as expected, but I can also see most people not caring that it's a retread of the original and just go with the good nature of it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Bumblebee is getting great reviews, but that doesn't seem to be translating into interest just yet. We'll see.

Poppins shall be interesting to watch, the reviews aren't as slam dunk as expected, but I can also see most people not caring that it's a retread of the original and just go with the good nature of it.

I dont think it's gonna be big, but good reviews does put some spotlight on Bee, and the marketing has been nuts for it. The point is all the competition and so many people going for a piece of the pie, they are gonna cannibalize each others takes.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I leaning closer and closer to the "everything will do fine, but nothing will do well" camp for this holiday season. Just feeling that everything is reviewing too well for something to be the runaway breakout. Which given my luck and accuracy history that means Mortal Engines is about to make 1.2 Billion.

Oct 25, 2017
Having read up on what inspired it, yeah it does. I think it will be one of those cases where the commercials doesn't really speak for the film. I am kinda of mad they are hiding why he was beaten, they should put that shit front and center. So there is nothing wrong with it

There's a line in the commercials about how what happened to him was a "hate crime!" but that's as far as it goes. I don't know if the trailer elaborates on it or not.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Zemeckis is so weird. He used to be such a profoundly audience-pleasing filmmaker. I kinda loved Beowulf when I first saw it but I could tell that the entire theater was just not having it.
I'll call this one right now:

Aquaman WILL breakout in the USA. And yes, I'm talking BREAKOUT, meaning that it could at least rival Poppins or even top it. It's an insane masterpiece of spectacle cinema, and it might as well be my favorite DCEU film, and I gave Wonder Woman a perfect 10 score. It's interesting because while I don't think I can do the same for Aquaman and while the importance of Wonder Woman is obviously bigger, I just think there's importance and merit for this film to breakout.

Call me out on it later.
Well, it's pretty refreshing to see such enthusiasm about that film. I'll be seeing it next monday and I really look forward to it even though I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Its box-office prospects are pretty fascinating. It's doing well in China but I don't see it performing all that well in Europe. And America is a complete question mark for me. But I feel like anything above 600 million worldwide should be considered a success for that film considering the circumstances.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Its box-office prospects are pretty fascinating. It's doing well in China but I don't see it performing all that well in Europe. And America is a complete question mark for me. But I feel like anything above 600 million worldwide should be considered a success for that film considering the circumstances.

Aquaman is going to make at least $225M in China, and maybe more. Starting out with that, it would be very difficult to come in below $600M WW. I'd say $700M is the success threshold right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.