• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman is currently running just ahead of Venom for aligned first Monday in China. Keep in mind that Venom started to out perform Infibity War by day 7. Aquaman could beat that.

I'm just going to say it: the marketing for Spider-verse has sucked ass. Sure the hardcore loves trailers focused only on Spider-people, but it has done everything in its power to convince the average person that it's a weightless skip-able lower tier CGI gimmick fest with no real core emotional beats. It doesn't even clearly present stakes to get invested in. What the average person is left with is a whole lot of zany and they probably think that the movie straight up invented a lot of spider-people for jokes for all they know of Spider-noire, Spider-ham, and Penny Parker. Heck they probably think that miles is 'black Spider-man' and Gwen is 'Girl Spider-Man' and the trailers have done absolutely nothing to convince anyone that there's more depth to it than that. (Aside from the first one with miles, but it has likely been long faded from memory)

Spider-verse will do strong within its bracket due to WOM, but I'm not expecting an actual breakout breakout. Of course seeing the movie myself may shift my opinion, but that's part of the problem I think: It's a bit too off normative to really draw in beyond the comic demo. People will hear that it's amazing but a lot of them won't be interested in seeing it regardless.

1.5 Solos high end:

considering the added marketing, reviews, and Christmas. That's still almost twice what Lego Batman did I'm just being very hard in the marketing for this movie for dropping the ball relative to what is apparently there.

See, I get what you're saying, but everything will still hurt.

Also I decree Bronson is a failure.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think, depending on reaction, Aquaman will also suck up the air from Spider-verse

More so that if given a choice in superhero movies, people tend to prefer live-action... even though animation is far superior for the genre!

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I just want point out that I've only had a gut feeling that Spider-Verse wouldn't do as hot as people want, I'm not a monster like Bronson.

Agreed. I think the animation style might be a little too 'esoteric' for mainstream audiences to really get onboard with.

We'll find out soon enough.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse had screenings every day at my local AMC this weekend and wasn't selling out. You can't do shitty straight to dvd cartoons for years and then decide to put one in the theater.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Spiderverse had screenings every day at my local AMC this weekend and wasn't selling out. You can't do shitty straight to dvd cartoons for years and then decide to put one in the theater.

Wait what?

Which shitty spider-man animated movies are we talking?

Also just looked at local screenings and yeah, can show up at the door for Spider-verse (And Aquaman just don't expect good seats at imax)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Got a real bad feeling about The Mule. Movie came out of nowhere, hasn't been screened for press, and apparently isn't even doing Thursday night showings?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got a real bad feeling about The Mule. Movie came out of nowhere, hasn't been screened for press, and apparently isn't even doing Thursday night showings?

Could be WB is playing it coy and trying for a Million Dollar Baby came out of nowhere hype situation. Theaters around me are still sorting out what will play this weekend. Most don't even have Thursday's showtimes up yet.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Ralph cost 175 million to make? That's just fucking stupid.

To add to what others have said, while Ralph seems to be one of the more expensive WDAS films (though not by much , they usually cost around $150 mil, and I'm not counting that legendary Tangled budget which includes years of development hell and discarded ideas), the last Pixar film to cost less than 175 was Ratatouille, over 10 years ago.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
To add to what others have said, while Ralph seems to be one of the more expensive WDAS films (though not by much , they usually cost around $150 mil, and I'm not counting that legendary Tangled budget which includes years of development hell and discarded ideas), the last Pixar film to cost less than 175 was Ratatouille, over 10 years ago.

I've never read about the Pixar/Disney productions costs. What on earth costs so much? I know they have a long production time, but still.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think asked in last thread and not sure if got an answer

How is Bumblebee's advanced screening numbers counted? Will we get an estimate or just rolled into opening night numbers

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that Aquaman is out somewhere in the world and yet reviews are still not up.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
I think it will open low then blow up due to constant word of mouth. In the way Pixars 'Coco' did.
Coco needed China and Mexico to achieve that though, I highly doubt if Spider-verse has any giganic overseas market to bank on. Domestically Coco did only mediocre, though if Into the Spider-verse can reach Coco's domestic number, that's pretty good I suppose.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
How is Bumblebee's advanced screening numbers counted? Will we get an estimate or just rolled into opening night numbers
Yes.

(ok so more serious answer, they will probably just end up getting rolled into the opening night numbers, but there might be reporting on how they did. When Jumanji did the early screening stunt last year , we got early reporting on how it did, it got rolled up in opening day at first, and now it's not rolled into opening day on BOM)

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
It actually felt like a Saturday morning cartoon on the big screen. Kind of like the Teen Titans film.

Nov 30, 2018
I think asked in last thread and not sure if got an answer

Showing at the theater I work at was sold out - though it only had 152 seats.

I'm sure both it and Spider-Verse (also sold out for screening) did quite well those days

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well still have to see it's secind weekend and 2nd Monday but the symbiotic May yet fend off Aquaman.
Domestically or worldwide?
Domestically 1.5 Solos is actually really amazing and would be considered a huge break out.

Total in whatever shape that takes. 1.5 Solo is about 600m, so that's my ceiling. Anything else would be

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know the number of screens Spiderverse is opening in this weekend? Looking at buying tickets in a major metro and it looks like there are only like 4-5 showing a day.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
idk how aquaman will do in the US and EU, it looks like a cheesy B movie
I never got this

From the last trailer, especially, it looks visually stunning. The action set pieces look great. And the trailer theme, which I hope will carry over to the movie, is phenomenal.

Never mind it has a sizeable budget behind it.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got this

From the last trailer, especially, it looks visually stunning. The action set pieces look great. And the trailer theme, which I hope will carry over to the movie, is phenomenal.

Never mind it has a sizeable budget behind it.
The underwater action looks way off
When it's not moving, sure it looks good

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I just want point out that I've only had a gut feeling that Spider-Verse wouldn't do as hot as people want, I'm not a monster like Bronson.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit but it was an obvious flop the minute I saw the trailer (maybe even the minute it was announced)

I dunno why some people were predicting it would be a sleeper hit. Its gonna be lost in the glut of December releases

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit but it was an obvious flop the minute I saw the trailer (maybe even the minute it was announced)

I dunno why some people were predicting it would be a sleeper hit. Its gonna be lost in the glut of December releases

I hope not, it's one of the movies of the year.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Being animated and the animation style I think could turn some of the casual public off. Nerd circles are going nuts over the film, but not sure if the general public is going to bite on this one.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
You straight-up look like Tokka from TMNT2 post retirement.
tmnt2-header.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.