• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

ralph2ojfs8.png

thegrinchlwiuv.png

creed234fa7.png

fantasticbeasts2rmdbj.png

bohemianrhapsodystdze.png

'Ralph' Keeps No. 1 Away From Greedy 'Grinch' For Third Weekend In A Row With $16M+

After a nail-biting face-off between Disney's Ralph Breaks the Internet and Universal/Ilumination's The Grinch for No. 1 in the slowest of slowest weekends, Ralph won No. 1 by a distance, $16.1M to $15.1M. Essentially, Ralph 2 had the better Saturday over Grinch with roughly $7.8M to $7.2M. Similar to Thanksgiving openers before it, Moana and Coco, Ralph 2 notches a three-weekend No. 1 streak. Rivals believe that Ralph 2 will come in around $16.4M.

An interesting piece of B.O. trivia here is that it will rep the first time in box office history that two animated films have ruled the top two spots at the weekend B.O. for two weekends in a row. All previous instances where two feature toons shared the top two spots (i.e. Brave and Madagascar 3 in June 22-24, 2012; Beowulf and Bee Movie in Nov. 16-18, 2007; The Incredibles and Polar Express during Nov. 12-14, 2004 and A Bug's Life and Rugrats Movie over Nov. 27-29, 1998) were only confined to one weekend, and never extended into a second.

We'll have three animated features in the top ten next weekend when Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse arrives with a projected opening of $35M+, the first of many event pics to ring in the year-end holiday season. The movie arrives already an awards contender with a Golden Globe animated film nomination and NY Film Critics Circle win for Best Animated Film, and a 99% fresh on RT to top it off. The studio held paid sneaks on Friday night at 7PM and on Saturday at 2PM and we hear there was a terrific audience response with multiple sellouts in various locations.

Warner Bros./DC's Aquaman doesn't hold sneaks until Dec. 15 stateside, but it's already playing in China, and executives on the Burbank lot are so excited by the near $94M results, they're doing water follies. Aquaman dominated 85% of the Middle Kingdom's weekend business and drew $14M at 559 Imax venues, making is the best WB large-format debut ever in the market.

Paramount's Bumblebee also held paid 7PM sneaks last night at 325 theaters. We here that seats began to sell out as the night drew near. Given the amount of theaters that Bumblebee was playing out, it's sneak B.O. is not at the $1M-plus level as Sony's Amazon-promoted launches of Jumanji 2 ($1.86M) and Hotel Transylvania 3 ($1.3M) only because those titles previewed at 1,000-plus major circuit theaters. Bumblebee holds its Hollywood premiere tonight.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Aquaman - $94M opening in China - Third biggest superhero launch ever there after Infinity War and Venom

Venom - $851M
Bohemian Rhapsody - $597M
Fantastic Beasts 2 - $569M
A Star is Born - $370M
The Grinch - $322M
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - $140M
Creed 2 - $120M
Robin Hood - $66M
Widows - $65M
Mortal Engines - $18M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

CHINA Sunday Estimates

Aquaman 221m/652m -16.5%

Venom did minus 26%, all hail merciful Poseidon and the sweet embrace of the sea. It barely missed out on beating Venom on the Sunday, won't be long at all until it overtakes Venom in dailies with the presale multiples and holds. As soon as Monday after conversion.

A Cool Fish 15.6m / 746m -20%
Ralph 2 7.4m / 266.5m -4%
Einstein and Einstein 5.4m 20.2m -4%
Venom 3.45m / 1858m -26.6%
Johnny English 3 1.7m / 168m -14%
Adrift 1.6m /8m -36%
FB2 420k / 398.1m

May 10, 2018
Aquaman making bank. Interested to see how it does domestically with the competition.

I was thinking maybe $650 to $700 million but I think $800 million or more is very likely now.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I think that imgur images are still acting up, so I am in the process of rehosting them on Abload. Sorry if the OP is a bit broken atm.

Daemul

Dec 13, 2017
Scotland
Now I'm beginning to wonder if the DC Cinematic Universe would be better off just doing these solo movies instead of the whole team up thing(outside of Suicide Squad which wasn't your conventional team up movie).

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is the movie actually any good? Because the idea that throwing $250M at an Aquaman movie is just insane to me if its just average.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Now I'm beginning to wonder if the DC Cinematic Universe would be better off just doing these solo movies instead of the whole team up thing(outside of Suicide Squad which wasn't your conventional team up movie).
Nah, WB just needs to make good movies; like WW and Aquaman, first and foremost.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody is just a tad under $600M now, and is still strong enough overseas that we could see it approach or pass $700M worldwide.

EDIT: Actually, I read the weekend gross wrong. I thought that $29M was worldwide, but that was just the international weekend. The worldwide weekend was $35M. $700M is in good shape.

Last edited:

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
China loves those aqua movies. I remind that The Mermaid of Stephen Chow was a huge success three years ago.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

And as the Aquaman box office saga begins, the Venom saga wraps up.

$1.5M in China, $300k domestic, and $400k elsewhere this weekend. Venom will probably leg it past Thor Ragnarok to take its final place on the worldwide superhero chart. Until Aquaman bumps it down the list.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The movie opens in 2 days in my country but no one saying anything about Aquaman in Era. Are there no early screening for it?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I know it wasn't a wide release, but why was Into the Spiderverse not tracked?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And as the Aquaman box office saga begins, the Venom saga wraps up.

$1.5M in China, $300k domestic, and $400k elsewhere this weekend. Venom will probably leg it past Thor Ragnarok to take its final place on the worldwide superhero chart. Until Aquaman bumps it down the list.

Still outgrossing Infinity War like for like in China which did 3-5m over the 3 week. It's quietly going to do millions more over the extended run. (It still would have hit 855 pre adjustment, with the initial numbers on ent throughout the week :p that's one thing I need to keep an eye on better when having plugged in data). It will at the very least pass Thor. Shame about 880m though.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Venom turning out successful nearly broke Era

If Aquaman obtains similar success, we'll have to close this place down and move to Gamefaqs.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody is just a tad under $600M now, and is still strong enough overseas that we could see it approach or pass $700M worldwide.

EDIT: Actually, I read the weekend gross wrong. I thought that $29M was worldwide, but that was just the international weekend. The worldwide weekend was $35M. $700M is in good shape.
That's kinda nuts. Straight Outta Compton was the previous highest grossing music biopic and that "only" made around 200 million. I underestimated how much people love Queen.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

I wonder how much the inevitable Michael Jackson biopic will do

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the Grinch's staying power

Next week it should be over Wreck It Ralph 2, prety amazing the holds it has.

I wonder how much the inevitable Michael Jackson biopic will do
I feel like that there's enough baggage in this day and age with MJ that even if his estate dictated absolutely everything on what they could and couldn't show and gave us the most sanitized version of his life story imaginable, the public outcry for putting it into production might be strong enough to curtail it entirely, just on sheer principle. Queen and Freddie Mercury specifically never courted anywhere close to the same controversy over the years, and tossing in a more controversial act like NWA, there's nothing on their rap sheets like the child molestation claims that MJ could never shake off.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
(It still would have hit 855 pre adjustment :p)

I don't see how that is feasible. Entgroup totals are often slightly inflated, and $854M would have required what they had in China over the past 7 days, plus $2M from the rest of the world. If the weekend was only $700k, Venom wasn't much over $1M from Mon-Sun outside of China. Domestic Mon-Thurs was less than 150k. At best, overseas was double that.

Last weekend, Venom was sitting at $845.5M. This weekend it's $851.2M. So, a $5.7M difference. We'd have expected $7.3-7.4M using the entgroup totals (6.3M in China since last Sunday) and the likely rest of world gross from this week. Engroup's USD total for Venom in China is almost $3M higher than what Gavin is reporting, so that might have something to do with it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until Ep IX outgrosses TLJ.

More specifically, wait until Ep IX opens sightly lower than TLJ but then grosses more overall (but the narrative gets set early on that it's doing worse).

Having longer legs = better received. TLJ kind of died off quick. If IX opens lower and does betterbover time (like Rogue One but also in absolute terms) it will be a damning inditment of TLJ.

I'm interested in IX just to see if the trilogy is salvageable.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Having longer legs = better received. TLJ kind of died off quick. If IX opens lower and does betterbover time (like Rogue One but also in absolute terms) it will be a damning inditment of TLJ.

I'm interested in IX just to see if the trilogy is salvageable.
I just mean that there will a lot of different sides yelling at each other about what the gross means. It'll be nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.