• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I always find it strange when Unbreakable is spoken about like a "super hero" flick

It's too good of a film for that label

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This! Aquaman has more visual imagination then the new Star Wars'. That's crazy to think about.

For all of the numerous glaring faults of Lucas, he had some great sensibilities for fresh and/or interesting locales. A lot of the concept art from his ST treatment was more evocative. It seems like TFA->TLJ cribbed a lot from said treatment but normalized a lot of the locales and aesthetic.

IX should do better than TLJ I would think. JJ knows how to make a crowd pleaser and I doubt it will be as controversial as TLJ was

I still dont think it will be even close to 2B though

I don't know if the INT market will let it come in over TLJ. It SHOULD be up DOM but INT could neutralize those gains. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up flat/under or 1.4b. JJs marketing prowess may swing things though.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His movie was basically taken away from him, his original vision altered in significant ways. If WB didn't think he was a problem they wouldn't have brought in Joss Whedon to rewrite/reshoot his movie. He was almost 6 months into post-production when he was off the project.

I don't know why people are arguing with you. It seems like the revisionism goes on with the Snyder thing mostly seems as a generous reinterpretation due to the tragedy of his daughter.

She passed months before we heard that Snyder was off the project, but most crucially that dailies and screenings for the film were putrid. 'Unwatchable' was a word that got reported. Now sure WB wasn't going to kick his ass out the door given everything, but it's a big stretch to say that there Snyder wasn't removed from the project, or he walked as both sides were unhappy and he no doubt would not want to compromise the scope.

He was 6 months into post allegedly showed an assembly cut and THEN Josh gets brought in to do significant last minute, extensive, rewrites and reshoots that dramatically alter the very same aspects of the film that were a part of the toxic response to BvS, and outright remove key plot points that were to be used as a lead in the the sequel that was cancelled. Retooling the movie as a one and done affair? I just don't see why people are getting weird about this. It's pretty clear what went down.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
Aquaman being the #1 movie multiple weeks in a row is the most hopeful sign I've seen that the world line is finally shifting back from the bad ending Trump one to a weird but funny one.

1-196431dgu.png

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a very real possibility that the next attempt at a Justice League might not include Batman or Superman

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I think there's a very real possibility that the next attempt at a Justice League might not include Batman or Superman

If Shazam blows up its possible he could replace Superman in the next JL. But there will be a Batman. The character is too universally known there isn't a direct replacement that makes since.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I should rewatch Unbreakable soon. I've only seen it once, years ago, but I remember thinking it was really bad, like parody bad.

What having an opinion on JL?

I just didn't like the Whedon stuff at all. It felt really jarring and poorly done. I'm sure part of that was because it was all done last minute but I didnt like his additions

Whedon's additions are really jarring because it's two very different filmmakers' sensibilities crammed together in one movie, and the last-minuteness of the reshoots meant post was super rushed. Also Affleck looks like shit.

Well, not this Batman and Superman at least

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Superman is going to be in the next Justice League. Come on now, yall.

The only question is whether or not it'll be Cavill playing him (I'm betting no).

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Reeves has pretty much made it clear he wants his Batman completely separate from any extended universe plans WB may or may not have, especially if the rumors are true about Reeves waiting to go way younger for Bruce this time

The only way I can see Batman ending up in another JL film is if they wait for Reeves to finish his take and then recast again

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Reeves has pretty much made it clear he wants his Batman completely separate from any extended universe plans WB may or may not have, especially if the rumors are true about Reeves waiting to go way younger for Bruce this time

The only way I can see Batman ending up in another JL film is if they wait for Reeves to finish his take and then recast again

Reeves has said that his Batman movies will be Batman only films with no cameos from other JL members. Not that it won't be in the DCEU.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
They should quit making the "DCEU" a thing and just make standalones.
The "DCEU" was never really a thing. They don't even use that name internally; the closest we've to an official name for this universe is during WB's last Comic Con presentation when they introduced the DC portion as "The Worlds of DC."

It's clear they don't intend to do a big, multi-year story ala the MCU if they ever did. Just a bunch of mostly separate movies that take place in the same universe.

Oct 27, 2017
The "DCEU" was never really a thing. They don't even use that name internally; the closest we've to an official name for this universe is during WB's last Comic Con presentation when they introduced the DC portion as "The Worlds of DC."

It's clear they don't intend to do a big, multi-year story ala the MCU if they ever did. Just a bunch of mostly separate movies that take place in the same universe.
I am more than ok with that. That's how comics are most of the time anyway.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
They won't be the center of the marketing but they'll be there
Even the marketing for Justice League tried to emphasize Wonder Woman more than Batman.

The only potential wrench in putting Superman "into the back" as it were is that if they still intend to do the Legion of Doom, that means Lex Luthor kinda needs to be there as the leader of that group.

Oct 25, 2017
That number on Aquaman seems rather uhm... fishy.

But what a splash?

It's weird how this and Venom are doing completely different than I expected. Like, a Fishman going for a billion, nobody would have believed that one until 2018.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Gal gadot and Jason momoa use the DCEU name

Oct 28, 2017
I saw Mortal Engines today.

Honestly, the more big-budget movies I see the more I appreciate the quality of the new Star Wars movies. So many of these movies have trash writing.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I said this YEARS ago. Tell a bunch of their best stories like Killing Joke, Red Sun, Darkest Knight as standalones with no baggage.

Hell, recast the leads each time too.

Bruce Willis as Batman for The Dark Knight Returns...
The last director who got a good performance out of Bruce Willis was Reseteras arch nemesis Rian Johnson.

Looper top 10 sci fi this decade

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I said this YEARS ago. Tell a bunch of their best stories like Killing Joke, Red Sun, Darkest Knight as standalones with no baggage.

They can do both. In the end, people just want to see good movies. You make one good one, people will go to the next. The need for a universe isn't a requirement, just a goal

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
A Killing Joke movie would go over like a lead balloon these days. Much of the reverance for the story has been lost and modern audiences absolutely would not jive with what happens to Batgirl.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A Killing Joke movie would go over like a lead balloon these days. Much of the reverance for the story has been lost and modern audiences absolutely would not jive with what happens to Batgirl.
Too bad people hate Flash and Reverse flashes, so a Blitz animated movie would be ignored

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
IX should do better than TLJ I would think. JJ knows how to make a crowd pleaser and I doubt it will be as controversial as TLJ was

I still dont think it will be even close to 2B though
If it performs like the previous trilogies, $1.6-1.7 billion is about right. But who knows?

That number on Aquaman seems rather uhm... fishy.

Context is everything. Aquaman is the holiday blockbuster, much like Jumanji 2 got a nice run from being counter-programming to the sadder TLJ.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think either would work. And I can't remember another comic that's fallen so far out of favor at TKJ (and I totally understand why).

Too bad people hate Flash and Reverse flashes, so a Blitz animated movie would be ignored

Which reminds me, I need to re-read Blitz. That would be such a good fucking movie/cartoon/anything.

Nov 30, 2017
I wish Aquaman was a better movie. I would be over the moon with everything. I guess I can look forward to more badly written sequels of my fave character.

Status
Not open for further replies.